Avian Flu

No.

Birds are migrating by air. Therefore the virus in the bird moves. If it was an airborne infection, more people would have died in Asia from it.

I think. :D

Yes, the keeper at the bird park I went to today said it will arrive in Britain via migrating birds. And there will be millions of these this autumn and winter, even mundane birds like starlings and blackbirds.

Muauhahaha... we really don't get birds here that would carry that virus... only a few but... not as many as other countries :D

Ok, I really don`t want to scare anyone, but it`s has just been found in a parrot in the UK. :eek: Here is the link for you

Hmm, I don't think it is the same strain of virus that is the most dangerous for us at the moment. But I dunno.:p

I really hope not, Im starting to get a bit freaked out about the bird flu now. I’m hoping that it won’t be that bad, if it is the same strain or when/if it comes, we will have hopefully has some sort of good preparation for it.

We won't have enough preparations for it. We only have like 2.4 million jabs for the birdflu but doesnt stop it, just helps. And the actual flu jab for the virus strain, it will take up to 6 months. :eek: Andddd it's predicted that the deadly virus strain will come here in a month.

I think that parrot that died only had the flu from Taiwan and was not the kind of strain that was deadly.

kazzy, at present there is no human vaccine for the current highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) strain H5N1 that's been the scourge of Asia and now has crept into Europe. Work is ongoing on the human vaccine and the research groups and vaccine companies are under a great deal of pressure to allow the vaccine to become available as quickly as possible.

The idea behind getting vaccinated with the current recommended WHO 'flu vaccines (humans) is to prevent viral genetic reassortment if human individuals become infected by an avian influenza virus.

It is a sound testament to the UK's robust animal quarantine procedures that the virus was rapidly identified and contained within the quarantine premises.

I thought the parrot had come from South America? :confused:

*goes to check the news*

Yes, the bird itself was imported from south america, but the parrot was mixed with birds that had come from Taiwan, so yes sorry kazzy, you're right, it had flu virus from Taiwan. It's too early in the morning *mutters* ;)

But at least it died in quarantine, which means UK is still disease-free from the virus (so far). Now they are testing whether it could mutate to infect humans :eek:

Here is the full new story from the BBC if anyone would like to read more :) Bird flu parrot in UK

Wasn't there a little 7 year old boy in Taiwan who got it? his dad died from it just 2 days before - but the doctors are saying the boy's surviving it somehow *wonders*

Yeah. Not all people will die from the virus. Our government had said that 1/4 of our people will get it and fall ill. So I guess most people will just get ill and not die from it.

1/4 will get it? Youchers, thats still a big number though - but i think theyll find something to cure it, i heard theyre working on a vaccine right now in Asia i just saw it on CNN. i hope it works

Keeping as many parrots and birds as I do I am more concerned for them than I am myself so they are now all inside my conservatory and that's where they will stay until this thing is over.
Personally, I'm asthmatic and allergic to the flu jab so I guess I'll have to be extra careful.

Some of the latest news on the current bird flu scare in Europe:

Turkey meat examined for bird flu

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) is investigating whether meat infected with bird flu could have entered the food chain.

It reassured consumers that infected turkey posed no risk to human health if the meat was properly cooked.

But the government's chief scientist Professor Sir David King warned turkey products may have to be recalled.

Officials now believe the H5N1 strain of the virus found in Suffolk is linked to one found in Hungary last month.

A spokesman for Sainsbury's reported that the chain's poultry sales have dropped by 10% this week.

Bernard Matthews, the firm at the centre of the UK outbreak, has denied breaching rules on imports of meat.

Rest of the article and more info can be found here :)

Back