Avian Flu

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Guest, Oct 19, 2005.

1. wibble

wibble Corpse

Wait...Avian Flu?

I'm going on field visit to bird park tomorrow! I've only just put two and two together :lol:

I've never been there before but I hope birds will be okay there. I'm interested to know if they'll have put any precautions in place like disinfecting wellington boots yet.

2. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Head of the Swing Shift

I’m sure you will be okay wibble :D you may have to wash your feet thou!

Surely they must be taking precautions over here, I remember the outbreak of foot & mouth I couldn`t go anywhere with being washed down (I was working in a field at the time).

I’m kind of hoping that the birdflu will blow over – wishful thinking on my part I think. :rolleyes:

3. HoratioAndMe

HoratioAndMe Captain

I believe that the threat is real. A lot of people aren't taking it that way. They act as if the world around them isn't happening, when people should take every precaution to avoid getting this.

4. kazzy

kazzy Head of the Swing Shift

I wasn't getting that worried about it butin the newspaper, it said that up to 50,000 people will die. 1 in 4 will fall ill from the virus strain. And the most affected areas will be children/young teens. I just....I dunno. Perhaps the government is overreacting. But there are also not enough vaccinations for everyone so...

*bites nails*

5. wibble

wibble Corpse

I read in the newspaper today that Britain are ordering 120 million bird flu vaccines (2 for each person), ready when/if the virus hits the country, so don't worry kazzy - apparently we'll be one of the most prepared countries if the worst does happen :) (but then, you can't believe everything you read in the newspapers :lol: ). I also read that the drug company who produce the vaccine (Roche) are thinking about giving up their patent for the vaccine (which lasts until 2016), so other companies can join in to produce the emergency supply needed.

I think it's important to be aware of the threat, but not worry too much. Who knows what will happen?

6. LaneyViperGurl

LaneyViperGurl Rookie

Thats it, I'm moving to Britain. At least then I can be sure there's some prepartion. *Now how do I get across an ocean in a Ford Focus? :confused: :lol: ;)*

7. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Nordic countries are also planning to have some own vaccine production against this.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Has anyone read what's in Newsweek about the vaccine and why the US isn't getting their supply until late? There are several states before the USA, that's why.

9. kazzy

kazzy Head of the Swing Shift

Apparently that company that was producing, it had to talk to other companies that came from other countries to compare the virus strain.

Anddddd also, apparently that same company also makes the Flu vaccine for the old people so if they're producing the Bird Flu vaccine, how are they supposed to create some for the Flu for the old people..? See, I should read more than one newspaper to get all of the information. :p

10. Roka4csi

Roka4csi Coroner

Great room you guys - do you think it would fit more in the Forensic Science Thread? We have a room open there about The Flu - more of discovering it through the samples of it... err the room's called Rebuiling the H1N1 Virus (Bird Flu) by Resurrecting Dead DNA
    Desert_researcher always has interesting articles to post so look out for that.
    Personally, i'm not afraid of it as much as i should be - they found some dead chickens in southern Lebanon, everyone freaked out - but like all other epidemics, it either kills half the population or just gives the media something to focus on for a while until scientists discover a way to solve it.
    Kinda tough to do sicne you cant even come in contact with it... reminds me of something... ooh Anthrax.

11. drkate

drkate Corpse

oh dear... just found out that some birdies in australia are carrying birdy flu pathogens... thats just fantastic... *is scared* i really hope it doesnt mutate so that its easily transmissable between humans or... we're screwed!

12. Roka4csi

Roka4csi Coroner

lol just stay home for life!
    Actually i have a feeling it should be dying out as quickly as the anthrax did. Just do your best to avoid eating chicken for now and i cant tell you to avoid pigeons cuz theyre everywhere :lol:

13. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

It's not really working like that... besides, chicken, if you don't cook it well enough, can give you salmonella, which isn't nice either.

It's just... I think it's easier compare it to SARS. Doesn't change my habits.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

What about Thanksgiving? Turkey is a huge tradition in a lot of families.

15. Roka4csi

Roka4csi Coroner

I know DaWacko - there's basically a risk involved in everything nowadays. There isn't really a way to avoid this. Its travelling by air now isnt it?