An *untitled* Horatio/Yelina fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by schelle73, Nov 21, 2005.

1. schelle73

schelle73 Witness

Re: Until we meet again

Everything moved in slow motion for Horatio. He had fired the gun and shot his brother. (Oh God! His brother! Move past that, move past it, then what?) He’d run forward and caught his brother in his arms before he hit the floor. And then, something hit Him; he lost the strength in his left arm. He lost his grip on his brother, couldn’t keep him from hitting the floor, couldn’t keep from hitting the floor himself. Now he lay here, each breath came harder, he felt weaker with every beat of his heart. (What did he need to do? Think, man, think!) His cell phone, he’d grabbed his cell phone, put it in his pocket. (Yes! In his pocket, that’s where he’d put it.) He reached for his phone, opened it and dialed 911. In a fading voice, with the last of his strength he told the dispatcher who he was and that they needed help. As the dispatcher pressed for more information, she received no answers.
    Simultaneously another call came in to the dispatch center. Someone had heard gunshots next door. The address she gave was Lt. Caine’s. Police and ambulance were sent to his apartment with the call of ‘Shots fired’ and ‘Officer down’. At the crime lab, the team that worked with Horatio was just getting off shift. As they heard the call and recognized his address, they remained on duty and raced to his apartment. Yelina Salas was in her bedroom unpacking when she heard the call over the scanner. Her heart skipped as she ran to her car and headed towards his apartment as well.
    When Yelina arrived, followed closely by Calleigh, patrol officers had already checked his apartment and were at the door communicating their find. The women walked swiftly into the apartment, where they were directed to the bedroom. What they saw caused both of them to stop momentarily and catch their breath. It was not immediately discernible whether the two men were alive or dead. As a team, Yelina and Calleigh bent down and felt for their pulses, each finding them with considerable difficulty, and communicating to the other she had with a nod. When the patrol officer told them that the ambulance had arrived, Yelina breathed a silent prayer of relief. The arriving paramedics did a quick assessment, scooping up the two brothers and taking them to the ambulance to work on them en route to the hospital.
    Yelina told Calleigh she would ride to the hospital with them, and when Calleigh nodded, hurried after the paramedics. When Eric and Ryan arrived, Calleigh left them to process the scene and followed the ambulance to the hospital. She arrived in time to see the ambulance doors being shut. She walked in, found Yelina, and stood by her in silent support as they watched the two gurneys being pushed into O.R.

2. CHILI_PEPPERS

CHILI_PEPPERS Pathologist

ohhh i cant wait for some more , to see what happens to the caine brothers!! this i s soooooooooooooooooooooo good i cant wait !!

3. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

Brilliant writing Schell. :)

4. Guest

Guest Guest

:eek: phew! this story is SO GOOD!

5. schelle73

schelle73 Witness

Yelina turned and walked down the hallway towards the waiting area. She hugged her elbows to her body and paced slowly. Everywhere she looked, she saw Raymond, Horatio, and the blood. She’d seen their wounds on the ambulance, and she was still stunned.
    Raymond had been shot, and even as the paramedics had treated him, the bleeding had slowed to a near stop. It had to have been ‘clean’, and hit nothing more than soft tissue as it passed through his body. She knew instinctively as he had been pushed down the hall with an I.V in his arm that he was going to make it.
    She wished, with all her heart, she could say the same for Horatio. He had been stabbed, and the knife must have been dragged out for the wound to be so large. She’d seen the concern flash in the paramedics’ eyes as they struggled to slow the bleeding. From what she could tell, it never had. They’d apply pressure with a bandage, and when that soaked through it would be replaced with another, and another. Even the last one they had applied at the hospital doors was turning red as they rushed down the hallway to O.R.
    Calleigh came up beside Yelina. As they walked together they spoke quietly, trying to puzzle out what had happened.

6. schelle73

schelle73 Witness

Raymond Caine blinked as the room came slowly into focus, it spun each time he did. He pushed with his hands against the bed to sit up, and found he could not. But his movement caught someone’s attention. He heard someone get out of a chair, heard the clicking of a heel on the floor. Yelina’s face swam into his vision.
    “Ray, you’re awake.” The statement was made simply, in that rich timbre of hers.
    “Yeah. What’s going on?” His own voice surprised him. Little more than a whisper came out, and it required so much effort.
    “You were shot.” Even as he heard the words, his mind tried to wrap fingers around it.
    “What do you mean, ‘I was shot’? Who…how?”
    He watched Yelina as she shook her head. The set in her jaw told his sluggish mind she had another agenda.
    “I need to know what happened at Horatio’s apartment. I thought you were still in Brazil.”
    Ray looked away from Yelina, towards the window. He saw a pitcher of water on the table, and asked for a drink. Yelina helped him take a sip, and then stepped back, waiting for an answer.
    “I was still in Brazil. And you weren’t. I was confused. Heard you hang up the phone one night. The next day you were gone, telling me you needed to think. I followed you on the next flight. Saw you at the house. Didn’t understand, why he’d called you back here. He’d let you go, again. Again.”
    Ray asked for another sip of water, and tried to take a deep breath. He closed his eyes and leaned his head back against the pillow, gathering his failing strength back.
    “Went to his apartment, to wait for him. Sat outside a long time. So long, decided to go inside and wait. Walked through, taking a look I guess. Went in his bedroom, got to thinking. You and him, and… you know. Started getting madder and madder. Don’t remember after that.”
    Ray paused, thinking, trying to put two and two together. The inability to remember what had happened at the apartment, and the fact he had been shot. A thought occurred to him, and he glanced at Yelina.
    “Where’s Horatio? Out tearing himself apart because he thought I was an intruder and shot me? Go get him, tell him I’m fine. Shouldn’t have been in there.
    Yelina pursed her lips at this question, and looked out the window. She took a shaky breath, thinking of a way to answer.
    “Horatio is still in surgery.” She paused. “He was stabbed. The knife blade nicked an artery and pierced a lung. The doctors are doing what they can, he may not be out for a while.”
    Yelina felt like she had said too much. She was still upset after talking to the doctors. There was more to what they had told her. It was still touch and go. So much damage had been done. Once Horatio came out of surgery (she was Not going to say ‘If’!), it was going to be a long recovery period.
    Yelina glanced at Ray. He had let his head fall back on the pillow again. He opened his mouth to say more, she shook her head and told him to get some rest. She could see he was struggling to stay awake now as it was. More could wait until later.

7. CHILI_PEPPERS

WOOOW I LOVE THIS SOO MUCH!! I LOVE IT I CANT WAIT FOR MORE!!!

8. schelle73

schelle73 Witness

:( I have a block!!!! :mad:

9. schelle73

schelle73 Witness

As Ray shut his eyes and let sleep take over, Yelina turned, looking at the two other people in the room. They had not spoken as Yelina and Ray had talked. Frank Tripp was the detective over the case, and Calleigh was still there from earlier. Their grim faces mirrored her own. They had all hoped for more, a different explanation. They left the room together.
    They walked silently down the hallway; Frank awkwardly patted Yelina’s shoulder in support. Calleigh fell behind as her cell phone rang and she answered it. She caught up with them again in the waiting room as they were pouring coffee. She hoped Yelina wouldn’t begin to blame herself for any of this, and lightly touched Yelina’s arm.
    Calleigh sipped at the coffee that Frank had given her as she began to speak in a quiet voice and told them what the lab had found out. The gun and knife had been tested and fingerprints had been taken. The news, while unsettling, only served to support what they had been given no choice but to think. The only fingerprints in the apartment were Horatio’s and Ray’s. The only sign of struggle had been in the bedroom. Horatio’s blood and Ray’s fingerprints were on the knife. The bullet was definitely from Horatio’s gun.
    Frank and Calleigh had been glancing at Yelina occasionally as the news was told. Admirably enough, they thought, she’d shown little outward effect to it. Her hand had shaken momentarily once as she lifted the coffee cup to her lips. Granted she’d kept her eyes averted to the coffee cup most of the time, but no tears had fallen. When she did finally look up at them as Calleigh finished, her jaw was set firmly. She was as ready as they to get through this.
    A doctor walked into the waiting room, looking for…someone. Yelina realized it was the same doctor she had spoken to a while earlier. He was difficult to recognize, he looked so haggard now compared to when she had first spoken to him. She walked towards him; her two companions close behind her. They were all desperate to hear how Horatio was doing.
    The update from the doctor was brief. Horatio was in recovery and his vital signs were poor. He couldn’t have any visitors until he was moved into a room, which would probably be in ICU first. The surgeons had repaired all they could; now it was up to Horatio. He had to be strong enough to pull himself back from the cliff he was hanging on. They would hopefully be able to update his status early in the afternoon.
    Yelina watched as the doctor walked back down the hall, pushing through the doors separating the O.R. from the waiting area and patient rooms. She felt a shiver travel her spine as she looked at the split. Here on this side was her husband. On that side was Horatio. Which side did she want to be on? In a flash, her heart answered the question, and only after a slight hesitation her mind followed. The time she needed to think had passed; she knew what she wanted to do next. She had made her choice, and now all she needed to do was get him healed, get him out of here and back with her.

10. CHILI_PEPPERS

AHHH poor yelina torn beetween horatio and raymond i hope horatio makes it!!! i love this soooooooooooo much i cant wait for more your such a good writer

11. schelle73

schelle73 Witness

Horatio knelt by the sea, dipping his hands into the water to wash the blood off. He knew, in the act, that it wouldn't come off. He looked across the water, seeing once again his brother falling after the bullet hit him. His bullet. He tucked his head again, and dipped his hands again, something he had repeated numerous times already. His brother was dead, by his hand. The part of him that saw this didn't convey to him whether he was alive, or dead, in this hell. He knew what he deserved to be, and almost wanted to be.

The first sun rays of the morning touched the window, illuminating in a bright halo the woman standing in front of it. She watched as it rose, too cheerful and bright after such a sorrowful night, and turned away from it. She turned towards the bed, and the man sleeping in it, noting the steady rise and fall of his chest. The sun would be halfway to its peak before she could see his brother, and assure herself with her own eyes that he was also, in fact, breathing.
    As the sun invaded the room and brushed across his face, Raymond awoke, slowly opening his eyes, blinking against the glare. As his eyes adjusted, he saw her, standing there as she was last night, but different. Her body language spoke volumes, his mind chewing slowly as observations were fed in.
    “Horatio?” He was the first to break the silence.
    Her eyes bored into him as she spoke, “He's out of surgery, out of recovery, in Intensive Care” She shrugged in worry and doubt, “Alive, for the moment. The doctor says much now depends on his strength to pull through.”
    Raymond watched her silently. His mind had begun to work at a more normal pace, analyzing the way she spoke last night, what she was saying now without speaking. As he came to terms with the things he needed to say, and put the words together, he realized that it didn't hurt nearly as much as he thought it would.
    “You know as well as I he'll have a better chance of pulling through if he's not mentally beating himself up, thinking he killed me.”
    Yelina nodded, she'd already considered that.
    “Yelina, ... You go on, go help him through, tell him I'm alive until I can get there and show him myself. I don't want to be the cause of my big brother's death anymore than he wants to be the cause of mine. If it were me, I'd have a hard time pulling anything strong enough if I thought that I was. And if it were me... I'd want my heart beside me too.”
    Yelina nodded again, unwilling to speak, to choke on her words. She didn't need to say anything about her decision, he'd said it for her. She walked closer to the bed, bending down and kissing his cheek, a silent Thank You.

12. schelle73

schelle73 Witness

As Yelina’s chin reached her chest, she jerked awake. The sun had yet to rise, and she knew full well that the dream she’d had was only that, a dream. She didn’t really believe Ray was going to make it that easy on her. Not after what he’d done to Horatio in a fit of anger because he thought Horatio had called her back and they were ‘involved’.
    It had been a long morning already; she had come into Ray’s room shortly after talking to the doctor, waiting for Ray to wake up. She was surprised she’d even been able to fall asleep, as tied up with worry as she was. She wished that the sun would rise quickly, so she could see Horatio with her own eyes, touch him and let him know she was there.
    Yelina walked to window, slanting the blinds open to watch the horizon. It was beginning to blush; the sun was near to rising. Within a handful of hours now, she would be able to see him. She listened to Ray’s breathing; it wasn’t so deep; he would wake soon. Horatio’s would not be so even, she knew.
    As the sun began to peek, a nurse entering the room caused her to turn around. It was a different nurse than she had spoken to earlier, signing Ray’s admission papers. Thankfully, the nurse had been helpful in making sure the right papers got filed to keep his presence here unknown, and his room private. As far as she knew, it was still not safe for him to be here in the states. They had filed new papers, new names, for him in Brazil. These were the ones she signed him in with.
    She drew herself out of her thoughts as the nurse left. Ray was awake now, and she closed the door behind the nurse.
    On the other side of the door, the nurses heard the door lock, and their voices begin. As one hour, and then another wore on, the voices rose occasionally, in the end finally staying low. Just as the breakfast trays arrived, the woman came out of the room, leaving the door ajar and walking down the hallway. As the nurse walked in with the tray, she found the man sitting up against his pillows, looking pensive and red eyed.
    Yelina walked back down the hall towards the waiting area, and elevators. She still had over an hour before she could see Horatio, and she needed to get some coffee, and food. She wasn’t sure if anybody from the department would be here, either from last night or new this morning. Either way, she wouldn’t have been surprised. However, as she saw Rick Stetler walking towards her and saw the look on his face, HE was surprised to see HER.
    “Yelina?! What are you doing here? You’re supposed to be in… I mean, I thought you were on vacation.”
    ‘Idiot’, she thought, as she said, “ I was, and am, on vacation. I was just getting back home when I heard about Horatio on the radio, and came over to see how he was doing.”
    “That’s great, Yelina. Say, can I talk to you for a minute, privately? Maybe in this room here? Would that be alright?”
    Yelina humored Rick and followed him into the empty room. She didn’t think that he would be stupid enough to try anything, after the last time. As she walked into the room, and heard Rick lock the door behind him, she began to think she might have been wrong. Turning around and seeing the look on his face settled it. And there was nothing this time for her to use on him. Settling her shoulders she glared at him.
    “What do you want, Stetler?”
    “Plain and simple, Yelina. Where’s Raymond?”
    Even as the shock registered and she began to see how things connected, she scoffed. “What are you talking about? Raymond is in the same place now that he has been since his funeral.”
    “Don’t treat me like I’m stupid, Yelina. I know that Horatio found out Raymond was still alive, and I know he got him out of the country. Coincidentally enough, the same time you began your vacation. Now, you’re back, Horatio has shot someone and is the hospital himself. So, where’s Raymond?”
    “I don’t know.”
    Stetler’s hand came at her too quickly for her to stop it or get out of range. Her ears rang as he struck her face, with great effort she stayed on her feet. In her momentary daze he grabbed her wrist and brought her close to him.
    “I said, where’s Raymond?”
    Yelina glared at him and shook her head as she told him again, “I don’t know.”
    Stetler struck her again, and the only thing that kept her up this time was the grip he had on her wrist.
    “Let’s try this another way then, Yelina. I believe that the person Horatio shot was Raymond, and I believe Raymond is the reason Horatio is here. So, which room is Raymond in?”
    Yelina shook her head again, as she denied what Rick was saying. Before she could open her mouth to speak, Rick punched her in the stomach.
    “Think about it, Yelina, and watch out for yourself. Powerful people are looking for Raymond, and I’ve promised to deliver him to them. Keep out of their, and my, way.”
    As she leaned against one of the beds for support, she watched Rick walk out and down the hallway. She rested her head briefly on the rail, catching her breath and swallowing the pain. She stood slowly and walked into the bathroom connected to the room. Looking in the mirror, she dabbed at the blood, cleaning it off her face, and brushing her hair back with her hands. As she walked out, she glanced at the clock. She had enough time to get a cup of coffee, and than she needed to get to Horatio’s room.
    She was pretty sure she knew now who had made that phone call to him. And she suspected Calleigh would be close to Horatio’s room as well. She could tell her what she knew; Calleigh and Frank ought to be able to get this sorted out for Horatio. If nothing else, if they could catch up to Stetler, and make things difficult for him for a while.
    Yelina walked slowly down the hall, stepping into the waiting room and grabbing a cup of coffee. She noted each person that was there, she recognized one person from the police department and nodded. She took the coffee with her as she headed to Horatio’s room. She would have the luxury later of giving into the pain, but for now, someone else needed her more. She walked through the doors and saw Calleigh and Frank and the doctor standing outside a room. They stopped talking until Yelina was able to join them, and then the doctor continued.
    “Like I said, I had hoped for a little more than what we’ve seen this morning. He doesn’t seem to want to fight. The anesthesia should be worn off, but he’s not made any attempts to move or to awaken. I hope he improves some during the day. I should be able to better tell you this afternoon.”
    Yelina saw the concern on her face mirrored on Calleigh and Frank’s face as the doctor continued his rounds. She sacrificed a few precious minutes to update Calleigh and Frank with what had occurred and what she knew. As she promised to let them know how Horatio looked, and they promised to take care of things, they parted ways.
    Yelina steeled herself as she opened the door to Horatio’s room. The room was dim; the machines attached to him silenced or quiet. The pump and hiss of the respirator was a faded background noise as she stared at the figure on the bed. His back was to her, covered in white bandaging freshly changed, his shock of red hair stood out boldly on the pillow. She walked slowly around the foot of the bed to look at his face. His eyes were closed, his eyebrows red slashes against a pale background, his lips barely pink.
    His hands were above the neatly folded cover, as pale as his face. She pulled a chair close so she could sit by him and gently took hold of the nearest one. She bent her head and kissed the top of it, then rested her cheek on it as she allowed the tears to flow quietly. How she wished he was awake so she could talk to him, she could tell him Raymond was alive, that things were being taken care of, she loved him and wanted to be with him. She chose the things that seemed most important and whispered them to him, not wanting to break the quiet anymore than that, and not sure he could hear her, anyway.
    Horatio had found a place to sit, and was watching for the gates of hell to open up for him. There was nowhere else he deserved to go. He looked up in the sky as it looked like a storm was brewing. Lightning raced across the sky, the wind whistled, sounding like whispers. As he contemplated this, he began to realize this was no storm. There was only person who could make his nerves race, the lightning flashes if you would. Yelina. He backed into a cave. He would hurt her no longer. Did she know he’d killed her husband, his brother? There was little way she couldn’t.
    As the rain began to fell, he bowed his head as his own tears fell. God only knew how she was cursing him as she cried over the second loss of her husband, this time by his hand.
    He’d gone over it in his head time and again. He’d taken a killing shot; he’d thought he’d been left no choice. He perceived a threat that he didn’t see any other way to stop.
    Even if she found it somewhere deep in her to forgive him, even if she was even now whispering that forgiveness to him, he could not forgive himself. Of all people, he should have recognized his brother. To take that shot at him was unforgivable, to actually kill him even more so.
    He stood and walked deeper into the cave he’d entered. If hell wasn’t going to come to him, he’d go and find it himself.
    The hour she’d been given to visit Horatio this morning was over. At least she knew he breathed, his heart beat and he was alive. She stood, her tears dry, and gave the machines a passing glance as she began to go out. Their read outs gave her pause. She had not looked at them when she had come in, but somehow it seemed to her that his heartbeat had slowed. She muddled in her head whether that was good, okay, or bad. She tucked it away as something to ask the doctor about when she saw him this afternoon.
    Yelina left the hospital to go home, take a quick nap, change her clothes and get a bite to eat. On the way, she called Calleigh, keeping her promise. She knew there was still someone from the department at the hospital, and they would call her if anything happened.
    Her thoughts wandered as she took a shower, and lay down. She found they wandered with enough specificity to keep her from sleeping. She’d seen up close the shot Raymond had taken. She knew that for all intents he should have been dead. The shot looked like it had meant to kill, a last resort. The momentum of his body toward Horatio must have changed the path enough to keep it from killing. Amazing, really. But if you had taken a shot like that, you would really believe you had killed the victim. She had to let Horatio know somehow that Raymond was alive. A part of her believed that if he wasn’t fighting, that was why. She shook her head; she’d see what happened this afternoon.
    She shut her eyes, and slept. It was short and troubled, riddled with glimpses of possible futures. Graveside services for Horatio. Days spent by his side at hospital until she couldn’t stay anymore, as he never awoke. Raymond at Horatio’s grave, and then killing himself because He had killed His brother. Explaining to Ray Jr. what had happened to his father and his uncle.
    Morning moved into afternoon, and Yelina arrived at the hospital again. She had to know if his condition had improved. She approached the waiting room and saw Calleigh and Frank already there. Together they went to I.C.U, and located the doctor. The grim look on his face gave them a preview of what they faced.
    “I’m sorry, detectives”, the doctor said as he should his head sadly. “Lieutenant Caine is not getting any better. In all honesty, he is getting worse. His vital signs have deteriorated. I’m not going to be able to allow any visitors but family, and them only for a short while.”
    “Really”, he continued, “It’s a little surprising. I’ve met the lieutenant before, when he’s been in for different reasons, different people. He always seemed quite determined, a fighter. It’s almost like he doesn’t have anything fight for.”
    Yelina’s insides jumped as she heard him say this. “Doctor, I’m family, I really must be able to go in and see him.”
    The doctor looked at her carefully, and slowly nodded his head. “ I won’t need to remind you, just for a short while. And he can hear what you say, even while unconscious. Don’t say anything to upset him. There’s a delicate balance in there right now.”
    Yelina nodded her head and thanked him as she moved past him and into Horatio’s room. There was a nurse in the room who left as Yelina sat in the chair. She picked up the hand she’d held this morning; it was colder to the touch. Tears filled her eyes as she held it close in both her hands, warming it. She leaned closer, gently brushing her lips across his cheek before putting her mouth close to his ear.
    “Horatio”, she quietly spoke, “Horatio, if you can hear me, please listen. Raymond didn’t die, he’s fine, and he’s going to make it. We need you to fight to get better, Horatio, please. I need you here with me. Please, don’t leave me, Horatio.”
    Tears fell as she spoke, she gently wiped his face dry of them as she stood up. A quiet knock sounded on the door, signaling that her time was up. She gave his hand one final squeeze, placing it gently on the cover, and forced herself to walk out of the room. From this point, she had to be strong no matter what happened, he would want her to be.

13. sissi59100

sissi59100 CSI Level Three

Awwwwwwwwww :( i don't want him to die :(

That's the first time i read a yelina/horatio story and that's really good, brilliantly written....

Good work!

Sissi

14. polina

polina Rookie

Oh ... it ` s so sad and so nice ...

there isn` t much Horatio / Yelina stories
    and your is wonderful

15. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

Amazing schell. Such a welcome update and brilliantly written. :)