An *untitled* Horatio/Yelina fanfiction

Re: Until we meet again

“Hey, Horatio! I saw that you were here. I’ve been trying to get hold of you the last few days to let you know I was coming home. I always got a busy signal, and you were never at work. Is everything alright at the …lab?” she trailed off as she put down her suitcase and looked at him. Horatio had walked down nearly to the bottom, and she could see his face clearly. “Is everything alright?” she repeated. Horatio cleared his throat in a vain attempt to move the lump as he opened his mouth to speak. “Yeah…Yelina?” He cleared his throat again, looking at her again, drinking her in. “How was your flight…to Brazil?” Yelina was confused, but she answered, “It was fine. We tried to call you when we landed, to let you know. We left a message on your voice mail, and a message at the lab…” She shook her head, “What’s this about? You didn’t get the message? You thought something happened?” She walked closer to him as she spoke. She looked at the pain in his face; his unshed tears shining in his eyes. “What, Horatio?”
Horatio looked down briefly, and then looked back at her. It hurt to look away. “You crashed…I thought you crashed. I received a phone call, that same night. A man said the plane crashed before it ever arrived. There weren’t any survivors. You were all dead.” Emotion rushed over Yelina. She could only imagine, if he felt as strongly for her as she did for him, how much he had been hurting. She longed to grasp him to her, to embrace him, to let him feel her and know she was real. She raised a hand, shaking, and placed it on his face, cupping his cheek. She felt him press slightly against her hand. “I am so very sorry you thought that, Horatio. I am here now. I’ve missed you, so very much.” He looked into her eyes, searching. She nodded her head. She stepped closer, and embraced him. “I’ve missed you, Horatio”, she whispered again. She felt his body trembling under her arms, and hung on.

Slowly, Horatio regained control of his emotions. He forced himself to step back from Yelina, putting his hands on her shoulders momentarily as he did. He glanced at her face briefly and then looked down, noticing for the first time the photo still in his hands. His imagination ran quickly, flashing images: they were still embracing; his hands running through her hair, framing her face; kissing her forehead, the bridge of her nose; tasting her lips once again. His lips tightened in a smile and he looked back up at her again.
“So, Yelina, what’s going on? You said you’ve been trying to call me. You’re home early… where’s Ray… and the boy?”
Yelina had also taken a step back when Horatio had. She could have easily stayed there in his arms for much longer. But reality had stepped in and shown its face. Her husband, Horatio’s brother, was in fact still alive. After all these years that they thought he’d been dead, he was alive. But he had changed, just like she had, and their relationship had changed with them. That’s what she had come back for. She needed some time to figure out what to do next.
Yelina pursed her lips, deciding what she wanted to say. “Um…Ray is still in Brazil. I needed some time alone… to think. I brought Ray Jr home with me; he’s at my mother’s house. I was calling you to let you know that I was coming home, and that you didn’t need to watch the house anymore.”
Horatio nodded his head. His mind was racing ahead; he needed to find some things out himself. “Alright, if you need to talk, you know where I am. I’m glad you’re safe.” On his way out the door, he stopped to place the photo on the end table.

I'm really glad that you decided to start writing this again. I was left on a cliff hanging for quite a bit of time, but it was worth the wait! Eloquently written and inspiring as always.

Me too. I was really hoping you would continue with it Schell. It's wonderful to read, and so typically H/Y ie. heartbreaking, yet bittersweet too. :)

He stepped inside the Hummer, settling into his seat and hesitated only briefly before he started the ignition and pulled it out of the driveway. He needed to find out who called that night (if anyone did, God forbid it was all a dream!) and he needed to get his gun and badge. He needed to get back to work, back on track. He had thought quickly, and decided. He was making a brief stop at the lab, ordering phone records for his phone, and then he would take them with him to his apartment, and retrieve his things. It made sense. If no one had actually called, those phone records would prove that it had all been a dream. He would take them home, tuck them in a drawer and try to forget all of it. But, he doubted he was so susceptible. He’d bet money that someone HAD called, and he’d raise that bet on the certainty that it wasn’t going to show on the caller id. Someone wanted him to believe his family was dead. The question was who and why. He wanted to find out as soon as possible, and be ready to defend shortly after.
Not long after Horatio had pulled into the parking lot at the lab, he was back out again with a folder in his hands. He drove quickly home. He had glanced at the records as he walked out and someone had, in fact, called. An anonymous cell phone number was the only information it gave him. Probably a ‘disposable’ cell phone, things did not look good.
The sun was setting as he arrived at his apartment. He arrived at his door in quick strides, he felt naked without his badge and gun. The doorknob turned as he turned his key. It wasn’t locked, and it had definitely been locked when he left. He slid quietly in the door and slowly opened the drawer he had shut on his weapon weeks before. He searched each room from there silently, his gun at the ready. Each room as he went back was clear. As he entered his bedroom, he saw a figure in the corner by his nightstand. He aimed his gun carefully, and demanded to see their hands.

“You’ve always loved her” the figure whispered, inaudible by the time it reached Horatio’s ears. His aim faltered only slightly, then steadied once again.” What?”
“I’ve always known that. It was okay, you were my brother, and wouldn’t go any further. But now, big brother…” He continued to whisper. All that reached Horatio’s ears were hisses. His skin tingled, his eyes striving to cut through the dim light to ascertain whether this person had any weapons. They were just standing there, unmoving, whispering at him.
Suddenly, the person exploded out of the corner, racing towards him, arm raised and screaming at him that he had taken someone away. He instinctively fired the gun. But even as the bullet was leaving the chamber, he recognized who the person was, and what he had done. He threw down his weapon and lunged forward to catch his brother. As Horatio’s arms wrapped around him, Raymond used his last strength to plunge the knife into him. The brothers fell to the floor, their limbs entangled, their blood mingling on the floor around them.

oh nooooooo you cant stop there !!!!!all of this is fantastic!!! i cant wait for more!well done i love it

Back