American Idol

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by ziggystarduzt, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaddyAnn

MaddyAnn Lab Technician

Tonight was the part one of the finale. And what a finale it was.

My review:

David Cook
    This guy has definetly got talent. I like him as a performer and I think he'll do well on the charts. However, tonight he sang....well. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't terrific. That is not the right kind of thing to be doing on your LAST performance! I liked his last song best, followed by his first song, and coming in dead last for the night was his middle song. That one was just a mess in my opinion.

David Archuleta
    I have been a fan of little David since the auditions. However, I was a little worried that he wouldn't be able to bring it for this big showdown. How wrong I was! This little guy outsang, outclassed, and just plain schooled David Cook all the way to Canada. He brought everything he had to tonights episode, and you could see it...and hear it. He sang all three songs phenominally. I was especially pleased with "imagine." When he first said he was singing it again, I was horrified. He sang it so perfectly before, how could he possibly top that performance? Guess what folks...he took that song past perfection.

Up until tonight's episode, I would have said that it could go either way. But after the performances, David Archuleta is the clear and deserving winner.

2. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Based on the overall show, I think David Archuleta is a clear choice for winner. He's young, cute, good voice. He fits with the American Idol mold very well and I could see him singing his single at the finale.

However, I'm more likely to buy David Cook's album and I've been a fan of him since he auditioned. Also, he's progressed really nicely and he's always kept me guessing and entertained during every performance. He's versitile, experienced, talented and extremely marketable. See: Daughtry.

I don't know if Archuleta could sing anything more than ballads/Josh Groban type songs. That seems to be quite the safe zone for him. And on the other hand, David Cook has been able to do every single genre he's been handed over the weeks, hasn't forgotten the words and already seems like an artist ready to make an album. David A. seems a bit um, pageant manufactured. (Ie. He can be trained to do anything) He's an excellently talented Kareoke performer but I'm not sure I'd buy his album.

Either way, I won't be disappointed in who wins because they're both really great and they'll both get contracts.

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  3. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

Exactly. I find Archuleta to be pretttty boring and he hardly ever takes risks. When he tried to sing a more upbeat song (With You :lol:), the judges weren't impressed. However, David Cook can sing upbeat songs AND ballads and still manage to pull it off.

I can also see myself buying Cook's album but tbh, I wouldn't waste my money on Archuleta's.

I hope David Cook wins, but yeah, they'll both most definitely get contracts so it's not life or death. Can't wait for the finale!

4. Amanda_Ruth

Amanda_Ruth Witness

Um... yeah... voice is kinda hoarse, but my fingers still work.

DAVID COOK WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOT DAMN! *happy dances* Now I have to go tell my mom to shut the hell up so we can sleep in this stupid house. LMAO! Way to go America! You know who's better, now! *sigh* Why didn't you get it right with Chris Daughtry?!

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2008
  5. fo_poozle

fo_poozle CSI Level Two

^^you should probably put that in a spoiler code, since the show hasn't even aired on the west coast yet.

6. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

Amanda_Ruth, I've edited your post to add a spoiler code because as fo_poozle said, it hasn't aired all over the US yet. Once it has, you're free to post without the codes. :)

YAYAYAY! :D:D

Omg you should have seen me! I was shaking like a mofo and then I burst out crying when Ryan said "Cook" and jumped up and down 10 times. I was shaking and crying for a good 10 minutes. :lol:

I'm so proud of him though! I'm sure he'll have a very successful career, just like David Archuleta!

Also: Thank GOD Simon apologized to him.

7. Urban Legend

Urban Legend Captain

I haven't watched any American Idol since Carrie Underwood won ... go ahead and hound me, but I've always thought that the whole show is fixed. :eek: I know I'm going to start a riot in here ...

8. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

No, I'LL start the riot! :lol:

Archuleta was robbed!!!!
    :D

9. Amanda_Ruth

Amanda_Ruth Witness

Hard2Handle, I understand where you're coming from.
    David Cook winning was what I wanted, but the finale look very rigged last night.

They seemed to be pushing David Archuleta last night. The judges were showing favoritism like it was their job, and I wanted to kick Simon for the way he was treating David Cook. Anyway, when they got to the end of the show and had recaps of their performances, they showed Archie quite a bit longer than David Cook. That angered me so.

Heh, good to see the rest of America wasn't paying attention.

10. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

I don't believe it was rigged. Not just because I'm a fan of David Cook, but because I was on an AI board and the comments that the judges (especially Simon) said about Cook REALLY upset the fans. I mean really which made a lot of people vote longer than they were planning and a lot more often. There's a program called "Dial Idol" which allows you to vote more the computer and it tells you the percent of how many votes each contestant has. I know it's not completely accurate as it doesn't count texts, but everyone was saying the program said David Cook was in the lead about 10% for the entire time.

A lot of predictor sites were also predicting David Cook was going to win too. So it's VERY possible that Cook won fair and square. I don't believe it was rigged at ALL.

However, the producers probably had a favourite. Like Amanda_Ruth said, I think they were favouring Archuleta over Cook last night. They pretty much said he was already the American Idol because he "won the night", etc.

But then there are arguements over the fact that David Cook got to use an orchestra one night and Archuleta did not. My point is, I believe David Cook won fairly. His fans were pissed and voted their butts off. No harm in that. ;)

11. Hrockz

Hrockz Coroner

I wanted David Cook to win. I'm glad he did. I couldn't have been rigged.

IMO winning American Idol doesn't necessarily mean instant success, I mean look at Daughtry, he didn't win but I reckon he's more popular than some of the past winners.

12. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Exactly. I was reading the same boards the night before and installed Dial Idol on my computer. :lol: David Cook was at 42-ish points by midnight while Archuleta was at 29. So Cook was in a pretty fair lead--of course that site is only 91% accurate and they calculate the busy signals, not the actual votes. But they have predicted the winner since season 4.

I also thought Cook won fair and square. America seemed ready for a rocker to win (finally). I almost cried when he won. :lol:

^ Exactly, success is measured by the contestant themself, not how they placed in the long run. The show has proved this year after year which also makes me think that even if the show was rigged, it's having little effect. I hope both Cook and Archuleta have successful carrers. :)

Aw he cried. :D

13. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

Simon did this on purpose...they wanted David Cook to win, so he was overly harsh to get more people to vote for him. Also, he over praised David A. so his fans would think he will win and not vote as hard. People fell for it hook, line and sinker...and then last night, he back tracked and admitted to being to harsh, so he doesn't look wrong. It was pretty obvious.

I hope David Cook likes crappy pop rawk music, have fun with those magical rainbows :lol: What a terrible song!

14. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

Oh were you? :lol: I downloaded Dial Idol too but it didn't work! So then I installed Gizmo and used that instead. :p

And yeah, people were saying how Dial Idol is hardly ever wrong, so.

I've been watching interviews with both David's and they're both so adorable. I'm glad those 2 guys were in the finale two. Best luck to them with their careers. :D

15. Amanda_Ruth

Amanda_Ruth Witness

ZOMG! *thud* I just watched every David Cook performance from the auditions, and I realize now that I was wrong. He deserved to win from the beginning!! Not just from when he performed Music of the Night:drool: He was so incredibly sexy in that performance, though! And the lesson with Andrew Lloyd Webber was 100% giggle worthy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.