Cow Thread - Moo Moo Here and Moo Moo There

Yeah, summers can be pretty after all :)
And it was "Giant Fridge". Those summerpics were taken probably in early June.

DaWacko said:
Then one older pic
Sipovits
He was named after NYPD Blue character Andy Sipowicz :p

:lol: :lol: :lol: You named your cow after NYPD character??? I hope you don't name one of them Horatio!!! :lol:

Umm...what'll be the fate of all your moo-moo friends??? :confused:

I also used to dream of living in a farm when I was a kid until I thought about what's gonna happen to all the animals and their babies and their babies' babies...I'm not gonna kill them and I know I'll be so attached to them to sell them off...so the farm idea was crushed.

I also had Simone from "Blue". Too bad letter "H" went many years ago so no "Horatio" for a few years ;)

Fate of moos will be = meat.
Bulls are about 18-20 months when they are put away and cows... well, then they injure themselves badly, or there's some other problems. Or that they don't produce enough milk.
Tho, we are don't put cows easily away because they don't produce milk so much. Only now when there's lots of new ones growing and our places start to be full.

It's hard to see them go. I've never watched it because I know I can't. They usually pick 'em really early in the morning and I'm sleeping.

Mom said the most horrible thing she ever experienced was this. There was this old, beatiful cow. She refused to go to the truck (or whatever it is), so mom climbed to the truck and the cow followed her because she was used to go after mom :(

My one hard time was when one calf died. I had been away and dad didn't say that calf had been falling for strange reasons. One morning I noticed she didn't appear to the field and I went to check was she inside...and she was... just lying there. I picked up a blanket and wrapped her there and tried to get her to drink something warm. She didn't. So I sat there in mud holding her head and she died there.

OMG I LOVE YOU DUCKY! :D

lol I love cows, over at my grandma's house the people across the street have cows and when I hear them moo I moo back :lol:

DaWacko your cows are cute and have creative and cool names. :)

here are some more pics:
Selena
selena is a shy cow and only for this pic she came very close to my brother, who took the pic.
mum and baby
baby

DaWacko said:
Mom said the most horrible thing she ever experienced was this. There was this old, beatiful cow. She refused to go to the truck (or whatever it is), so mom climbed to the truck and the cow followed her because she was used to go after mom :(

Oh my...that's so sad. I'd feel betrayed. This story reminded me of what I heard from my grandma when I was a kid. When she was young she lived in China and they had cows. My grandma got very attached to one of them. She said it seemed as though the cow understood whatever she said. Whenever she asked a question, the cow would go "moo". When the war broke out, there were fighter planes flying over them and people were supposed to go hide or find a safe refuge. My grandma told the cow to go hide and it obeyed. Wow.

I swear that white Highland is cutest cow I've ever seen. I told about it to mom.

Me: I SAW PIC OF WHITE HIGHLAND!
Mom: But..they are not white
Me: But it was!
Mom: How's that possible
Me: I guess it's just some variation. Like some Angus can be red.
:lol:

Oh names... yes. I tend to have strange... names.
Latest one is "Virkiinia" (comes from Virginia) and next female will probably be Vokue (after Vogue, fashing magazine).
Our oldest cow is called in English "Mower". People always laugh at that. We've tried that we don't give human names to cows. Tho we do have some (like Silvia, Samantha, Venla, Taru).

And one twins (heifer+bull) I named them after our priest and his wife :D (My grandma was so angry :lol: )
Bulls I often name after some politician or famour athlete.

Don't ask, I'm just weird :lol:

^^My grandma was from China! Hey, we're related! :lol: :eek:

I've named a pet bird 'Elvis' before and no, you're not weird. Just very creative! :lol:

I have to say for this year (names start with V) I've suggested to mom that we get "Velka (=Debt)" or "Vetokoukku" (=coupling hook)

Last year it was letter U but mom didn't like my ideas to name some "Uppopumppu" (=submersible pump) or "Ulosotto" (=Distrain)
or even "Umpisuoli" (=the blind gut)

:D

My stepsister's mom and stepfather have two cows (along with the two horses, Bob and Nelly). I usually wave to them as I walk by. I don't think they have names.

DaWacko said:
I swear that white Highland is cutest cow I've ever seen.

i don't know why the cow is white, but it's not usual that higland cattles are white. most of them are brown.
my parents bought the white (pregnant) and brown cow a year ago. the seller told them about the cows which he wanted to sell. i heard that one cow is white and i said to my parents: i want the white cow.
my father wants to buy a black cow too. so we can have all possible colors. :lol:
names: the seller named them. all cows from the same bloodline have a name that started with S.

Talk about black cow...last night(or was it this morning?) I dreamt of a black calf walking by and stopped in front of me. I petted it and suddenly it pranced on me and I jumped. Then the dream's gone...

Ah! Got a new calf today! Our Siirappi (=Syrup) got a healthy babyboy :p Mom wanted to name him "Vaikku" (=Earvax) so we did :lol:

Back