Has CSI:Miami evolved more into a soap opera than a forensics show?

Re: Has CSI:Miami evolved more into a soap opera than a forensics show

Has CSI:Miami turned into a soap-opera? Hell yes!!! If someone said to me "Quick! Name one of the crimes or victims from an episode from this season without including any personal drama of any of the characters" I honestly couldn't recall any of them. I can't remeber any of the cases,I only remember H's baby mama drama and some moments of Calleigh/Eric.I've said this in another thread,but it's amazing that I can recall specific cases from seasons1-3 and yet the seasons of latter hasnt produced not one memorable case for me.

I think the writers of Miami have given up on writing about REAL crimes and have focused on giving character drama becuase its easier and since it is a show that is now known for going over the top,they can get away with it! When writing about crime,you actually have to make sure everything fits into place and that there are no loopholes,ect. There is a lot to think about,so I'm sure its a lot easier to fill up 40 minutes with H drama. And let's face it! Everyone loves drama. As someone said earlier,if you want a CSI show that still has more balance between the actual cases and drama filler,your best bet is either Vegas or NY.

Miami even took a potential good story line and turned it bad IMO.For instance,CSI:NY was the first CSI to have the "lost-son-I-never-knew-of-pop-out-of-the-blue" with Mac and Reed. They used it as a moment of character delepment,not just for Mac but his step-son. With the exception of the last 3 episodes in which Reed has a big role,we rarely see him,yet we know he's there and there's an impact.CSI:Miami,on the other hand,took the H and Kyle thing and...well,they simply beat a dead horse to the ground,propped it back on sticks and beat it again. We simply didn't need whole episodes surrounding this drama!I almost think the writer knew the cases in those episodes were extremely weak and threw in that stuff just so people would focus on that more! IMO,that is lazy! You shouldn't cover up bad writing/bad acting with a whole lot of melodramatics

I wish I could say,like most of you, that I could never stop watching this show (and several years ago,I would have sworn I would never stop watching!),but I've just realized that CSI Miami actually gets the tivo treatment in my house and IF there is nothing else on or I find myself extremely bored and it hasnt been deleted,I'll watch it.Even then,I always manage to fast forward through a lot of predictable parts or delete it half way through. I'm still a fan and I'm entertained to a degree by it,but I shouldn't have to watch this show with the same mindframe as I would watch a cartoon or soap opera. CSI:Miami,youre better than that! Let's get some stronger cases for season 7 and re-learn the difference between good subtle character development (seasons 1-3) and OTT character drama.

Last edited:

unfortunately, i have to agree that CSI Miami is focussing way too much on the personal dramas of the characters and not the crime, the science and the realism... the last few seasons so many emotional things happened to the characters; if that would happen to me in such a short time i'd go crazy! i think it's a good idea if the writers would *at least try to* focus on the show's original theme: solving crimes, seen from the point of view of forensics.
plus, it seems as though the only people who get killed in miami are -usually- the rich and/or famous; never regular people with a small condo, but always pretty people with enormous homes... that makes the 'soap opera level' rather high... Unfortunately, because the show definitely has the capacity to do soooooooo much better than the last few seasons...
Let's pray for a good, strong, comeback in season 7 :)

I don't get you CSI Miami fans. Your angry when you don't get the "non-human" no emotion Horatio, then you want to complain when you do get emotion and a good story-line. The introduction of Kyle is the best thing CSI Miami fans could get. It displays differnt side of Horatio a side we haven't seen in awhile. I guess you guys are just never happy with what you are given.... And thats sad because the writers are doing the best they can. I personally like the story-line and I hope they continue to use it, if you don't like it and you think it is soap opery... Don't watch. And Kyle was like in seven espiodes, I read somewhere here that all the espiodes where like centered around him, he was in seven espiodes....

^^ Please don't group everyone together. Not everyone has that opinion....

Back on topic: I think it just depends on the episode.
If it was all forensics and no character stuff, it would be boring, even for people that are into forensic science (like myself!).
I do like H drama every now and then, but not when it takes up the whole episode for like 6 episodes in a row practically.
And the other characters need a chance as well. :(
I think season 4 was the best, because they had a great balance of character story lines and cases. All the characters got a little developed, and we also had some really original and creative crimes.

My last ten cents worth - I am now broke :D

CSI Miami is primarily a Crime Scenes Investigation show. That should be the main focus of the show, and the relationships, friendships, the dire situations, and so forth should be the 'b' storyline. That's what would make CSI Miami a 'Drama', as it was when it first hit our screens.

To be absolutely honest, I am not at all averse to characters evolving, or relationships developing, (even when there is a heavy dose of disbelief attached to these developments/evolvements – only when it comes to CSI Miami though, I’m far more unforgiving when it comes to most other shows), because you need something like that happening all the time. However, I am averse to all of that when it starts to dominate a show, as it has done with CSI Miami.

If I wanted to watch a show where the lead character seems to be in a permanent state of anxiety, changes his tenets, personal and professional whenever he feels like it, and would find him/herself constantly in such overt dramatic situations, then I would watch whatever latest SOAP was available, because for me that's what SOAPs are all about.

In my opinion, CSI Miami had a lot of class when it first came out, most especially from the lead characters, (thought the Miami backdrop was beautiful too), and that lasted for the first three seasons, however, since then there has been a steady decline from what was a lovely Drama to the purile mush of Soap we have today, where, for me, the only class I can see is the social status of the latest victim, and even that’s taken second place to “The Horatio Caine Comic Book Show”.

Is CSI Miami a SOAP Opera now? Yes it is, no doubt whatsoever, because the main focus of the show now has nothing to do with Crime Scenes Investigations, but all to do with what dire situations they can place the lead characters in, even, or especially, if that means they have to completely change the characters in order to achieve that.

Aaaanyway, as said, that’s my last ten cents worth.

:)

Last edited:
Back