Why Lindsay Must Stay!

I have to totally echo what WhosLaughingNow and Top41 said about Anna's acting.

Most acting is studied in a theater respect, and BA or no BA, the credentials on paper don't necessarily make you good at your job.
ETA:
PS: Happy birthday PerfectAnomaly

I dont mean her preformance. i mean her physically. physically she's a very attractive woman, nice cerves, lovely butt.
and i didnt say aiden needed protecting, i ment that stella would like someone to protect. she's got that motherly feel to her to me. but then agian i see things diffrently then most.

Sirius said:
I dont mean her preformance. i mean her physically. physically she's a very attractive woman, nice cerves, lovely butt.

Well, to me, being nice looking doesn't make up for bad acting. They could've easily found someone nice looking who was capable of portraying Lindsay much better than Anna Belknap does.

i didnt say aiden needed protecting, i ment that stella would like someone to protect. she's got that motherly feel to her to me.

I agree she does have a maternal vibe to her at times. I think she can help Flack protect Danny. He is the show's resident damsel in distress. ;) :p

ETA: Thanks for the birthday greeting, roximonoxide :)

*flail* i totally didnt see that yah it is your birthday! *gives brithday huggles and Flack shaped cookies!*

I love Stella very much. she's a special place in my heart! but flack doesnt want any help.
Flack: "back off woman. you got your choise of lindsey or any of the other guys in the lab!" *clings to danny's head like some sort of ...possessed cat or something!*

Actually, the same thing is said about Meredith Grey's Character on GA ... so many people interpret her actions differently. I love her character, and the more I watch the show, I get her.

Interpretation from a personal standpoint is central in understanding communication.

According to the rules of communication we all see everything from six views (and maybe more when we view through different characters--that's interesting): in basic comm it goes like this: what I think I say, what the other person thinks I say, what I think they think I say, what they say ... and I think you can figure it out. Everything is based on our experience and our own perception, our fear of what others think and our natural inclination to pass judgement. That's life. To separate from that is to say we all live on an island.

So to say it's all how a character plays a part, is not taking this into account.

The things you find annoying in Lindsay or Danny or whoever are probably the same things you find annoying in other people. And we all have different peeves. I've never seen Lindsay as self-centered, but closed in, afraid ... because I suppose I'm a little that way. I see her at times as the "girl who works in the lab" as she once told Mac.

And if you like Danny's character, you want him to be with the type of girl you want him to be with (whether you admit it or not). So your perception is automatically putting Lindsay up against this unknown. That's basic communication theory.

Sorry for the philosophy, but I thought I'd toss this out. Try this ... if you have a hard time understanding those around you, work on understanding T.V. characters.

I'm just tossing this out for discussion, as discussion should be fun and enlivening :) ... it's just a thought. I wonder if there's a negative reaction against certain character types. Are we as a society looking for the "model" traits in our hero's heroines? Does that make since? Anna/Lindsay's pretty, but if you put her up to Aiden's pouty lips and big dark eyes, height, Stella's awesome hair ... are some just naturally looking down at her. Or could it be because we expect everyone to be strong and bold and perfect--the girls, when the guys can have flaws? Why shouldn't Lindsay's character have room to grow too. I know, I can hear the argument's coming.

I say this because Det. Angell's character seems so bland and people are crying out to bring her on. I don't get it. Her breathing bothers me--and that's odd. I know, It's an odd thing to point out. She breaths at the end of her lines like she so weary of saying everything. I think it also bothers me that I can't figure out how she does it and imitate it. Is that good acting? But she has great hair.

Canon fact: Lindsay left the crime scene in "Silent Night" without telling Stella or offering an explanation.

Canon fact: When Stella tried to talk to Lindsay about leaving the crime scene, Lindsay yelled at her to, "Leave me alone!"

But the thing people forget is that she had a reason. Her character had a reason for all of these things. I got that. I wonder how often she ever had to open up about what happened. She's closed it in. These people don't know, so she doesn't know how much to say, doesn't want to say the whole story. With the phone call you find out about later, the line she says to Stella makes perfect since. "I don't know what's happening to me." or something like that. Because she'd probably pushed that back for so long to have it come out has to be hard.

I also think its interesting that people claim to want more details--yet details that are given are just ignored. Why?

You bring up some interesting points, baker_grad, but please don't post three times in a row. You can edit your post to include quotes or just make a really long post. Thanks.

I actually used to not be able to stand Meredith on Grey's Anatomy. I thought she was selfish and self-centered and made mistakes all over the place and was wishy-washy. Now I like her because like you said, I get her. Still, whether I liked her or couldn't stand her, I never, ever denied she was a fully fleshed out, complex character played by a gifted actress. Even when I couldn't stand Meredith, I never thought Ellen Pompeo was a poor performer. She's not. She really is incredibly talented and is the absolute right person to the be the lead of the show. Sometimes we're not supposed to like Meredith, and that's pretty brave.

I think if the same were true of Lindsay, I could at least respect her as a character. But there's so little there outside of the fact that she landed the hot guy on the show and that she's selfish. And at least with Meredith Grey, when she's a selfish bitch there are people there who call her on it. But I have a feeling we're not supposed to find Lindsay selfish, despite the fact that her first thought is always of herself.

As for her looks, I think people are biased in both directions. I've seen the people who like her say she's cute and little and it seems they conclude because she's cute and little she's also sweet. There are very, very few instances of Lindsay acting "sweet."

I find her extremely plain and this season, downright unattractive, but I don't think that would matter if she was actually sweet. Who hasn't rooted for the Plain Jane to get the babe? The problem is, Lindsay is such an unpleasant human being that I don't believe for a minute someone that's both good-looking and good-natured (as Danny is) would fall for her. If she were beautiful like Angell, yeah, maybe. But Lindsay? In real life, guys who look like Danny do not go for girls who look like Lindsay unless there's something so amazing about the girl's personality. There just isn't about Lindsay's.

So it's not so much that I dislike Lindsay and don't think Danny belongs with her as it is just plain unrealistic. Sure, guys fall for bitches. But generally, they're really pretty bitches. ;)

I think Lindsay's a wish-fulfillment character for any plain jane who wants to get in Danny's pants. To me, that's kind of insulting.

But anyway, getting away from Danny, I'm still not sure what "room to grow" she needs at this point. She's been on the show for three seasons--shouldn't we at least have a consistent character by now?

baker_grad said:
Canon fact: Lindsay left the crime scene in "Silent Night" without telling Stella or offering an explanation.

Canon fact: When Stella tried to talk to Lindsay about leaving the crime scene, Lindsay yelled at her to, "Leave me alone!"

But the thing people forget is that she had a reason. Her character had a reason for all of these things. I got that. I wonder how often she ever had to open up about what happened. She's closed it in. These people don't know, so she doesn't know how much to say, doesn't want to say the whole story. With the phone call you find out about later, the line she says to Stella makes perfect since. "I don't know what's happening to me." or something like that. Because she'd probably pushed that back for so long to have it come out has to be hard.

Sure she had a reason, but she acted like a brat, not a grown-up. If she'd said to Stella, like a mature adult, and said, "I can't deal with this," I think most people would have respected her. But she dealt with it like a spoiled child. Who honestly yells at her boss, "Leave me alone!"??? Really?

I also think its interesting that people claim to want more details--yet details that are given are just ignored. Why?

But the details keep changing--first she's light and fun, then she's angst woman, then she's dealing with her dark secret, first she flirts with Danny, then she pushes him away, then she wants Danny...there's not a lot of consistency there.

The one thing that has been consistent is that she's selfish and self-centered.

baker_grad said:
Actually, the same thing is said about Meredith Grey's Character on GA ... so many people interpret her actions differently. I love her character, and the more I watch the show, I get her.

Interpretation from a personal standpoint is central in understanding communication.

According to the rules of communication we all see everything from six views (and maybe more when we view through different characters--that's interesting): in basic comm it goes like this: what I think I say, what the other person thinks I say, what I think they think I say, what they say ... and I think you can figure it out. Everything is based on our experience and our own perception, our fear of what others think and our natural inclination to pass judgement. That's life. To separate from that is to say we all live on an island.

So to say it's all how a character plays a part, is not taking this into account.

The things you find annoying in Lindsay or Danny or whoever are probably the same things you find annoying in other people. And we all have different peeves. I've never seen Lindsay as self-centered, but closed in, afraid ... because I suppose I'm a little that way. I see her at times as the "girl who works in the lab" as she once told Mac.

And if you like Danny's character, you want him to be with the type of girl you want him to be with (whether you admit it or not). So your perception is automatically putting Lindsay up against this unknown. That's basic communication theory.

Sorry for the philosophy, but I thought I'd toss this out. Try this ... if you have a hard time understanding those around you, work on understanding T.V. characters.

I find it insulting that you feel the need to give us all a lesson in communication theory, tell us why we think what we think and tell us to "work on understanding T.V. characters." Your knowledge of communication theory doesn't make your opinion of a fictional character or the portrayal of that character any more or less valid than anyone else's.

I'm really tired of people telling me why I'm not looking at things the way I should be, or that I don't understand certain things or characters just because my opinion differs from theirs.

^^ Well said PerfectAnomaly ^5

Or could it be because we expect everyone to be strong and bold and perfect--the girls, when the guys can have flaws? Why shouldn't Lindsay's character have room to grow too.

Stella's not perfect. I like Stella. Aiden was far from it. I loved Aiden. Catherine, Calleigh, Sophia all miles from perfect, but I love those characters. I'm not asking her to be perfect. In fact, I have one problem with a few characters such as Angell and the late Det. Maka... I don't buy them as Detectives. It might be stereotypical but I just don't think they fit the physical demand for a female cop. That aside, I can still get into their characters. I don't hate them, but I do like seeing realistic looking people on tv now and again.

I'm not asking Lindsay to be perfect... I'd probably dislike her even more if she was, my problem with her is she's been stretched and re-stretched to fit so many different character types, in an effort to get evvvveryone to like her, that now shes totally shapeless to me. Like those people you met in highschool who'd claim to love whatever superficial things anyone else around them loved just to gain attention & friends. :p

But the thing people forget is that she had a reason. Her character had a reason for all of these things.

Whether or not there's a good reason for her mood d'jour, (though here i don't think i was a very good one) doesn't excuse her from acts of insubordination, and behaving like a five year old, at work no less. If she'd conducted herself like an adult, she might have saved face, but she rarely does.

Canon fact: Danny skipped work, with no attempt at explanation.
Canon fact: After Don pretty much saved Danny's rear end, Danny replies with "You should've minded your own business."

Maybe Danny and Lindsay are more suited for each other than we thought?

chabib86 said:
Canon fact: After Don pretty much saved Danny's rear end, Danny replies with "You should've minded your own business."

Maybe Danny and Lindsay are more suited for each other than we thought?

Heh, I don't think anyones debating the fact that Danny's pulled his fair share of stunts and I can't defend the impulsive, and caustic things he's been known to say. Obviously, he should have told Mac what happened with Rikki and his gun, rather than just avoiding work, but I have to say not showing because you think someone is about to commit murder and you can stop it, holds a little more weight than not showing because it bothers you emotionally even though it's a HUGE part of your day to day work.

Even so.. after all of Danny's bad behavior I still like him... hmm. Probably because he's consistent in it if nothing else.

ETA: The other thing that comes to mind is, every time Danny's a screw up, it slaps him in the face. Mac never hesitates to put Danny in line. Don too as we can see from tonight. And Stella, in the pilot ep no less. Danny pays his dues. Whereas Lindsay... the only one to ever call her out for all the things shes done was Stella. Once. The rest of the time shes immune to professional reprimand.

chabib86 said:

Touche. Danny was a bit of a brat to Don, and he shouldn't have been. No defending him there. But I will say that what Danny did was for someone else, and when Lindsay's been a brat or obnoxious, it's about herself. There's a difference there.

I think Danny's behavior in "The Dove Commission" is a better example. He was a brat there, period, and it was inappropriate and all about his own trauma. He apologized in the end of the episode, but he was still a jerk to a grieving kid. That's more akin to Lindsay's behavior than what he did in "All in the Family."

Top41 said:
chabib86 said:

Touche. Danny was a bit of a brat to Don, and he shouldn't have been. No defending him there. But I will say that what Danny did was for someone else, and when Lindsay's been a brat or obnoxious, it's about herself. There's a difference there.

I think Danny's behavior in "The Dove Commission" is a better example. He was a brat there, period, and it was inappropriate and all about his own trauma. He apologized in the end of the episode, but he was still a jerk to a grieving kid. That's more akin to Lindsay's behavior than what he did in "All in the Family."

I think, too, it comes down to the actors. With Anna, I don't buy that Lindsay's selfishness and her bratty behavior are supposed to be perceived as selfish and bratty. I think we're supposed to have empathy for her emotional trauma and see her as sympathetic. That's not the way some see the character portrayed, however.

With Carmine, I think we're supposed to not always like what he does or says, but we're supposed to have some empathy for why he does what he does; and that's the way the character is portrayed to many. And like Top said, when he was all about himself he at least was able to accept that he was wrong, apologize and learn from the experience.

Is this debate going on. I got lost out the CSINY fandom at the end of Season 2 and this debate was furious. I thought everyone would have settled to like her by now (unless there has been some major drama I've missed since season 2)

Back