"Fallen Idols" Discussion *Spoilers*

Well if they are gonna have continuity for Nick, why not have it for Brass after he has both killed a cop and been shot since Nick was buried alive. Look I love Nick as much as the next person but the contiuity is that Nick is a better person and better CSI since then. I don't think there needs to be anymore put into it, because it makes the writers look desperate when they are digging up stuff from season's past just to add a little more depth to someone character.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know Nick is mentally thougher than Greg?

I'd say Nick is much more vulnerable due to his empathy than Greg is. Not just because of what happened to him, but the fact is that he even reacts to what happens to others. A thing few of the other CSIs share. Just MHO.

Just rewatched the ep and I can't understand why Charlie would go to jail? He did nothing but help coceal the body - he wasn't involved in causing anybody's death. Or did I miss something?

mrb105 said:
I don't think there needs to be anymore put into it, because it makes the writers look desperate when they are digging up stuff from season's past just to add a little more depth to someone character.

They dug GSR up from the cellar ;) And not to add any depth either, but to make them both seems like infatuated teenagers *shakes head*

To be underground for nealy 24 hours, with ants biting at you and not kill yourself, that is the sign of somebody that is mentally tough. Warrick even said he wouldn't have lasted that long. Nick has delt with that along with having guns pointed in his face and is still on the job. Greg on the other hand hasn't ever really had to face adversity besides getting beat up that one time. Its just my opinion but I'd say Nick is more mentally tough then Greg, if you want to disagree give me some reasoning behind it. And for getting emotionally involved in cases; Gum Drops, Redrum, and Fallen Idols, doesn't by any means mean somebody is mentally weak.

As for Charlie, he was an accomplice to murder and lied to police while the investigation was going on, that should lead to some jail time if you ask me.

mrb105 said:
As for Charlie, he was an accomplice to murder and lied to police while the investigation was going on, that should lead to some jail time if you ask me.

First - lying to the police will not land you in jail per se, you're not under oath and he didn't lie to implicate innocense or culpablitity, he left information out. And how he was an accomplice to a murder that nobody has been indicted for escapes me. Either they indict him for murder and he will certainly walk since he never laid a hand on the guy or the girl. Just can't see what they'd pin on him.

I think you and I interpret the term "mentally though" differently. To me a mentally though personis one that lets everything slide, like water off a goose. And Nick certainly is not one of those, on the contrary. That's why he reacts so strongly to others.

I'd condierer greg more though because he's more slef-centered (talk s almost solely about himself on any case, like his backseat escapades in FI). The only thing he'd be sacred off would be getting in trouble himself (Like the shrug indicated in Redrum) and that makes him thougher IMHO. Not stronger mind you, Nick probably is the strongest of them all, but thougher, yes.

Well I get what you mean by saying let things slide off. I classify mentally tough as someone who doesn't let stuff bother then, like criticism, and steps up when things are in doubt and becomes a leader. As far as reacting strongly to others, I don't think it has anything to do with being mentally tough, it has more to do with being street smart and knowing what you need to do to get an answer out of somebody. Being mentally tough is somebody who is never off their game, and always seems to get the job done no matter what obstacles are in their way, and that is the definition of who Nick is.

Man, if we're gonna get into a "Who's better, Nick or Greg?" discussion on this board, that's gonna make the arguing about GSR seem like a friendly little spat between friends.... ;)

I don't know if I can classify either Nick or Greg as being the more "mentally tough", only because it would insinuate that the other is not, and I just don't believe that. On the one hand, Nick survived a 24hr ordeal of being buried alive and providing the snack du jour for an army of fire ants only to nearly get himself pink-misted in some kind of tree nursery. On the other hand, Greg got the crap beat out of him by umpteen teens and had the presence of mind to tell Sara where to get the evidence even though he'd been bleeding on the ground all night. When two characters have proved their mettle in such situations, I'm not sure we can quibble about exact degrees of "mentally tough."

It's pretty well-known that George Eads requested that they tone down the Grave Danger aftermath because he was tired of playing a victim.

sarahvma said:
It's pretty well-known that George Eads requested that they tone down the Grave Danger aftermath because he was tired of playing a victim.

It is? Was that in an interview? I am glad he's leaning that way. I much prefer badass Nick (spiral out!) to victimized Nick. I wanted more closure for his storyline than what I got in Daddy's Little Girl (I thought that whole storyline was a mess), but we got what we got and another year has passed. I thought the line in this episode was nice continuity for this show, and I don't really expect much more. I do agree with you that it has made him a stronger character overall, and I guess that's continuity, too.

sarahvma said:

I've seen people constantly say this but nobody has been able give a link to this interview. Does anybody have a link to where it says this?

Susan

I noticed that Nick had a sad distracted look when Charlie complained about replaying the images over in his mind and not being able to eat and sleep. I may be reading too much in to Nick's reaction, but it seemed he was thinking of his own problems rather than being sad for the kid.

I noticed that Nick had a sad distracted look when Charlie complained about replaying the images over in his mind and not being able to eat and sleep. I may be reading too much in to Nick's reaction, but it seemed he was thinking of his own problems rather than being sad for the kid.

George (HAPPY BIRTHDAY, btw) has a fantastic ability for subtext. He can cry like a faucet, yes, but there's just this great layering that he's capable of. It's why I think he works in the more emotional cases. It may have come off a little sappy if anyone else had to go and tell the soldier's wife why her husband died in Toe Tags, but he managed to deliver a really sincere (and somewhat righteous yet angry) performance.

Is he the best member of the cast? He adds to the ensemble, and he adds very well.

In this case, I don't know that it was so much that he was dwelling on his own misfortunes, but he did seem to be using them to drive him. I like when Nick turns into a "One Man CSI Machine".

Back