Death Penalty? What's your opinion?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by CSI3, Jun 5, 2005.

1. PrettyEyes

PrettyEyes Pathologist

You'd better believe I support the death penalty 100%.

1. If the death penalty were carried out in a timely fashion, it would act as the deterrent it's supposed to be. As it is, defendants know that if they're sentenced to death, they've got a good 20 - 30 years minimum for the appellate process to play out in the courts.

2. When infants as young as 6 months are brutally raped via full intercourse, the non-human scumbag who committed that crime doesn't deserve to live. No way, no how. If they need someone to be a witness, I'll sit in the room, look through the window and stare into that idiot's eyes myself as he/she takes their last breath. :mad:

3. As for people who say life in prison is acceptable, here in California we're stuck with Charles Manson and his band of murdering followers, who come up for parole every couple of years. Thanks to the late Rose Bird, who as Chief Justice of California's Supreme Court stayed every execution, there are plenty of convicted felons sentenced to die in San Q who won't be put to death for their crimes. Now thanks to the idiotic judge of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, our death penalty was ruled unconstitutional. Why? Because the criminal might feel a little bit of pain. Well too freakin' bad. What about the victims, who were tortured and maimed before being murdered. Also, the conditions at Pelican Bay, the supermax California prison for the worst of the worst offenders, was ruled unconstitutional because the inmates were inside 23 hours a day and didn't have amenities that "normal/average" people have. Hello, they're not "normal/average." Wake up!

2. Calihan

Calihan Captain

I saw something in today's paper, apparently here in the US support for the dath penalty is decreasing significantly. Apparently even firm believers are now geeting concerned about mistakes, and Jeb Bush has suspended all executions in the state of Florida.

3. Muzzy_Olorea

Muzzy_Olorea Lab Technician

I think the Death Penalty is justified when there is zero doubt about the guilt of the suspect and should only be exacted to those who are serial killers or serial rapists.
    However, if a Life Sentence actually means being locked up in jail for you entire life (which it doesn't here in the UK) then maybe life sentences should be awarded instead of the death penalty.

What makes me sick is that in England is that you can commit murder and be released from prison in 10 years time. That's no justice for the victim's family.

4. CSI_in_training

CSI_in_training CSI Level Two

^^I agree. If they are guilty and their crimes are truly horrible then they deserve to die. The only thing is that it doesn't act as a deterent to commit crimes because any person sane enough to think of the consequences of his or her actions probably wouldn't commit a crime in the first place...
    But sentences are often too lenient and the criminal often gets away easy.

5. pretty_in_pink

pretty_in_pink Lab Technician

I don't think the death penalty should be legal. If someone killed someone in my family, I don't think I would EVER be angry enough to want them to die. I don't think I have ever thought that someone deserved to die. Not even people like Hitler and Sadam Hussein. I think that having the death penalty in the US is like us saying that murder is okay, that killing someone is justifiable. Killing is NEVER justifiable. That is what our entire justice system is about. That murder is wrong and can never be justified. So, sentencing someone to death is like being a murderer. And what about the people who are wrongly executed? 23 people were wrongly executed in the US in the past 100 years. To me, one is already way too many. Also, the choices of how you want to die are awful. There are lethal injection, gas chamber, hanging, firing squad, and electricution. I mean, who would want to die that way? The average time on death row before execution is 9 years, 6 months. That is a long time to wait to die. I would rather have a murderer spend their days in a prison cell, thinking about what they did. Also, in a judgment on March 1,2005 the US Supreme Court ruled that the use of the death penalty against people under the age of 18 was unconstitutional, leading to more than 70 child offenders under sentence of death having their sentences commuted. It is disgusting to even think that a child would be sentenced to death. It is sick, wrong, and immoral. The death penalty should be outlawed.

6. CSI_in_training

CSI_in_training CSI Level Two

As much as I agree with you, that wrongful execution is horrible and that executing children is just wrong, I think that there are a lot of people who do deserve to die. People who if they sat in jail for the rest of their lives wouldn't think about what they did, wouldn't understand that what they did was wrong. I think that as a final bit of justice for the victim and their family that some offenders, the truly dangerous ones, should pay the ultimate price for what they did. Everyone to their own opinion though, I do not discredit what you said, they were very good points.

7. CSIVegasMiamiNY

CSIVegasMiamiNY Pathologist

I think the death penalty is OK, as long as the person on Death Row can be proved to have committed the crime beyond all reasonable doubt.

If someone killed my family, I would want to kill them in the same way they had hurt my family, make them hurt the same way that I would have been hurt.

But, then if prison's in England weren't like holiday camps, and people who are meant to be in for life get out and get a new identity, and a new life in Spain or Austrailia or where ever, paid for by our taxes, then I'd want them to sit in jail and suffer for a while, just so they would know how it felt.

Hey, call me cruel, but if they killed my family, I would want pain bought down on them,a nd eventually death, just so they would hurt as much as me.

~xJemmax~

8. Detective_Burn

Detective_Burn Coroner

Death penalty is a waste of money and dignity.
    You canĀ“t revenge a victim by becoming a killer, too. :eek: :eek:

9. Roosey

Roosey Captain

I don't think Death Penalty is good. It's a very easy way out for the killer and well, it doesn't help a victim feeling safe, I think. Like D_B said, it's also a waste of money. Well, prison is too, but you use the money in a better way when you put someone in prison, I think.

10. Detective_Burn

Detective_Burn Coroner

You gotta punish criminals. So you need jails to lock them away.

11. Calihan

Calihan Captain

About the monetary debate, remember it takess more money to execute someone than to have someone serve a life sentence.

12. Detective_Burn

Detective_Burn Coroner

^^ No doubt. Nevertheless my point of view is by killing killers we become killers, too.

13. X05

X05 CSI Level One

I have mixed feelings about the death penalty. Sure, it makes the victim(s) feel better, for a time, but like MissRoosFox said it's such an easy way out for the killer. I think that the appropriateness of the death penalty will continue to be a hot topic for debate in the coming years.

14. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

But think of it...what coutry it was that had given a death penalty to a doctor and five hungarian nurses, because they had been given HIV positive blood to kids?

...and they had claimed it had started before the nurses were on the job.

Ok - it is wrong to give dirty blood but still the death penalty is so... wrong. It makes us killers as well.

15. kazzy

kazzy Head of the Swing Shift

I think it was Libya who imposed the death penalty and weren't they bulgarian? :p Anyway, even though the HIV children were infected long before the nurses and doctor arrived in Libya, they were still arrested and charged for it. I think they've been kept in jail since...1999. If it's been proved that the children were indeed infected before they arrived in 1999, then how is that their fault? Sure they confessed that they did it but it was under torture by the libyians.
    I guess if they even did it, they should spend the rest of their lives rotting in poor conditions of libyian jail istead of death penalty, it's more of a punishment.

But now, I think the death penalty charge has been lifted by the higher courts in Libya.