I Suck At Cooking!

Man, that sounds rich and decadent! Mind you, I am making chewy double chocolate cookies, so... ?

I tend to me more of a salty foods person overall, but I do like the occasional chocolate treat! :)

What do you guys think would be the best sort of salad to go with hamburgers? :p
I have to bring a salad on my sailing trip for Sunday, and that's the entree- Hamburgers! :lol:

if you like pasta salad ive got one thats so easy even you can do it Baba :p

boil some penne noodles (as much as you need) but a little less done than if youd be eating them with sauce. still a little chewy

the dressing is:
olive oil and balsamic vinegar (about twice as much oil as vinegar i think)
chopped garlic
salt and pepper
dried basil and oregano

put about half the dressing on the noodles and put them in the fridge to cool down (this is why you undercook the noodles, theyll soften with the oil in the fridge)

when ready add cut up:
red onion
red and green pepper
zucchinni
black olives
pepperettes (the best part!)
shredded provolone cheese

toss with the rest of the dressing and add some chopped fresh basil and parsley before serving. we have this all the time with hamburgers and mom has to make extra because my brother and i eat it for breakfast the next morning :D

Baba why don't you try avocado, tomato and feta salad, here is the recipe.

1 lettuce
2 large tomatoes
1 large avocado
200g (7 oz) feta cheese
20 black olives
2 tbsp fresh thyme
For the dressing:
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
6 tbsp olive oil
salt & pepper

1. Wash and finely chop the lettuce. Thinly slice the tomatoes. Chop and peel the avocado. Mix together in a large serving bowl.

2. Crumble the feta cheese and add to the salad along with the olives and chopped fresh thyme.

3. For the dressing, combine the vinegar and oil in a screw-topped jar, season with salt and pepper and shake vigorously. Pour over the salad.

Heh heh... I guess I should have mentioned I'll be buying the salad at a deli... :lol:

Edited to add: Incidentally, I don't know what penne noodles are. If it's pasta, I'm not so big on that stuff. I think i have a bit of a digestive issue with the stuff since after eating a tiny portion of pretty much any kind of pasta, I feel uncomfortably full. Oh well...

^Pasta is a killer that way. It's the..the... dontknowinenglish that causes it.

Had a lecture once. No one was really answering and professor asked all sudden "What you guys had for dinner?" (lecture started at 5pm) and after hearing "macaroni" he sighed and said he should ask kitchen not to do pastafood when we have lectures in the evening :p

It looks like we will hve deer tomorrow :rolleyes:

penne is the tubes of pasta with the ends cut off at an angle.

come on lazy! you can make a salad :p unless you dont really like the people youll be sailing with dont they deserve the effort? :lol:

trying to think of what my mom did the other night, she kind of just made it up.

chopped napa and red cabbage
corriander
and then i think the dressing was just rice wine vinegar, seasame oil and fish sauce

it was really really good.

DaWacko said:
BabaOReilly said:
What's sachercake? Sounds weird.

It's a Swiss (I think) chocolate cake. Lots of chocolate (and lots of butter :eek:) and inside you put apricot marmelade. It's really good.

It's not Swiss. The original baker was one a Herr Sacher who lived in Audtria-Hungary. There was a famous court case
dealing with the original recipe.

VManso said:
DaWacko said:
BabaOReilly said:
What's sachercake? Sounds weird.

It's a Swiss (I think) chocolate cake. Lots of chocolate (and lots of butter :eek:) and inside you put apricot marmelade. It's really good.

It's not Swiss. The original baker was one a Herr Sacher who lived in Audtria-Hungary. There was a famous court case
dealing with the original recipe.

Ah yes, Austrian. Sorry about that (as you can see in my first post, I wasn't sure) I guess you can say "in Austria" since he lived in Vienna. :rolleyes:

DaWacko,
After Herr Sacher died , the recipe for the torte changed hands and went to a distant cousin of his who decided to make it his way. This started a lawsuit by the heirs of Herr Sacher(it was named after him as he was the original baker) against the distant cousin.

VManso said:
DaWacko,
After Herr Sacher died , the recipe for the torte changed hands and went to a distant cousin of his who decided to make it his way. This started a lawsuit by the heirs of Herr Sacher(it was named after him as he was the original baker) against the distant cousin.

Yeah, I read that and I don't care who made it first, just the country where it comes from.

Oh, no no no... No pork. Don't like pork. I can't handle pork. Bleh! :p

I pretty much do steak and chicken. :lol:

I may actually take a shot at that salad above though- the avocado & feta one sounds nice. And chewy double chocolate cookies! :D

DaWacko said:
VManso said:
DaWacko,

Yeah, I read that and I don't care who made it first, just the country where it comes from.

It wasn't only an argument about the preparation of how each torte was made but, more importantly,from the Austrian point of view, of Honor!

Back