Season #9 Spoiler Discussion

‘CSI: NY’ Boss: We’re Throwing Caution to the Wind This Season

by Paulette Cohn | September 14, 2012 at 2:36 PM

For the past couple of seasons, the “CSI: NY” producers and writers have created season finales that could also be series finales — just in case the procedural drama didn’t get a pick up for another season. Such was the case last May with the “Near Death” episode. In it, Mac (Gary Sinise) was shot and hovered between life and death in limbo. While there, he shared special moments with members of his CSI team and with his late wife, Claire (Jaime Ray Newman).

When we return, it will be business as usual — with a twist we reveal below — with a case of the week. In the premiere episode, a friend of Mac’s — a fire chief — is killed in a blaze set by an arsonist — and the M.O. is very similar to that of a recently released convict.

“This year, we are doing the unexpected,” says executive producer Pam Veasey in an exclusive interview with XfinityTV.com. “We are taking the characters to an unexpected place in their personal lives and the stories to an unexpected place. This year, we throw caution to the wind, and take a left turn — either on the concept of the episode or the lives of our characters — so the audience goes, ‘Wow! That is satisfying.’”

“CSI: NY” returns for its ninth season on Friday, Sept. 28, but first we spoke to Veasey and xxecutive producer Zach Reiter to get the inside story on the upcoming season.

Where do we rejoin the story?

At the end of the eighth season finale, we saw a montage of happy events — in case it turned out to be the final-ever episode — of Mac returning to work and being greeted by his team. In the season premiere, in addition to moving forward, we are also going to get a bit of a review of what happened in the time between his getting out of the hospital and going back to work.

“It would seem natural to pick up six months later and show the aftermath of that, show a little bit of flashback of his rehabilitation, and what if any side effects there will be to the shooting, which there will be,” Reiter says.

What are the side effects?

Even though Mac has physically recovered from his bullet wounds, there are emotional scars. During this season, Veasey tells us they will become evident.

“What we wanted to do was get past the physical rehab, but there will be some surprising psychological [aspects], small little hints of what he has gone through. We want that to happen,” Veasey adds. “That is where we start, so we can talk about the challenges with that.”

Will Mac move forward with Christine?

While Mac was in limbo, one of his most heartwarming encounters was with his late wife Claire. It was almost as if he needed to get her approval before he could move forward with his relationship with Christine (Megan Dodds).

“Claire was the love of his life and that was a big mental block for him in moving on,” Reiter says. “In a moment where he thought his life was ending, to get that permission enabled him to carry on a relationship in a meaningful way.”

“When Mac was in a relationship with Peyton (Claire Forlani), she pursued him,” Veasey says. “This is him making a continued pursuit, driving toward that relationship. He did need Claire to say, ‘Go, don’t give up on this. Don’t give up on the hard stuff.’”

What is going to be different about this season?

As is true with most procedural dramas, “CSI: NY” has focused more on cases than the personal lives of its team of investigators. True, we have gone home with Danny (Carmine Giovinazzo) and Lindsay (Anna Belknap) and met their daughter, as well as Jo’s (Sela Ward) daughter and Don Flack’s (Eddie Cahill) sister. But this season we are going to see more of that and spend time with the CSIs when they take a day off.

“Not the whole show, but we are going to go home with one of our people,” Veasey says. “You will see the challenges they live with, some of their problems. They don’t always bring everything to work, even though they are a family. They have a job that calls for their undivided attention. So there will be stories that will really resonate with their history and relationships with siblings and parents. It will be about family growth and personal growth outside of work.”

A new romance: Danny and Lindsay have each other, Mac has Christine, so this season it is going to be Flack’s turn to get a little loving when Det. Lovato transfers to his precinct.

“We are adding a really terrific actress Natalie Martinez and there may be a hot, little fire going on between those two,” says Veasey. “It is very reminiscent of the last detective with who he had a relationship. She is clearly his type. He tries to resist it, but he can’t resist what is just inevitable.”

Will Jo follow through on the vow she made in the finale: In the season finale, Jo realized that she didn’t know Mac as well as she thought, so this season, she follows up on the promise she made to herself to be a better friend.

“I think we will be toying with that throughout the season,” Reiter says. “I think in that moment, she realized there was a lot about Mac that she didn’t know. I think in that moment she realized she loves him a lot more than she ever realized.”

“CSI: NY” premieres its ninth season on Friday, Sept. 28 at 8/7c on CBS.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/blogs/tv...ere-throwing-caution-to-the-wind-this-season/

It also mentions that Lindsay's mother is dead, although I'm not sure if this was ever revealed in a previous episode. (I apologize if it was, I honestly can't remember if they ever told us that information.)
Yeah not really sure. We know her Mom was alive in 5-17 because Lindsay mentioned being excited about going back to Montana to see her in that episode. Unless her Mother died recently?

Last edited:
‘CSI: NY’ Boss: We’re Throwing Caution to the Wind This Season

by Paulette Cohn | September 14, 2012 at 2:36 PM

For the past couple of seasons, the “CSI: NY” producers and writers have created season finales that could also be series finales — just in case the procedural drama didn’t get a pick up for another season. Such was the case last May with the “Near Death” episode. In it, Mac (Gary Sinise) was shot and hovered between life and death in limbo. While there, he shared special moments with members of his CSI team and with his late wife, Claire (Jaime Ray Newman).

When we return, it will be business as usual — with a twist we reveal below — with a case of the week. In the premiere episode, a friend of Mac’s — a fire chief — is killed in a blaze set by an arsonist — and the M.O. is very similar to that of a recently released convict.

“This year, we are doing the unexpected,” says executive producer Pam Veasey in an exclusive interview with XfinityTV.com. “We are taking the characters to an unexpected place in their personal lives and the stories to an unexpected place. This year, we throw caution to the wind, and take a left turn — either on the concept of the episode or the lives of our characters — so the audience goes, ‘Wow! That is satisfying.’”

“CSI: NY” returns for its ninth season on Friday, Sept. 28, but first we spoke to Veasey and xxecutive producer Zach Reiter to get the inside story on the upcoming season.

Where do we rejoin the story?

At the end of the eighth season finale, we saw a montage of happy events — in case it turned out to be the final-ever episode — of Mac returning to work and being greeted by his team. In the season premiere, in addition to moving forward, we are also going to get a bit of a review of what happened in the time between his getting out of the hospital and going back to work.

“It would seem natural to pick up six months later and show the aftermath of that, show a little bit of flashback of his rehabilitation, and what if any side effects there will be to the shooting, which there will be,” Reiter says.

What are the side effects?

Even though Mac has physically recovered from his bullet wounds, there are emotional scars. During this season, Veasey tells us they will become evident.

“What we wanted to do was get past the physical rehab, but there will be some surprising psychological [aspects], small little hints of what he has gone through. We want that to happen,” Veasey adds. “That is where we start, so we can talk about the challenges with that.”

Will Mac move forward with Christine?

While Mac was in limbo, one of his most heartwarming encounters was with his late wife Claire. It was almost as if he needed to get her approval before he could move forward with his relationship with Christine (Megan Dodds).

“Claire was the love of his life and that was a big mental block for him in moving on,” Reiter says. “In a moment where he thought his life was ending, to get that permission enabled him to carry on a relationship in a meaningful way.”

“When Mac was in a relationship with Peyton (Claire Forlani), she pursued him,” Veasey says. “This is him making a continued pursuit, driving toward that relationship. He did need Claire to say, ‘Go, don’t give up on this. Don’t give up on the hard stuff.’”

What is going to be different about this season?

As is true with most procedural dramas, “CSI: NY” has focused more on cases than the personal lives of its team of investigators. True, we have gone home with Danny (Carmine Giovinazzo) and Lindsay (Anna Belknap) and met their daughter, as well as Jo’s (Sela Ward) daughter and Don Flack’s (Eddie Cahill) sister. But this season we are going to see more of that and spend time with the CSIs when they take a day off.

“Not the whole show, but we are going to go home with one of our people,” Veasey says. “You will see the challenges they live with, some of their problems. They don’t always bring everything to work, even though they are a family. They have a job that calls for their undivided attention. So there will be stories that will really resonate with their history and relationships with siblings and parents. It will be about family growth and personal growth outside of work.”

A new romance: Danny and Lindsay have each other, Mac has Christine, so this season it is going to be Flack’s turn to get a little loving when Det. Lovato transfers to his precinct.

“We are adding a really terrific actress Natalie Martinez and there may be a hot, little fire going on between those two,” says Veasey. “It is very reminiscent of the last detective with who he had a relationship. She is clearly his type. He tries to resist it, but he can’t resist what is just inevitable.”

Will Jo follow through on the vow she made in the finale: In the season finale, Jo realized that she didn’t know Mac as well as she thought, so this season, she follows up on the promise she made to herself to be a better friend.

“I think we will be toying with that throughout the season,” Reiter says. “I think in that moment, she realized there was a lot about Mac that she didn’t know. I think in that moment she realized she loves him a lot more than she ever realized.”

“CSI: NY” premieres its ninth season on Friday, Sept. 28 at 8/7c on CBS.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/blogs/tv...ere-throwing-caution-to-the-wind-this-season/

Wow, this season seems to become very intense. I like the notion that they are trowing caution into the wind. Like the writers totally let loose :)

I'm curious about Mac's problems too when I remember the season seven final. I think we will say 'Wow' at the end of next season.

I honestly think, from reading all of the spoilers we're getting, that this could be their best season. It sounds so unpredictable and just something new every week

I'm really excited about the upcoming new season, too, yet I'm tired of the love interests they put into every season. Now it's going to be Flack just because they messed up with Jessica :wtf:
I'm curious about the episodes showing them all on their days off and all the issues they deal with outside their workplaces. :)

Edit: So far I read the last posts I missed during the last couple of weeks. I just hope that they won't screw up with Mac's history again, like they did with the "twins" Stan and Stan. Though I bet they'll do and we'll go all nuts about it, asking YTF they cannot keep track of their own storylines. I also hope that Mac being "very happy" at the end of the season does not result into a marriage with Christine, or worse, her being pregnant. We already had that kind of soap opera in CSI:Miami. I'd be glad to see him happy in a solid relationship with her.

Last edited:
Edit: So far I read the last posts I missed during the last couple of weeks. I just hope that they won't screw up with Mac's history again, like they did with the "twins" Stan and Stan. Though I bet they'll do and we'll go all nuts about it, asking YTF they cannot keep track of their own storylines. I also hope that Mac being "very happy" at the end of the season does not result into a marriage with Christine, or worse, her being pregnant. We already had that kind of soap opera in CSI:Miami. I'd be glad to see him happy in a solid relationship with her.
Oh you know they'll mess something up... :rolleyes: But I don't think you have to worry about Christine ending up pregnant. At the end of this upcoming season Mac will be 51 and even if Christine is a full ten years younger than he is that would still make her 41. I really don't see the two of them having any biological children. Of course, this is bringing in real life assumptions and we know how that works in this show.... :lol: Still, I don't see it happening. Realistically the farthest I see them taking Mac and Christine's relationship is an engagement at the end of the season(series).

Oh you know they'll mess something up... :rolleyes: But I don't think you have to worry about Christine ending up pregnant. At the end of this upcoming season Mac will be 51 and even if Christine is a full ten years younger than he is that would still make her 41. I really don't see the two of them having any biological children. Of course, this is bringing in real life assumptions and we know how that works in this show.... :lol: Still, I don't see it happening. Realistically the farthest I see them taking Mac and Christine's relationship is an engagement at the end of the season(series).

I think there is a possibility that they get engaged. Simply because if there will be a season 10 (I keep hoping) they will have a continuation of the story line.

I think there is a possibility that they get engaged. Simply because if there will be a season 10 (I keep hoping) they will have a continuation of the story line.

I don't want them to become parents, I don't want them to get married, I don't even want them to get engaged. But I'm afraid no one cares what I want :lol: It's gonna be interesting to see their relationship grow, but personally, I think it would be better to keep it like that. When I read things like "[Flack] cannot resist what he knows is inevitable" it's enough to make me :wtf::evil::devil:

I'm really glad to see Mac having some happiness in his personal life. But at the same time, I'm leaning towards Mac's love life being open-ended as it leaves many roads up to interpretation. Even better, it seems that Mac is with someone far outside the lab which I think is a much better choice than inter-lab pairings I.E. D/L. No offense to Dantana fans. :) For now though, I hope they do develop Mac and Christine's relationship carefully without causing too much distraction.

CSI:NY managed to pull off a Harry Houdini and survives for another fall season. Let's ensure it has another solid run through the 2012-13 season. :)

Yes, Lindsay did say she was going to Montana to visit her mother when she was pregnant so I hope they're not rewriting more history.

They're rewriting the history on Lucy's name, though. :rolleyes: After she was born someone asked what her name was. Lindsay said "Lydia" and Danny said "Lucy" at the same time. It wasn't until later we found out she ended up being named Lucy.

No surprise here, but I really could give a rat's ass about Lindsay going to Montana because of Daniel Katums. If they wanted her back in Montana have it be for her mother's funeral or something. Must everything about Lindsay revolve around Danny, Montana and Daniel Katums? Give her a little depth instead of trotting out the plot device you used in S3.

Yes, Lindsay did say she was going to Montana to visit her mother when she was pregnant so I hope they're not rewriting more history.

They're rewriting the history on Lucy's name, though. :rolleyes: After she was born someone asked what her name was. Lindsay said "Lydia" and Danny said "Lucy" at the same time. It wasn't until later we found out she ended up being named Lucy.

No surprise here, but I really could give a rat's ass about Lindsay going to Montana because of Daniel Katums. If they wanted her back in Montana have it be for her mother's funeral or something. Must everything about Lindsay revolve around Danny, Montana and Daniel Katums? Give her a little depth instead of trotting out the plot device you used in S3.

I probably need to see the episode again but I don't remember them saying he was going to get the death penalty. Unless they just pulled it out of their ass.

And on that point, they said her mother, I don't recall them saying her parents.

I probably need to see the episode again but I don't remember them saying he was going to get the death penalty. Unless they just pulled it out of their ass.

They didn't say either way. But him being sentenced to death isn't that much of a stretch since the death penalty can be imposed in Montana.

They didn't say either way. But him being sentenced to death isn't that much of a stretch since the death penalty can be imposed in Montana.

Oh, they didn't either way, wow.

I didn't think if they had the death penalty or not, I just assumed the guy would have gotten life.

Ugh, why do they keep changing stuff? I'd be fine with the name thing if Lindsay had said "Lucy", but it was indeed Danny, Lindsay wanted Lydia. Unless perhaps those were both her friends' names, and Danny went along with it, but they liked different names. Otherwise, no, it makes no sense.

Also they made a mistake with Stella...she told a kid in a season one ep that she lived at St.Basil's until she was 18 and then season 3 or 4 had that big crossover plot with her and the foster sister she lived with.

I also assumed Claire had an illness or injury before her death...it was the best way to cover the plot hole. The novels have a few but one, they aren't officially canon if it's like most shows, and two, new info can get revealed to change things. (the novel saying Mac never got through to Claire vs him talking to her on the cell in Indelible, and didn't they only reveal later about no body being found? That excuses the grave scene in the first novel, that or a empty grave.) So I don't give them too much thought.

But the franchise isn't great with it...look at original CSI. They forgot Sara's brother, they posted bios on the website and then changed them (Catherine was from Bozeman and then they changed it...I assumed they saved it and gave it to Lindsay lol)

If this does turn out to be the last season, I'd love a Mac wedding, it would be a kind of full circle thing. To me, it depends on how soon we learn the show's fate...they had to do it ambigious the last few years due to renewal not coming until after filming was finished. If the show were to go on, I'd be happy with an engagement.

Last edited:
CSI: NY Episode 9.08 "Late Admissions"

STORY LINE: The CSI team investigates the murder of Luke, and finds his death linked to the sale of performance enhancement drugs; Lindsay returns home to Montana, to witness the execution of Daniel Katums.

Back