Season 7 Spoiler Discussion part 2 - Fighting Crime In Gotham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Danny has been an empty shell of a character with only brief glimpses of what he used to, and still should be, here and there ever since TPTB decided to go with the ridiculous DL crap. Him leaving NY for Lindsay would drain him of whatever TPTB could have left as a recognizable, redeemable character.

I'm curious, what's changed about the writing of the character? I'm not always easily able to pick up on the stuff, IDK why. (if this should be in the character thread, lemme know and I'll move it.)

If you go back and watch S1 - early S3 and compare that to what he's been like since they started the whole DL fiasco there is no doubt that the character is the same in name only. His whole personality has changed and even his backstory changed. All to accomodate the fauxmance with Lindsay. S4 had hope for his return with the Ruben/Rikki storyline, but that was completely shelved for convienence sake when Anna Belknap got pregnant and they turned the whole story line into nothing but a speed bump to DL getting together. Danny's gone from one of the most compelling characters on network TV to one of the least compelling all because of DL fanservice. If they end the series with him leaving NY for Montana because of Lindsay and the spawn, it will be the worst dismantling of a character that I've ever seen on network television.

Danny's gone from one of the most compelling characters on network TV to one of the least compelling all because of DL fanservice. If they end the series with him leaving NY for Montana because of Lindsay and the spawn, it will be the worst dismantling of a character that I've ever seen on network television.

Well said.

Sadly, I couldn't agree more with you.

Maybe it's just hard to keep track as the show gets longer...I've found that with regular CSI. I enjoy the early eps, but it's so hard to keep track of character development and plots and stuff now. Unless it's something blatant, like the Hawkes thing. I picked up on that right away. Maybe if I rewatch more, I'll notice.

I do wish a few more D/L fans would post...I know they're there, because of the ship thread section. We can't get into debates here, but I think they must be shying away, because I've only seen one or two others having any liking for it.

I hope we do get another season, 'cause then hopefully nobody will leave, unless we get another surprise like Melina.

I kinda think that another part of the problem is not getting the right replacement for VF...there are a lot who seem to think Anna doesn't have the range to make all of the Lindsay stuff believable. Plus you have to write ships so that the characters stay who they are...I think CSI did okay, despite a bit too much GSR working together overload their last few seasons. I wonder why the NY writers don't pick up on it.

*still misses Flack/Angell ship*

Last edited:
S4 had hope for his return with the Ruben/Rikki storyline, but that was completely shelved for convienence sake when Anna Belknap got pregnant and they turned the whole story line into nothing but a speed bump to DL getting together.

Well you can't blame Anna Belknap for that. From what I've heard, the main reason behind the pairing/marriage of Danny/Lindsay was Gary Sinise's objection to having a character on the show be an unwed mother.

S4 had hope for his return with the Ruben/Rikki storyline, but that was completely shelved for convienence sake when Anna Belknap got pregnant and they turned the whole story line into nothing but a speed bump to DL getting together.

Well you can't blame Anna Belknap for that. From what I've heard, the main reason behind the pairing/marriage of Danny/Lindsay was Gary Sinise's objection to having a character on the show be an unwed mother.

Where did I blame Anna Belknap for TPTB chosing to write in her pregancy? Oh, that's right. Nowhere.

I took a look at the spoilers for the finale, and I've changed my mind about Danny and Lindsay visiting Montana or whatever (at least, I see no evidence to prove that one way or the other). There are case-related scenes in North Carolina (and possibly Georgia).

I live in NC, so we'll see how well rural LA stands in for the area. :p

I took a look at the spoilers for the finale, and I've changed my mind about Danny and Lindsay visiting Montana or whatever (at least, I see no evidence to prove that one way or the other). There are case-related scenes in North Carolina (and possibly Georgia).

I live in NC, so we'll see how well rural LA stands in for the area. :p

Whew! That's a much better explanation.

wh.......huh? :wtf: Now THAT I find impossible to believe. Jo is an unwed mother for god's sake. And Gary hardly has a squeaky clean past (not as far as having illegimate kids goes, but he's definitely gotten around and lived life to the fullest in other regards :hugegrin: ) What I maybe, possibly see is that he might have had objections to the story line of Danny knocking Lindsey up and then cheating on and dumping her? maybe.....? but good lord, do you *know* the material he still claims to this day to be his inspiration and stuff that propelled his style and career? "Midnight Cowboy" (go wiki/google/yt that if you don't know the implications), "Taxi Driver" (even referenced in s6), and all those anti-hero rough films from the era with Deniro, Pacino and the like.

I think it was more the awkwardness and potential difficulty of having to write the two characters if they didn't reconcile AND there was a baby. Not that it couldn't be done by any stretch, but we all know the writers struggle as it is...:rolleyes: Besides, if they wanted to, they simply could have gotten around Anna's pregnancy like they did the 2nd time.

No, they used it as a sappy catalyst to put the two together, and not for any sort of goody-two-shoes objections from Gary.

wh.......huh? :wtf: Now THAT I find impossible to believe. Jo is an unwed mother for god's sake.

I've never heard anything about Gary objecting to Lindsay's unwed pregnancy. Jo is a divorced mother, which is different than being an unwed mother. The latter usually means that the woman got pregnant outside of marriage, which is what Lindsay did. My opinion on Jo is that her son was probably planned. That's the impression I get from Jo anyway. Not saying anyone had a problem with Lindsay's pregnancy storyline for that reason, I'm just stating why any who might have taken issue with it wouldn't feel the same about Jo being a single mother.

Last edited:
CBS posted this ultimate look back video - I don't know if it's supposed to be relevant to the finale or not. It seems a bit random - showing the personal storylines makes sense, but why show so much of the cases themselves? IDK, what do you guys think?

Watching it reminded me how lame I thought the medal stuff was in the premiere, though (before it got dropped into the Black Hole of Continuity). ~Warrior~

CBS posted this ultimate look back video - I don't know if it's supposed to be relevant to the finale or not. It seems a bit random - showing the personal storylines makes sense, but why show so much of the cases themselves? IDK, what do you guys think?

Watching it reminded me how lame I thought the medal stuff was in the premiere, though (before it got dropped into the Black Hole of Continuity). ~Warrior~

I thought it was odd. Especially showing so much of the Lindsay crap from the premiere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back