• D

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • D-

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
Faylinn, you crack me up!

I gave it a B. Reminds me of the roller derby show they did--chicks in skimpy clothing...Isn't industrial silicone to blame for Priscilla Presley's face??

I think they should do a male equivalent....investigate a death at a male water polo team! A hockey speed skating club! (Lots of lycra! Flack could go undercover...):drool:

Loved Sid and Hawks. Stella too.

Report the badge, meathead. Like this isn't going to bite you in the butt soon. Shane Casey??? He was clever and devious. Bring him on!

Tobin

Last edited:
Normally, I have much to say about CSI:NY in the days after it airs, nitpicking and criticizing and exposing the holes in plot, logic, and continuity, but "Flag on the Play" was so inoffensive that there isn't much to say. The case wasn't riveting, but it was sturdy and serviceable, and I didn't find myself marveling at the madman's logic with which they often spackle together half-assed conclusions, though the shady, fraudulent doctor angle did come out of left field forty minutes in. Some foreshadowing would have been nice.

It was wonderful to see Sid, who's been MIA for several episodes, enjoying a brief moment in the spotlight. They showcased his compassion without presenting him as the righteous uberhero. Unlike Mac and Stella, who often warp the laws of physics and credibility in their pursuit of justice and sainthood, Sid worked solely within the confines of his office to help a grieving mother and bring a reckless con artist to justice.

The episode was far from perfect, however. I find the stolen badge storyline idiotic. I can well believe that Danny's badge might have been stolen. There are enough kleptos, druggies, and law-enforcement fanboys that I can see someone stripping Danny's locker bare and pawning the loot. I can also buy that insecure, paranoid, indecisive Danny wouldn't "want to make a big deal out of it" for fear that it reflect poorly on his already spotty track record. He's already had his gun stolen by a grief-stricken mother and been suspected of murder, and of killing a fellow cop. He's been suspended for excessive force. He's probably on thinner ice than his colleagues, and under greater scrutiny. He likely can't afford many more missteps. So, while he's being stupid, I understand why.

But I cannot buy that neither Lindsay nor Flack would insist that he report the theft. To his credit, Flack pointed out that Danny's badge could be in the hands of a nutjob who could use it to hurt someone and was genuinely disgusted by Danny's feeble, whiny excuse, and to her credit, Lindsay pointed out that Danny's failure to report could earn him a command discipline, but neither of them does anything about it. Maybe Flack figures it's none of his affair, or maybe he's tired of cleaning up after Danny, whose gross unwillingness to take responsibility for the tools of his profession has twice endangered the people he's sworn to protect and serve and has grown to dangerous proportions.

But Lindsay, I don't get. I think it's fabulous that Madame Me finally cares about someone other than herself, but she has to know that Danny's failure to report the theft could have terrible consequences for the entire family. If Danny's badge is used in the commission of a crime and the prior knowledge of its loss comes to light, Danny could be fired and/or prosecuted for negligence and dereliction of duty. Grieving families could sue for wrongful death. Hell, she might be fired for helping him conceal the theft. She needs to help Danny, yes, but both of them need to act like adults, like parents, and consider the possible repercussions for Lucy, who never asked to be born to a pair of clueless, self-involved putzes.

So, the thief is Shane Casey? I won't lie; I squealed like a giddy Clay Aiken fan. Shane Casey is one of the most interesting nemeses the show has ever had, and I can't wait to see where it goes.

Flack had an alcoholic uncle who sold his cuff links to get his drink on? Well, that puts an interesting spin on Sam's alcoholism and his own brief foray into binge drinking earlier this season.

I refuse to believe that Sid Hammerback would be so crass as to play touchdown with a football given to him five minutes before by a grieving mother. Really, writers? Why must you shoehorn a paean to Mac's unassailable greatness into every episode at the expense of other characters' integrity?

B

Last edited:
Well I finally caught it online yesterday. It didn't seem like an episode I really wanted to watch, and I was right.

The lingere football was *yawn* boring. Can we not have half naked ladies parading themselves around??? And did anyone else notice that none of them wore anything larger than a size 4??? Sorry but without getting into a social commentary about women on TV, that was the stupidest idea ever! If CSI NY wanted to do an episode about football (I'm assuming so because of the very corny ending scene with Mac catching the football thrown by Sid and holding it up to the camera. My guess the whole episode was sort of dedicated to the football playoffs, but that's me. :rolleyes:)

Anyhooooo..... I wanted the mother to be the purp for some reason. Maybe I've been watching CSI too long and everyone is a suspect until they are not??? But I still didn't get the lydocaine angle. I think these episodes are getting to the point where they are no longer holding my interest at the time so I need to watch them again??? :eek:

I did love Sid. He is very underused and sort of typecast as the creepy ME.
I love how he came out of the morgue and comforted the grieving mother. Not everyone could have done it like Sid. :D

I'm not even going to touch the Danny badge issue. It's so stupid... Stupid in the fact that didn't report it right away and the fact that Lindsay didn't do much about it either. If this were Flack, His captain would be chewing out Flack's ass if he found out. I wonder what wonderful words Mac will have for Danny when he finds out???

The Shane Casey bit is sort of interesting but how did he do it???
I guess that will keep us watching, right?

Overall C-

I'm not even going to touch the Danny badge issue. It's so stupid... I wonder what wonderful words Mac will have for Danny when he finds out???

With all the previous issues Danny had and nothing really special about his work in the lab, I am wondering why Mac didn't fire him yet? I would. :rolleyes:

Grade D for me the only thing saving it from an F was Sid. Seeing girls trying to be guys in there underwear does nothing for me. And it seems like the message was "The reality of superficial women." And no Smack :(Gee come to think of it should have given it an F.....Naw I really like Sid!:)

I can't wait to see what happens with Shane Casey and Danny. Im just glad Danny is getting a story. I want to see more of Danny and the Tanglewood Boys or his brother Louie. Anyone agree with me.

I can't wait to see what happens with Shane Casey and Danny. Im just glad Danny is getting a story. I want to see more of Danny and the Tanglewood Boys or his brother Louie. Anyone agree with me.

Well, it's my hope that we find out about Louie with Shane being back, considering the last time we saw him he mentioned that he knew all about Louie. But the way they concluded makes me think that this won't be a central storyline yet. I rewatched it to see if I missed anything as my family decided to talk very loudly the first time. I hadn't really missed anything.

Faylin, your commentary was hilarious. In fact, it was better than the episode :p And I totally agree that even the second time, I think Mac's gonna fall into a manhole.

Dannys brother Louie died back in season 2 or 3. It tried to clear Danny of any wrong doing in an old murder. The tanglewood boys shot a drug dealer and buried hin in the end zone of a football stadium. When one of the tangelwood boy's called mac and confessed just before he committed sucide, he led the police to the body. while gathering evidence at the murder scene they found a ciggrette butt in the grave. The butt had Dannys DNA on it. when Louie found out Danny was a suspect he wore a wire to get the real killer to confess. He was beaten almost to death and died later in the hospital. There were only four tangelwood boy's. Three are dead and one is doing life in prison for the murder. Just to make it clear, Danny was there that night. When Louie realized what was going down he got into a fight with Danny and made him leave before the murder so he would not be involved. After louie hit him and pushed him on the ground Danny threw a cigrette at him and that's how it wound up at the scene.

Dannys brother Louie died back in season 2 or 3.
Uh... he was beaten within an inch of his life (as Flack put it) and hospitalised, but we never found out if he lived or died.

It is possible that he's not dead. We don't really know.

yeah, exactly, it was never made explicit whether he died - the last we heard was when mac came to hug danny and danny said it was looking bad, but that's not the same as saying he'd died.

also i think it was heavily implied that louie had, if not shot the guy, at least dug the grave, because it was shown that the reason the cigarette was in the grave itself (rather than just at the scene) was that it fell off his ear during the digging.

did we ever find out what shane casey actually knows about louie? from what i recall we just saw danny telling him a little about it, and shane saying something about he knew about louie? it'd be interesting if we could find out whether louie died or not though!

But Lindsay, I don't get. I think it's fabulous that Madame Me finally cares about someone other than herself, but she has to know that Danny's failure to report the theft could have terrible consequences for the entire family. If Danny's badge is used in the commission of a crime and the prior knowledge of its loss comes to light, Danny could be fired and/or prosecuted for negligence and dereliction of duty.

Lindsey is between a rock and a hard place in this situation. If she says nothing, then she's just as responsible for any consequences that arise as a result of the badge being stolen. But if she goes behind Danny's back and tells Mac, she's being a bad wife and not supporting her husband.
Really though, this is one time when she needs to put the job before her husband, and at the very least keep putting pressure on Danny to tell Mac, maybe even giving him an "if you won't tell Mac then I will" ultimatum.

Back