H1N1 Flu Virus

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Oct 22, 2009.

1. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I just got my shot today. Boy did it hurt! The nurse warned me and I said, "Oh man, you weren't kidding." Then I started laughing because, well, it was better than crying.

2. Shytownmofo

Shytownmofo Lab Technician

Here's the US CDC updates page on the H1N1 flu.

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/whatsnew.htm

Interesting that they've adjusted the number of deaths in the United States to include all the deaths that had anything to do with H1N1...Average influenza deaths per month is around 5,000

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/f/flu/deaths.htm

I don't know if it's scare mongering or just being cautious. It's crazy. I don't know who to believe anymore.

I guess the best thing to do is to just follow the universal precautions, and then if you're high risk, IE weakened immune system, etc then get the shot. I just don't like this "IF you get this you will DIE!!!" crap. I just gets old, IMO.

3. MoonyGirl

MoonyGirl Pathologist

In Finland this is really going out of hand with the media. Now there's not a single day without news about H1N1.

Seven has dead in this flu and there's been a massive speculation about them.

In our school have been sick people, but they don't test is it a normal flu or this H1N1.

Vaccination system makes me irritated! They promised that high school students will get their vaccination this week but it didn't happen! Instead we had to watch when people get sick and cough in school. I've washed my hands more than normally and I don't have it "yet". I'd like to get the vaccination rather than get the actualy flu but I'm starting to loose my believe of gettin it soon enough...

4. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Yes, the media has gone insane. Horrible headlines and then EVERYONE of those who have died, have had some serious diseases. Like two in Lapland, two old ones with incurable cancers.

My Uni is thru with riskgroups and I guess would get one next week but I don't bother getting one.

5. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

lucky finland, it's been going on in the uk for almost a year and apparently the media STILL aren't bored.

6. Shytownmofo

Shytownmofo Lab Technician

What's so messed up is that in the US alone, according to the article I posted, 20,000+ die from Flu related complications per year, in the US alone, and the CDC is throwing a gibantic freakout over 4000 deaths from H1N1 + Complications. 60,000 people in the US died in 2001 from Influenza + Complications.

I get that the H1N1 has been more prevalent among young and healthy people, and I get that it's not fun to have, but guess what? I had the flu in 2000, when it was really awful, 2007, when it was really awful, and creeping crud in years between when I was so sick that I didn't know where I was.

Scare tactics don't benefit anyone. They really don't. It just creates panic. All this "Oh Noes! You're gonna get the Swine Flu and you're gonna DIE!! is just annoying and creates some really messed up conditions in hospitals and doctors' offices.

7. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

I just found this at foxnews, yahoo news, Abc news, etc.

I don't know if its completely true but if that is the case, then most adults even if they had the flu before and regular flu vaccs, even if you get the new vacs then it just doubles the immunity at least thats what I am thinking.

8. nessy

nessy Witness

I've had the swine flu jab, I had it 2 weeks ago. It didn't hurt to actually have the jab but then a few hours later my arm swelled up and was really sore for the next 4 days. It's the only side effect I had from it. Think I got off lightly really compared to actually having swine flu as I tend to get bad winter colds and coughs that go into chest infections because I have asthma.
    Swine flu doesn't really seem to make the news so much now in the U.K. At work we've had a couple of slight epidemics of it, one in the summer and one more recently, where four or five staff members would be off with it and then it would disappear. I'm quite surprised considering I work in a supermarket. Otherwise life seems to be going on as normal.

9. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

We got the shot about a month ago for the kids. The week before Thanksgiving they starting giving them at the schools. First the high schools. Got a real nice for for my niece and we signed off that she was not to get it. They did the middle schools the monday right before Thanksgiving. Now they're on the elementary schools. We got some crazy form from my nephew where they had 1 line to say that your kid already got it. We put down when he got it and x'ed through everyplace wanting a signature to give permission for the shot wrote down our phone number and that he had the shot and to give it to somebody else. This morning we sent him to school telling him that if they try to give him the shot he is not to take it ant to tell them to call home first.

Susan

10. Ducky

Looks like now newspapers have got other news to report, been bit quiet for a while. And of course on Sunday we had our Independence Day so that can cause news for 3-4 days ;)

Anyways, I callled today to FSHS to get prescription to hepatitis A+B vaccine and the nurse asked if I wanted swinefluvaccine as well. I said no and she said "just thought since we are giving the shots this week" - kind of nice to ask. I am turning 25 in a month so that's why I have right to get it now.. even I think when I turn 25,they are already giving shots to those over 25 ;)

11. Ducky

Okay... I ended up getting swineflu shot today... I was going to get my 2nd for hepatitis A+B and nurse was kind of demanding even she said "it's your choice" :lol: Oh no wonder people are hysteric if they all talk like that - I just thought it was easier to give in, even I still don't understand why healthy adults should get the shot.
    I know I have bit bad lungs so if I get really sick (I've never eaten antibiotics) that what if my lungs refuse to work.

So now I have both arms sore :p :lol:

12. Ducky

Okay. SO IT WAS ALL HOAX...
    :lol:

I am sorry but I laughed earlier this summer when there started be headlines about some supermegahostpitalbug how it's spreading and will be epidemic.

I guess they didn't get people interested in swine flu anymore.

So now, omfg, too many kids and youths have gotten narcolepsy and almost everyone had swineflu shot (pandermix or whatever GSK was selling). So of course after few weeks headlines our National Institute of Health and Welfare stops giving the shots.

Millions of unsed vaccines that countries spent millions to buy. And it's even more fun that this Institue got about 6mil from GSK for "research"

I swear those creating medicine set these bugs free. Kind of feel silly now that I gave up to that nurse.