Grade 'Blacklist'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Sep 30, 2009.

?

How would you grade Blacklist?

1. A+

12 vote(s)
    17.4%
  2. A

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. A-

9 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. B+

9 vote(s)
    13.0%
  5. B

10 vote(s)
    14.5%
  6. B-

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  7. C+

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  8. C

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  9. C-

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. csimania19

csimania19 Rookie

episode was good! very techie. i did not get this episode at all before watching it even with the promo out, but i think that made me more invested in the ep. loved the elevator scene. :lol:

loved the interrogation scene with the first guy brought in and flack. those acronyms (TYAIJ:lol:) and the guy making references to twitter and youtube. i thought that was pretty cool lol. and flack mentioned big brother in the resto. haha. is it just me or does the doctor (benton's vic in the resto) look like grissom? lol.

continuity has been going well! it was great that they showed flack still haunted by jess' death. with spoilers for the next couple of episodes TPTB's really pursuing this. can't wait for eddie cahill to show his stuff! :)

i was also pretty surprised that they had another flashback scene with mac and his dad. i thought all would end with mac entering the room and seeing his dad. i guess not.

nope, he wasn't. there wasn't even an autopsy scene i believe. hawkes did most of the work in the crime scene itself.

graded this an A. :)

2. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

^^Ok, I didn't think so. I couldn't remember seeing him, and I couldn't think of a scene he would have been involved in - but I wasn't sure if I'd just missed something. No Sid. :( Bummer.

3. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

haha, i don't mind that, but then i'm a mac fan, so that makes sense. although i can see why people get frustrated by it!

:lol: he must do, yeah, it seems so easy for people to find out every detail about him and use it against him! i really liked the backstory stuff too and i'm glad they fleshed it out with flashbacks. like you say the "sir" thing was really interesting, very proper! and it was lovely to hear more about claire and why he took the job and so on.

haha, me too!!

yeah i'm glad i wasn't the only one to spot that - it was quite funny i thought, like she went to put her hand on his shoulder - as if my memory serves, she's done a million times before (and not just with him), but the way she took it away again very very quickly was interesting....

absolutely, all kinds of dastardly things can go on with surveillance - the uk is the most cctv'd nation on earth so we know all about it:guffaw:

i liked that it was hawkes too, although it crossed my mind that it was a bit convenient. if it had been someone else, perhaps there could've been room for an awkward rest of the drive while mac tried to avoid the inevitable questions. and yes, he did say that - but i really don't think they're mutually exclusive. in fact i think it's *more* dignified to use assisted suicide in those situations.

yep, me too :thumbsup:

it was, they have to have at least one a season apparently. not that i mind it, like i said, as far as i'm concerned, the more mac the better, but i hope they allow other characters more screen time later on as well.

i liked those bits too, especially the flack bit.

hmm i'm not sure i was entirely convinced either but i'm not sure who else could've done it apart from maybe his son but he would've been a bit young i think.

yeah, i thought the same, she was almost hilarious.

he did in the credits ;):lol:

i agree, much as i always like mac-centric stuff, i do think it's a bit far fetched when every criminal ever in history has a personal vendetta against him, at least this time it was just a kind of side order. as for claire, mac's dad said that claire was from NY, which to me suggested that she was currently living in chicago (ie with mac, when he was home), i think it's plausible that she moved to chicago for a while and then they moved back to NY so she could be back home.

haha, yeah i was quite impressed as well!! perhaps he just has very strong knees?!

ps - i said A- - i really liked it and i love the mac centric episodes (although i think i'm in a minority!), but one or two little things bothered me and i think although i loved this ep as a mac-backstory-thingie, i preferred last week's in terms of a csi episode. make sense?

4. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

B-... barely.

What I want to know is how the killer took a look at Mac's profile after looking at Flack's and thought... yeah, this is the guy who will sympathize with me. :rolleyes: Maybe there was nothing in Flack's profile about his girlfriend dying and him shooting her killer? I find that last bit hard to believe. Wouldn't Flack be the more likely guy to be pissed at the system? Not that he'd sympathize really... but there might be a moment there. Flack's obvious got some issues.

Sanctimonious Mac--or "Mactimony" as someone around here brilliantly deemed it--is still annoying. I don't care how right he is, most of the time he comes off as smug and condescending.

The Mac flashbacks didn't really tell us anything new or meaningful, and I was distracted by the attempt to make Gary Sinise look younger. :lol: As someone said above, getting a younger actor would have been the way to go. Maybe they tried and couldn't find one who looked enough like Sinise?

Sorry, Lindsay, I don't buy that in any universe you are cool enough to own a vintage Whitesnake t-shirt. You might be sucking less these days, but you're still dressing pretty prissy most of the time. :lol:

It's fun to watch Adam being more confident. He's still a nerd, but he's a nerd who knows he knows what he's talking about. I'm glad they're not playing up the weird between him and Stella, but rather showing that there is a connection there now that wasn't there before.

Greg Germann was good, but I think the role of the kooky priest on CSI last season served him better.

5. LVNYfan1113

LVNYfan1113 Dead on Arrival

For those who are asking if Sid appeared in the episode, he did. Well, aside from the opening credits :) he appeared in a flashback when he was giving the bullet recovered from Mr. Dexter to Stella. A like the episode.

6. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

I gave it a C. So far CSI NY hasn't been really that exciting to me.

I see why they went with Mac's parents, since Yahrzeit I'm sure people wanted to know more about Mac's back story.. but I think they were off some??? :confused:
    Since when is Claire from NYC? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but Claire is from Chicago, that's where he met her. And Reed also, is from Chicago. Faylinn, can I borrow your Black Hole of Continuity icon? Because I think one of TPTB fell into it. :lol:

As much as I also LOVE Mac and Mac-centered episodes are good, but lately we have been getting too many 'Mac-Vs-the-World' episodes which I'm sorry are sort of boring after a while.

The storyline was predictable. I figured it out after the second victim in the restaurant. Faylinn I read that you thought the voice was Zach Quinto (I would have melted if that were the case) but Greg Germainn did a great job as the sick person trying to make himself feel better about the crappy health-care system. He was the only good thing about the storyline.
    Mac's family history was okay, but again, lacking some details.

Overall, a fair episode, I gave it a C

7. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

That was great. :lol: Flack back in true form! :D

I loved the fact that they showed the flashback, shows that Flack is definitely not over the loss of Jess. Lindsay in the Whitesnake shirt and the reason was cute... and Hawkes saying "Whitesnake, huh?" :lol: I've heard various people on various shows making fun of people for liking Whitesnake. I personally like some of their songs though.

Well, they did make Gail look much older and Gary look much younger, but even still... why not go with a younger actor?

:lol: Darth Vader! I thought he sounded like one of those prank/creepy phone calls with the "heavy breather". :lol:

And the Grave digger thing made me think of Bones too. But, it's only fair that they stole that from Bones since Bones sort of stole the Adam-possible job loss- and everyone giving up their paid vacations so he could stay storyline last week when Wendall's scholarship and the numerous "anonymous" donations.

Mactimony. :lol: Nice word. I'm usually not annoyed with Mac, but that last comment he made to Benton (dont' remember what it was) bugged me.

I gave it a C+, but I agree that it hasn't been that exciting so far.

8. calleighspeedle

calleighspeedle Coroner

I gave this episode a B. It wasn't as good as last week.

9. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

C+ for me. This episode just didn't do it for me. It wasn't believable on lots of levels...they had this great idea but the supporting story wouldn't "stick". It was nice to see a bit of Mac's background but I felt the connection to the current case was weak, at best. The idea of hijacking technology and controlling a car like that was really cool but it took watching it two times to figure out that this guy just wanted these people to suffer like he was and to feel helpless and out of control.

The car in the alley was better than the doctor in the restaurant. If I had that bad of a reaction to peanuts you could bet money I'd have an epipen on me at all times, especially as a doctor, but he didn't. Made the scene very unbelievable.

The girl in the elevator was even more preposterous. Someone already mentioned her choosing the elevator over the stairs and I agree with that point. But then again I guess the elevator may have been faster than going down a closed stairwell which is also confining.

As for characters:

Stella is keeping her distance from any personal contact with Danny. She asks others about him but won't approach him herself except in a professional sense. Makes me think she's not dealing with the shooting well at all. Nice moment between her and Lindsay. Most interesting is the changed dynamic between her and Adam. In the past she could pat him on the back or touch his shoulder and it was just Stella being the warm supportive kiss-on-the-cheek Stella we all know and love. It's one of her greatest qualities in my opinion and she manages to convey that touchyfeelyness without guys getting the wrong idea. BUT...now that she and Adam have breached that boundry and slept together she seems to struggle with what her touch will mean to him. She did reach out to touch him on the shoulder and then snatched her hand away before completing the movement. Makes me wonder what questions she is now asking herself...what does the touch mean to her, to him, can't lead him on but want to be herself and how to do that. Strong inner battle, hmmm????

Adam does seem more manly now. Not sure if that is supposed to be there or if I am just looking at him differently. He does seem more confident and adult, even when he is kidding around.

I like the working relationship between Adam and Danny. They are different enough to be interesting and seem to enjoy working together. Always fun to watch when they get around the computers in the AV lab.

I think Sheldon is a really sweet character but he reminds me of a stage actor plopped down in the middle of a TV show because every movement he makes and every word he speaks seems just a bit overstated, which is a stage technique to reach the audience in the very back. He's just a little too sharp, a little too precise, and it draws me out of just about every scene he is in, whether it is explaining a blood spatter or snapping pictures.

Mac is Mac is Mac and will never be anything less than Mac.

After her great performance last week, Lindsay was very lowkey in this one. Even when she came up with the medical connection it didn't stand out as her grandstanding so that was good. I like that Stella actually listened and asked her to follow the lead further. Anyone who has ever been thrown up on by a baby knows that it's always at the last minute and you grab the first thing available so the T-shirt was very true to real life. I don't know Whitesnake so that reference was lost on me. However, I will say this. I showed up at a Lynyrd Skynyrd concert one time and when someone saw me they were shocked because I don't fit the mold. I'm a closet rocker that loves hard driving music so maybe we're seeing a bit of Lindsay that is incongruous with her outer persona. Maybe.

Flack is struggling and Eddie is doing a good job of making that believable. All I can do is wait and see what is going to happen next with him. Right now he seems to be holding things together. Mac certainly likes to hover around him and question his state of mind and sleeping habits. I guess it takes one that has lost someone to recognize the suffering of someone else in the same situation.

Wow that was long and rambling for a mediocre C+ episode. Eh.

ETA: Did we know Mac's father was from Texas? That Texan drawl was, um, well, okay I'll go with unbelievable. I seem to like that word today. And I liked Stella's red sweater with the buckle on the front. Very nice.

10. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

since they decided she was :lol::lol: seriously, i don't think it was that big a glitch - yes, maybe they did meet in chicago (i thought that too) and yes, maybe reed was born/adopted in chicago, but that doesn't make her *from* chicago, maybe she grew up in NY and her parents lived there or something, and she moved to chicago for whatever reason and met mac there and settled there? i mean, i'm a londoner thru and thru and have lived here for 15 years, but if asked where i was from, i/anyone else'd be forced to say cambridge. i don't think someone moving from one city to another is necessarily a continuity problem, it's not like they're that far apart really, not like they suddenly decided she was from vladivostok or something!

i can totally see people's frustration with this but i love 'em :) i don't think mac's as sanctimonious as people think (although to be fair if i had met a character like him in real life i'd probably have yelled at him or worse by now!)

yeah i thought that too - she seemed quite nervous during that conversation as well, i thought it was a bit odd and assumed it was just her not dealing very well.

absolutely, it's very interesting to watch - it's almost like they're already going for the "how do co workers deal with that situation?" angle before we've really seen anything happen!

11. Top41

On some level, they've all got to be looking at Danny and thinking, "That could have been me." It's interesting the different reactions it's eliciting--Lindsay is being protective of him and trying to basically fix the situation by hoping he'll get out of that wheelchair, Stella's avoiding the issue with Danny directly while still being concerned, Adam is trying to act like everything's normal, Mac is angry about it and Flack seems to be avoiding Danny completely... while still hovering, in the background, protectively.

12. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ yeah, you're right, i'd noticed how varied their reactions have been too. that moment when adam accidentally did his hi-five too high for danny was an awkward one - i wonder how danny felt about that. it was weird because i was expecting adam to realise his mistake, and get all nervy and apologetic, which i think the "old" adam would've done, but this time he reacted in a way which i thought was almost too far in the opposite direction, it was like he didn't care almost (which i'm sure wasn't true).

13. christalann

christalann Hit and Run

First off, did anyone else see that the first shot of the stairs that hawkes and mac climb is the same stairs that is in charge of this post (i think, its the epidsode where the building blows up and flack is split open?) ? I thought for a second that the building was going to blow up.

Otherwise, I liked the episode alot. When the baddie started talking about mac's dad, I looked to my father and we both went "Ooooooooooo.. He's done it now.." Overall, I liked the flashbacks and the mention of Claire. I haven't heard her name in awhile. I gave it an A for the episode.

14. Top41

I totally picked up on that, too! He just kind of let his hand hang there, but didn't lower it. Maybe he thought he would have pissed Danny off if he did... but it did come off as a kind of "oh well" thing. I agree that speaks to the change in Adam, but it did come off as a bit insensitive.

15. christalann

christalann Hit and Run

From what I have seen in the episodes, Stella is like the "Mother Hen". Now one of her chickies is hurt, and she's confused. It might make sense that since Danny is married now, that she is trying to figure out what to do that won't step on Lindsay's toes. So instead, she is staying back and watching and waiting.

I can be wrong, but that's just my thoughts on it.