Procter Has Motherhood On Her Mind

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, Jun 22, 2009.

1. CSI Files

CSI Files Captain

<I>CSI: Miami</I> actress <font color=yellow>Emily Procter</font> hopes that she and her character Calleigh Duquesne can become mothers in the near future.<p>Procter has spoken to the <I>Miami</I> writers about her desire to get pregnant. "I am hoping this is my year to have children," she told <A class="link" HREF="http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/index.html">Watch With Kristin</a>. "I understand that I am possibly more European in my views of marriage. I am not going to say I'm not going to get married, but it's not my priority."<p>If Procter is able to start a family, her pregnancy could be written into the series. Over on <I>CSI: New York</I>, <font color=yellow>Anna Belknap</font>'s second pregnancy was written into the show, causing Lindsay Monroe and Danny Messer (<font color=yellow>Carmine Giovinazzo</font>) to become parents. Procter has given thought to what would happen if <I>Miami</I> wrote in her pregnancy, especially considering her character's relationship with fellow CSI Eric Delko (<font color=yellow>Adam Rodriguez</font>). "I think the Eric and Calleigh story will work nicely if this is my year to get pregnant, and hopefully it will be," the actress said.<p><I>Miami</I> won't be shooting on location for the upcoming eighth season "because of budget costs," Procter shared. She also said she is "hoping for more action. I have been asking to jump out of a tall building for years, so maybe it will happen this year."<p>The original interview is from <A class="link" HREF="http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b129078_csi_miamis_emily_procter_hopes_get.html">Watch With Kristin</a>.<center></center>

2. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I think it's great that Emily wants to start a family (married or not ;)), and I hope she's able to get pregnant this year if that's what she wants. :D

However, I have to say that I hope TPTB will find a different way to accommodate her pregnancy other than writing it in. There are a lot of ways to cover up a pregnant actress, and I think a lot of them would provide very interesting departures from the norm that could benefit the show. Calleigh and Eric having a kid on the heels of Danny and Lindsay having a kid would be way too much CSI procreation in such a short period of time. Giving Emily an interesting storyline to work with that might take her character into new territory for the series sounds like a much better idea to me.

3. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I totally and completely agree with you Fay. I think a lot of people would holler about Miami copycatting the D/L/baby storyline if that happened on Miami. I don't want it to happen and not just because I'm not a E/C shipper. But because I don't think pregnancy would suit the Calleigh character at all not to mention the fact that Eric and Cal have only been dating for a few months. And people said it was too quick for D/L to have a baby? I think it would be really ill-advised for E/C to have a baby at this point. Both of them have too many personal issues that need to be worked out first (so did D/L actually, but at least both of them are secondary characters where as Calleigh is the lead female).

I mean, I am not a huge D/L shipper, but I don't mind them (they were much cuter in the beginning stages though... now I'm just kind of neutral on them as a couple and even as characters lol). That said, I still kind of wish the writers had not written in Anna's pregnancy... even if it has led to a few cute moments or even if the kid is so adorable. :lol: I just can't see a baby working in the Miami verse unless it was a secondary character or a recurring character. I fear that Miami may try it because no CSI show has had their lead female character pregnant before. I honestly hope they don't try it though. It just would not work.

The only way I could see a pregnancy working for the Calleigh character is if she were married to (or even just in a live-in relationship) someone who was not a part of the team like a recurring character or a new character- sort of like they did with JJ on Criminal Minds- they wrote in the actress' real life pregnancy very well and didn't shove her romance/baby in the viewers' faces (because not all viewers liked the idea of her having a baby with Will even though he's rarely seen on the show- him or the baby). An E/C baby would be too similiar to the D/L baby and it's way too soon for that.

I wouldn't mind seeing Calleigh do the stunt thing, but I don't think it would be safe for Emily to do while she was pregnant.

Just to be clear: I'm all for Emily having a baby, but I don't want her pregnancy written into the show.

Another reason is that it would take too much focus off of the other characters and there are some characters who aren't getting enough focus as it is. Frank and Natalia have both been left in the dust. I think this coming season should be the season for one or both of these nearly forgotten characters to get to shine more. :)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  4. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

I'm agreeing with both of you. It's cool that Emily wants to have a baby especially 'out-of-wedlock' as they say. But PLEASE don't write it into the show. :eek: :wtf:

Yes, there are more creative ways to get around a pregnant actress than to write it in. And if she wants to do more stunts, she's going to have to choose, being pregnant or jumping off high buildings as she said. :lol:

5. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Speaking of other characters not getting any focus - one idea that would work out nicely for everyone involved would be if they accommodated Emily's pregnancy (assuming she gets pregnant, of course) by putting Calleigh into a new and interesting situation that is related to work. There are countless ways to have her in the lab, or out of the lab, that would allow them to hide a growing belly (and explain an absence during the actress's maternity leave) - what they did with Dani Reese on "Life" comes to mind, although I didn't see a good chunk of the second season (basically, she was off working with the FBI or some such - like I said, I didn't see all of the episodes). If I didn't know Sarah Shahi was pregnant, I probably wouldn't have figured it out from the show itself.

Having Calleigh out of the field would allow them to work around Emily's pregnancy, and it would also give a character like Natalia a chance to step up and have a bigger presence on the CSI side of things while Calleigh's character is in a different capacity (thus sharing the screentime and focus around the cast).

And if Emily wants to jump off buildings and stuff, they can do that at the beginning of the season before she gets pregnant. ;) (I'm assuming she will because I'm crossing my fingers for her. :))

6. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Couldn't agree more with you!

I'm really happy for an Emily's pregnancy possibility. I really am since I know she has always wanted a family. Even if it's not a really wedding, I don't care because if she's happy, I'm happy for her.
    So, at this point, I really can't wait for her to announce her pregancy. Till that moment I'll be waiting ;)

As for Calleigh's pregnancy, I'll always say NO, NO and NO way!!
    Even if written very well (something I really doubt, knowing TPTB), Calleigh's pregnancy can really ruin both CSI:Miami and CSI:Franchise.
    That would be the worst way possible to twist both the show and the character.

I mean they already made this kind of mistake with D/L in CSI:NY. I really don't want to see Calleigh delivering her baby in the firearms lab with Delko holding her hand :rolleyes:.

My personal idea of Calleigh is the one of a person who has never wanted anything to do with kids since, at first, she was really way too focused on her job. But she had lots of bad and good experiences which, surely, made her change her mind. She loves kids, there's no way to deny it. What about "Back stabbers" when she was talking with the poor victim's daughter? It was a really cute moment and the fact she stayed there for the rest of the day just to listen to what that poor child had to say really melt me.
    It was just way too cute, but, honestly, I can't picture Calleigh putting family first, at the moment.

I know she's in love with Eric, but definetly it's too soon for them to have a child (even if it were a "mistake") since they still have to solve some problems like the trust one. Surely, it's not the best moment for Calleigh to have a child. Can I picture little E/C babies? OFC, but not now.

Also, Calleigh's pregancy would be very very risky both for the mother and the child. FFs come to my mind with that possibility. Calleigh always gets shot or stabbed or hurt while expecting the baby and both her and the baby's fate are at risk. No, thank you, I don't want to see another FF on tv. They already did it with "Smoke Gets in Your CSI" with the whole "I thought it was dream" stuff. I'm done with it.

Not to mention that the whole CSI:Franchise has lost its really essence.
    I mean while CSI:LV was all about the crime and gruesome details (also with CSIs throwing up because they were too horrible), CSI:Miami had weird crimes with a very talented team and yeah there was team spirit and everyone had their problem, but no one dared to make them interfere with investigation.
    Now, Calleigh's pregnacy would only interefer with too many things. No, thank you, I don't want it.

There are so many ways to hide her pregnancy (just put her behind a desk!) with the possibility for the actress to be still part of the cast.
    AJ's pregnancy comes to my mind. They had the really brilliant idea to make JJ pregnant and the daddy was a person outside the buro. OFC putting Calleigh with Eric made this chance...impossible.

So yeah I really would prefer to see Calleigh also leaving the lab for a while because of so many possible reasons.
    She could be put in jail b/c of a crime she never committed while the team is investigaing on it (oh yeah it easilcy could be the famous big storyline for CSI:Miami), she can easily go back to Lousiana because her father is dying *cough* oh god!! TPTB, please don't read this part, I'm sorry *cough* or she can easily be UC. They did it with Yelina. They decided to put her UC so that they didn't always have to work with Sofia Milos.

They can play a lot with Calleigh's character while Emily is on maternity leave.
    I'd also rather see Emily out of the cast for a year, but I don't want Calleigh's pregancy on the show. If I had wanted it, I would have watched a completely different show like Private Practice with the best neonatal surgeron of the world.
    IMHO, you can't have a pregnancy on a crime drama!
    For god's sake this is CSI we're talking about! They already made this mistake. TPTB do you know that there's a motto which says "learn from your mistakes"? Please study it, it can be really helpful :lol:

As for Calleigh jumping off a building, please make Emily do it before the pregnancy :p

7. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I wish Emily the best of luck,but her pregnancy does not need to be part of CSI:Miami.Emily's pregnancy(when or if it happens) would be the perfect time to allow other characters more of a story arc or more time in the field,shift the focus just a bit.This may also allow for more team interaction among the other characters and team unity, which in my opinion is more important than a pregnancy storyline.
    Truely,not having the pregnancy as part of the show allows for so much more positive things for the show.
    The pregnancy can be hidden,the character could go on vacation for a while,conferences any number of things.Calleigh can still be part of the team while doing other related CSI work.

Florry, you make some really great points.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  8. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

I wish Emily all the best in her desire to have a baby, but I just can't see Calleigh pregnant on the show yet. I was afraid this would happen once they wrote in Anna's pregnancy on NY. If her character and Eric had a longer relationship as a couple it might seem more natural but right now seems a bit rushed. They aren't even out of the closet yet, unless you want to call her panic in the season finale being their way of exposing the relationship. There's also the image it creates for the franchise as a whole if now that they have done it on one show they carry that theme throughtout all of them. Makes it appear like a cheap trick to get ratings and a disregard for the unique flavor and make up of each show.

What I do like is Emily's persistence in asking for things. She doesn't seem afraid to ask for what she wants.

9. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Yeah I like that too. Finally, it seems she's getting more and more awere of the importance of her character for the show. Not to mention that I do think it's a good way for her to get a little bit of promotion, even if, quite frankly, it's not the best way to do it.

I mean ok I'm the first one who wants to see Emily's kids, I'm the first one who wants some promotion for an actress like her, but insisting for her character to have a baby on a show like CSI:Miami is a little bit too much.
    I truely hope that this time TPTB won't listen to her b/c yeah that would be a huge mistake.

You know, I was thinking a about this a while ago: what if TPTB wanted to get Calleigh pregnant even before this statement from Emily? I mean what fi they wanted to get all of us a surprise, even if they perfectly know it's going to be a CSI:NY copycat?
    In this case, I really do think that Emily's statement destroyed their plans. I mean there's no way they're gonna surprise us with Calleigh's pregnancy, at the moment. That's exactly what I'm expecting from TPTB.

The real surprise, at this point, would be not to get Calleigh pregnant...something which is completely against TPTB's plan (at least following the theory I was having a while ago) ;)

Even if do love her, I rieally wish TPTB won't listen to her, at all :p

greatfan thanks :D

10. Princess_Laurie

Princess_Laurie Witness

I wish Emily the best of luck, I'm sure she'll make a fantastic mother. :)

However, I do have to say that writing a pregnancy into the show wouldn't be wise. It would mostly likely end up very similar to the D/L storyline in NY, and I don't believe many fans were pleased by how that turned out. Eric and Calleigh having a baby at this time would be rather disastrous for the show, and would probably leave me debating whether or not to keep watching Miami.

I am very happy for Emily, and I hope it happens, but please, keep it out of the show.

11. Orla_Dark

Orla_Dark CSI Level Two

I'm happy for Emily with her decision and wish her luck.

About the show: NOOOOOO, tptb don't dare do it! Not now, you see that whole EC storyline didn't help show and ec babys don't help you! :scream:

12. csifann1

csifann1 CSI Level Two

I'm very very very very happy for Emily, she'll be a great a mom :D

But, even if I'm a E/C shipper, IDK, but I'd gove anything for TPTB don't listen to Emily [sorry dear :p]. It'd be a huge mistake for the show, IDK how to explain it, though it would be like a copy of NY, I just can't picture it in Miami. I can see E/C babies, oh yeah :adore: But, it's hard to imagine Calleigh pregnant.

Anyways, I've to say that I'm sooo happy for Emily :D

13. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Let's face it!!! The only thing Calleigh can do is to adopt a kid in a very very distant future :p

14. electra

electra Pathologist

I think that Danny and Lindsay baby storyline from NY has almost all of us united in the feeling that this would not end up well if it's done.I have seen fans from other shows that don't even want their ships to go canon in the fear that they will become like them!!

On the other hand,it will not be easy to see less of Calleigh or even not seeing her at all so whatever happens,i want to see my favorite bullet girl on screen often.If she takes a maternity leave,hope it will be short.

15. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Well it's not my biggest fear, but I do think that almost all of us are scared by this kind of possibility.

Let's not deny that it was probably the first time ever (correct me if I'm wrong, but I really can't find any other situation like this) when two members of a team in a crime drama got married and had a child. Not to mention that, once, the man cheated on the fiance (don't know what the reason was and I do not care).
    And, please, let's not forget that it was all due to an actress' pregnancy ;)

So yeah this kind of fear will always remain even outside from this kind of show. They twisted the really essence of the whole CSI:Franchise and there's no way to get back since also CSI:Miami tends to copy them ;)

As much as I love Emily and as much I can't get over Calleigh's scenes, I do think that Emily's pregnancy could be a great opportunity for TPTB to rebuild the solid team spirit, which has crumbled in the years.

I know that I'll sound selfish and all, but since Emily's pregnancy will mean maternity leave (even if short), this stuff could lead TPTB to so many interesting storylines for anyone among the cast so that everyone will be happy.
    I don't want Emily to leave the show forever, all I'm saying is that she can easily have her maternity leave for a while (I don't want it to be too long :() and TPTB can play her pregnancy in a good way with very interesting storylines (even in the ways I mentioned before, as long they dont' include Calleigh's pregnancy).
    Once Emily is fine and can come back, well I'll be the first one to hug her and Calleigh with a huge smile on my face :D

TPTB wants high ratings? Well, surely, Emily pregnant playing a.....oh yeah....a pregnant Calleigh won't help them, at all. And not just because of the whole CSI:NY stuff. It would just make the whole CSI:Franchise crumble.

Sorry, Emily, but please TPTB don't listen to the "mad woman" :lol::p