Mac Is TOO DAMN INSUFFERABLE!

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by ACW1129, May 15, 2009.

1. ACW1129

ACW1129 Police Officer

So freaking self-righteous. I was watching the finale, when Mac was going off on Dunbrook (near the beginning), and I was actually cheering for Dunbrook. Mac REALLY needs to tone it down.
    :scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream:

2. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I haven't seen the finale yet, but I gotta say...Mac has been grating on my nerves a lot lately. Is it just me, or has he been especially self-righteous lately?

3. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

Mac has bothered me in the past, but honestly I thought he was fine in the finale. His anger was justified...he was bent on trying to figure out who kidnapped Connor and killed a cop, and his prime suspect was standing in front of him dishing it right back. It was one of the few times this season when I thought Mac was actually in the right....

4. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I agree. Mac was more than justified and I thought he held back compared to how he's gone off on his tangents in the past.

5. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

Every character has a flaw, and that is his....

I hate it when characters are too perfect, that is a huge downfall of american shows.

6. Fruitbat

Fruitbat CSI Level Two

See I thought the same and that was the whole point of the scene the killers had set it up to look like Dunbrook as a smoke screen. Mac had just processed a scene where a cop a friend was gunned down I thought the scene worked very well and his anger came across as genuine.

7. Plenilunio

Plenilunio Lab Technician

I agree with you, guys. Mac can be a self-righteous asshole sometimes, but in the finale I thought he was justified. He was already trying to hold himself back and Dunbrook wasn't exactly nice when he approached the crime scene. Mac was actually quite calm. I wouldn't have expected him to smile at Dunbrook and say "Oh, my dear friend! Come sit here with me and let's talk. Can I fetch you some coffee? Linden tea, maybe?"

8. FlackFan01

FlackFan01 Police Officer

Let me jump on the bandwagon, too. Yes, he has been a bit....self-righteous lately (and Gary does a great job bringing that to the screen!). But, when a cop is taken down, esp. in the line of duty, you better not be in their way. I have seen a big city go through that too many times in the last 3 years or so. Cops don't take it lightly when one of their own is murdered. I think Mac had it right "...we always get our man". I think he was in the right to say that, and he didn't seem self-righteous in the finale (yes, I watched it this morning after promising I would wait till the weekend - gotta watch it again, tho!).

I truly hope that this incident helps Mac have a change of attitude. I really do.

9. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

It works better when they get pulled up on it from time to time though, and Mac never really seems to. That said I didn't think he was too bad in the finale, he has been a lot worse.

10. EngleBarn

EngleBarn Rookie

He vvas much vvorse in the past, present and murder episode, I hated him in that episode, most of the time.

In this episode I vvas actually happy about that scene, it shovvs a little about hovv Mac deals vvith the vvhole thing you knovv.

11. meggzie

meggzie Police Officer

i gotta admit mac has always been a little bit like that but this season i think he has gone overboard and he's gone soft. but only on "certain" people.
    come on writers wot is happening to the mac we all knew and loved ?

12. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Insufferable as he can certainly be, I definitely didn't find Mac out of line in the finale. I thought his reaction was measured and toned down from what it has been in episodes like "The Past, Present and Murder," in which he was truly over the top. It was nice to see him toned down for this, since grandstanding totally would have detracted from the story IMO.

13. symbeline

symbeline Witness

Mac is the reason I stopped watching CSI:NY after a dozen of episodes of Season 1. I tolerated him in the pilot and even in the second crossover, but everytime I thought about reprising the show, I remembered how frustrated I was with this character and eventually gave up until very recently.

I'm glad I decided to watch the show again for a lot of reasons *cough*Danny*cough*Flack*cough* and I'm glad I gave Mac and Gary Sinise a second chance. He stills gets on my nerves a bunch of times every season but he is slowly learning not to be so self-righteous for no reason.

I liked him in the finale, his anger was justified and he was even more subdued than usual. It was a wise decision and made more sense to balance the angry moments between him and Flack.

14. fm62

fm62 Prime Suspect

Mac is too damned insufferable as a character and it irks me something awful that he is apparently in charge of the whole NYPD. I'm always on Sinclair's side during their battle of wits.

He did tone it back a bit this last episode, allowing mainly Flack but also Danny to get some airtime. I was impressed Danny eventually got to support Don instead of Mac / Stella having to command that role.

Though they kind of put a dent in it by having Stella say that Mac had done Angel proud and Mac having to point out that they all had. That fact goes without saying, and really it should have been left alone.

Mac would certainly be a stronger character if he had to eat humble pie on occasion.

15. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

See I love that line. I agree with that totally.

I love Mac. But yes, this season he has been insufferable and at times just oblivious to things he should care about.

For a while in season three and into season 4 he got cocky. He was trying to deal with Clay Dobson's death and his and Peyton's relationship. Things he couldn't balance so he became ... how shall I say this.... oblivious to what was going on around him. More into himself than he should thus... the insufferable-ness. :lol:

But in Yahrziet he seemed very calm and at ease with the racist suspect. His anger was contained until he unleashed it upon Claus Braun.

In the finale his anger was justified and so were his feelings. I think it hits him hard when a cop dies.