CSI: NY Season 5 Spoiler Discussion--Drama in Alphabet City!

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carminelove15

carminelove15 Rookie

Thanks Fay for the info it sounds like a good action scene.

2. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

Look. I just don't see it happening. I do see it as spin. I do think it will be about Mac and Stella's friendship, and possibly more about Mac supporting her, given that the whole Greek storyline's been her thing, and even moreso if revealing more about her past comes into play.

I do like what Gary and Melina and the writers have crafted together for Mac and Stella over the past five years. I'd rather just see even more of it than see it compromised.

I have a different take on S1 even, I don't even agree that was laying foundations for a Mac/Stella pairing down the road. ;) Flirting, like conflict, means interesting dynamics between characters. It's a tool for the show, and I'd have expected it to be present as a way to hash out what the real dynamics of relationships are on a brand new series, especially where the two leads are two strong, independent male and female characters. It's frission and a way to keep things interesting, establilshes personalities, temperments, humour, boundaries, give and take. Zuiker himself at the time even relayed it as a part of the humour in the way people cope with the Job. That it was anything more than that is subjective at best, and to each their own interpretations.

I have been badgering TPTB for more depth and complexity for the characters, and insights into characters' personal lives is something I appreciate, but that sort of thing needs to not only be balanced but nuanced as well, or the show will completely lose it's foundation. It's not a soap. What I really hope to see is how doing the work they do affects them personally, and how they cope. And while having a significant other is part of that, it's not the only way to demonstrate that people have lives outside the work that they do.

(I'm not picking on anyone here Cath, it's just that you've encapsulated things so nicely to respond to, ;))
    Thank you. Yes. Even chemistry is subjective, and we have no idea what the context is and if it truly will be in terms of interpersonal heat. And even if it is, it does not mean either character will choose to do anything about the 'discovery' of it. Everyone's getting way ahead of themselves here.

Gotta disagree here, I do think it's soapish. Very much so. The show is a bit of a microcosm, it has a deliberate focus and a framework that means when similairites abound they are more noticeable; having everybody hooking up stretches the graces of the framework because of that ratio and focus. The airtime is finite. Tuning in week after week to watch non-case time being reduced to aspects of one romance after another playing themselves out means the show starts to lose focus and rely on a different kind of momentum. Bubbles abound.

Beg to differ. In fact, this leads me to my main bone of contention within all of this.

The biggest problem I would have with another pairing of main canon characters is because it would be just that, a pairing of main canon characters. It did Danny and Lindsay no favours, it did the show no favours, and it's a legacy we're stuck with now due to how far it's been pushed this season.

I have fewer issues with romantic relationships where they are between a main and a recurring character, or even only mentioned (IE. Sid's family). While Angell has evolved beyond a minor role, she's recurring because she's not in every episode, I don't expect to see her in every episode. S3 Mac and Peyton weren't in your face every single episode. S4 Danny and Rikki weren't in every episode. Hell, even Adam flirting with Kendall was very sporadic at best. Mac and Quinn had a few scenes together that revealed something about them past and present and then wrapped itself up. S5 We've barely seen Brandon but we know Stella's got a life outside the labs from his ever so brief if bland appearances; Flack and Angell aren't in every episode, though for sure they'll ramp things up as things gear for the finale. And while I would love S6 to see Sheldon get some lovin' as a way to devote some time and attention to his character, one of the first things I said was that it doesn't hafta necessarily be something we'd see on an ongoing basis. Recurring gives space and options and no obligations.

Danny and Lindsay are "mains," and there have been next to no storylines that have not attached one to one another. Even with Lindsay gone we're still subjected to Danny and Lindsay's relationship. They're just always there.

Pairing up main canon characters by default means that their relationship is somehow always present, whether directly addressed or not. It's too much. Or, it's proven too much for TPTB to manage well.

^ Thanks for the filming notice. Sounds like long day for the crew :lol: But fun.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  3. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

But isn't that why we discuss spoilers? :p

4. ErinElizabeth

ErinElizabeth Rookie

Just from my own standpoint, Mac and Stella dating would be weird. It's kinda like finding out your single dad is dating your aunt (from your mom's side obviously :lol:). Or the neighbor who you've known forever who is like your "special aunt".

It would just weird me out to see them as a couple. I can't think of a better way to explain it.

Plus, there are so many shows out there that have a male and female lead who are partners or best friends and then fall in love. It's predictable and has been done over and over and over and over and over... Hell it's kind of already been done on this show with DL. They're not the main leads but they are in the main cast.

I also like the idea of them just being friends and Stella being his rock. Obviously bonds will form when you work side by side so long but they don't have to be romantic. I always liked that their relationship gave a solid of example of the fact that a man and a woman can be close, can be partners, be best friends but not be romantically involved.

There's another example of a pair like this swimming in my head but I can't fully remember...

5. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

yazza, sure is :lol::p

I shoulda clarified :lol:

> ...everyone was getting way ahead of me, I was finding it way tricky to keep up with the flurry... :lol:

6. carminelove15

carminelove15 Rookie

Thats so true:) Thats why this Thread is called Spoiler Discussion!!

7. Faylinn

If I didn't get a little dramatic over the spoilers every so often, I'd feel like something was missing. :p

Plus, if I freak out and/or expect the worst, they always have a chance to surprise me in a good way. :p :p :p

8. OldGuise

OldGuise Hit and Run

I sincerely hope these "sparks" don't lead to romance. I think it would be pretty unprofessional for Stella and Mac to start dating. I mean, Danny and Lindsay are already way past unprofessional in my book - seriously; they're married and they work together in a crime lab - so I don't want Mac and Stella to get that way, too.

And anyway, why can't two people of the opposite sex be close friends without dating? I've been managing to do that since I was fourteen; I'm sure they can, too. :p

9. Jessica6

Jessica6 Police Officer

^ You wanna enlighten me as to just how, exactly you've managed to do that? :lol:
    ...meh, I really hope Mac and Stella dont get together. THAT would be over-kill. Their close friendship is what I love. I'd hate them in a relationship.

10. Faylinn

Random note: Jessica, your avatar makes me happy. ^_^

11. jwells2472

jwells2472 Witness

"What they have is a history that involves trust, friendship, hardship, loyalty, grief and honor."
    Hmm that sounds like a "couple" that have lasted along time and are in what can honestly be called love! The kind of thing everyone hopes for and aspires too with their relationships. Doesn't sound like a wrong turn from TPTB at all...

12. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

On the contrary IF they get together (at this point i think any can happen) i will enjoy from Head to Toe. I wonder why BEFORE anything happens (and nothing was told except we are going to know more about Stella's family and "some sparks" between them) there is such negative tendency instead of wait and see how their story (because they have one either you like them as friends or not) is developed.

Is the negativity cronic here???????????? Because NOBODY gave me a plausible reason. The one i mentioned in the morning.
    Or is hatred an easier emotion?:confused:

I ask this because i do want to know:confused:

Seriously i don't envy at all CSI NY writers and producers because this fandom is impossible. What makes someone happy, makes feel miserable to other people.And even before a story is developed, there is a waterfall of critics:confused:

I am happy whatever they decide to give to Mac and Stella. Why? Because their closeness and their solid relationship was established from the beginning. THE PILOT episode. They are the best friends in the world yeah but if you are a woman, would you marry anyone else who weren't your best friend?
    Would you marry David if you best (male) friend is Charlie? Certainly i would pick Charlie and i would drag him to the very first church i could find
    ;)

As i always say your love must be your best friend. Who could know you better than him? who could know better your flaws and love you despite of them? who would do anything for you? (even go across half world to be with you) It must be someone very special, someone who really loves you

Just do me a favour, Could you just wait until 5.24 to say " i will hate them"?????
    Please:bolian:

Debbs

13. Fruitbat

Fruitbat CSI Level Two

Okay I thought I would weigh in on this one. Mac and Stella..*sigh* Lets see if I can get across what I mean/think/feel about these two.

From the outset I was intrigued by the two characters and the relationship between them.. I loved the friendship, the concern, the care they took of each other. Do I ship them...to be honest yes.. Do I want to see them together on the show...no...well at least not anytime soon ;)

I think hinting at something, all be it a connection, possible feelings, attraction, works far better than dumping two characters together. Throwing two people together, just to make a couple...Where is the intrigue, the suspense, the spark in that?

I hope something happens in the Greek ep. But what I am hoping for is a tease, a hint that there is something there, that one of them or both of them could feel something stronger than friendship, a possible glimpse of what could be.

I want to be kept guessing, to be teased, to be left hoping ...and hopeful.:) Do you get what I mean????

Hell look at xfiles they managed to keep fans guessing and happy for years, without actually heading headlong down that road till near the end of the show.

I will take my Mac Stella moments of:- friendship, arguing, support or just plain working well together and be happy. Because looking at what they have done to other characters I like, I don't want them screwing Mac and Stella over just for the sake of getting them together. Plus adding a Mac Stella dynamic now, with all the other relationship OVERLOAD going on, would just be crass and OTT in my opinion.

So I am looking forward to the Greek ep, I love my Mac Stella moments... and if they give me a little squeeeee moment in there as well I will be a happy bunny..:D:D:D

I was going to delete this but changed my mind..You know I think this is possibly the longest post I have ever made on this board in 4 years..:lol: I am off to bed this time..honest..:)

14. Jessica6

Jessica6 Police Officer

...I just thought the Sheldon love needed to be spread around. :)

Yeah, I think the hint at what MAY come, is always good. I love long drawn out relationships...where nothing may never happen, but you always think that it might. That to me, is perfect Mac and Stella.

15. Faylinn

It's always nice to see more love for the good doctor. :adore:

By the way, I guess the man who communicates by blinking is in a different episode. There must have been a bit of a mix-up about when the episode airs. I'm still interested to see how that goes...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.