The 30 and Over Club

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by CSI_Kat, Aug 21, 2008.

1. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

OK, here's my 30 and over moment for the day...

I was walking home a little while ago and I noticed they have a bunch of blocks closed off for some movie being shot. That in itself is not unusual for Vancouver. Anyway, I asked one of the crew what they were filming as I was strolling by, and he said "Tron". And I was all astounded, "They're doing a remake of Tron?!!" Wow! The guy replied that he didn't know if it was a remake or a continuation, and then asked me if I remembered the original Disney film and I said, "of course!" :lol:

2. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

The big question should be, "What HAVEN't they remade?" TV has 90210, Dr Who, Battlestar Gallactica, and Knight Rider. Movies had Starsky and Hutch, I Spy, Planet of the Apes, Time Machine, Wild Wild West, Bewitched, Mission: Impossible. Have they run out of ideas in Hollyweird?

3. CoachMom

CoachMom CSI Level One

We musn't forget the horrendous remake of Dukes of Hazard with Daisy Duke as a blonde (by Jessica Simpson noe the less:(- where's the barfing icon when you need it?

4. BabaOReilly

Yeah, let's hope the new Tron is a little better than the attempt they made at Speed Racer... :wtf:

Again, it will probably be better if it's a continuation as opposed to a full on remake.

Next up, Labyrinth and Dark Crystal? :lol:

Oh, and I saw a movie trailer for "Where the Wild Things Are" and it looks really cool! That book's been around since I was a kid, so I'm keen to see how it's handled... but the trailer does look pretty groovy. We'll see if the whole movie turns out that way.

5. Nightrider

Nightrider Witness

As long as they don't touch "2001: A Space Odyssey" and "A Clockwork Orange," I'm good. Hollyhood would completely miss the point of both. Their IQs aren't high enough to ride that ride!

6. twiztid4togo

twiztid4togo Coroner

I love
    Sixteen Candles
    The Breakfast Club
    Pretty In Pink

but my favorite is St. Elmo's fire. I've seen these movies so many times it's not even funny.

I wasn't a big Molly Ringwald fan, she bothered me for some reason. I loved Ally Sheedy and Judd Nelson and Andrew McCarthy and the rest of the Brat Pack. It's nice to see those actors pop up on the csi shows. It's also nice to see that a few of those actors careers are still going strong.

7. BabaOReilly

I'd heard recently that they were planning a sequel to Sixteen Candles... a sort of "how did they all end up/what are they doing today" sort of movie, but I don't know what happened to it. I'd love to get a look at Michael Schoeffling (Jake Ryan) these days! :lol:

8. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Hi guys & gals!! **waves** It's been a long while since I've been here.
    A friend sent me this funny little e-mail today & I thought I'd share :p

THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!
    ( If you are 30 or older you will think this is hilarious!!!! )

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears
    with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking Twenty-five miles to school every morning
    Uphill... barefoot...
    BOTH ways
    Yadda, yadda, yadda
    And I remember promising myself that when I grew up,
    there was no way in hell I was going to lay
    a bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it
    and how easy they've got it!
    But now that... I'm over the ripe old age of
    thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.
    You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my
    childhood, you live in a damn Utopia!
    And I hate to say it but you kids today you
    don't know how good you've got it!
    I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we wanted to know something, We had to go to the damn library and
    look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!!
    There was no email!! We had to actually write
    somebody a letter, with a pen!
    Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take like a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents!
    Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our ass! No where was safe!
    There were no MP3' s or Napsters! You wanted to
    steal music, you had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself!
    Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ'd usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up!
    There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car. We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished and the tape would come undone. cause that's how we rolled dig?
    We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you
    were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!
    And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either!
    When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your Bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!!
    You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!
    We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video
    games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600!
    With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!!
    And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen
    forever!
    And you could never win. The game just kept getting
    harder and harder and
    faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was
    on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel!
    There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons
    on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?!
    We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled
    little rat-bastards!
    And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat
    something up we had to use the stove ... Imagine that!
    That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids
    today have got it too easy.
    You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted
    five minutes back in 1980 or before!

Regards,
    The over 30 Crowd

9. BabaOReilly

I gotta admit, I'm almost 40, but I don't remember a time when we didn't have some sort of remote control. And we had some funky looking ones! :lol:

You know what I remember as the best part of childhood? Just running around outside with my friends- everywhere and anywhere. And we were playing outside most of the time for real, not just heading to someone else's place to play video games or whatever. I miss the aimless outdoor fun the most, I think.

10. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

You didn't take your phone with you. There probably was only one in the home and had to share it with the rest of the family. Or if you were on a party line, you had to share the line with several neighbors.

Yahoo? Google? You had the encyclopedia or dictionary.

TV shows were in black and white. Or if color was just coming out, a baseball game had green faced men on a pink field.

200 channels? Try three to five. cable or satellite? Maybe a rooftop antenna or rabbit ears on the set.

Before the Atari and Pong, there was chess, checkers, Monopoly, yoyos, slinky, and hula hoops.

You didn't drag playing cards with a mouse. Solitaire was played with pieces of cardstock that were frayed around the edges.

Fast food? You went to the Automat, a large restaurant that had a huge wall of small windows, each one with its own coin slot. Put in the necessary amount (exact change only), and open the door for your sandwich, slice of pie, or whatever.

CSIFiles message board? Nope. Your favorite show was discussed in the school hallway or yard, or at the office water cooler.

11. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

I remember not having the remote control! My mom set up a yardstick on the livingroom floor (this was back in the days when we only had 1 tv! :eek:) and unless you were changing channels you had to stay behind the yardstick. :lol:

I do miss running around outside all the time. (You can't do that with kids these days, you gotta be there to keep an eye on them) we used to go outside on Friday nights once it started getting dark and play hide-and-seek in the dark. Me, my brother, and the neighbors 4 kids anywhere on our acre and their 8 acres was fair game for hiding. The tree next to their house was safe. You haven't played hide-and-seek until you've played it in the dark. :thumbsup:

Susan

12. BabaOReilly

Oh yeah, we totally did that too! And we played the "kick the can" version as well with a white volleball (so you could see it in the dark). MAN those were good times! It's sort of like those Diet Pepsi commercials where people talk about what else from their childhood they miss- recess, slumber parties... they're hilarious! :lol:

13. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Wow, I came into this thread and thought for a second I was in a Shipper Talk section..I thought this was for 30 and over..:rolleyes:

Yeah I like the one where the guy in his forties does his hair up in a Flock of Seagulls style..it was hillarious!

14. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

myfuturecsi I don't think this comment was called for. We moved on from any shipper talk that was briefly mentioned here. If you have a problem with the way this discussion was going you can pm me instead of using sarcastic comments in the forum.

I had some good reminiscence reading that poem :)

The tv channel changing was one of them. I don't remember channel surfing for myself but my dad sure made use of us kids :lol: I don't remember when we got it but at some point we had a converter and I'm surprised we didn't wear it out pushing all the buttons while changing channels :lol:

We had a great time playing in the streets growing up. You don't see it anymore. Heck the city of Toronto won't let the kids play street hockey anymore :brickwall: What neighbourhood didn't grow up with the shout of 'CARS'

I really feel sorry for the kids today that can't experience the freedom that we had. Heck most kids don't walk to school by themselves anymore. They are either driven or walked.

15. BabaOReilly

You can't play street hockey in T.O.? HOME OF THE MAPLE LEAFS?!!! That's just crazy. What would Mike Meyers think? And how would they police that, exactly? Do they drive down all the side neighbourhoods and tell the kids to scram? Craziness. How can you go through childhood without at least once calling out, "Game on!" once the cars have cleared? :lol: