Your Thoughts on the upcoming Danny/Lindsay development (SPOILERS!!!)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 12, 2008.

?

Is a D/L baby a good thing for CSI: NY?

1. Yes

89 vote(s)
    41.6%
  2. No

84 vote(s)
    39.3%
  3. I'm not sure yet

40 vote(s)
    18.7%
  4. No opinion

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. luxmissus

luxmissus Civilian

Re: Your Thoughts on the upcoming Danny/Lindsay development (SPOILERS!

momentarily de-lurking from behind the potted plants...

Whoa, Lindsay hate. I used to feel that, but now I actually have grown to appreciate Lindsay and to like her and to look forward to her scenes, with or without Danny. And Danny? is hands down my favorite character on CSI:NY. He's second only to Hodges (oh be still my heart! :adore:) as my favorite character in all of the CSI series.

That said, I'm with many on this thread who have a feeling for foreboding -- I can't see the marriage/the relationship/ the whole baby thing working out. There is too much disconnect and difficulty between the characters Lindsay and Danny as much as I love them both. Obviously tbtp are writing the characters that way and they wouldn't write them that way and have them end well, would they?

To me tptb are sending clear signals that this relationship is in trouble and a baby isn't going to make it better. I'm a shipper at heart so I'm actually kinda bummed.

... back to lurking.

2. Yumi696

Yumi696 Rookie

For DL lovers and haters and those in between, the fact that they decided to include a pregnancy is still foreboding news. Unless they can take the baby to work (which is a total NO because of all the chemicals in the lab, etc. etc.), then I fail to see how they'll take care of the baby. They could hire babysitters, but they've probably seen too much in their work to trust strangers with their baby. And honestly, you barely see them have friends outside of the workplace. -sigh-

3. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

Maybe Danny's mom will want to babysit or something... it's hard to say.

4. Isla

Isla Prime Suspect

Or uncle cough*whathappenedtohim*cough Louie:D

5. Robin

Robin Prime Suspect

Danny and Lindsay just seem to have the weirdest most disconnected relationship on television. Really... she send him a text message to let him know the baby is a girl? He isn't even upset that she went for the ultrasound without him? He's coming up with all these names and not even getting her input on them. She's on vacation with her family without him in the last few weeks where they should be enjoying each other as a couple before the baby comes. Come to think of it... has he ever even met her mom? Has she ever met any of his family? Just so weird.

6. fm62

fm62 Prime Suspect

She's on her honeymoon, as they're not being traditional :rolleyes:, she didn't bother taking hubby with her.

7. Robin

Robin Prime Suspect

Hmmm... I never thought of it that way... :lol:

8. meggzie

meggzie Police Officer

i think their relationship is rubbish, they dont even seem like they have one most of the time. nobody knows whether their together or not.
    its clear they dont love each other and they are just getting married for the baby . i used to like them in like season 2 and then lindsay just got all whiney and annoying and i honestly couldnt ever see danny falling for a girl like her.

9. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

It is possible Danny met her parents when he flew out to Montana when she was testifying in season three... we have no idea what they did after they left the courthouse. As far as him not going on the trip, she did plan it and all before she knew they would be getting married (also the writers I'm sure see no reason Carmine can't be on the show while Anna is on maternity leave).

10. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

We can only deal with what's been done and said on the show. If there's been no mention of Danny meeting her parents or no scene of him meeting her parents then he hasn't met them.

11. squinn1201

squinn1201 Rookie

I still can't get over Danny being the guy to settle down and be a daddy! He was such a player and now all of a sudden he wants to spend the rest of his life with Lindsay and be a daddy. I mean, Eric Delko is now a one woman guy, but he changed after a near death experience and I don't think he was as much of a ladies man as Danny was. I like Danny as a character and would love for this to change his life and "put things into perspective" (as Eric said). It will be interesting how the writers will write the baby into the storyline.

12. PerfectAnomaly

I still don't get how Danny is/was perceived as a "player." He mentioned a girlfriend in one episode and mentioned that he didn't frequent massage parlors because he had girlfriends (and I didn't take that to mean more than one at a time) to satisfy him. Other than that, Danny's been the one to get the female attention - but only in the case of Lindsay did he reciprocate. Any other time a female hit on him or showed interest he shied away from it. Rikki was a different case altogether because they both were acting out of shared grief. And to say that he's more of a "player" than Delko is just mind boggling to me. Since day one Delko has hit on anything with a pulse and has enjoyed the attention any female may pay him. From what's been showed and said on screen Delko is by far the "player" of the two and Danny hasn't been shown to be a "player" at all IMO.

13. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

I guess that's what PV meant when they said they weren't gonna do things conventionally. For me, the writing of the marriage was odd (for several reasons) but what I mean to get at here is that Danny knew Lindsay was about to head home, and very much put her on the spot by dragging her down to the courthouse on false pretenses to spring a second proposal on her. They did cave to the saccharine route, complete with freakin DL montage vid and voiceover.

In a way, it might have been far more interesting if she'd repeated turning him down until they'd both become 'the people they know they can be.' What have we got now but Messer moping around and staring at his ring and endless phone calls from Lindsay and more 'cutesy' crap in looking at baby names. Hardly edgy, unconventional stuff.

Yeah, it does seem to fall into the category of not being shown stuff between them but being left to infer anything meaty and pertinent about their relationship. In other words, we're left to question just about everything.

See above about the trip. Something TPTB had to write in anyways for Anna to break from production. Lindsay going home to see her folks isn't a big deal. It was the $25 wedding right before it that had me rolling my eyes. And there's no way they wouldn't have Carmine on the show while Anna's away, but unfortunately they've continued to impose DL onto his character even when she's not around. The guy just can't catch a break, and we're still being force-fed how profound and deep DL is.

I completely agree. I never saw Danny as a player, though in a way I see him as a guy who wouldn't mind (or care) if anyone perceived him that way. Speculation, I know. I think a lot of the dynamic between Danny and Aiden way back was fun precisely because there was next to no shot in hell of anything coming from it. It was a safe exchange that didn't cost anyone, and something the show could play with, without losing focus on the work. Didn't make him a player any more than a Suicide Girl or any other woman flirting with him did. And Rikki wasn't about chasing and getting a woman, it derived directly from the intensity of emotions shared between them because of Reuben's death. It was a band-aid. If anything, Lindsay was always the one chasing him in the most direct and unapologetic way (and no one accuses her of anything at all).

A pairing like Flack and Angell differs somewhat because their flirting felt like it stemmed from a similar dynamic that Danny and Aiden had shared but minus the safety net of 'never gonna happen;' it was suddenly full of fun possibilities in watching them dabble with crossing that line, and wondering what would happen if they ever did. The wondering was half the fun, honestly. I hope they're handled well from here on out. Danny and Lindsay never had the same kind of chemistry or any kind of dynamic spirit, IMO, but are rather forced when together. FA wasn't even on the radar at the time, and TPTB might have thought it would be cute to have Danny Messer getting together with someone, finally.

If there's any interest in Danny becoming a father, for me it stems from his own family, from being a younger brother but still trying to look after Louie, from feeling responsible for Reuben, and that sort of thing. At least, I hope some of that might inform how it's portrayed, and that whatever we're subjected to with regards to the storyline doesn't simply stem from 'working cops in the city struggling to balance work and home lives.' (I would say I hope Lindsay as a mother might also be informed by her own issues from her childhood trauma, but I really just don't wanna see Anna hafta reach that far).

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  14. PerfectAnomaly

And there lies one of the main problems with the story line. TPTB drop story lines like a hot potato and don't ever bring them up again. Of course Danny should be worrying about fatherhood because of what happened to Ruben. But TPTB decided that story line was "over" so we never see any lasting affects. Same with Lindsay's dark secret. The second the verdict was read in Montana all of her issues with her friends being killed and her being the sole survivor got locked away with Daniel Katums. Last week Louie was mentioned and there was no indication that RSRD ever happened.

It's very hard to believe in these characters when TPTB don't build on what's happened to them and have it affect/effect future story lines. I don't want to see "two cops struggle with new baby and work" either. I want to see Danny and Lindsay struggle with their issues while struggling with being newlyweds and new parents.

15. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

I think that's one of the things that really drives me nuts. That they're consistent in being inconsistent with the characters. Something else that gets to me is the blatant imposed use of them to voice or address something (Stella's spiel to Lindsay about chemicals) or be a soapbox (um, Green Piece?) or somehow use them to advance a storyline or even what feels like an agenda sometimes, in a way that grates against the character (Gad luvs DL, Mac sez so; the stances taken in blu flu anyone? Mac not holding Lindsay to the same standards as everyone else? I might even suggest what DL in general has done to Danny, but that's purely IMO).

Show-wise, I would love to be able to somehow trust what we see of the characters, trust that TPTB won't casually disregard five seasons of writing to serve whatever story or purpose comes up at a given time. That things could somehow be more um... integrated, would be a good word, nurtured and respected are others.

With Danny and Lindsay in particular, I agree, I would hope to see them struggle with their issues while grappling with a prototypical storyline. One reflects upon and impacts the other.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009