Grade 'Point of No Return'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Mar 18, 2009.

?

How would you grade Point of No Return?

1. A+

19 vote(s)
    30.2%
  2. A

16 vote(s)
    25.4%
  3. A-

10 vote(s)
    15.9%
  4. B+

8 vote(s)
    12.7%
  5. B

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  6. B-

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  1. racefh853629

racefh853629 Pathologist

I missed Adam. I felt there needed to be more Adam.

It also wasn't as good because I really liked Marty. I'm glad that, in order to remind viewers of him, they showed my absolute favorite line he ever said. But I wish that he didn't end up being a mass-murdering drug dealer. Though I think I give him a little credit for deciding to take humans and turn them into heroin (despite how sick that is).

Throughout the entire episode, I felt for Sid. It's hard finding out someone you care about is something completely different. Also, I felt kinda bad for Marty... he messed up, sure, but he still lost his wife. I don't know, maybe I was only sympathetic because I liked him a lot when he was on the show, but I thought the way the episode played out with him was so well done.

In the end, while I could still dislike Marty for what he'd done, I still shared with Sid's feeling of regret. Though I wish I could read lips better to figure out how many people Marty killed...

B+ episode. It would've been better if Marty hadn't turned out to be bad, and/or if Adam was there. :)

2. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

wow, well done new york, amazing episode....A+. Probably my fave this season.

SID!!! Love him. Was shocked at the end when he showed up, great moment. The old pathologist guy showing up in the eppy was a surprise to. Also didn't know that the greek coin story was going to be on, almost forgot about that storyline. I have a feeling Mac knows more than he was saying.

That is how i interpreted that scene as well, that he is growing past his mistakes.

3. ErinElizabeth

ErinElizabeth Rookie

Wow this episode was awesome!

Oh how I have missed the hotness that is Dr. Pino! Even if he was all dark and tragic this time around. Still schmexy!

Sid gave a great performance as well. He broke my heart but in a... good way? :lol:

And damn the actor who played Pino (his name escapes me) did a helluva job! That end scene when the had the gun to his head and was crying... :(

I love the Danny/Mac convo about Lindsay being so bored she could process a beaver. :lol: And Danny's smile when he talks about her is adorable. Even in the locker room when she called. He was so happy to hear from her. :)

But I also wanted to smack him! You've got a wife and kid to think about mister!

The Greek storyline was interesting but way overshadowed by Pino's story. Plus, that meant I had to see FAILtective. I was tempted to fastforward. But seriously? Who wears a pink flowery sweater to a take down?? ~Fierce~. :rolleyes:

I really did enjoy the episode though. I wish Pino had stuck around longer than just a few eps in season two and then this episode. But it was still fantastic to see him again. I liked that they flashed back to his scenes in Trapped. I think that was the first time we met him, no?

4. EngleBarn

EngleBarn Rookie

I was like OH MY GOD! What did they just do to the Diakos storyline? I was so looking forward to seeing how Stella would kick his ass. Well, I doubt we've seen the last of the storyline, judging by the look on Macs face just after his conversation with Stella, he knows more than he tells her, I think he was hoping for her to show some trust and confes to him. That was kind'a the storyline I was most excited about, I'm a little disappointed actually...

5. csimania19

csimania19 Rookie

marty case was good. greek case was sorta rushed but very interesting.

- danny weirdly glowed when he talked about lindsay. his emo-ness disappeared. guess that's good lol.

- angell is back! YES. press release got it right. but wait, didn't the PR say a former ME got killed? flack said marty's wife was a teacher or something. oh well. doesn't make much of a diff anyway.

- greek storyline like i said felt kinda rushed cuz now diakos is dead. stella and angell= GIRL POWER lol. the shipping thing with kolovos was really funny. "i lied." lol. angell was really good with her thing with kolovos. who wouldn't take the bait? haha.

- the last scene when sid asked marty how many other people he killed was pretty powerful. the scene felt so tensed. it felt like mac, danny and flack were all silenced. it was like sid was going to blow and everybody was anticipating it or something. man, i wish marty wasn't a bad guy.

overall it was a pretty good episode. adam better be back next week. A.

6. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

I'm giving this episode a BIG, fat A+. I'm glad I reserved judgement till I saw this episode.
    See??? I learn from my mistakes. Like the one I made last week when I thought last week's episode was gonna suck lemons so bad it'd get an F from me. I thought that all because of the preview the week before and the commercials for it during the week leading up to it. It surprised me. I remember I gave last week's episode an A. Just to be sure I remembered correctly I just checked my post in the thread for last week's episode and I definitely gave it an A.

I have a couple of world maps hanging here in my bedroom and I found the country of Cyprus where Stella and Angell had Kolovos shipped. Now here's a litte geographical education for any of you who like me want to find the country of Cyrpus on a world map. Cyprus is west-(to the left) of Syria, north of-(above) Egypt and south of-(below) Turkey. To me, it looks like it's closest to Syria. The country Turkey looks to be the 2nd closest to Cyprus. Cyprus is a country/island.

If Tony Amendola-(Professor P) seemed familiar to any of you Stargate SG-1 fans...that's because he played Bra'tac...or as Christopher Judge's Stargate SG-1 character Teal'c referred to him "Master Bra'tac".

And finally...
    In that last scene when Sid was walking away, I wanted to jump through the tv screen, catch Sid and give him a big hug and let him cry on my shoulder if he wanted to. I felt so bad for Sid. I like Sid.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  7. CSI808

CSI808 Rookie

I had to give this episode a B-. I just wasn't into the whole thing. I did get a little excited with the return of Stella and the coins case. I'm excited to see what happens between her and Mac. Of course his spidey-senses started tingling when Stella was leaving. I also felt for Sid when he found out about Marty. I always enjoy Sid in episodes, but I really, really liked him in this one. He did freakin' awesome!

Just one question though... Where in the world do people get cell phones that ring for so long!?!? I swear those things ring FOREVER! I need a phone like that, badly.

8. miss_blue

miss_blue Lab Technician

Wow, I can't remember an episode that was so exciting. I didn't get bored with it, and I think I might want to watch it again. From start to finish, the writers found logic, didn't spoil any characters and I didn't expect that Pino killed all those people to make the heroine. For the first time I graded an episode with A+. Well done writers, well done.

Am I the only one here that doesn't believe that Danny did a stupid thing chasing that suspect? He heard shots coming out from the warehouse, and yet he didn't get in. But when the suspect went out with the gun, after Danny knew that he took a shot at Mac and Don, Danny couldn't know if one of them was hurt or not. What was he supposed to do? Look at Little Stevie running away? Waiting for back up to come? I think he made the right choice. From my point of view it would have been stupid of him not to chase the guy. His only mistake was not being attentive enough when he got in the car. The scene was well done, and even though everybody knew that Danny will be fine after the shooting, it still kept people hoping that he'll be OK.

And then the phone call from Lindsay. Again, I don't think that he done wrong by lying to her. Technically, it's not lying. He just said "same old, same old". Yeah, I'll tell my 8 months pregnant wife that I almost got shot and I killed a dude, that would make her happy.

Too little Sheldon, but at least this week the scenes we got for him were not evidence processing. I liked that he was emotional about the case, but he still had a control on his feelings.

Sid was great. Every scene he had, I almost wanted to reach through the screen and hug him and tell him everything will be fine. Robert Joy is beyond any doubt a great actor, and this episode shows how little Sid they used.

The Greek story line was fine. In the beginning I wasn't sure what to make of it, but tonight it played out very well. On e thing though, how could Stella and Angell arrange the guy being arrested in Cyprus, meaning having him deported, without Mac's knowledge, or someone who is in a higher position than anybody from the lab? Stella wasn't supposed to be involved in the case, but though, I think the logical explanation for this is that she had to pull some strings in order to make the plan work.

One flaw: Where was Adam?

9. Yumi696

Yumi696 Rookie

The only good things I saw about this episode were:
    -the lack of Lindsay
    -the development of Sid's character
    -Angell and Stella beastness

Otherwise, NO. Ugh, I liked Marty, and they turn him into a cocaine-making serial? Why, TPTB, why?

And blood on the ring--total symbolism. I loved that.
    But otherwise... ugh. :(

10. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

A-

I really enjoyed this episode, there seemed to be a really good balance between action and character development. I'm a wee bit perplexed by Marty Pino turning into Sweeney Todd though. :eek:

I thought Sid was great. I love how he couldn't do the PM on Marty's mrs and how the whole episode affected him. My only quibble about it was the final scene. It seemed so contrived having Sid there at the warehouse. It seems once tptb decide that they want to have an episode focus on a particular member of the team they have to force them into a situation where they can be the hero - it just isn't terribly realistic at times.

And no miss blue, you're not the only one who doesn't see Danny as stupid for going after Stevie. He didn't have a choice, at least not one that wouldn't go against all his instincts. I'm pretty sure that Mac or Flack would have done exactly the same thing if it were them. I also agree that it would have been way OOC and inappropriate for Danny to start telling Lindsay on the phone that he just killed a guy and put himself in that sort of situation without protection. She's heavily pregnant and thousands of miles away. :)

Ooh, and I'd just like to wish the Messer wifebeater a warm and much welcome return. I'd missed that guy! I'm pretty sure it's the first appearance of the season and that warrants a mention. Now we just need to lose the wifebeater in some sort of gratuitous locker room scene and I'll be happy (see, I don't mind ALL contrived scenes!).

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  11. Bunchie

Bunchie Dead on Arrival

I loved the episode..action filled and interesting

I loved the danny scene in the warehouse..very intriguing

12. addictedtoSpeed

addictedtoSpeed Judge

I thought so too. I think it's pretty apparent that Mac knows what Stella is doing. Anyways, Mac isn't stupid, he can figure it out. How many times does Stella ask for time off like that? Yea, he knows somethings up and I'm guessing he knows it has to do with the Greek storyline.

13. Isla

Isla Prime Suspect

I liked the episode. Especially for the emotional scenes.

I think Jonah Lotan was amazing. His whole appearance, his sad, empty eyes showed how low he sunk and desperate he was. Accentuated by the flashbacks of funny, shining and carefree Pino. Very disturbing.
    Especially the scene in the morgue seeing his dead wife- wow, not many words, only his facial expression. But I didn´t like the drug making scene. It looked like a cheap splatter movie to me and it made Pino look like a freakin´ cannibal. I thought I was watching Dexter at that moment.
    Pino had to sell drugs, because he needed money? Ok. But drugs made of human organs? And Pino becoming a mass murderer? A bit over the top I think.

Sid was awesome. I could really believe that he cared about Pino and that he was personally shocked about the events. Above all it was Pino and not a ME we would have known at all.

I also agree that it wasn´t stupid of Danny chasing the suspect. Should he have watched the criminal escaping and killing other people? If I hadn´t read the spoilers before I don´t think I would have paid so much attention to it.
    The locker room scene was very powerful. You could really see and feel how shocked Danny was about the events. Much more impressive that he himself recognized that he was almost making his child an orphan instead of Mac being the one who pointed it out. In that moment I believe Danny really recognized for the first time, that he was now responsible for his wife and his unborn child.

I don´t know what to think about the whole Greek storyline. But I totally liked the Stella/professor interaction. Especially the reference to her hair and that we were getting to know more about the young Stella.

I also liked the Flack/Hawkes scene; the different, emotional involvment in the case.

Best line of the epsiode for me was the`members of his fanclub´-line of Flack.

14. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

Was anyone else waiting for Danny to knock his wedding ring down the drain and spend several fruitless, frantic hours trying to get it back?

I enjoyed this episode insofar as I was entertained by it, but I found myself utterly disinterested in anyone except Sid and the deceased Anabel Pino. Sid clearly had a deep attachment to the Pinos, as evinced by his inability to perform Anabel's autopsy and his sudden appearance at the warehouse. I suspect that he held himself at least partially responsible for Anabel's death and Marty's precipitous decline. What if he hadn't introduced Anabel and Marty? What if he'd never fired Marty for falsifying overtime sheets? Maybe Anabel would still be alive. All of that was clearly on his mind when he turned up at the warehouse, as is the question of just how many junkies Marty murdered to make his drugs. That question is never explicitly answered, but Marty's refusal to answer is an answer unto itself. Dozens, perhaps, and Sid was disgusted, heartbroken, and horrified. As he told Mac in the autopsy suite filled with fifteen exhumed bodies. He was my friend. He and Anabel came for dinner every Sunday, and he did all this." It raises the haunting question of how well we know the people in our lives.

Not very well, apparently, because even though Sheldon takes up the mantle of being friends with Marty as well, he doesn't recognize his friend's wife. Danny does, after a bit of reflection, even though he only met her once, but Sheldon, who takes it upon himself to object to Flack's relatively mild interrogation for the nebulous reasons of friendship and compassion, has no clue. All right, then. PTB, thy name is inconsistency.

I don't even want to know how you'd distill heroin from organs. The very idea makes my gorge rise. The end result can't be clean or effective, and the morbid imp that lives in the basement of my brain wonders if it wouldn't smell like liver pate.

Nice ass-covering of Stella's ethical blunder, PTB. You belatedly realized that Stella involving Angell, a relatively green detective in an unsanctioned op without telling her was selfish, reckless, and unconscionable, so you spackled your mistake with Elmer's backtrack glue by having Angell ask the two questions anyone with a jot of sense would've asked at the beginning. Bravo. You've covered Stella's ass, but made Angell look like a dolt. At least now if Angell bites it on this useless crusade, Stella can tell herself Angell knew what she was risking.\

And oh, Stella. It's finally dawned on you just how high the personal and professional stakes are, hasn't it? It never occurred to you that Mac would jump into the Diakos murder as a favor to you. Mac is thick when it comes to emotional nuance, I'll grant you, but even he could see how much Diakos upset you. That he would take an interest in his murder was inevitable. You know he's going to find out about your unauthorized chicanery in the name of revenge great justice, and you have the sense to be scared of the consequences. Not enough sense to come clean, mind you; like any perp, you clammed up and hoped no one would find evidence of your misdeed, but this is Mac. It's a matter of time.

The fallout from your shortsightedness should be epic. You should be fired, demoted, or otherwise disciplined for your flouting of the chain of command that Mac holds so sacred when he's at the top. There should be a long-term, if not irrevocable, rupture of your personal and professional relationship with him. But this is La-La-Land, where actions have no consequences unless they're fluffy bunnies and relationship-propping baby bumps, so I won't hold my breath.

And why wasn't Mac losing his mind on Danny for disobeying a direct order and engaging in a shootout with a suspect when he had no vest? Even if Mac didn't care about the potential effects of Danny's stupidity on Lindsay and Bump, he should've been apoplectic because Danny disobeyed a direct order. Early spoilers indicated that Flack would read him the riot act, but that never materialized.

And on a petty note, can we get Danny a better "wedding ring"? It doesn't have to be gold, but something that doesn't look like an angry welder molested a tin can with a soldering iron would be nice. I've seen better jewelery at my local open-air craft fair.

15. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

A

I just loved this one! A lot of it was the return of Pino; it was great see him brought back, even if the storyline did end up making him a killer. It was kind of cool seeing a character we knew--albeit briefly--go to the dark side. I really enjoyed that.

Loved Sid, Hawkes and Danny in this episode, with their various reactions to Pino's plight. Robert Joy was awesome and shows why Sid is a terrific character capable of great range. I love his quirks, but it was nice to see him more serious, too.

I loved seeing Hawkes defend his friend, forgetting about science for a minute and just being concerned about his former colleague. Danny's shock at Pino's actions highlight what I like best about the character: his inherent faith in the goodness of those around him. Poor Danno gets disappointed time and again.

I'm split on Danny's rush into the warehouse. On one hand, I agree with those who said they didn't see what else he would do. Danny didn't get to be the show's damsel-in-distress by waiting around, wringing his hands and fretting--he earned the title by impulsively rushing into dangerous situations and then finding himself in trouble. His knight-in-shining-armor, Flack, isn't on the scene quickly enough this time, so Danny has to save himself with a really lucky shot.

Still, with a new wife and a baby on the way, it was reckless. And of course, Danny doesn't tell Lindsay what he's done--he just brushes past it by telling her everything is the same. He still isn't able to open up to her in the way he can to Flack and Mac, which doesn't bode well for their marriage. Why not just tell her he was impulsive and feels scared and bad about his decision? Because Lindsay would yell at him and get angry, rather than talking about it rationally with him. Just more evidence of the way these two are a terrible mismatch.

I think it speaks of Stella's history more than anything else...don't forget, Stella was attacked pretty brutally by Frankie in "All Access." I can definitely see her reacting badly to a physical attack and wanting to revenge herself on her attacker.

It sure would have been symbolic...though I wonder if blood on the wedding ring was symbolic anyway. Brand new ring and it's already bloody?

Yeah, I thought that came across really well. Joy was awesome, and you could really tell how affected Sid was by the ordeal, and by Anabel's sad fate.

I would have liked to see that, too. Mac and Flack are both very protective of Danny, and both have chewed him out before for being reckless. Even without the kid on the way, Danny put himself in pretty dire danger and both men had cause to take him to task for it. I wish we'd seen that.

Symbolic of the quality of the union, perhaps? :lol: