CSI New York--'Rush To Judgment'

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

The writers made him trip over a frickin' bag - I totally blame them for taking that route. :lol: If he can't chase and tackle, they could find a better way to deal with it.

I'm going to be a dork for a few minutes. Forgive me. :p

She was in eight episodes before she even had a scene with Flack (seven during season 3 and one during season 4). She worked with (and flirted with) Flack in "Commuted Sentences", and in the next two episodes she appeared in, she didn't work with him or interact with him. They had two scenes (if I recall) in "All in the Family", nothing in the next episode she appeared in, and they had scenes in the next two she was in (admittedly about five episodes apart). When she first appeared in season 5, I don't think she had a scene with him (in "Enough"), although the next episode had The Kiss. (I don't think she was in "The Box" despite being credited for it.) Then she was in "Forbidden Fruit" without a flirtatious scene (or any scene) with Flack, I believe, and they've done the past two episodes together.

So that's:
    7 episodes in season 3: 0 with Flack, 7 without Flack
    8 episodes in season 4: 4 with Flack, 4 without Flack
    5 episodes in season 5: 3 with Flack, 2 without Flack (and this season isn't over)

Out of a combined total of 20 episodes over three seasons, she's had 7 which included working with and/or flirting with Flack. That's less than half overall. Even just looking at seasons 4 and 5, it's almost an even split so far. As a recurring character and a love interest, I think that's pretty good.

The problem IMO is if they get to the point that she never works cases without interacting with him or they are unable to work professionally despite their relationship. (Aside from the scene in this episode, it hasn't been a problem so far.)

[/dork moment over] :p (I'm not weird or anything, BTW, I just looked through the episode reviews to remind myself while using Emmanuelle's IMDb page to know which episodes she was in. :))

It's okay, I forgive you. :p I would like to see Flack and Adam interact more, though.

I missed that. I am a failure. *woe*

;)

As for the Flack/Angell scene - I haven't rewatched the episode, so this is going from my memory of the scene (which may not be entirely accurate, but there you go).

When the IAB officer brought up her relationship with Flack, it's natural for her to wonder when it became public knowledge. Hell, I'd want to know how it became public knowledge if it was me. (And if I didn't tell anybody, the first thought I'd have about who did tell would obviously be the other person supposedly keeping the secret.) Based on Angell's reaction (and the fact that we know she's only been a detective for a few years), I'd say it's safe to assume dating a colleague you work with closely isn't normal for her. She was uncomfortable with everybody knowing about the relationship (and apparently thought keeping it 'secret' would prevent anybody from finding out - haha, yeah right), and she seemed uncomfortable about being the subject of office gossip. (This is conjecture, of course, but it makes sense to me. :p)

When she asks Flack about it, she isn't just thinking about herself - she does point out that the relationship not being secret means that her testimony about Flack's conduct isn't worth crap to IAB.

Was it the right time to bring it up? No, it wasn't. I'm sure if she'd thought about it, she would have known that - but that wouldn't stop her from wanting to ask about it. And when she brought it up and Flack flat-out told her he had other things to deal with, she let it go. I didn't take her response as offended so much as a bit hurt - even though he's right, that doesn't mean it didn't sound a bit harsh to hear it come out the way he said it. But she knew he was right and she left it alone and got back to work.

Time will tell if she's nursing some butthurt and plans to stomp around before blowing her top on an unsuspecting Flack, but there's nothing at this point to indicate that she'll behave that way - and I hope she doesn't. If she does, I may very well grow to hate their relationship, but as it stands right now, despite my misgivings about another pair of coworkers being together, I like it - and I'm choosing to be optimistic and not assume it'll all be wretched before it even happens. I have confidence in Eddie and Emmanuelle to act their butts off in any case. :)

2. jolein

jolein Pathologist

It is!
    Aha,in that way,yeah I can understand then that it felt like a bad taste but I was actually thinking about the whole scene with Sid reacting to it and starts talking about his obsession and then Danny`s reaction.
    I thought that was funny and really somehow fitted that scene.

On a very shallow sidenote,I hate it that I don`t have trees to trim cause Danny could come and do that for me anything;)

I know that,but I was just pointing that out because it has been the cause of many good and bad discussion.
    Offcourse,it`s not gonna come into play because it`s fictional.

But that would have made more sense if it was worded differently.
    To me it sounded as if she first more or less accused Flack of talking about their relationship before she added the whole testimony point.
    I do understand that she might be not pleased because she wanted to keep it still that they were in a relationship but it just sounded bad.
    And another thing which bugged me was that in the rest of the episode she was nowwhere to be seen,when it came to Don.
    That felt weird and off,they already know that they have a relationship and that her testimony won`t hold,then she could have made time for him to comfort him.

I don`t mind the toughness normally so much but in this case it seemed to much and to be honest when it was revealed that Flack and Angell are dating,I wasn`t suprised to see Angell getting shoved in the foreground so much.

I do admit that i`m not an Angell fan,i`m just neutral about her but in this episode there were just some scenes which rubbed me the wrong way.

3. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

What surprized me was that she was still on the case. Flack clearly couldn't work the case because he was being investigated for the death, but since Angel was also involved in bringing the kid in, surely she should have been taken off the case as well?

But it is a problem. Angell's testimony isn't worth squat to help Flack in this episode because they're in a relationship. The assumption that any courtroom/defence attourney is going to make is that any evidence they give could have been cooked up between them. (yes, we all know that the two would be professional, but reasonable doubt has come from less). In the same way that I feel Danny and Lindsey should never be corroborating each others evidence, Flack and Angell should never be working the same case together. (there shouldn't be a problem with them working the same shifts in the same precinct, but that's it)

Not a total minority. I find her to be just a bit too smug for my liking.

I totally rewound and replayed the Stella/Flack scene, Flack/Angell has my finger squarely on the fast forward button. But yay for the Flack/Mac scene at the end!

4. Little_Peaches

Little_Peaches Police Officer

Lindsay said it first in 4.01, Flack didn't say it until 4.18.

Danny tripping was a bit dire, I have no issue with the Angell take down but the focus then came on to him falling, not her being super awesome. Which is a shame cause I do like her.

5. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Exactly--I got the sense she wanted to give him the heads up about that as well. I'm sure she thought her testimony could help and was probably thrown by realizing that just because they were dating, it was going to be completely discounted.

Exactly. She didn't make a huffy declaration and storm off. The whole conversation felt like one between two adults, which is what I liked about it.

I'm fairly confident Angell won't be blowing Flack off and acting unprofessional at work in his company for the next several episodes. If I'm wrong, then I'll be critical of the behavior because that's not the way for a professional woman or man--especially one who wants to be taken seriously--acts.

I did get the sense that she was trying to figure out if he said anything to anyone who might have repeated it, but not in an angry/accusatory way. She's a detective--she was focused on getting to the bottom of it. Flack reminded her that he had bigger concerns, and she respectfully dropped the topic.

She wasn't in the room with Flack when the kid died, which is when IAB thinks some sort of wrong-doing went on. Because she wasn't in the room at the time he died, there was no reason to remove her from the case.

Then it's really stale. :lol: The nice bit about 418 was that it was played as a parallel--Flack made a crack about Mac and Stella saying the same thing and then Mac turned it around on Flack when he used Danny's catchphrase. In the Lindsay instances, it's just thrown out there to further establish a connection between her and Danny. There's no cleverness to it. I'm glad "Montana" is gone, but we could do with a little less "boom," too.

As for the issue of Danny tripping, hasn't he always been something of a klutz? He tripped over a stereo in "Supply and Demand" and on some stairs or a crate in "Sweet 16." Granted, those were more than likely Carmine's flubs, but they weren't edited out, so one has to attribute them to Danny as well.

6. melanie33

melanie33 Hit and Run

Kristine, I get its your personal opinion, but sometimes I feel you aim unecessary criticism at Lindsay. You constantly criticise her for certain things, but when another character does the exact same thing, you dont seem to mention it. To me what Angell did was no different to what you say Lindsay did. Angell confronted Flack at work about their relationship while Flack had more important things on his plate, going as far as accusing him of telling people about them, her exact words " I didnt say anything, that only leaves you". You say Lindsay's behaviour in RND was selfish. Explain to me how Angell's behaviour wasnt just as selfish in that scene with Flack.?

Also I agree with the poster above that said Angell looked annoyed/upset, Flack had just told her basically to shutup -- he had more important things to worry about. I think I'd be a little annoyed/upset too.

And the problem with that is? Why does she need to be in a particular kind of situation to say it. I am guessing Lindsay spends a whole lot of time with Danny, isnt it normal that she is going to pick up some of his mannerisms/sayings?

7. Top41

*shrug* Oh well. I praise the character/actress on the occasions when she's good. Most of the time she's not--more than I mention, even. But I don't really have room in my reviews--or the interest in going over it again and again--every time Belknap gives a wooden, flat performance or Lindsay does something snide or unsympathetic. There are other things to talk about. :lol:

I already have. A refresher:

and

Not sure what more I can say beyond that. She had an adult discussion with him and listened to what he had to say, unlike Lindsay who basically tore Danny down while he was grieving and then stormed out and refused to talk to him every time he tried to broach the subject in the next three episodes. Angell dropped the matter when Flack asked her to, and left. Maybe she was pissed. That we don't know for sure whether she was or not just goes to prove she was a professional and didn't choose to have a fight with her boyfriend at work. No question about Lindsay being pissed in "Right Next Door." Or "Like Water For Murder." Or the beginning of "Personal Foul."

Still waiting for an answer on this, btw:

No one wants to touch that one? Why am I not surprised? ;)

Hey, it makes up for the fact that she's got very little character of her own, right? ;)

8. csimania19

csimania19 Rookie

will all this F/A thing goin on.. imma jump right in :lol:

so yeah, i agree that it wasn't the perfect time to confront flack about their relationship, but i think angell did it not just because of the relationship deal. i mean, probably she's thinking IA can use it against her. well they actually did. IA sort of implied that angell said flack was "a total professional" for the sake of being his girlfriend. that obviously works against flack.

and basically some people hate f/a just because they're thinking f/a will turn to d/l, which i think is not going to happen. as we just saw in RTJ, when flack directly sort of shut off angell, she backed down and didn't say anything anymore. she had some understanding in her; she even gave him a smile before she left. but.. when lindsay felt that danny was shutting her off (well he was, but it wasn't like, hey linds, get out of my face or whatever) she had her *ehem* monologue of doom. also, the drama got in the way of work when quinn was in the lab to observe and all.

and plus, there's a good reason to continue f/a. d/l had this "i like you, but i can't" thing. then they sleep together. then they have a rocky relationship drama which drained some episodes and then now they're gonna have a baby. i don't recall any good flirting scenes between them, besides all the montana stuff. was that even flirting? LOL. but f/a have some great scenes together and they actually have chemistry. you can sense it with them just standing next to each other. they don't have to say anything for you to notice that there's something going on.

tptb has been doing a pretty good job with them, hopefully they keep it up. :)

9. ErinElizabeth

ErinElizabeth Rookie

Maybe no one is touching on it because they've all realized by now that there's no talking to you? I mean you do realize you're just being plain rude and condescending at this point right?

Plus, you have to admit you show a great deal of bias when it comes to Lindsay. If you're going to be that blatant at least own up to it. You act like you give a fair chance but if I were you I'd look again.

Also, people react to situations in different ways. They just do. How boring would it be if every character had the same reaction. She was upset. Where in the rules does it say that adults can't be upset? And hey, Danny isn't known for being rational and "adult" either so I guess they really are perfect for eachother. :)

You never mind when it's Danny though. Just Lindsay. Funny how that is... :rolleyes:

And you say that Lindsay isn't her own character. You really think Angell is any better? At least we were always sure about Lindsay's first name from her very first episode. Can't really say the same for Angell though, no? ;)

10. Top41

And calling me "rude and condescending" is what? Polite? ;) What is irritating is that no one really counters my arguments about Lindsay--they just cry 'bias.' I'm happy to discuss or debate with anyone that offers a different viewpoint--but just calling me biased isn't an argument. It might be your opinion, but in a debate it's neither here nor there.

And here again is the weak argument. I don't even recall mentioning Lindsay in this review, save for pointing out the contract between the relationship between Danny and Lindsay and Flack and Angell. And I mentioned her harping on Danny in "Right Next Door." Again, I've praised her in other episodes when she's good, but what everyone seems intent on reacting to is any criticism of her with what seems to me to be a knee-jerk reaction. Back it up with a point of view other than that I'm "biased" and we can actually have a discussion.

Sure they can. Of course she's allowed to be upset, but I pointed out that the way she handled it was immature.

In that way, they really are. That doesn't make them good for each other though, and it doesn't give them chemistry.

:lol: Really? Did I not just criticize Danny in this very review for not being there for his friend? I also criticized the character for his immature response in "The Dove Commission." I've brought up the way he trusts the wrong people over and over again. If you're going to accuse me of a bias, at least have your facts right.

I guess that's an argument...but it's not much of one. Angell is a recurring character; Lindsay is a regular one who has been on the show for four seasons. But, sure, okay, yes, we knew Lindsay's first name from her first episode and didn't hear Angell's until her second season on the show. Not sure what that proves, but true. ;)

11. ErinElizabeth

ErinElizabeth Rookie

How can you say that your bias is neither here nor there? That's EXACTLY why it's impossible to have a discussion with you. It always comes back to your bias. Even though I like Lindsay I have no problem saying when I don't like something she did. Same with any of the characters. But you must admit you go off on her the most. If the character does something bad you're all over it. If she does something good you discredit it by saying that Anna is a terrible actress. Which, come on. This is one of the biggest franchises in television. They have actors and actresses lining up and down the block for roles. They never would have picked Anna is she wasn't a good actress. It's not as though she was hugely known or has extreme sex appeal.

As for FA having chemistry and DL not having it? There's really no point in even discussing that simply because we clearly have different views about what's chemistry and what isn't. Which is perfectly fine. What works for some doesn't for others.

12. Top41

You screaming "bias" over and over doesn't make it true. My job as a reviewer is to give my opinion of the episode. And I call them as I see them--if I find Lindsay a weak or irritating character, or Anna giving an inferior performance, I will point that out. And yet at the same time, if I think she does something well, I'll say it. See my reviews for "Stuck on You," "Cool Hunter," "Run Silent, Run Deep," "The Box," and others. When the character and/or actress merit praise, I give it. When she doesn't, I point that out, too. So your cries of "bias" just because you don't agree with me aren't really here nor there. That's not an argument.

There is a lot that goes into casting a TV show. They replaced a sultry, ethnic-looking actress with a whitebread farm girl type. I think the fact that she looked the type played a lot into her casting. Even Anna admitted her audition sucked.

Chemistry is of course something that's subjective. As a reviewer, I'm going to call them as I see them. I don't expect everyone to agree with me.

13. Half

Half CSI Level Two

Top has a point. You can't call her out for expressing her opinion in a personal review of an episode.

D/L is one of the biggest controversies on CSI:NY. Parts of the fandom love it. Parts don't see the chemistry and hate it. Others could honestly care less. Of course Top is "biased". Honestly, ErinElizabeth, you are too. You're biased towards D/L and against F/A. So truthfully, there's no reason to pull the bias card when it comes to this conversation.

Maybe it wasn't my place to speak up, but it's true.

14. ErinElizabeth

ErinElizabeth Rookie

Bias - a particular tendency or inclination, esp. one that prevents unprejudiced consideration of a question; prejudice.

I think you might be confusing my liking of something to having bias. You can like something and still not have bias. There are some DL shippers that I find irrational just as much as I find some DL haters irrational. There are some things that have happened with the DL relationship that I haven't cared for. Things that Lindsay did that I didn't care for. I actually found Sleight Out of Hand a little cheesy. And while I am good now with the way the pregnancy storyline is going if I had the choice I'd rather not have it.

As for FA, I'd love to see Flack in a relationship so I'm honestly upset that I don't care for Angell or see the chemistry. But there it is. I suppose I could have bias there but I can't help that I don't see the chemistry. I'm at an impass there.

Top, I know there are times where you've given credit where credit is due but that's quite scarce. And while I can understand some of your criticisms I also find some quite outlandish. The reason I talk about your bias is because I feel like it taints Lindsay for you and you haven't been able to take all the good with the bad. That's the impression I get from reading your reviews. Also, I feel that comparing Lindsay to Angell or DL to FA is unfair. They're all totally different characters with different stories.

And you say that no one ever gives you a good arguement but I don't know how anyone can? Most of the things you state are just your opinion. How do you disput someone's opinion? We see the same facts and make different interpretations. We can argue until we're dead but nothing will change.

Honestly, I don't even know why I care or why I'm trying to explain my side. It really doesn't matter. This has no impact on my life. I'm sorry I said anything at all (just because I don't need the extra headache) but I guess my argumentative side took over. But I'm a bit tired of beating this dead horse.

I just have to laugh at how pointless this all is.

15. Half

Half CSI Level Two

Maybe it's my puny teenaged mind, but I was under the impression that if you liked a plotline you were biased towards it because you wanted it to continue. I'm biased towards F/A. I admit it. Because no matter what TPTB do, I'll still ship them. If I write a review of an episode with a F/A scene, I will be biased to talk about it, when I might not talk about a ship that I don't support. I don't think we're using the word "bias" the same way, and I'm sorry if I seem like I'm trying to jump on you here.

I understand that, since my own argumentative side is probably why I'm here writing this...