"One To Go" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Jan 10, 2009.

1. erep

erep Witness

I loved this episode and feel that the ending was very much in keeping with what we know about Gil, and with what we've learned about how he's changed over the years. That said, I feel the need to correct something that several people have complained about on this thread: that public displays of affection would not be Grissom's style. Yes, that is true. But a kiss in a remote part of the jungle hardly qualifies as "public" ! Yes, we as *viewers* saw it, but gosh, it was certainly a private place, and a private moment -- in other words, typical Grissom. I'm happy for the characters and just hope we viewers hear from them every so often...go off and have fun Grissom and Sara! Go off and do new things, Billy and Jorja!!

2. jeanmacgreen

jeanmacgreen Rookie

I'll really miss Billy Petersen on CSI, but to be honest, his acting has been exemplary throughout the show's run. If there is anyone to blame for poor stories, look to the writers and their output.
    Giving trite, overwrought material to a very talented ensemble of actors is like saying to a brilliant carpenter "Build a house for me according to these exact plans" but the carpenter is given no tools, brick or wood to build just such a structure.
    Anyone put in such a position would be very hard pressed to turn 'lead into gold'.
    Sad as WP's departure might be, I loved the fact his character could now see a life together with Sara.
    Miss Ya Billy! Be happy where ever you choose to go in life.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  3. Criminologist86

Criminologist86 Pathologist

I think you can state your opinion without being so disrespectful to Billy...It's fine that you don't like Grissom, and it's fine that you say that, you have a right to, but I think that disrespecting an actor/executive producer, is a little too low of a blow.
    I'm not saying you shouldn't have an opinion, but I am saying that disrespect isn't a great way to go.

4. Kasey47

Kasey47 Police Officer

Not picking on this quote, just seems to be the synopsis of what some are feeling.

I really don't see how having Grissom evolve into something not so much comparable to a robot as completely wrecking a character. Here is a person who couldn't relate to anything that was breathing and now, oh my God, he can actually see that there must be something out there beyond solving puzzles and quoting Shakespeare. Yeah that's character assassination at it's finest.

PDA's aren't part of Grissom's character that's true. But..um..how public is a forest? I believe there was one person near the tent and a monkey. This wasn't halftime at the superbowl.

If anyone has ever talked to a cop/detective/CSI then they would know that you just can't do that job forever without it affecting you. In Living Doll, Grissom said he'd been a CSI for 22 years. That's a heck of a long time to see the things that he has seen. So it's not surprising that maybe he wants to spend some time fly fishing and watching monkeys.

This is the way Billy Petersen wanted Grissom to go out. If he believes that Grissom can do this, and he should know Grissom the best, who are we to say anything different.

Just my opinion of course....

5. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

I had company last night and with everyone talking, I re-watched it again this morning, and it was fantastic, the old crime scene at it's most gruesomeness and the creepy serial killer and his brutal accomplice, what a freak, EWWW, LF was great, so smooth, and such a powerful screen presence:thumbsup: good job. And his poignant scenes with Nick "you were my best student" and Greg "You changed my life forever" and him at the ending walking down the hall looking an reminiscing:( a real tear jerker, and on his final scene with his girl in Costa Rica, overwhemlming, and I don't understand how two people in love comes across as "cheesy":confused: if somone told you "I don't like you with that person" would you go OK, and walk away or snub those comments and carry on with what you want? TPTB. Billy & Jorja as these characters, always knew they would be together. She was burnt out, & left Vegas not him.. and he was going down the same path. Knowing that he made a decision to join her and find peace and calmness. And how did he know she was in Costa Rica? they've been in touch:rolleyes: he just kept it to himself, he's private and has come full circle with his life:p and the poweful expressions on both their faces was so fulfilling and tremendous. BYE BYE Grissom and Sara, see ya' soon~ and they mentioned Lake Mead numerous times so here's a link for you all to view about the Lake~

LAKE MEAD

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  6. ebuzz55

ebuzz55 Pathologist

And basically, you nailed it. Undoubtedly some will be unhappy with the ending, but honestly, all signs have been pointing to this ending for quite a while. Speaking for myself, I thought it was perfect from the walk down the hall to the rolling credits. The continuity was there (no cake in the breakroom) and only Cath and Brass saw him go. Subtle and without dialogue. Very in character for everyone.

And... Ecklie is the new Undersheriff. Gotta love that.

7. gilsgal

gilsgal Lab Technician

I have to say that I absolutely adored this episode. I've always loved when the team works on one case together and we get to see the interactions with everyone.

I loved Gil's moment with Nick and also with Greg...short maybe, but both carried a powerful impact as you could sense all the things that weren't being said, but that were being conveyed anyway.
    Hodges may have had a longer scene with Gil, but it was not filled with the same feeling of pride and family, that Nick and Greg's moments with him were. I"ve always gotten a laugh out of Hodges' man crush on Grissom, so to me it was a light moment. Grissom's talk with Hodges felt like Gil was trying to allay the audience's fear.... a sort of, "I know I'm leaving and you're not sure what to expect next, but it will be OK"

It was great to see Gil have his last hurrah....finding the house by "forensic astronomy". Who else but Gil, would have thought to use the position of the moon eight years ago to find the hideout. That is why Grissom will always be CSI to me.

I have to say that the actor who played the DJK was did amazing job of making my skin crawl. I'd love to see him appear in another epsiode.

The Langston character reminded of Jack from Without a Trace, in his drive for speed and not recognizing what the CSIs could come up with. I felt that Grissom probably wanted to say to him, "I've found that when you want to go fast, is exactly when you should go slow".
    Anyway, it will be interesting to see if I'll be able to continue watching CSI without Grissom. I feel the whole tone of the show must shift from that geeky and amazing way that Grissom knew things, and I worry it will become just another generic CSI show. I hope I'm wrong...

I thought Grissom's departure was done in typical Grissom style; subtle, without fuss and silently. I had read somewhere that they were going to show everyone hugging Grissom as each character said their good-bye, but it was nixed by Billy, who knew that Grissom would never leave that way. "There will be no cake in the breakroom ..." as Gil told Warrick so long ago.
    The long walk down the hall at the end, Grissom looking fondly at his work family, was perfect and so Grissom. I loved the wink from Catherine and Gil's little smile back. You just know that she knows where he's going and why.

When it faded to black and then come back to find Gil in the rain forest, it harkened back to that speech he made to Sara back at the end of season 6 where he stated that before he died he wanted to return to the rainforest.
    I am not a huge GSR shipper...I'm a Gil shipper...whoever he had ended up with would have been fine with me, but it made total sense for him to seek Sara, to show her that he could finally give her an answer.
    I loved it....cheesy, soppy kiss and all. I would have been very upset with the writers if they had not finished this story arc.

8. Hadapurpura

Hadapurpura Witness

You're right, and it wasn't that cheesy. It could have gone like this:

* Grissom leaving the lab*

Catherine: I'm so glad that you finally lifted your head out of that microscope...

*later in the jungle*

Sara: I don't even have to turn around. Gil Grissom.

Grissom: Sara, I finally know what to do about "this"

Monkey (in monkey talk): Are they going to spank me? or just in front of me?

A lot of people don't like Sara as Grissom's choice of woman, but in general, him leaving the work that has burnt him out in order to be with the woman he loves and the bugs he loves (he just can't make out with them) in a happier environment is a great ending (he's getting laid!). He's a lovesick puppy indeed, but that's far from being one of the worst things he could be.

I agree with you. Either he secretly implanted a GPS chip in her arm between For Warrick and The Happy Place (fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...), or they've talked beforehand, because when Grissom made his decision, he looked totally relaxed and confident, like he *knew* he was going to be welcomed back and not rejected.

I've got aquestion: Since Ecklie is the new undersheriff, who'll be the new Lab Director?

9. seahawk

seahawk Prime Suspect

I'm not sure there will be a successor to Ecklie since he mentioned that the Sheriff restructured the department and teams would report directly to him (the Sheriff). So, IIRC, Ecklie's position as Lab Director was made redundant and Ecklie got promoted to Undersheriff.

10. Half

Half CSI Level Two

Okay, that I would've found hilarious. It would've been the perfect shoutout to the fans and the finishing of the circle from Sara's first episode.

So, the team reports directly to the sheriff, so who reports to Ecklie? Cops?

11. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I hope we find out at some point what happened to Hank the dog!

Did he give him to Nick?

Poor Hank, has he lost two beloved owners in a year!:(

12. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

I forgot the mention Hodges and his farewell, he told him "you can't go":wtf:poor unfortunate Hodges, he actually spent more time with his "IDOL" then anyone else. But no 'hugs' with anyone. And how surperior he acted with Dr. Langston, always obnoxious and never gets that he is:confused:and on the dog, He'll be with them, maybe he's in a kennel for now till they decide to permanently settle in somewhere!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  13. Grillows1st

Grillows1st Hit and Run

Hm, a lot of people, well a few think that he went to Costa Rica FOR Sara but the way I saw it was that he didn't even KNOW she was going to be there, it was a coinsidence. I was really boiling last night from that and I know that he's still going to come back here and there, it's still VERY possible for him to get with Catherine. I also don't think that this is how Billy wanted the last scene to be, he had said that he wanted his last scene with Catherine ;} At least Marg and Billy are on the Grillows side.

14. Criminologist86

Criminologist86 Pathologist

We are SO BEST friends as of right now!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::beer:

15. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Animal shelter!:( Maybe a kennel, but not an animal shelter. Grissom would never do that to his buddy and Sara would get on the next plane and race back to Vegas to rescue Hank-after she throttled Grissom.

Sara: You did WHAT!

Grissom: But I wanted to see you!

Sara smacks Grissom with the camera, gets into jeep and races to the airport..

...sorry..my imagination is in overdrive, but that would make a for a good fanfic..

I loved the scene with Langston and the serial killer, shows that Langston has lots to learn!:lol: