Grade 'Dead Inside'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Nov 12, 2008.

?

How would you grade Dead Inside?

1. A+

16 vote(s)
    24.6%
  2. A

22 vote(s)
    33.8%
  3. A-

11 vote(s)
    16.9%
  4. B+

9 vote(s)
    13.8%
  5. B

6 vote(s)
    9.2%
  6. B-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

I have to say if Flack gives every girl a kiss like that to say thank you I will come running. The guy is finding some way to drag me over to his side and off Danny.

Tho the fauxhawk.... oooh it was nice, very pretty the kind a guy spends hours on and if you even think of touching he throws and hissy fit.

The case was pretty so so, i kept thinking i missed the beggining cos you never saw the guy die. Tho when the daughter realised it was her father i was thinking insest and thikning pray to god the mum don't find out tho they never found out themselves

But the moving house was wicked, there is a programme here in the UK that used to be on 5Ive called "monster moves" which was all about people moving houses literally it was based mostly US but it was soo wierd to think just up and move in the literal sense and take the house with you.

Was thinking were was Mac this episode he seemed to be less in your face than normal which i really liked, recently has a tendency to grate on me next episode i'm already expecting it to be all about him so shoudl be ok.

Was nice to see everyone though get a fair share in the case and nice to see Lindsay around as last few episodes she's not been there as much.

Flack and Sam are sweet loved the interaction and the song through the speaker was just cute and far to nice my brother would never do that or actually even think about it.

but the Flack/Angel scene was kind of almost a superhero moment if that makes sense when they walk off realised they are making a huge mistake and run in and take the girl off there feet... But i did feel like it wasn't the first... but i was still going "No but why, but how" and then just turned to the i hate angel i wish i was her.

I liked the ep and the follow up with Stella's story was nicely done enough to make you notice.

2. SpeedyMeg25

SpeedyMeg25 Coroner

After she got the mysterious phone call, Danny asked her what was wrong. And Stella told him that there was a guy at the Greek Embassy that fit the description of the guy who attacked her.

Someting along those lines anyway. :rolleyes:

3. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

Samantha Flack can guest star any time she wants. Flack received more development in one episode than he has in the previous ninety-seven episodes in which he has appeared. We've seen Flack the cop for five years, but here we saw Flack the man and older brother. He was recognizable but also fabulously, heartbreakingly human.

The dynamic between Eddie Cahill and the talented Miss Munroe is a treasure. I look at them and believe they're related, that they have a shared and long-standing history. They bicker, but they also trade snark and loving sibling wit.

Their first scene in the bar was note-perfect. The stern older brother. The wheedling younger sister who's been playing him since she was in diapers. Her change of topic from her alcohol-fueled misdeeds to shared familial miseries was expert, and the memory of her and Flack sharing headphones and listening to a song ad nauseam was beautiful. Flack's fond smile and gentle exasperation with his younger sister was sublime, and said more than any chunky monkey dialogue ever could. Eddie acts with every aspect of himself, and the results are spectacular.

Their second meeting was no less spectacular, but the tone was far different. Sisterly joy at seeing him twice in a week quickly devolves into lies, anger, and hurt on both sides. "Since when did you start to care?" Sam spits when Flack models his Indignation Pants.

Ouch. That question is rife with undercurrents. I suspect that while Sam is proud of her father and brother, she resents the institution that has informed and stolen their lives. Policemen are often so busy saving other people's families that they have little time for their own, and fair or not, methinks Sam feels abandoned. In their first encounter, Sam points out that she and Don used to sneak out on Friday nights, but Don dismisses her anecdote with a blithe, "We were kids, Sam."

Now, in his defense, he was pointing this out to illustrate that she was far too old to be hurling beer bottles at patrol cars--and he's right--but it's a dismissal all the same, and I can't help but wonder if Sam interpreted it as a dismissal of everything else they'd shared. I don't think they see each other often, a hunch borne out by her excitement at seeing him "twice in a week". His job has eaten him up, just as it devoured her father, and she's been left at loose ends.

So, when he accuses her of "hanging out with scumbags in Crown Point," Sam lets him have it. He's left her to her own devices, and yet he sees fit to waltz in a pass judgment on the network she's created for herself? That has to gall. That his assessment is correct is irrelevant; to Sam, what matters is that he made that judgment at all when he is and has been so far removed from her world. He's her blood, yes, but he's also an outsider to her world. Intentionally or not, he's left her behind.

And Sam's pissed. And afraid. As she told the faceless people in the AA meeting, every family has a black sheep, and she's afraid she's it. She's keenly aware that she hasn't lived up to her brother's pedigree. The fuckup. The loser. The probable dropout. Sam believes that in the grand scheme of things, she was an afterthought in Clan Flack, and a disappointing one at that.

I will love Flack forever for showing up at her door to play the song he claimed not to remember. It was a truly sweet gesture, and whether he knew it or not, it reconnected Sam to a happier part of her life. Maybe it even moved her to get help by reminding her that she was cherished. Her silent tears and Flack's hopeful gazes at her window while he played their childhood song were unspeakably poignant.

And where do I start with the final revelation? Flack was absolutely gut-punched and laid raw by Sam's admission that she was an alcoholic. Guilt, confusion, and loss were all over his face as he backed away from that door. I can only imagine what he was thinking. He was probably wondering why he'd never realized she was hurting so much, and another part of him was wondering how much he'd hurt her.

I don't think Flack is OK. I think he's on his heels. He's illustrated open contempt for alcoholics before, in S3, insulated by his belief that such weaknesses were for everyone else. It will be interesting to see how he adjusts his stance, or if he does, now that he knows his sister is battling addiction.

Now...

The OC-writing, anti-shipper in me saw the Flack/Angell kiss and wailed, "Kill it! Kill it with fire!" and writhed liked a demon before the cross or a Puritan with hemorrhoids dancing in the hard, wooden pews on Sunday. But the critic in me thought it was tasteful and genuinely sweet. I can't help but think Flack is shy with women to whom he's attracted despite the fact that he could bag more tuna than the entire Alaskan fishing fleet. If they keep the snogging to a minimum, it could be fun to watch.

I don't normally say this, but Anna was dead on during the Flack Family squabble. She was clearly uncomfortable, and I loved her desperate fixation on anything but the fight.

Of course, she lost those points with the godawful delivery of, "They say confession is good for the soul?" Egad. She sounded like she was trying to stifle a bumbomb and talk at the same time.

A+

Too bad we're back to the same old Mactimony next week.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  4. CCA

CCA Police Officer

I've heard "get more ass then a toilet seat" but that one is new one on me, you just about killed me with that! :guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw: thank you! I am so putting that in my notebook to use for future references!

5. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

La_Guera, thank you for posting such an eloquent and (in my opinion) incredibly accurate picture of Flack and his sister's relationship. I entirely agree with your opinion of it, and it was a great read!

Yeah, I'm just surprised that she doesn't seem to have told anyone prior to that. It seems unusual, even if the guys at the embassy have immunity you'd have thought she would mention that she knew who had attacked her. I did like the reference to the rat fisherman though, I liked him, and was rather upset that they killed him off (I think he'd have been a great, random character to bring back every now and then). :lol:

6. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I agree with that. She was appropriately awkward and doing what most people would do which is try to focus on something else but not being able to look away and listen to the train wreck that's happening in front of her.

I didn't mention it in my review because I'm trying to be a kinder, gentler PA; or, you know, I forgot. But that delivery just bugged the hell out of me too. It was like it was not quite a statement but not quite a question either. It was right up there with the "I rock" scene for cringeworthyness, IMO.

7. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

La_Guera, excellent insight into the dynamic and relationship between Don and Sam. :)

Oh honey, me too! :lol: I imagined their ages to be about what you imagined them to be, so the idea of them sneaking out was a bit odd - I picture Flack as going straight to the Police Academy asap, and I doubt he made much time to 'sneak off' with Sam after that - although I suppose he could have lived at home and snuck out with her on school nights or something when she should have been at home...

I dunno. I wish the writers would reveal how old they imagine these characters to be (although when it comes to this show, if you try to use logic to figure out ages and stuff, you'll get a headache - Stella graduating from the academy 10 years before when she said several seasons earlier that she'd been working with Mac for 10 years, Lindsay's age, etc) - based on the story from this episode, I guess they're probably only a few years apart in age.

I wonder if maybe Mama Flack died when they were younger, and Flack might have kinda taken Sam under his wing since their mom wasn't around and their dad was always at work...I think it could be interesting to have another sibling involved (although continuity is still not TPTB's strong suit), but I'm not sure what kind of relationship he would have with his family...

This is making my brainmeats hurt. >.<

8. SpeedyMeg25

SpeedyMeg25 Coroner

Yeah, I have always kind of thought that too. Maybe it was because he mentions his father quite often, but only his mother once I think.
    It would definetely make a lot of sense in my mind at least.
    It would be interesting to see how he interacts with another sibling, especially in the case of his brother. Would he be as caring with him as with Sam, would he care more perhaps? I think it could be something that the writers could really explore.

9. flackie_boo

flackie_boo Hit and Run

I was definitely getting the vibe that his mom was dead while watching last nights episode. The way their stories were phrased "like we used to do every other Friday night after dad fell asleep." It wasn't mom and dad, it was just dad. So I think there is something that happened there, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I enjoyed the episode a lot though, good stuff. It was cool to learn stuff about Flack's life.

I must say, I am not against Flack and Angell, but I think the writers and what not need to realize that there is a world outside of the work one and people don't always date colleagues. But I like Flack and Angell together(as friends and co-workers), they have good chemistry.

I loved Adam lots in last nights episode. But I love Adam in general, he's adorable and hilarious.

I don't post here a lot.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  10. privatename

privatename Rookie

La_Guerra, I read a lot of posts on here and yours usually stand out. Sometimes I agree with you, sometimes I don't, but they are usually well-written. However, I think this post has got to be one of the best I have read. It is incredibly eloquent and insightful and I am not just saying that because I agree with everything you wrote. :)

They really do screw up ages on this show in a big way, don't they? I was also under the impression (and I am not sure where I got this impression) that Flack was older than Sam by a 4-5 years. Sneaking out together, however, sounds like they can't be more than 2 years apart. He's 16, she's 14 (or 15/17) and still in high school and they go out to hang out in the neighborhood and meet up with friends. It makes me think though because although my brother and I are just under a year apart in age, we never had the same friends or hung out together. I guess we were occasionally at the same party. Of course, my brother would never in a million years think to play a song from our childhood over an intercom either. He just isn't that thoughtful.

11. calleighspeedle

calleighspeedle Coroner

This was one of the strongest episodes from this season so far. It's nice to see Flack playing the big protective brother towards his little sister Sam awww, the part where he played "Red Rain" by Peter Gabriel over the intercom that was so cute, obviously a song from their childhood.:adore:

At last Danny & Lindsey get some screen time.:hugegrin:

and

Flack and Angell kissed...wow!

Can't wait for next weeks episode.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  12. CSINYGal88

CSINYGal88 Hit and Run

All I have to say is YAY FLACK AND ANGELL!!

I feel bad for Sam...but I know that Don will be there for her.

Some people in the fandom think that since Flack's father was the only parent, that the burden of the motherly duties, so it drove her to be the black sheep of the family, then an alcoholic. I don't know about that...

The whole house thing was lame, but I think the relationship part between the family and Mac...with the death of the cheating father...was nice. I liked how Mac genuinely understood.

I think that Stella might get herself into some hot water, if she tries to go after that Greek man that beat her up. If Danny goes in with her on this...

:eek:

It was alright. gave it a B. I think the next episode will be a lot better!

;)

13. Raven04

Raven04 Police Officer

God, if Flack kissed me like that, I would not let him leave. We would be boinking in the car....

14. alynk

alynk Civilian

Hullo All,

I'm new here, and I'm very pleased to meet all of you :)

This is probably off-topic, but I was reading the thread and noticed the opinions on how it'd be interesting if they also introduced Flack's brother(s?); well, ever since he got a haircut, I keep thinking that Mr. Cahill looks a lot like James D'arcy (similar enough to be related anyway), so...casting call, anyone? ;)

Not like it'd happen, but Mr. D'arcy would either have to work really hard on perfecting a New York accent, or it'd have to be written into the storyline that he got sent off to the UK as an infant or something :p

Anyways, here's a link to a pic of James D'arcy for comparison:
    http://www.imdb.com/media/rm4199586560/nm0195439

Yeah, we all know what Eddie Cahill looks like, but here's a pic link anyway:
    http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1828557056/nm0128655

^_^

15. darksheep

darksheep Dead on Arrival

I don't care too much about ships overall, but I lurve Flack so that was hot. And it was something I didn't see coming. And at the tail of an already Flack-tastic episode packed with great moments where he couldn't be more adorable.:luvlove::adore::thumbsup:

Danny who?

If I was that chick playing Angell I'd have probably found a way to "screw up" that scene as many chances as I could so it would involve several takes to get it right.:)