Twilight

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by sidlewannabee, Jun 20, 2008.

1. sidlewannabee

sidlewannabee CSI Level One

Hey guys i noticed that we didn't have a Twilight thread and i wanted to make one.

I started to read twilight about three months ago. I read the first book, then I showed my older sister and got her hooked. We have read all of them now and we introduced my mom to the books and she has been reading them nonstop. She is finally on Eclipse.

I can't wait until the movie and the next book.

2. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I think this should be in the General TV and Media section as it could deal with an up and coming movie :) So I'm going to move it there and if the mods there feel it should be move back by all means :)

3. DocInTheBox

DocInTheBox Dead on Arrival

Yo! I love the Twilight books, and I can't wait for Breaking Dawn in August. However, I'm kinda dreading the movie. For one thing, the books themselves are first-person and those normally don't make good movies cuz you can't HEAR the protagonist, unless it's a narrative, which is a rarity these days. Plus, no offence to the cast, but it's chock full of young actors who don't have much, if any, experience. Of course, it may be great, and I'd love to be proved wrong, but the fact that only one ten second trailer has been released and the movie opens in six months doesn't warrant much hope.

4. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

I'm quite excited for Breaking Dawn in August and the movie. I'm currently rereading Twilight and it's even better the third time around.

DocInTheBox, here is a link to Stephenie's site. Where there are links to MTV for trailers and movie info.

They have one scene currently on the MTV site and I find it to be amazing. Sometimes lesser known/worked actors tend to have the greatest impact. Though Robert Pattinson played Cedric Diggory in the Harry Potter movies, so he's not that unknown.

5. sidlewannabee

I am starting to read Twilight for the 2nd time around. The movie looks great. I am a big fan of Kristen Stewart. I don't quite see Robert Pattinson as Edward, but i guess he'll do. Some of the sctors have experience. I like it when they use brand new actors too because then you don't see them as a different character. I looked at the cast of Twilight before I read the books but only because my friend was excited to show me. So I see the cast as the characters when I read the books.

6. DocInTheBox

DocInTheBox Dead on Arrival

Thanks for the link, wolfesgamergirl! :) It got me a little more excited about the movie than I had been. Plus, remembering that the guy who plays Edward played Cedric gives me more hope. And I did love Kristen Stewart in Speak, which was a narrative also, so she might be spectacular in the role of Bella, since she'll know how to do it.

Arg, ya'll got me lookin' forward to the movie now!!!!! Six months, man...

7. SpeedsDaughter

SpeedsDaughter CSI Level One

I began reading Twilight on the reccomendation of several friends, and I got hooked almost instantly. The series is very well written, with descriptions that rival some of the best authors to have ever walked this earth. Stephanie Meyer has a way of having the characters connect with the audience on an intimate level as if you were really there, witnessing the action.

I eagerly await the arrival of the fourth book, which I hope to borrow when the fangirls are finished squeeing over it :D. The movie I am a tad apprehensive about, but I choose to have an optomistic view of this and can only hope for the best.

8. Showtime

Showtime Police Officer

I might call this the overstatement of the century.

Twilight is a fun series, yeah, but in NO way does it compare to novels like Fall On Your Knees (Anne Marie-Macdonald) or Independence Day (Richard Ford) or even Anne Rice, as much disdain I have for her books.

Stephanie Meyers is an all right author who's filling a niche that isn't really fully explored yet - something like 90% of pre-teens I know wet their pants over this. It's got the mystery and the passionate but star-crossed lovers and all of that garbage.

Whatever. Like I said before, it's a fun series but absolutely does NOT warrant that kind of praise.

9. carolina

carolina Lab Technician

I think she is incredibly good in translating emotions to words and then further onto the reader and that is quite rare.

I agree that the story may not be the most original one but it is still beautiful and funny.

although to be honest I have never been as pissed with a book as I was after finishing Eclipse. I really dont like being lied to in story-telling and the whole Jacob part made mi think something along the lines of WTF was she smoking when she came up with it. I sincerely hope there is no mention of him in BD. cause in my book he is the bad guy

on the other hand I want to know more about all the Cullens. those are my favorite parts of all the books, whenever she is with the Cullens - doesnt matter which one though the little romantic me prefers Edward :), the story gets more interesting, more vivid.

I love Emmett and Alice and I want to know more about them and their relationships with Rosalie and Jasper, especially Alice and Jasper. they first encounter sounded like fun I would have liked to know more

10. sidlewannabee

IU love Alice, she is awesome. i have to agree with SpeedsDaughter, I think Twilight is one of the best series ever written. It has captivated more people. Also, the book is for adults too, not just teens. Although, teens can relate more to it because they are closer in age. Twilight I think can even compete against harry Potter. In fact Twilight, the movie will be competing against the 6th Harry Potter movie in the winter. Harry Potter will come out first then 2 weeks later Twilight will come out. I am glad they don't come out the same night because then i would have to chose between the two of them and that wouldn't be very fun.

11. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

To each their own, if someone finds this to be the best series that they have read, there isn't a reason to put them down. Plus it's a personal preference to anyone on what they find appealing.

Comparing Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse to other books is quite absurd at best. Every author writes in their own style and therefore saying that one is better than the other because of word choice or another reason hardly makes sense.

12. sidlewannabee

That is so true. Every author does have their own style and we can't really judge them. I ammend my statement. The Twilight series is one of my favorite series. It is not quite the best, but I like. I am especially pyched for the movie. I can't wait to see how they make it.

13. luvspeed

luvspeed Police Officer

i jusy barely started the series last week and i'm already done with it! it was so much fun to read i didn't put it down. since the next book isn't out yet i'm just going to re-read it.

what team are you guys rooting for? team Jacob or team Edward?

14. carolina

carolina Lab Technician

Team Edward all the way.

I re-read the first two books several time already - skipping the Edward-less part in the middle of NM :) , but I have hard time re-reading Eclipse since Jacob pops up all the time in it and as I said before he annoys me to no end

15. luvspeed

luvspeed Police Officer

i'm one Team Jacob but i have nothing against Edward.

Jacob is my favorite character( i don't know why) so i'm going to be loyal and root for him. he'll lose but i'll root for him.

one of the reason i'm on his team is because i put myself in Bella's situation. once Bella came back to the real world when Edward left her(i cried when i read the chapter:(), my thought was "You had your chance Edward and you blew it! move on Bella." that's what i would do i guess.

i'm over Bella's choice now so Rock on Edward and Bella!!!!:cool: