Anyone else have an emotional break down about Warrick?

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Julz, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Julz

Julz Victim

As pathetic as this may sound, I got very very very close to Warricks character. I didn't watch his death, well not really.
    When I was 11 I watched CSI NY religiously but not really much of the others. Though I did see Warricks death, because it happened when I was 11.
    ANYWAYS. A while ago I watched CSI from the beginning, cuz I knew the characters and what not just didn't really watch it by episode, and I got really attached to Warrick. Actually, I had to stop watching before he died, because I was crying and just couldn't handle it at all and stop CSI Vegas from there just cuz it was so... painful(pathetic trust me ik)
    In season 8 after he hooked up with the stripper who was later found dead in his car, I was done, couldn't watch it anymore, It killed me(well and him) *insert yahhh from CSI Miami*
    Still I'm just curious if theres been anyone else who did this with a character?

2. Gloriana

Gloriana Dead on Arrival

Hey now Julz, don't be so hard on yourself over there. You're not pathetic at all. A lot of people get attached to fictional characters, and they get very emotional about what happens to them (including me, and I'm in my 30s!). If storytelling didn't emotionally affect us all, no authors would sell any books and movies/television wouldn't be so popular. Stories are supposed to capture our hearts and imaginations. I think everyone has that *one* character in a story who really speaks to them and sticks with them. You're human! No shame in that.

And no shame for me, I did indeed cry my eyes out when I first saw Warrick's death. I knew it had happened in the series, but I was living on my own with no television when it first aired, so I initially missed it. Then, a year or so later, I had access to television again and those episodes came up in a CSI marathon. There have been a lot of shows where a main character gets killed off, but often times the writers/directors 'soften the blow' a little bit by having the death happen off-screen, or they shoot the scenes so they're 'easy' on graphic details and such. I was surprised the CSI team went so graphic with it. Warrick's death was *very* brutal, it would have honestly been hard enough to watch that particular death if it had been an ancillary character or a guest, but seeing that happen to a character the audience had come to know and love for years? That was EXTREMELY difficult to see. I think a lot of CSI fans felt that way, you're far from alone in that.

First time I saw it, I did feel like I had been hit upside the head with a tire iron, it was so painful and sad. I honestly had to break out the paper towels for my tears/snot, because tissues were NOT enough to handle it in that moment. I decided to cut the marathon short, I just felt like I needed a buffer zone to process what I had just seen. My mother (in her late 60s) flat-out stopped watching the show altogether after Warrick died. I think it just turned her off for good, because he was her absolute favorite and she felt it was way too brutal. I recovered eventually and watched the rest of the 9th season, but it took me awhile (especially since Grissom himself left just a handful of episodes later, in the ultimate double-whammy of sadness)(incidentally, I cried like a baby when Grissom left as well).

I have the DVD box-sets from 1-10, but I wholly admit I outright skip the episodes surrounding Warrick's death, the episode of his death, and the subsequent funeral. When I'm watching Season 8, there's just that building sense of dread as it draws closer, and I prefer to jump past it. So don't be hard on yourself about that, you're not the only one.

I can only imagine how I would have felt if I had been eleven years old when that episode aired. I was definitely way more emotionally affected by shows/movies when I was that age, and some of that stuff really does stick with you forever. There's a particular death in the movie "The NeverEnding Story" that utterly decimated me, to the point I had nightmares for weeks afterward and, to this day, I have never been able to go back to it (if you've seen it, you know which death I mean. If you haven't, you probably want to avoid it because it really is one of the most depressing films ever). I could give you a whole list of character deaths like that, I've felt that way many times over the years (including books I've sobbed over, to the point I have to psych myself up to read them again, since I already know what's going to happen).

So, suffice it to say, I don't think you should be so hard on yourself about it. You can do what I do: Just watch the episodes where Warrick and Nick are awesome partners-in-crime-solving together, and pretend Warrick will live forever :)

Julz likes this.
  3. Julz

Julz Victim

Hey! thank you for replying.
    I didn't get out of bed a week, it was bad, but my lack of mental stability didn't help. I'm 18 and I when I rewatch the series I stop at the episode before Cockroaches(The one where Hodges makes the boardgame)
    I've always been emotionally attached to Warrick, maybe because we come from similarish background, in a way. My mom lost custody when I was 10 and my dad didn't get custody until I was 14, so I guess him having a background with his dad ditching and mom dying was something I could relate to.
    Thank you so much again, he lives on forever with me. I just write a whole bunch of fanfiction lol.

4. MaxPointy

MaxPointy Hit and Run

Not really. Beyond the obvious problems Gary Dourdan was having, it wasn't like Warrick was the sort to simply take a job in another town, or travel the world to find himself or anything like that.

He was a character with personal demons, and it made sense that it would eventually catch up with him.

5. CSI_Forever

CSI_Forever Victim

Knowing that the actor himself was going through some very real issues is what made the character death of Warrick much more heartbreaking to me. I always related deeply to Grissom, so seeing how devastated he was after his "surrogate son"/"work son" was brutally taken still makes that episode hard to watch. Excellent storytelling but it's too much to handle sometimes!

6. Julz

Julz Victim

He's gotten back on his twitter, facebook, and instagram lately and it seems like he's doing well. i live in atlanta and he posted a picture that he was here filming and i literally ran as fast as i could to find him cuz i could see the background like everyone on the train thought i was crazy but when i got to the place he was at(the cnn center) they were really nice and like they said "if he's here he's in this room so you're gonna need to take the cnn tour" and i did with no luck in finding him. but he seems to be doing better. him and eric from csi miami i get super super attached too.

CSI_Forever likes this.
  7. JorjaFoxFan

JorjaFoxFan CSI Level One

I wasn't quite as shocked or saddened as I would have been had he died a few season earlier, however it was a weirdly emotional experience watching for For Gedda and For Warrick.

I think what got to me the most was how I was already feeling like the CSI I knew and loved was slowly slipping away (season 7 being the last "normal" season for me) and it was just surreal to watch an original character I'd been watching evolve for the last 8 seasons slip away so easily.

8. Julz

Julz Victim

His character just for some reason makes me feel less alone. I feel like him and I connect in a way.