Season 14 Spoiler Lab Discussion

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, Jun 1, 2013.

1. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Are we sure he was fired? I thought he quit due to his personal problems.

2. Leila_Tompkins

Leila_Tompkins Victim

No he was fired. He got in trouble for drugs in April of '08 and when it came time for contract renewal, CBS didn't renew his. CBS has never really explained why he was fired and his character killed off.

3. byline

byline CSI Level One

Just watched "Lucky Strike" from Season 3 on Spike (and "Crash and Burn" just started). I was reminded of exactly what you mentioned; the show used to be about the quirky cases, using forensic science to solve the mystery, and how the main characters responded to each case; that was what made CSI so interesting. (The writers also seem to have forgotten that Vegas figured as another character in the series.)

Now the powers that be appear to have let all of that go in favor of a far more predictable, soap opera-ish style of writing. It makes me wonder just how influential Billy Petersen was in keeping this ship on course ... and maybe he got tired of fighting a tsunami of interference on how others felt the show should be done. (Though how is it that Criminal Minds has, despite a few lapses, stayed so sharp? It's on the same network!) I keep wondering if they'll ever remember what made CSI so special, in the first place ... but I've pretty much lost hope.

4. JorjaFoxFan

JorjaFoxFan CSI Level One

This. This was CSI. This is why the characters were interesting. Sometimes the cases veered into feelings unrelated to cases, like Greg having a crush on Sara, etc. but it never deferred from the case and the emotion of the episode, so even if people didn't ship a pairing... it didn't matter. Those scenes were few and far between and subtle at that.

CSI has always been quirky but never has it been so unbelievable, IMO. The focus on Henry and Hodges; while Nick(especially), Greg, Brass and Sara ultimately get diminished story arcs (although S13 did give Sara her fair share) just isn't fair. I don't understand it. I don't care who Hodges dates. I enjoyed when he flirted with Wendy, but Wendy is gone now. I used to love GSR but it's barely even holding on anymore and it's not the believable relationship it used to be.

I just... wish they'd go back to focusing on cool ideas for cases and let the characters develope around the methods involved in solving that case.

I know I'll never truly be happy with the show again because for me CSI is Grissom, Catherine, Sara, Nick, and Warrick. However long-time loyal fans shouldn't be this disappointed.

/rant, sorry.

5. mirdaishan

mirdaishan Hit and Run

Maybe it's just their way of trying to bring CSI to a bigger audience. That more people will like the show when there's personal things / love story lines involved instead of just cases.

I know that's not how CSI started, that it really started as a show about forensic science, but it's just a thought that crossed my mind!

6. JorjaFoxFan

^oh, I totally agree with that, I just don't agree with it.

Does anybody know when we can expect a promo for S14?

7. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Press release:

8. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

NOOOOOO! He's my reason for watching at this point. :scream: :(

George Eads Taking Leave of Absence From 'CSI' After Writer Fight (Exclusive)

Well, he's always said you have to be willing to fight for the integrity of your character. :(

Susan

9. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

It's BS. George finally got to the point that his fans did and couldn't take the ridiculousness of the writing anymore. I hope he leaves for good because the show is not worth hanging around for anymore. If they treated me like this at my job I'd say screw 'em and leave.

10. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Wow. This is a shocker. I hope it doesn't really end this abruptly for Nick and his fans. But, as a GSR fan I can certainly relate, since I've been kicked to the curb rather abruptly as well. It certainly is sad to see the show go down like this for its fans.

Follow your heart, and best of luck to you, George!

11. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Carol is to blame for all of this. George has been a cheerleader for the show and she has done nothing, but treated him like crap.

And now he'll miss the 300th episode. Well guess it was going to be crap in the first place.

The writers they have now are crap and have written crappy stuff.

Good for George to stand up for the integrity of his character.

I don't think he'll come back and I highly doubt they'll be happy for him to return.

So us fans and Nick fans will get no closure.

George not on the show means I WILL NOT WATCH ANY EPISODES THAT HE'S NOT ON!!!!

And jafox, thanks for your post and support for George. :)

12. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

In thinking about story line(s) for Nick that they've mentioned lately...

I wonder if it has anything to do with the often mentioned (especially lately) "dangerous" relationship that they want to put Nick into. It would be out of character for Nick and the total opposite of the type of relationship that George has said he'd want Nick in.

I'm glad George isn't going to let them do something he doesn't feel is in character for Nick. I'm glad he isn't going to let them ruin Nick! :bolian:

Susan

13. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Amen, Blackflag, amen!

Greg fans can rejoice. He should get more screen time now.

14. JorjaFoxFan

The only thing that surprises me about this news, is that it didn't occur sooner. Nick has been quintessential to this show from the beginning, and as soon as Warrick left his character has been kicked to the side to fill the space of just another CSI. He's been around since the beginning, and while the earlier episodes gave an even amount of personal story to all of its main characters, the later seasons have completely halted Nick's development.
    It's a disappointment and not at all fair to George Eads as an actor.

It's at a point where I seriously question whether the writers, producers, everyone involved with this show realize the declination in quality. The character's aren't treated equally or fairly anymore; I simply DON'T CARE about Finn or her personal business, I'm getting tired of D.B.'s, and I'm at my limit with Morgan's daddy issues. The cases are downright unbelievable and repetative and somehow seem to mesh into every character's personal life (which ends up overpowering the episodes), instead of the cases shaping the character as with the old episodes.

It's difficult to recall season 7 and prior, when I was actually excited to tune in every week..

15. Crumbs

Crumbs Police Officer

The sensationalism in that news article is an absolute joke, as if the fact the writer is pregnant has anything to do with this story, it's almost as if they're painting Eads to be a bad guy. I mean, how dare he have words with the vulnerable pregnant woman! :rolleyes:

Good on you George to stand up for a character you've devoted fourteen years of your life to playing! I'm interested to know whether this has been more of an ongoing situation or whether it's come about in the last few weeks. Judging by a few comments I remember him saying a little while ago in an interview about the writing being a bit 'kooky' I'm going to guess the former. I'm gutted that he's going to miss the 300th (as well as the first part of the season) but I think that fully emphasizes his dedication to maintaining the integrity of his character to miss such a landmark episode and I hope his coworkers (both cast and crew) are giving him as much support as they can given their predicament.

The entire CSI online community are standing alongside George's fans in full support of his actions and reasoning. Don't give them a reason not to.