Wallace/Hodges: Full Experience #3

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by mrb105, May 10, 2007.

1. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Hi Felidae! Welcome to the boards! You're sure to find a Hodges fan or two around here, especially my fine and talented co-mod, DJ! :lol:

One thing we do ask tho is that ship talk in threads is limited to what is canon and/or episode specific in which case it goes in the episode thread. You can read more about some of the guidelines in the Help Thread here.

Ships can be discussed freely in the Shipper Forum. I know there is a Wendy/Hodges thread. I didn't see a thread there for Morgan and Hodges, but feel free to start one. :)

2. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

I too will say welcome. :)

Like Smokey said, there is a thread over in the shipping forum for Wendy and Hodges, but I know its not been active for a good while. Yer gonna have to search for it and I have yet to see one for Morgan/Hodges.

If you wanna talk Hodges/Wally...I will always be up for some chit chat. :) Don't be shy (but please keep it clean for the site is PG :lol:). I love the character and the actor.

3. Felidae5

Felidae5 Dead on Arrival

*blush*Since my previous post got sucked into hyperspace, I'll just say thanks again for the warm and hearty welcome, as well as the reminder on the d's & d's. I still have to find my way around this place, so thanks in advance for being patient with lil' ole me.

@DJ: yayyy, a fellow Wallace-fan-girl! Ca we agree, that the man is totally underrated and overlooked as an actor? I mean, you can throw him the most embarrassing scene, the dumbest script and least liked character, and he'll pull it through flawlessly, no matter what.
    What amazes me most is the sheer amount of facial expressions he has down to a iota.
    One cocked brow covers the entire range from "Oh, please" over "I'm trying very hard not to laugh, here" to "I'm not going there" and "Hell~oo, pretty!"
    Plus, his voice doesn't hurt either. A nicely balanced tenor with enough baritone if he needs to play it sensual as well as a few high notes in case the script requires a squeal.:drool::luvlove:*sigh* I could listen to him talk all day long...:adore:

Btt; in all honesty, I don't like the way they've taken to treat Hodges the past couple of seasons. One time, he's fully integrated, the next, everybody gets to use him as a doormat. I know, occasional alienation can be fun, but the writers are really trying to reawaken a decomposed horse. The whole 'let's-bash-Hodges-for-the-fun-of-it'-routine has become a running gag that makes you want to run and gag.
    If I didn't know it better, I would assume, tptb are trying to make people hate David for one reason or another
    The again, that's just my two cents. I still like him, no matter what.

Felidae

4. PalmTree

PalmTree Police Officer

Well, Tptb are not famous for their outstanding continuity concerning Hodges ;) and to be honest I've given up hope
    that there will be ever... In the meantime I just watch the episodes....waiting for better days :)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  5. Felidae5

Felidae5 Dead on Arrival

As a fellow Hodges-fan commented not long ago, obviously the writers dropped the Etch-a-Sketches they replaced their laptops with, but went with what was left on the screen, anyway.
    Actually, I sometimes wonder if the ones who are handling David Hodges' story used to formerly work for Marvel. It would figure; two dozen or so unfinished story lines, a character who seems to be doomed to first evolve and then fall back to his initial character flaws and quirks, re-socialize and be alienated again...
    You must hand it to Wallace; if I had to put up with that kind of script I would have screamed bloody murder years ago.
    But, as you said, all we can do is watch the episodes, cross our fingers and dream on...

Felidae

6. GSR GR

GSR GR Prime Suspect

I find Hodges very likable but he's unfortunately being used by most of the other characters. He has potential, can be both funny and serious, I don't remember him ever making a mistake or a poor guess in the lab, he cares about others, but nobody really pays attention to him. Now Morgan takes advantage of him too. He's been on the show for so long that he deserves better treatment from the writers.

7. Felidae5

Felidae5 Dead on Arrival

My sentiments exactly; the writers have more and more come to see him as a laughing stock than an actual character and person. Whenever there's a cheap joke or awkward moment, it almost always involves Hodges getting the short end of the stick.
    Which is very disheartening, considering that after Wendy left, he was so depressed that even Sara and Greg(whom one really cannot consider his friends) opted for him to hit the town. No four episodes later, Greg's being a jerk, Sara mean -and don't even get me started on Mandy. She always had a chip on her shoulder, where David Hodges was concerned, but now she's gone from resentful to downright cruel. Plus, what's the deal with Nick? One moment, they're buddy-buddy, the next, the Texan finds it funny to pointedly ignore and ridicule our poor trace tech. Seriously, it just makes you want to go ugh!
    There's only so much humiliation an alienation a person can take. Having David take this kind of verbal abuse whilst portraying him as an attention seeker just proves that the writers/producers have no idea really how much potential this character actually has.
    Again, hats off to Wallace for putting up with all this. Most actors would have long ago told TPTB to take a long walk off a short pier and left. Instead, Mr. Langham takes it all in stride and tries his best to turn it into something good.
    For which we all are and will be forever grateful.

Felidae

8. riddick

riddick Rookie

I gave upon this show about two years ago. I came back just to see how Hodges is doing, because no matter what, I really love him and Wally. I might have to agree with Felidae.
    Basically I've found the same situation I left: a great character totally underwritten in order to highlight other characters who are supposed to be cool -and they are not. TPTB uses Hodges like some sort of punginball, while I see him as the character most endowed with umanity of the whole show. BTW the whole Brody thing is nonsense, to say the least. It will end up with Hodges used and rejected once more, if anybody finds that funny anymore.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  9. PalmTree

PalmTree Police Officer

Actually I'm a bit in wonder where they want to take them...I think it would have been nice to see a real friendship between hodges and morgan, the brotherly/sisterly kind of friendship...talking about their parents dating over breakfast..she was already referring to him for being her best friend... So why the awkward kiss?..why let Finn ask if they're doing it? Though for once I was totally agreeing with her, when she was describing hodges.."funny, charming, smart...an awkward jimmy stewart..(something like that :cool:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  10. riddick

riddick Rookie

"Funny, charming, smart..He's like an awkard Jimmy Stewart." In a word: classy.
    Must be definitely her kind of guy considering her unspeakable past with DB.:devil:

Yes, the whole kiss thing should tell us something, were CSI a show where consistency matters.

I'm still wondering what could have happened in Italy to Hodges...Spiritual or faith crisis? He's always been depicted lika a fierce agnostic if not an atheist at all.

11. PalmTree

PalmTree Police Officer

Thnx for the exact words...:)
    And as you already mentioned..."were csi a show where consistency matters.." I guess Italy will disappear in the non existing lake of continuity...

12. Felidae5

Felidae5 Dead on Arrival

My sentiments exactly; it's not that I don't like Morgan(I know her too little to judge) but..I dunno..she makes David look like a cradle robber. Which he isn't. So far all the women Hodges had an eye set upon one way or another were fierce, self-supportive, strong, independent women with a mind of their own and the mouth to speak it out loud(Sara, Wendy, in some way even Jacqui Franco and Catherine). Morgan is just a little too..soft, for lack of a better world. The brother/sister/best friend-thing would be the perfect way to let their relationship evolve.
    As for the other characters; Greg stopped being funny around season eight. Like sugar in a pan that goes from caramel to being burnt he went from quirky to bitter. His jokes and quips now are reduced to insults directed towards Hodges. And Nick -don't get me wrong, I love the guy almost as much as David- is..I don't know how to describe it..somewhat..unbalanced. Most of the times he's everybody's fav sweet Texan, next he pulls out the 'mob boss' attitude(facepalm ahoi!), then he's being broody, then mopey, chipper...Sara is, well, Sara, Henry is repeatedly stepping into jerk territory, where David is concerned, Mandy's turned into the witch of the west, Archie is gratefully still Archie and Bobby is so rarely seen, one could almost forget that he still exists.
    The new supervisors merely register Hodges as an annoying, but dedicated worker. Even if Finn is too much tongue-in-cheek for her own good.

Overall, the writers have spent the past to seasons gradually disappointing me, and not only where David Hodges is concerned. Maybe the producers should consider some fresh blood with a little more common sense, if they want to bring CSI back to its former glory,

Felidae

13. riddick

riddick Rookie

Well it seems we finally get to know what happened in Italy. I have mixed feelings about this, really don't know what to wish for. I really want TPTB no to use him as a humiliated comic relief once again, it would be pathetic. Greencard set-up would be totally predictable and I wonder what that would lead Hodges afterwards.

Meanwhile, I drowned myself into Wedges memories. Never a good idea XD

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2012
  14. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Please remember to use spoiler tags when posting about upcoming episodes or plots. Thanks! :)

15. riddick

riddick Rookie

Sorry, I'll be more careful! Thanks for editing.:thumbsup: