Eric/Greg: Leggo Our Greggo Thread #17

Thar review really summed up my thoughts too on how Greg has grown up.

I do think the scenes about the DNA would still have been Greg scenes if Nick had been on the show. I still think the whole genealogy thing really is more suited to Greg than with it would have been with Nick too.

I wonder if we would have gotten a Gregisode this season if it wasn't for this one. :(

I would think the DNA parts would have been Greg, but then again I also thought the genealogy would have been Greg too so I don't know

That is a good question :shifty:

Well Greg is the DNA expert. I can't see Nick helping Henry out with that stuff...so those scenes had to belong to him.

Haven't been able to get online until now, but watched the ep on thursday and I LOVED it :D

From Interview: Liz Divine

CSI Files: How many drafts did your script go through due to the cast changes in this episode?
Devine: That was, I guess, the hardest part. I was told initially that Jorja [Fox, Sara Sidle] would not be in the episode, that Ted [Danson, DB Russell] and Marg [Helgenberger, Catherine Willows] would be light; so I thought ‘well, okay, that’s fine.’ We have such a great cast we can always focus on someone else. But at the very last minute George Eads [Nick Stokes] had a family emergency, so the night before we started shooting we did have to rewrite the whole show. That was kind of stressful. [Laughs.] And because there was personal geneology information from a character’s standpoint, I had to do a lot of research at the last minute to get the Norwegian backstory as opposed to what I had for Nick. There wasn’t just dialogue changes for the characters, it was some major geneology stuff that I had to find at the very last minute, but that’s kind of the fun part. I was sad to not have George, but things happens and we’re a family here and supported whatever had to be done on his end. We knew Eric Szmanda [Greg Sanders] would step up to the plate, which he did fabulously.
CSI Files: So your first draft had Nick working with all of the geneology information?
Devine: Yes.

This reminds me of the case with Gum Drops

Glad it worked out the way it did, I just don't see Nick being interested in geneology, I mean he's never had any interest in history or that I can remember of, Greg is the history guy :)

I agree, the storyline was so perfect for Greg that I can't believe they even considered giving it to Nick!

ETA: Found this Review from Daemon's TV

In all seriousness, it was a good episode, despite the lack of Nick and Sara, and the one minute of screen time given to Catherine. Greg took center stage, and after eleven years, he’s earned it. I had a thought while watching him lead us into the credits with a line that would have made Gil Grissom proud…out of all the characters still on the show (because I think the ultimate title for this goes to Grissom himself), Greg has changed the most.
He started off as a slightly obnoxious, but utterly adorable lab puppy, smart as hell, but naive and nerdy, always trying just a touch too hard. He became a CSI; he got beat-up by a group of thugs and had to kill one of them; he survived the humiliation of a civil trial; he watched his mentors disappear, one by one. Over the past few years, perhaps owing to the decreased presence of the older characters, but also perhaps owing to the fact that he’s earned his stripes, he’s been allowed to grow up. No longer does he hang on anyone’s coat tails…now he’s at crime scenes, schooling police officers about jumping to conclusions. And while I realize that these are fictional characters, not actual people, I was proud of him in that moment, too

What an excellent review, couldn't have put it better myself :)

So now we know we only got this Gregesode because George Eads had to pull out, due to the death of his father. That is sad.

Yeah, that kinda put a dampner on my enthusiasm for the episode. Eric should be NO ONE'S second choice. Says something, doesn't it, that he was only given the chance to be lead because no one else was available. I really hope that this has allowed the producers/writers to realise that, hey, he's just as capable as any of the "main" cast, especially having to hit the ground running at the last minute, and that they share the sentiments of our new friend Liv - and write an episode especially for him next time. :)

I'd also like to offer my sincere condolences to the Eads family xx

Yeah, that kinda put a dampner on my enthusiasm for the episode. Eric should be NO ONE'S second choice. Says something, doesn't it, that he was only given the chance to be lead because no one else was available. I really hope that this has allowed the producers/writers to realise that, hey, he's just as capable as any of the "main" cast, especially having to hit the ground running at the last minute, and that they share the sentiments of our new friend Liv - and write an episode especially for him next time. :)

Agreed! I feel this was definitely Eric's strongest episode with regards to acting and I sincerely hope the show utilises him more. He's always been my favourite and I've always really liked him, but this was the first episode that I felt huge admiration and respect (on a level with the other more senior CSI's) for his role as a CSI (if that makes any sense). And we got Sanders family history! Finally! :bolian:

well said you guys :bolian:, I couldn't agree with you more :D!!!
well, it was still a good episode for Greg, nonetheless and Eric did an awesome job, so let's keep our fingers crossed, maybe they will use him more!

Happy Hannukah/Merry-almost-Christmas/which-ever-religion-you-are btw!!!:hugegrin::angel:!!!

Last edited:
I doubt she will post pics. :( We got his one little bit of French in that Season 4 episode with the wine glass. :lol:

Back