Elisabeth Shue Replaces Marg Helgenberger

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by vegaslights, Nov 18, 2011.

1. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

The whole "DB fired her when she worked for him in Seattle" thing is kind of dumb. I mean, if someone fired you in one city, why would you go to another city and work for THE SAME PERSON? That makes no sense whatsoever to me. :shrugs: My guess is that her CSI level will be the same as Cath's. I don't know if Cath was demoted to assistant supervisor or CSI 3.

2. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

TPTB have yet to clarify if Nick is still Asst. Supervisor or was demoted and what level Cath is at. Proably CSI Level 3.

I don't know why they just can't confirm it one way or another. :rolleyes:

The show definitely has a more ensemble feel to it, but the screen time is not balanced. It's back to the way it was in the Grissom era. Not every characters has had their moment to shine yet and probably won't now.

Again, I like Elizabeth and think she'll fit in, but I'm not ready for another new character and not another lead. Still don't think they need one. Especially if she isn't going to be in charge.

What's the point? Grissom was in charge and Cath was always his 'right-hand man' (even if she wasn't a supervisor), so I hope this doesn't turn into another Langston deal. :rolleyes:

3. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

This is probably a dumb question, but could it be that DB isn't the one who hires her? Could the hiring decision be made higher up the food chain so DB doesn't have a choice but to work with her?

4. GregNickRyanFan

I still think they should have waited until NEXT season to intro a new character. Why is there a need to replace Marg this quickly?

And yeah, the unclarification of Nick's status on the team and Cath's is annoying. Just say if Nick or Cath is assistant or if neither. Yeesh! How hard is that, ptb?

That's entirely possible. Ecklie was the one the rehire Sara, so he may be the one who hires Elizabeth Shue's character. That's not what I was talking about though because I didn't consider DB doing the hiring. What I was talking about was this new character... if she is aware before taking this job that DB will once again be her boss ... and if he did fire her before, why would SHE want to work for him again? I mean, if it were me, I'd be afraid he'd fire me again LOL.

5. aaronfalin

aaronfalin Dead on Arrival

exactly what I was thinking. Guess my petition for Lady Heather was a little too late :( I'll try not to pass judgement til I see how she meshes, but why a Leading Lady? why not a csi 1/2 and not bump Nick again? This is like the third time he's been passed over... not to mention Sara was vying for a promotion at one time.

6. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

Being someone who didn't want a replacement to begin with my initial opinion is 'so what'. :( I had hoped that they would at least wait until the start of next season (if their is a next season and there are some people who don't think there will be) before introducing someone new. They don't have that good a record at introducing someone new mid-season. Just look at season 9 - Riley didn't last past season 9 and there's much about the next 2 seasons that a lot of us would like to forget. :(

Susan

7. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

That sounds likely, but it also sounds like a way to make more tension in the lab, and who needs that? I know it may not be as "interesting" without it, but I've really enjoyed the normalcy after the whole Ray business.

8. GregNickRyanFan

If he did fire her before, it could be due to her anger issues. And if she's gone to anger management classes and he is the one to hire her in Vegas (it'll probably be Ecklie though), maybe its because he knows she took steps to work on her issues and being the kind of guy he is, he wants to give her a second chance. I'm fine with that if they have a heart to heart about it and come to some kind of understanding about it... but I'd be too nervous to work for someone who fired me earlier LOL.

9. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

It depends on how it plays out. I've never thought tension is always a bad thing. And they may decide to have them be professional toward each other, too, even though it may be someone besides DB who hires her.

ETA: The idea of DB hiring her back because she's gone to anger management is an intriguing idea, too.

10. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

If this was the last season of CSI, CBS wouldn't have hired big names like Elisabeth and Ted and they also would have made some sort of deal to keep Marg on for the remainder of the run. CSI, whether people believe it or not, will be around much, much longer. While viewership is down in the USA, it's still a lucrative deal for CBS to keep it because of how well it does overseas; it's the most watched show in the world.

I understand people are a bit skeptical of bringing in someone new, but I also remember the same thing happening this past summer with Ted Danson. Look at where we are now. Yes, there's a lot of questions to ask right now but I believe we shouldn't get too upset about it. Let's see how things play out.

Also, according to Carol Mendelsohn, she'll be joining in Episode 14.

11. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

DB seems pretty forgiving, so he probably will okay her hiring, maybe with a probationary period.

I think they are trying to recreate the co-lead dynamic of Grissom and Willows. 'Friends with boundaries' in a close work environment. She will have her issues and her affairs, while DB remains steady. He'll probably be appalled at her life style, there will be some tension along with banter at work and, ultimately they will become close friends.
    Catherine came with her own baggage in the beginning as well, and we all know Sara had hers along with her history with Grissom. Shue's character sounds like she may be a combination of the two. :lol:

I'm actually looking forward to seeing her on the show. We'll see how it turns out. I think she's respected enough and has enough of a fan base to help the ratings. Maybe.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  12. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

I really can't say whether I am happy with this choice or not. I have only seen Elizabeth in one movie, "Cocktail". The movie was a 1987 bomb with Tom Cruise, however, very popular with young girls of my age. In that movie her acting skills are not great, but it might have been the movie and it was over 20 years ago. So I am gonna give her a chance and see what I think from there.

13. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

Well if they insist on replacing Marg I think Elizabeth is a good choice, I have always like her movies. As long as it remains as it has been so far this season, the writers remembering that this is an ensemble cast (something they forget when LF was on board) with well balanced screen time I am fine with it.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  14. LaSquisita

LaSquisita Rookie

Elizabeth Shue is about 3 1/2 years older than George Eads, so she might help some with keeping the older men, younger women ratio in balance. :)
    LaSquisita

15. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Wow, Elisabeth Shue...never saw that one coming but I've always liked her. I wish they would have given us a couple episodes before they brought another new person in. As long as they keep the pretty decent balance they have going so far this season of everyone, I'll be able to deal. As long as it does not turn in the last 3 seasons... :eek: