Grade 'Officer Involved'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 14, 2011.

?

How would you grade Officer Involved?

1. A+

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. A

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  3. A-

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. B+

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. B

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. B-

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  7. C+

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  9. C-

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  13. F

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

Sad to say but I agree with you on the season so far. Sometimes, a show can stay on the air a year or too long...I hope that won't be the case with CSI NY.

2. JoeyDC

JoeyDC Rookie

You have said it all!

I'm so disappointed about how this episode turned out that I just can't find the right words to explain my feelings. Furthermore, I'm tired about "criticizing" a TV show that has lost all of its quality and writers continue to just not care and so I won't care anymore either. I can't understand how some people keep on raving about CSI: NY and how talented the writers are, what great story lines bla bla bla... when all the plot holes and convenient shortcuts couldn't be more obvious.

F

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  3. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

It's a fair question, but my response doesn't change much.

I don't like Lindsay, but that's rather beside the point. I didn't like the episode, nor Lindsay and Danny as devices in service of the story NY decided to tell - which I also didn't like. The first scene was just the first symptom of what came to fruition.

I think it was fine & entirely appropriate for Lindsay to be supportive, and had roles been inverse, I expect support would have been shown by Danny for Lindsay as well.

To be more specific: Had the situation been reversed, and had Danny demonstrated his support in a manner similar to how Lindsay did in that scene, I would have equally read it as him stomping heavily on toes and being a bit of a dick, despite understanding what his best intentions and emotions were, and the heightened stress coloring things. My take on the scenario certainly would go both ways.

I didn't enjoy how that support was shown by Lindsay, nor what it signaled for the episode & Messer's character, and I think the latter is my main beef. Her actions and motivations were understandable, sure. How they came across (IMO): a controlling personality not at all trusting Messer not to make things worse by opening his mouth.

Either he has grown and progressed, or he hasn't. He's either still an impetuous hothead wearing his heart on his sleeve, being restrained by his more level headed spouse & colleague, or he is in fact as responsible as the show repeatedly made a point of telling us he now is, and he's capable of speaking for himself. Mac seemed to think he was; Lindsay did not (although I expect it was supposed to read that Lindsay was scared for him & therefore protective in the extreme; it unfortunately also read that she's still holding onto his cojones for safe keeping, and that he either doesn't mind, or doesn't know).

Separate again from not enjoying the timbre of Lindsay's demonstrated support was that I didn't like how Danny seemed to do so little to support himself. Considering the calm defiance of the rookies, that he was superior to, in that same first sequence, let alone Lindsay, made for an unpalatable contrast, and sinking hopes for Messer within the arc supposedly about him. That scene also seemed to take focus and a sense of participation or outright presence from Messer and gave it to Lindsay instead. It never really returned to Danny, despite his later scenes.

I also think Lindsay was given several opportunities to demonstrate her support for Danny thru the episode. So, yet again, I don't really see it as an issue of what was "better" for her character. The problem I have is that the arc didn't do as much as I'd hoped for that of Danny. He lost ground in this arc, and I'm utterly perplexed.

The scene was frustrating because it was the first suggestion that the last episode of Messer being a sergeant was really not going to involve him much. It could have been Lindsay speaking to Danny directly, "it's better not to say anything," rather than by-passing him completely. They could have given him that much, while still giving Lindsay that moment of support and authority.

It was also frustrating because it indicated from the get-go that the story & resolution would rely primarily on DL, whereas I had still held some hope it might reach beyond the insular focus of a canon ship. This episode essentially began and ended with DL. I was intensely disappointed in how NY wrote all this. I didn't think it was possible for Danny to actually fade further as a character on this damned show.

So, no, I'm not saying Lindsay should not have been involved. I believe I would comment on any scenario indicating that others were speaking on her behalf while she was denied the opportunity to do the same, should she somehow not be treated with equal consideration. Lindsay typically gets reaffirmation, however, rather than denigration, within episodes. She did again in this one, complete to Adler commenting on her.

Messer the utility guy has always been the screw up, but he usually has something to say about his circumstances one way or another. The contrast of boldness for Lindsay and impotence of Messer so sapped a lot of the undercurrent energy that should have been present for me as well.

I'm saying I at least wanted to see more of Danny thru this, more of his old fire, more of his journey, or hell, anything at all. Shutting down his involvement so early in that scene effectively nullified anticipating anything of substance for the remainder of the episode. Not a good way to keep this wee little viewer interested.

Little moment, big, integrated impact; it was the first sign of things to come, which were ultimately borne out.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  4. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Oh I'm not saying I don't agree with what was said about her behavior in the Ruben situation. I'm just saying that I prefer this behavior (more involved, etc) than how she dealt with Danny that time. She was very detached and cold and this time at least it was known she cares enough to step up.

5. Bellemaria

Bellemaria Prime Suspect

This eppi is good and I knew it from the very beginning - this "Danny-Cooper friendship-partnership or whatever" will wind up bad. This girl seemed no good.
    But this is Danny? Again? If crap happens to someone of the team it's always Danny:confused:
    In Miami it's always Eric. I wonder if there's a chew toy in Las Vegas?

6. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I'm very curious as to why she seemed "no good?" To me she was just a typical rookie cop. She and Danny had a nice exchange in the previous episode where they came to an understanding about their relationship as Sgt. and rookie and they both seemed to have respect for the other. What made her seem like she'd end up being "no good?"

7. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

One thing I hope they don't do is turn CSI NY into the Lindsey and Danny show...this is a crime show, not a soap opera.

8. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

oh, i think it's been the case for *at least* 2 seasons.

haha, yeah, try telling them that... :lol::lol:

9. Zipster

Zipster Witness

I enjoyed it, but it was a bit of a "cop"-out if you'll pardon the pun :guffaw:

Clearly they wanted Danny back in the lab, but this episode just seemed a bit too contrived. I liked Lindsey's interaction and I hope we see more of IAB - I personally like the actor very much.

Overall, C- not a bad effort.

Totally agree with previous poster. What happened to Sheldon lately, he seems to have regressed...

10. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Oh, I definitely agree that Danny was completely passive in this episode, and that it was bothersome that we saw no emotional reaction from him. For me, that was always the most interesting part of any given Danny episode--seeing how he reacted emotionally. The character has been done no favors by being yoked to Lindsay, because while it's strengthened her as a character, it's done the opposite for him. I just didn't have any issues with Lindsay's behavior in that scene--or her behavior at all in the episode. I'd expect her to be defensive/protective of him.

11. PerfectAnomaly

After reading this I admit I'm most likely projecting my frustration at Danny's story not being about Danny and Danny's OOC behavior in the episode onto Lindsay. But that's a large part of what's wrong with the character of Lindsay. In order to try and make her look good they have to make the other characters OOC and/or look stupid. That, plus Anna's acting, has made me not very objective about the character over the years. I'm just to the point where I'm really not going to give her the benefit of the doubt even if she may deserve it. That may not be fair, but after 5+ seasons (I actually liked her in S2) of a mostly annoying and worthless character it's really hard to find the positive.

12. Bellemaria

Bellemaria Prime Suspect

OK, I'll try to explain:)
    Maybe it's just me, but I didn't like her at a first sight. The way she looks at Danny, the way she talks to him and, finally, her invitation to have a beer together. Well, it's not inappropriate to have a couple of drinks with your colleage after work but... actually I thought this "nice exchange" will turn into affaire or, at least, she tried to kiss him or something like that. In spite she knew he's married and has a kid.
    Maybe I'm seeing things:)

13. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

You're not alone in that. She set off my (for lack of a better phrase) "spidey senses" from the get go. It was just a vibe I got from her... which considering how this turned out (I haven't finished watching the episode yet though - watching it right now) must mean the actress did her job well LOL.

Did I miss anything after Lindsay took Danny off the hospital away from IA guy and Sid and Mac were talking about "blood alcohol level"? My channel messed up for a bit in between those spots.

I didn't see anything wrong with Lindsay's scene with Adam. I didn't think she was being mean to him or anything. She seemed to be frustrated with the situation that Danny was dealing with, but it didn't seem to me like she was taking it out on Adam or anything.

OMG! A second case on NY? How long has it been since that has happened? :lol:

The scene with Adam, Mac and Jo was cute. "Do that again" and then Adam's look when Mac just walked off lol.

Very sneaky of Cooper to say "it wasn't his fault, he was trying to protect me" when she lies and says Danny told her to lie.

Oh cause a girl throwing an arm around a guy automatically means they're having sexy times together? :eyeroll: Jump to conclusions much, Mr. IA guy?

LOL at Flack's "blah blah blah" comment.

I like Lindsay's scene with Cooper. If it had been me, I would have tried to play on Cooper's heartstrings a little bit by mentioning Lucy directly... but apparently what Lindsay did say to her worked anyway lol because Cooper retracted her statment.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  14. PerfectAnomaly

If Cooper had asked Danny out for a beer and it was just the two of them then maybe I could see how people might think she had "designs" on Danny. But it was with a group of co-workers so I didn't see anything unusual about it. Married people go out with their co-workers without their spouses all the time. It doesn't mean they are going to have an affair.

I guess it seems like any woman (except Jo) who is not Lindsay and has contact with Danny is going to be looked at with suspicion and I just don't get that. Not every woman Danny comes in contact with has to be a "threat" to DL.

15. Brinchen

Brinchen Pathologist

What a great episode! I'm glad Danny is back at the lab. I prefer to see him working with the lab team. And I'm happy to see Lindsay so supportive of her husband. I love this side of her and it fits to her to confront Cooper like that. The episode gets an A+ from me.