Episode 10x2 - 'Stiff' - ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by FieldMouse, Oct 1, 2011.

1. miamirocks

miamirocks Lab Technician

Hey everyone!

Really liked the team interactions in tonights episode! :thumbsup: Nat and Ryan, Ryan & Walter, and the mention of Cal's dad had me going "YEA CONTINUITY!" :eek: - I thought TPTB forgot he existed. :lol:

The whole thing w/the hat was great - it meant something to the plot and scientifically explained something that turned out to be pivotal later on. I enjoyed the "rescue" as well - nothing like H trying to save his team. :bolian:

The humor in the episode was great - LOVED that they didn't end on H's intense stare, but on Ryan and Walter's banter. :lol: It still saddens me that H seems to be the only one who never smiles or banters anymore - the team should "get" him somehow in one of these shows - now THAT would be classic.

As for the case itself - it was kinda a take it or leave it plot to me - I felt like it was kinda recycled from Season 1's "Breathless" - anyone remember that episode (blast from the past, I know :p ) It felt kinda predictable (I kinda figured the guy hitting on Nat would figure into it). I will say that I usually like the moral messages at the end, and this was no exception, b/c they show how depravity breeds depravity, and how simple communication may not only have saved marriages and relationships, but also lives.

I'll also say that I did find the "gigilo" to be very attractive, and I don't just mean his physic - the actor did a good job of conveying his sensitivity and it had me wondering why he resorted to that line of work. Maybe it was just great income, but it seemed maybe he did want a relationships w/that girl at the end, but just couldn't break from his "line of work." It made me want to know more about the guy, but the plot itself was kinda eh.

I did like the actual science that was used, though I thought the "leather shoe" thing was quite a long shot. There was a good link w/the frost bitten toe, though - good save on that one! It definitely felt like a "procedural" this week, not an action movie - although we still had a running scene (though this time it was w/Nat - who was great in this ep, btw).

I LOVE how "normal" the team interaction was in this episode, and great sharing of screen time between all the CSIs. It's so fun to see banter between Ryan and Nat and Ryan and Walter, and even Eric and Ryan (he called Ryan "buddy" :lol: - love that!). That's why I loved this show in the beginning - the comoraderie between Speed and Eric, Calleigh and H, it was just a very family-oriented team, and it's good to see some of that back in this episode. Just wish the team could loosen H up a bit and help him deal w/his angst - maybe take him out for his birthday or something at the end of an episode.

Anyhow, I'd give this one a B+, if only b/c the plot was so predictable to me. Team interaction = A. :)

2. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Ok episode, not bad, not great.

Chris Angel :lol:. Loved Natalia, Walter, and Eric teasing Ryan.

One thing I liked about the episode was that there were three people arrested throughout the episode and not just the one killer. That was a bit different.

Eric got annoyed with snow globe lady :lol: "then you have nothing to worry about".

Death by snow globe :p that's sad. I know it was accelerated by the propane gas, but still.

A mention of Calleigh's dad and a childhood story, cool!!!! :)

B-

3. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I agree,the team interaction was one of things I liked in the earlier episodes,and it was great here.Enjoyed Walter and Ryan in the closing scene,you could tell Walter was really enjoying himself.The birthday idea is a good one,anything to get a little smile out of H.

4. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

Loved Ryan and Natalia both wearing green at the beginning.
    Poor Natalia. If I were her I'd switch Hummers with someone else on the team. Well, at least Joe was close by.
    Bust that damn cabana door down, H. That's my H.
    Oh, now you believe Ryan.
    Sick him H and Frank. Ooh Frank is wearing a green tie.
    Propane the lying S.O.B., H.
    You're in BIG trouble, Hector. Even if you didn't kill the guy.
    Enjoy jail, Hector.
    Ryan, you hot hunk, wear green more often. Makes you look younger and, if possible, even hotter.
    More green. Ms. Davis is wearing green. This is the green episode.
    Oh great. The murdered guy is wearing a shirt with green in it in the flashback.
    Seriously. Was this episode shot around St. Patrick's Day?
    Oh man. Joe is a gigolo? Dang! I was hoping Natalia might've found a boyfriend outside the lab.
    Where's Loman? He was there a few scenes back. I guess he's still at the triple he was paged to.
    :lol: LOL. Gigolo Joe.
    :scream: My eyes are starting to hurt from all this green.
    The housewife has green prints on her shirt. I'm SO getting sick of green.
    :eek: Her husband did it? Seriously, I'm shocked.
    :eek: :eek: Double shock. He didn't tamper with the fireplace.
    :wtf: Commercials?!?!?!
    I want to know who tampered with the fireplace...NOT commercials!!!
    OH...for crying out loud. Enough commercials!!! Get back to the show.
    ARGH!!! Commercial after commercial after commercial. Where's a gun? I wanna shoot the tv.
    I say the gas man H threatened to propane did it.
    :eek: Hector's daughter did it?!?!?! I seriously didn't see that coming.
    Yeah Hector. Like H said "I hope you're satisfied." That's what you get for using cheap, odorless gas, you cheapskate.
    It was funny, Ryan. Even if the fishing line was visible. :lol:

Next week: Tornadoes!!! Oh my.

Okay...back to this episode. What I said in last week's episode's thread is apparently holding. So far, this is turning out to be season 8, minus Jesse Cardoza. For me, right now, CSI: Miami is giving CSI: NY a serious butt kicking. But it's early in the 2011-2012 tv season. So I'm not gonna lose too much sleep over it...yet. If Miami is still kicking NY's butt after 10 episodes then I'll lose sleep over it. :lol:
    Seriously though, I loved this episode even with all the green. Like last week, I can't wait for the replay on ON DEMAND tonight after midnight.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  5. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Totally agree with this!!! Guess that's why I enjoyed it a bit more than the premier.

ETA: Forgot to mention all the green in the episode. Yep, we are back to really coordinated colors. Yep, back indeed.....

6. miamirocks

miamirocks Lab Technician

Well you know what they say - it's not easy being green...unless you're one of the really hot actors on CSI:Miami :drool: Maybe it's an early commercial/plug for the new Muppet Movie comin' out - I mean, Adam Rodriguez is gonna be on Sesame Street and Elmo & Cookie Monster did that Miami "spoof" recently - maybe it's a nod to good ol' Kermit the Frog :lol:

New Horatio one-liner: "It's time to play the music" - puts on sunglasses - "It's time to light the lights." YEAAAAA!

I would LOVE to see Kermit pop up at a crime scene in his reporter gear and start asking Horatio questions...

"Hi-ho, Kermit the Frog here...I'm with Miami-Dade Lieutenant Horatio Caine. Lieutenant, can you tell us anything about what's goin' on here?"

"I'm sorry, that's classified."

"Well, how about where you got those nifty-lookin' sunglasses? I could use a pair - can I try yours??"

WOW - now I'm really getting OT - sorry, I just saw the preview for the Muppet movie and ran w/this!

Back to the post - I LOVED Ryan's clothing, although I think he looks great in everything. I have to say I really admire how color-coordinated they are on Miami. So do you think the CSIs call each other before coming in and are like..."Hey, Nat, it's Ryan. What do you think about a blue T-shirt today...Oh, you're wearing green? That so goes with my eyes too! I'm in! Let's do it!" And Frank's on the three-way caller goin' - "Man, where the HELL did I put that green tie! Damn you guys!"

Of course, Cal's always wearin' black b/c she looks so good in it (as was mentioned in "Kill Zone"...) And Eric - well, he's rockin' in the light colors b/c he's usually w/H, who's also usually in the dark blue/black ensemble...Man, how did this turn into a post about fashion?? I can barely match my socks in the morning! :lol:

Sorry, guess I'm a little punchy - it's a bit late. Darn the football delay...:shifty: G'night!!

7. Theresa

Theresa Lab Technician

Agree with everything that has been said. Great episode mostly because of Ryan's hotness, cuteness, and playfulness. Loved the team interaction! I was briefly concerned that once again they had Calleigh coughing in a burning building. Thank goodness they didn't dwell on it too much and it was quickly resolved. Very happy with this episode, although nervous about the ratings tomorrow.

8. mjszud

mjszud Captain

If it weren't for Ryan, Natalia, & Walter, I would've been bored with this episode. They pretty much stole/saved it, IMO.

The husband's motive, the way he killed Derick with the snow globe, even down to the confrontation, was a complete rip-off of the movie Unfaithful. Gotta say I'm disappointed in TPTB for that one. I don't mind making similarities during an episode, but this one seemed a little too similar.

Despite that - thanks to the banter with R/N/W & the heavy doses of lab work, the episode was good & worth a repeat for me.

9. Country233

Country233 Police Officer

The victim is on The Bold and the Beautiful, and he looks better on the soap :) His character is named Owen Knight.

10. Country233

Country233 Police Officer

Yes, I watch CSI Miami to see Ryan and I really enjoy his story line about the hat. It was very cute. He also looked very hot in that green tshirt. It brought out his eyes.

Not-so-great-parts: The explosion scene was very lame and that they wouldn't have been more injured is far fetched. I am a CSI NY girl first and foremost, but Miami seems to go for the crazy stunts more. Not complaining exactly just difference between them I guess.

Caine irked me as usual. Does he really talk like that or whisper for effect?

11. spencerreidfan

spencerreidfan Police Officer

Yay - no delay here! Wish I could say the same for Eastern and Central timezones. You guys really seem to get "Stiffed" each week, which is BS. :evil:

Good episode. Not as engaging as the premiere, but of course I didn't expect that. I like the interaction between Ryan and Walter and Ryan and Natalia. Nice to see Calleigh back in the field. I was a little disappointed with the lack of Horatio screentime. :confused: It seems like they only gave him a few short scenes, a big difference from 10.01 and most of season 9. Hopefully the writers don't fall back into the same routine of having Horatio float by like a supporting player when David is supposed to be the lead.

I liked it, though. The combination of two killers plus the hotel manager being guilty of almost blowing up Calleigh and Eric (and his hotel) made for a lot of good twists.

12. Titaneers

Titaneers Victim

I like the members rotation for this episode... i think everyone had equal scenes with H having not as much as usual...
    overall it was just a typical episode... doesn't really add anything, even though the scene in the end was hilarious... Walter laughing to close out the episode is something we don't see much...
    i swear wolfe had of repetitiveness in this episode "it's not funny" "it's not funny" "it's not funny" "it's not funny" man he used that quote a lot...
    well i got news for you wolfe.... it IS funny :lol::guffaw::scream::rommie:

13. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

Likewise disappointed... thought someone might at least have asked how H was feeling. And, after the premiere, thought writers might have got the message that you waste David's talent at your peril. But, overall, quite enjoyed what was quite a light-hearted episode.

14. Rizzoli

Rizzoli Lab Technician

A few comments:

-Walter, Natalia, and Ryan made this episode.
    -Calleigh in a fire. AGAIN? Really. I got scared when she started coughing, especially with her bad lungs.
    -SuperH is back. YAY :D
    -Gigolos! - All I could think throughout this episode is of that scene from NCIS when Tony and Kate are assigned to protect Mrs. Mallard and she thinks he's an "Italian Gigolo Furniture Mover" xD

Not as good as season premiere, but I enjoyed this episode :D

15. Hollyyo

Hollyyo CSI Level Two

I had a 22 minute delay. It was annoying because I was hoping to go to bed at 10 because I've had a really busy weekend, but oh well. I agree with mjszud, the team interaction and stuff was the only thing interesting about the episode. I didn't really like the storyline. But the team stuff totally made up for it.
    I'm starting to LOVE ryan/natalia scenes. I feel like there's a closeness between them. I've felt that way about Ryan and Calleigh too but they're never in a scene together bc of the "relationship" disaster.
    I like the use of the hat in last night's episode too. Did anyone else jump when walter snuck up on Ryan? I guess I was too preoccupied with Togo's hotness to notice Omar behind him lol!! My dog jumped when I yelped. I felt like a loser.
    I loved every scene with Ryan and Walter. They are sooo funny together. I tweeted Omar about it and he retweeted me! :)
    I'm tired of Calleigh being in fires. As soon as it exploded I was like, "lemme guess. She's going to cough." Sure enough..
    But Natalia had a chase scene!!!!!! :)

The promo for next week freaked me out. Watching tornado stuff still wigs out a lot of people where I live. But I'm sooo anticipating that episode. It looks like it will be crazy intense for Ryan.