Mac/Jo: Making good first impressions

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by PerfectAnomaly, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Ollie

Ollie Hit and Run

I can't believe I haven't written a single word in this thread yet! This is just outrageous! :lol:

For starters, I am for sure a shipper, but a sane one. I definitely find it enjoyable to watch characters getting closer and closer, chemistry and tension are always most welcome. But if I think that the writers are going too far, or in a wrong direction, or that their focusing on possible or already existing ship harms the show itself, I always say it.

I was prepared for some flirting, chemistry and tension before s7, due to my strong belief that Sela Ward can flirt with anyone who's her partner and does it on every show she's in. And I def. got it, starting from "The 34th Floor". Jo seems to have an interesting dynamic with every team member and she's naturally fliratious with every guy around her.

(At the beginning, though, I wasn't exactly sure if her ultimate "target" ;) would be Flack or Mac but I think the more time passed by, the clearer the answer for this question was.)

I enjoyed watching Mac being not so sure (finally!) around her, not knowing what how to react to her playfulness. Their scenes soon became those I was looking for (not only, ofc.). Bringing Jo gave me a chance to take a break from angsty Mac I do not like to see (I like Mac way too much to enjoy watching him like this); she introduced me to Mac who's smiling, relaxed, not working he's head off. I think I could love her for that (if only I haven't been already in love with her for all she is and does).

So, I'm not exactly sure where this whole thing went out of control. :rolleyes: One minute I was like "Okay, I like them together A LOT" and then I found myself in a state shortly described as: "WHERE are they? I need them on my screen NOW". :lol:

Okay, I don't want to sound like a crazy, obsessed teen. I am far from that. But I'm not gonna lie either: as much as sanity is my most recognizable feature (wow, that sounds way to posh!), I am helpless in a battle with Jo/Mac thing. And it's not only the flirting I like, obviously. I think they got really close through this whole season, I enjoyed their "open ups", both on Jo's and Mac's side. Well, I like pretty much everything about them.

I don't like this whole idea of giving everyone a love affair but I have to be truthful with myself: I think Jo and Mac have nice prospects here. If only written in right way, they could work.

Okay, I could go much longer with this, pointing out my favourite moments and discussing every scene they shared, but I'm not sure if anyone is actually reading this thread or is willing to talk. But if someone is... Well, I am always ready. ;)

2. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

I am looking forward to learning more about Jo this season. I love the character. She is a stronger version of me. Maybe that is why I feel a connection to her. If I could just be stronger like her. On a side note: does anyone know where they get the fabulous necklaces she wears? I love them.

3. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I am kind of scared about the spoiler that talks about Mac's new love interest. I really want her to be Jo and I don't know if the writers will go down that route. There was Peyton and the doctor who's name escapes me right now when I wanted him with Stella and now that I want him with Jo I don't want to have yet another name come in. I think they are great together and that she brings out a really great side of him, so here's to hoping that the lady he will be pursuing is indeed Jo :)

4. Axatullux

Axatullux Lab Technician

To be honest, I actually would like Mac to go with someone far outside the crime lab, such as a teacher, a professor, a scientist (Astronomer or meterologist), or even a Senator (Not real-life one's obviously :p ). For now, I can appreciate a Mac and Jo friendSHIP. :)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  5. Ollie

Ollie Hit and Run

I had thoughts like this after Peyton left him. Being with someone who's not simultaneously your collegue is usually better (though being with someone who IS has its own advantages).

But now, I'm lost for the world. :lol:

I think their friendship is what actually made me wanting them to get together. As much as I appreciate the playfulness, flirting and making Mac off guard, I truly love every serious conversation they shared. Scenes from "Damned If You Do", "High Sight", "Identity Crisis", "Exit Stragedy", which showed how close they've become, how much they support and understand each other, are my personal favourites.

I think that the combination of these flirtatious banter and grown-up conversations made me think they are good for each other. On many levels.

I have the same hopes here. I think using Jo would be... economical for the writers. ;) I mean, if they really want to create more than one relationship this season, it means they need to bring more than one extra-character on board. And I trust them with not going over the top with it (which might be really stupid of me, I know).

I think they might bring someone for Adam, 'cause he's been always alone, they already need to work on Flack/Sam relationship to make it interesting... In this light, it seems simply easier (though I'd love to think it was their plan from the beginning) to get Mac and Jo together since they're already on board, instead of trying to create something new for both or only one of them.

And, on this weird Twitter chat with producers, they did mention the moment with Jo watching Mac from the balcony over the lab. I don't want to rewrite anything into it, but it was the only thing mentioned about something different than Anna, D/L's or season 7 finale, so I think - I hope - it might have some sort of significance.

6. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I agree 100%. They have the fun, flirty side as well as the serious side in their relationship. I also like that it's not one sided. Jo has been there for Mac as much as he has been there for her. They have been able to open up about what's going on in their lives and how it's affecting them and have found a good understanding of each other.

It would definitely be less complicated for the writers to use characters they already have instead of having to bring a bunch of people in. However, it may be more complicated storywise (because Jo and Mac are together a lot) and they may just end up making a mess of it all which would be a shame. But if this is last season they could go all the way and hook the two leads up and take it slow, building up towards the end and it could definitely be done right.

7. Ollie

Ollie Hit and Run

Exactly! I love the fact it works both ways, that it's not only Jo chasing Mac and being all flirty while he's annoyed, for example. The whole thing clearly works for him and even though they're not similar, these differences make their interactions more interesting.

And yes, I think that understanding is the key word here. And again: it works both ways. I like the fact they both respect each other, understand that they're both strong, self-sufficient people. I like it especially from Mac's side. In "Identity Crisis", where Jo was talking to him about Ellie, he didn't lecture her, he didn't put himself into boss or mentor position; he clearly understood that she's strong enough to take care of this situation on her own. He accepted his role as her listener and let her figure the whole thing by herself.

On the other hand, I like how Jo understands him. It seems like she knows exactly when to push and when to pull. ;) When she wanted him to get some rest in "Nothing for Something", she didn't try to talk this with him, to persuade him, to rationalize it. I think she got to know him well enough to know that arranging everything behind his back and not giving him a way out was the only possibility. But then again, in "Exit Strategy", when he was all puzzled and trying to find himself, he wasn't pushing him. She was there to listen to him, like was for her, but in the end she gave him some space and let him figure this out by himself.

Of course it could! I understand people being all so "Oh no, romentic relationship would destroy everything", but both Jo and Mac are not teenagers, they've been through a lot in their lives. And, well, in real life people working together DO hook up. ;) And it does not always end up disastrously.

Anyway, I can't wait to see where the whole thing is going. And even if it's not going anywhere (which is something I'd rather not be thinking about now :D), I bet their interactions from the first episode would be worth watching. After all, as I said, they support each other every time they need it and I think Mac might need someone around him at this time.

8. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Just had to comment on the two wonderful and yummy hugs shared by Mac and Jo on tonight's episode :adore::adore: I am sure I will not get tired of that scene with them at the coffee place. Mac commenting on how cluttered her desk must be was adorable and I love that she keeps expecting him to come back. It always amuses me how easily she makes him smile and how easy he jokes around when he's with her.

9. TheChaoticBox

TheChaoticBox Rookie

Oh dear, did you see the look on Jo's face during that second hug? Ugh, utter disappointment because Mac wasn't planning on coming back.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  10. Ollie

Ollie Hit and Run

Can someone please explain me how is it with the spoilers? For how long after the episode was aired I'm supposed to use them?

Ugh, yesterday's episode proved to me how much I missed both of them on my screen. :adore: They're definitely my otp, either I want it or not.

Thing I liked about their realationship yesterday:

1. Jo refusing to be called "boss" and the way she treated all the other candidates. I think it says a lot about how much she really wanted Mac to come back, how much she believed this will happen.
    2. Well, if that wasn't enough, her scene with Mac himself proved this even more. I really like the deep understanding they have for each other. Mac knows Jo needs someone to reasure her that her actions are right (he was helping her with getting it all together with the case) and Jo knows Mac way to good to believe his words when he said he's not coming back.
    3. Hugs! :adore: What I love the most about both (!) of them (hugs), is that one was started by Jo and one by Mac. It's nothing, I know, but for unkown reason it made me happy.
    4. Mac's statement about Jo'c cluttered desk. :lol: Whenever he makes aby sort of allusion to her being a mess, I love them even more. And as it was said before: the fact he jokes so easily around her is worth pointing out. ;)
    And one more thing: as much as I love Flack with my whole heart, I'd strongly appreciate it if he hadn't spent that much time with Jo. :lol: (Okay, I'm just kidding here. I understand that with Danny and Mac gone he was the only one to go anywhere with her. But still.)

Yes! Gosh, I thought I was the only one seeing this.

11. taylorgirl

taylorgirl Lab Technician

Does any one else think they make a good couple or might actually end up a couple or do you think it's good friendship?

I really did love the hug though, her eyes lit up when she saw him and drooped when he said he wouldn't return we know Jo is a persistent woman and won't give up insisting that she is only the inter Boss, so i bet that's why Mac returns, he misses her,his team and his job

12. Ollie

Ollie Hit and Run

Well, when it comes to me I think it's pretty obvious. ;) For all the reasons I put in my posts above, I think they would definitely make a good couple. And I so hope they will be given this chance.
    But I think I let emotions cloud my judgement, when it comes to seeing things (in spoiler), when they're not really there.

This might actually be pretty crazy, but I can't wait to see the moment when she finds out he's back. This is, if they're going to show it. But I do hope they will!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  13. taylorgirl

taylorgirl Lab Technician

[/QUOTE]

Oh i know! i'd love to see her shocked and laughing, she has a nice laugh lol *sound's weird*

14. macandjogirl

macandjogirl Victim

That's what made me decide to register so I could post. :) Just... *sighs* it made me so happy to see that interaction between them. It feels like they clearly spend more time together outside of work than we even suspected to be that close and natural with each other.

I'm one who wants to see their solid friendship go to more. I think Mac needs an equal in every way, and Jo doesn't get intimidated by the Mac Taylor mystique, nor does she let him get away with anything. He needs that, I suspect, and they also just look pretty together.

15. Ollie

Ollie Hit and Run

I have no idea how I missed this post. :eek: Anyway, HI, macandjogirl (I think I'm goin' to smile every time I'll look at your nickname)! :)

I'm with you on this one, absolutely. As I said before: their (solid) friendship is what makes me think this relationship could work and evolve. They're both open with each other, know each other very well, but I like the fact Jo constantly challenges Mac, in a way, with her not being intimidated by him.

And yep, they look good together. :)