World Politics

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

PRESIDENT OBAMA SHORES UP U.S.-BRITAIN BOND

President Obama whle toasting Queen Elizabeth said "a living witness to the power of our alliance and a chief source of resilence" in her reply she said "The relationship between the two countries as tried, tested and yes SPECIAL":bolian:

She looked so elegant, and so cute for 85. Some highlights of his visit~

*In the formal welcome in the sunshine of the West Terrace, where Obama and the Duke of Edinburgh reviewed the troops of the Scots Guard~
    *In a solemn wreath-laying at the grave of the Unknown Warrior at Westminister Abby~
    *In the gilded state dinner, with it's royal procession into the ballroom and a menu including Agneau de la Nouville Saison de Windsor au Basilic [seasoned lamb]~

Michelle Obama and her clothes always a source of worldwide fascination, turned up at the state dinner wearing a high fashion white gown by Tom Ford with a crisscross halter neckline and a fitted waist with a self-tie bow~

PE.COM

2. Desertwind

More slamming and nit-picking on President Obama. No matter how much he does or how wonderful he is plus bringing the worlds most wanted terriorst down, people still find fault with him. And on Sarah Palin, would any one really vote for her:rolleyes:? And now Mitt Romney is throwing his hat in the ring, what's next?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/politics/

3. Desertwind

More "political " news, How does everyone feel about President Obama withdrawing 10,000 troops from Afghanistan, good or not enough? And the top contenders form the Republican party for 2012, does anybody want any of these people?:confused:

4. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

^^ I have a Finnish friend who is all excited about Michele Bachmann. Ha, we are members of same party here and our party is closer to Democrats but hey, we do have lots of conservatives (even I think many of 'em jumped to True Finns) I've jsut read some of the stuff and I seriously cannot understand how USA can be so... old-fashioned to suppport those ideas. Yes, values and everyone has their right to have those but still...

As for bashing Obama. Of course there is bashing. Every politician faces bashing. Being president of US gets bashing x1000 no matter what they do. Let them yell, just ignore 'em.

We finally have btw a new government. I honestly don't know what to think. Conservatives had first place to form a Government (biggest party they are) and True Finns (biggest winner) said nonono because they don't want to give any money to bankrupt Eurocountries... so then they were our and then Conservatives had to collect every damn party to get majority. Centre wasn't going to Government since we came down hard and were biggest loser of elections.
    Then leader of Conservatives "threw" Social Democrats out, along went Left Wing and then there was fuss and they started 2nd round, again Conservatives forming and they even gave True Finns permission to vote against Goverment when it comes to giving money to countries such as Greece, Portugal [which seemed to be their main issue when they turned down their spot in Government in the first round] but no, that wasn't enough and whoa all sudden left parties were back in and in a few days it was all set. So our Government is Conservatives, Social Democrats, Greens, Christians, Left Wing and Swedish People's Party [they are in every friggin' government, a bunch of yes-men) leaving only two parties to opposition (True Finns and Centre)

So True Finns didn't have balls to take responsibility. They promised a lot, they promised lot to our own things, to help the poor in our own country and now just because in on question (where they could have voted against the government) they are just throwing all those promised away. Hey let's face it, you are not going to change much from the opposition.

5. Desertwind

Thank's Ducky for the interesting news across the pond. And on a recent poll about the GOP 67% said "they want none of these candiates" and Michele Bachman has about as much of a chance of being president as I do:rolleyes:

6. Desertwind

This news is very frightning and unbeliveable, for 70 million people~

If the debt ceiling issue isn't reached by 8-2, Social Security and Disabilty checks may NOT be sent out:eek:so says President Obama. How can they do that?

7. AFIS

AFIS Lab Technician

Does anyone know what's going on in California right now with 51st state idea that's been floating around? I understand that Cali is having some debt/political problems but secession for just 13 districts seems kind of drastic. I can imagine what the other countries in the world are saying about the US right now, "Those crazy Americans have hit the debt ceiling and they've got states seceeding from each other...we don't want to loan them any more money."

8. Desertwind

UH, yeah I live here in California, and it's a tough go on all fronts. If you want to read the nitty-gritty of what's going on, click on the link above and write in California Political News, and it's all there:(

9. nessy

nessy Witness

Biggest politics story here in the U.K. is the News of the World phone hacking scandal and what our Government intend to do about it. I was in London on tuesday and was outside the Houses of Parliament watching about 5 or 6 news crews all trying to get interviews with politicians or spokespersons. Today they are reporting that Rupert & James Murdoch and Rebekah Brooks have been summonsed to appear before MPs next tuesday. It will be interesting to see what happens there.
    Somehow I don't think this story will be over for a while.

10. AFIS

AFIS Lab Technician

I don't understand how a single American entrepeneur can hold so much power over the British government. I understand how one media conglomerate can make or break an election in the UK, but the News of The World is just a tabloid. Tabloids in America aren't really that important. Is it different in the UK?

11. shazza_018

shazza_018 A Daily Anthem Moderator

The News Of the World was not just a tabloid it was the biggest selling newspaper in England. The biggest selling english language newspaper in the world. Tabloids are read by a large amount of the population here, mostly the working class. Also they have a lot more influence here. Murdoch definately has so much more influence in the UK than he has in America and Australia. For over 20 years every Prime Minister (with maybe the exception of John Major) has 'courted' with Murdoch and wanted the support of their paper. When you own the largest selling sunday newspaper and the one of the best selling daily newspapers (the sun), it's not surprising you have so much influence politically.

12. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

What you need to also understand is that 'tabloids' in some countries are more about the size of the paper rather than content. The News of the World is a 'tabloid' because of the size of the paper. Most newspapers in the US and Canada are done on a 'broadsheet'. We have one newspaper here in Canada, Toronto Sun is an example, that is a tabloid but is not like the National Enquirer. It's a newspaper that just happens to be on smaller paper. Tabloids are easier to read when on public transit. USA Today is another example of a tabloid.

That being said it is very interesting watching the fallout from The News Of The World mess. I understand that Murdoch has withdrawn his bid to buy most of a TV Station that he already has shares in. As nessy said it isn't over by a long shot.

13. AFIS

AFIS Lab Technician

Thanks everyone for clearing up my confusion about UK tabloids. I kind of understand the importance of TNofTW shutting down now, but now I can't help but wonder why the UK would let themselves be ruled by the whims of a man who's basically running a monopoly over printed media in the UK. Maybe I'm just looking at this from an American perspective, but in today's modern world, what's the importance of a newspaper/tabloid? With news resources on the internet/tv/radio, I just can't fully understand the importance of a UK tabloid shutting down.

14. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Money is the big answer. I'm not saying they buy the politicians but when you employ a lot of people or give a lot of money to charity sometimes the politicians look the other way. Take Bill Gates and Microsoft as an example.

15. shazza_018

shazza_018 A Daily Anthem Moderator

You have to remember that Rupert Murdoch owns quite a large amount of the media here. Not just newspapers. He owns shares in the broadcaster BSkyB. For almost twenty years Prime Ministers has close relationships with him because he had the influence to make or break them. TNofTW closed amidst phone hacking accusations. Claims that the phones of the victims of crime were hacked. I think in this country unlike in the United States - many people still rely heavily on newspaper but that will be put under pressure in the years to come.

Yesterday Rebekah Brooks the chief executive of News International has resigned and also Les Hinton, chief executive of the media group's Dow Jones has resigned. A personal apology has been put in newspaper adverts across 7 national newspapers. Also Mr Murdoch has personally apologised to the family of a alleged hacking victim - the murdered school girl Milly Dowler.

As you will know, in the US the FBI are investigating claims that the phones of 9/11 victims and their family may have been hacked into by Murdoch's press wing in the states.

I will also say this, Murdoch owns more media in the UK than in does in Australia or America - hence his influence politically here.