Episode 9x22 - 'Mayday' - ***CONTAINS SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by FieldMouse, May 7, 2011.

1. Theresa

Theresa Lab Technician

Sorry, didn't see any great acting there. My reaction was a yawn. Another life-threatening situation for the team which will be resolved quickly and unrealistically in the fall. Wish they had just had a regular episode with more team interaction and forensics. I am really tired of the chase scenes and frenzied chaos. Please Miami get back to basics. Slow it down and let the team talk to each other. That will make me very happy.

2. greatfan

greatfan Captain

New York didn't write in Anna's first pregnancy and did fine without including it.It's all in the writing.There would have been no improvement with Miami's team including the pregnancy.I would even bet,it would have been made worse than it already was because the writers would have placed too much focus on the pregnancy when it should have been elsewhere and let the team itself go further down the tubes.What's good for one show isn't always good for another.

3. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

That is strange. On everyone of my televisions and my laptop she appears with her normal, beautifully warm brown skin. Since Eva has a natural olive colored skin I'm not sure I can believe that she'd feel the need to fake tan. Not only that, she is a very outdoors person. While I don't think she abuses her skin, it wouldn't be as beautiful as it is if she did, being outdoors a lot is going to reflect in her skin tone.

Possibly it is the company that is providing us our signals where the change is ocurring. I asked several friends and family members who have begun watching the show again this season and all of them said she looked great to them ... no orange problems.

Oh well. I've never believed that the CSI Miami makeup dept. was very good. In past seasons I've seen the makeup line on several of the actors. I was taught by my mother when I was 12 years old how important it is to BLEND. It was inexcusable to her that someone would have a makeup line. And I find it completely inexcusable when someone is being paid good money to apply makeup correctly. CSI Miami isn't the only show where this happens, but it is one. (My daughter makes me watch Smallville and it a recurring problem there.)

Caruso's makeup has been so horrible at times I've wondered if the makeup person had some sort of an agenda to purposely make him look bad. :lol:

I couldn't agree more, greatfan! Personally, I desperately needed a break from all the Calleigh drama of the past 3 or 4 seasons and this season was just what I needed. As I've said before, I'm one who didn't miss Calleigh and totally enjoyed seeing Natalia finally step forward.

I wish, however, that the writers would realize the not all the female characters need to be turned into damsels in distress. Natalia really doesn't need to assume all the Calleigh drama just because Calleigh is out of the picture for a while. While Eva is an outstanding actress who did an exceptional job this season, I'm hoping that next season they give more credible stories to work with and reduce the drama. She is capable of so much more than that!!

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  4. beautifuldisaster

beautifuldisaster Lab Technician

Well, what can I say, I'm ready for season 10 right now!! I really enjoyed the second half of the episode better than the first. Frank did an awesome job with the scenes he did have in there. I agree, I don't know what is wrong with everyone's tv, but on all my tv's Eva/Natalia's skin is perfectly tan, not orange. I don't think she would ever walk out of the make up trailer looking like an oompa loompa. We have a tv that is 10 years old and the coloring looks perfectly fine on it. Maybe there's a glitch in wireing or something. And nothing against Calleigh or Calleigh fans, but Calleigh has had the light pretty much since season one. If you think about it. It's ok if someone steps into her shoes for 1 season. I'm pretty sure next season everything will be back to normal. She had a baby. I think I would much rather spend time with my child then worry about my screentime on a show. If they had written her pregnancy in, I think it just would've cause more drama for her and Eric and the team. And Lord knows, Eric and Calleigh have enough drama going on right now. Everyone complaining about Calleigh this season and how she has been missing, has really aggravated me cause now you know how Natalia fans have felt for the past 3-4 seasons. Not just one, but 3-4. I see it as family is more important and that was her focus in her last months of pregnancy and her first few months with her daughter. It's just so annoying. Everyone deserves an even amount of screentime. Whether it be Calleigh stepping back and Natalia step in, Or Eric stepping out and Ryan stepping in. Who I have missed alot this seaon. :( I mean if someone tooks Horatio's place everyone would be sad. I would be. I don't think Natalia is taking Calleigh's place at all. I mean it's a tv show people. They all have to make money somehow! I rarely post in here so maybe it's wrong for me too. I don't know, this is just how I feel. I hope next season proves me wrong and they all get the same amount of screen time. It's not fair to the others. I also agree on the damsel and distress. It's annoying! It's like saying us women aren't strong like men!!! That my friends is not true! We are just as strong! So quit babying Natalia and Calleigh! Both women have gone through alot in there life, so I know they are both really strong. Anyway, here is to season 9 and to what a great season it was. :)

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  5. byline

byline CSI Level One

I have noticed this, as well . . . and I hardly ever watch. But I noticed it on both our old TV and our newer LCD TV, so I don't think it's just a case of our TV's settings.

6. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Calleigh's screentime or lack thereof is perfectly understandable for us Calleigh fan. She had a baby, she needs time, she deserves it, and her family is more important than a TV show. Given we understand and respect that doesn't take away the fact that Miami is not the same without her for us and that we have missed her. Yes we miss her even if it's totally obvious and logical for her to be on just one scene. The fact that we miss her doesn't mean that we want to snatch her away from her child and make her appear onscreen for the whole 42 minutes in every single episode or any amount of time that would be more than what she is ready to do. It's simply that we miss her; that's it. And yes we look forward to the time when she is able to have more screentime, key word here "able" to have more screentime. The fact that Natalia deserves to have more screentime, which she does being she is a regular on this show, does not negate the fact that some us don't really enjoy her as much. Lots of people complained about Calleigh's screentime because it was too much, now lots of people complain on Natalia's because it is too much. Those who enjoy Calleigh didn't mind before, does who enjoy Natalia don't mind now. It's just part of watching a TV show.

There has always been something which I couldn't put my finger on when I looked at Natalia and thank you for pointing out the orange thing. That's definitely it. It made me go "ohhh so that's it!".

7. fanilowchick

fanilowchick Police Officer

The scene I was talking about was in 8.01 "Out of Time", not this season finale. Although H getting shot moved me emotionally as well, and it was also fine acting on both David and Eva's parts.

8. Hardline Pro

Hardline Pro Lab Technician

Agreed. Especially when H tried to get up an shoot what's his face (I forget his name). Seeing him struggle to get up even though he was shot, really moved me. Can't wait for the last season of CSI: Miami this fall.

9. byline

byline CSI Level One

While I agree with you, I also agree with others who are not so much debating the amount of screen time, but the way in which screen time is delegated to female characters. It seems like it's just a tired, old TV cliche to use the female characters as damsels in distress constantly in need of rescuing. Once in a while is fine; it does serve a dramatic purpose. Before Khandi Alexander left, they did it with Alexx, too. But we really see how obvious it is when, as others have pointed out, plot developments that most likely would have originally been written for Calleigh was written exclusively for Natalia this season, simply because of Emily Procter's absence due to her pregnancy.

That's part of why I stopped watching the show, because this pattern had become so predictable. One wishes that the writers could be a wee bit more imaginative with their female characters.

10. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I totally agree with the damsel in distress theme. It's annoying and unnecessary. I didn't like when they did with Calleigh and I don't like that they are doing it with Natalia. I also didn't like that Eric underwent brain surgery twice because of being shot at and was shot at in the arm. To me he is also a damsel in distress at times lol.

11. fanilowchick

fanilowchick Police Officer

Lol Randy is his name. Boy, even thought I knew the shooting was coming, it still tore at me to see H in pain. I never expected him to pull himself up and shoot at Randy. Hopefully that didn't cause him to lose too much blood/strength.

12. furryfurbi

furryfurbi Victim

Hi all - I'm trying to get together a list of H fans on the board. Anyone that considers themselves an H fan please PM me at furryfurbi@gmail.com

13. Hardline Pro

Hardline Pro Lab Technician

Natalia wasn't the only one in a dangerous situation(s) this season. Remember this?

14. Gooniegirl3333

Gooniegirl3333 Lab Technician

Yeah, that particular episode seems to be forgotten. Probably because it was so short of a scene (not to my liking, :( )

15. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Exactly! I agree completely with you, greatfan. Writing in the pregnancy is one of the things that killed Without A Trace IMO.