"A Kiss Before Frying" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, Jan 14, 2011.

1. SpasmThatCat

SpasmThatCat Police Officer

I wasn't going to write here again but I have questions because I think this episode was sloppy, and after all this time Eric deserves much better. So forgive me, but:

Why exactly did Ellen try to kill Greg? From the scene in the layout room at the beginning she knew he wasn't the only CSI working the case so the reason can't have been to stop him finding out about her.

How did Greg know that she'd switched trucks? He wasn't there when they caught the guy and according to Catherine he was out of contact with the lab.

Why did Ellen ring him to say someone was trying to kill her? She had no reason to suspect that she was actually a, er, suspect, making her motivation for trying to kill Greg even more mysterious, unless maybe he was really bad in bed.

And who the heck marks on a timetable which bus they want to catch?

Picnics in the lab (did she even have a visitors pass? I haven't watched it again), off-screen phone conversations that have to be filled in by the actors, terrible continuity in that bus station scene, cheesy lines, and Eric having to overact to compensate for Dita's flat performance, it left me thinking "WTF?" Sorry but it could have been so much better.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  2. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Well the scene where Catherine was talking to Greg and then he walked away and she got a call. I am pretty sure that was Greg finally calling her and she filled him in on that while he told her he was going after Ellen at the bus station. I figured that out the moment Catherine's phone rang and when she looked at who was calling.

3. SpasmThatCat

Of course you did, although I'm a bit confused why Greg was calling her if he'd just walked away? I've only watched it the once so I dont recall which part that was. But even then it's left to speculation, isnt it?

4. byline

byline CSI Level One

He hadn't "just" walked away. Catherine got that call when she and Ray were trying to figure out where Greg was; this was after he'd gone to the diner to meet Ellen and was shot at. Catherine was getting ready to send Brass and the SWAT team to the truck's location. Then her cell rang, and she stared at it. We don't know who called, but given her facial expression, and what transpired at the bus station, we can pretty easily figure out that it was Greg telling her what had happened, and she probably filled him in on the rest so that they could work out the best way of handling Ellen at the train station.

As for why Ellen did the things she did, I don't think she did everything on a rational basis. It's not the best explanation, but it's plausible that she felt Greg was getting too close, on a number of levels, and decided that the best way to solve that problem was to get rid of him permanently.

5. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

I still think that Ellen wasn't at all the way we saw her, personality wise. I see her as a con-artist. An expert at manipulation. She was probably cold-hearted and possibly sociopathic. Greg was just a means to an end, and the shooting attempt was probably her way of tying up loose ends. As for why she marked the bus route, perhaps she wanted Greg to find her if he survived. She might have viewed him as a plaything and wanted to see him break and let her get away. She was probably confident he would.

My own interpretation, this is. I like to think it fills in some of the plot holes. :lol:

6. SpasmThatCat

;) Not bad, Praetor!

7. byline

byline CSI Level One

I hadn't taken it that far, but I think your idea explains a lot.

8. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

I don't think there is really any way to rationalize the lengths she went to in order to kill the grandchildren of the people who killed her grandmother.

In watching it again, that last scene had to have supposed to been a pardody or something. The old-timey clock, the way he said, "You set me up to die!" And the infamous "Tuesday" line.

9. PraetorCorvinus

Hence why I'm going with sociopath. They aren't generally rational. She heard the story of her grandparents, something snapped... and BAM!! Electrocution.

One thing that still bothers me is that we don't know her damn name!! I'm assuming that Rita is like Dita - both fake names.

10. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Yeah, even her partner in crime called her "Ellen" at the end.

11. SpasmThatCat

If she was that enamoured with her grandparents, she might have kept the name Kuchko, which would have been her mother's maiden name? Rita Kuchko. There, sorted!

12. PraetorCorvinus

I like it! I'm taking that idea. Sorry but it's mine now. :lol:

13. SpasmThatCat

:lol: Dude, nice idea!

In all seriousness, its unlike CSI or Evan Dunsky to leave any plot holes at all. It makes me wonder if the episode was heavily or hurriedly edited for some reason, which might be borne out by that horribly sloppy bus station scene, and the fact that the air date was pushed back by a week?

14. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Well, Dita said that originally she was going to just have a cameo, but tptb decided they wanted her to have a bigger role... so maybe the writers had to rush to rewrite the script to accommodate the bigger role the show runners/producers wanted Dita to have.

15. waiting4summer

waiting4summer Police Officer

I think that Ellen set up Greg to be killed because he saw her looking at his files. She may have been hoping that he was enamored enough with her not to have told anyone else, but that the way things were progressing he might have realized why the killer switched vehicles.