Deadlines and Extensions

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Speedystokesgirl, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Meg and Kat, delete this thread, rename, or whatever, but I noticed some frustation over deadline extensions and I thought maybe we should have an open discussion about it?

This is not to hurt anyone's feelings or to fight, just to see how everyone feels about it and the reasons for the extensions. Please be respectful and talk in the general sense, not point out someone particular.

This was posted in the Icon challenge thread:

Believe me when I say I understand everyone's frustation when deadlines are extended. However, sometimes you have to take a look at it from the challenge runner's point of view.

We haven't been getting many entries. My last Alternate Banner Challenge I only had TWO entrants. Ok, off the top of my head I can't remember if I extended it or not.

When there are low entries, sometimes we do extend the deadline in hopes that we would get more. Let's face it, people forget about it (I do sometimes), RL gets in the way, need to give our creative mind a little more time (because it can get a little tempermental at times :lol:). etc.

I wonder how everyone feels about deadline extensions. Do you want the deadline to remain the same, no matter what. Maybe a longer time to create would be needed? Do you get upset when you've turned yours in, by deadline, to find out that the challenge isn't being put yet and you could've worked more on your entries?

Like I said, just wanted to know how everyone feels, but please be respectful when posting your comments.

Maybe once the challenge runners see the entrants point of view and the entrants see the challenge runner's point of view, maybe we can come to an understanding or maybe even a solution.

I don't want to see anyone pulling out of a challenge because they're frustated that they made the deadline and someone else couldn't. Believe me I know it can get frustating.

2. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

First of all I want to clarify one thing as it wasn't my intention to attack or, better say, criticsize someone's feeling about the extentions. So Mistletoe_Sens don't worry. I didn't even know what was exactly going on. All I know is that I kind of know how Meg must have felt because she had to extend yet another time the deadline. That actually was the real intention of my post ;).

Having said this, let's move on :p

I usually tend to be punctual in terms of deadlines, no matter what, as, in all honesty, I tend to get annoyed when someone (I'm speaking in general, not only about forums or other things like this) extends the deadline. But ever since I've been following this fan art area, I've learned many many things.

First of all, creativity is such a weird thing that sometimes people who take part in a challenge find themselves not knowing what to do for that particular challenge in that particular period of their lives, that they don't find the time to enter their works. I found myself in this situation lots of times when I took part in the challenges 'cause my creativity found its own space in the "wrong" moments. It happens, so I do understand why lots of people do not enter their works in time.

Not to mention that lately (please do not fire anything agains me for this :lol:) I've seen many many good artists disappear from the fan art forum and I've seen many many beginners take part in challenge. I do encourage beginners to take part in the challenges 'cause lord knows how they can help you improve your creativity and skills, but, at the same time, I do encourage advanced people to go on taking part in the challenges, if they are able to do it. Persoanlly, I gave up entering the challenges and creating anything for a very simple reason.....my editing program crashed and, until I get a new notebook, I won't be able to reinstall it :rolleyes:

Plus, it is kind of obvious RL knows how to get into everyone's life. So probably people won't be able to enter their works in time as challenge runners won't be able to post the votings in time. That's what happened, for istance, with the only challenge I've run so far (again, I do apologize for it). I had enough entries and I had all of them in time. Unfortunately, when it was time to post the voting, I found myself in my own bed as I was down thanks to the flu so, I had to extend the deadline. Thank god it just for one day ;)

So...for all these reasons I do find myself understanding why people extend the deadlines even when our artists get annoyed because of it (trust me, I do understand you too ;)) and I do find myself supporting them :thumbsup:

3. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

Well... the thing with the deadlines is a hard one for the artists and the challenge runners. I know that... a challenge runner has no other choice but to extend the deadline if there aren't enough entries, sure. What would be a challenge where only 2 people sent their work in???

I take part on my third icon challenge at the moment and every time I made sure I would get my icons in in time. For my actual challenge I made 3 icons in 4 hours because I was afraid I would miss the deadline... and well... the deadline was extended, like every time I send icons for a challenge in :rolleyes: And I can say that it isn't always the mod's fault.

In my opinion it would be better to give more time in general... the sooner people know about a challenge, the sooner they will get their ideas and with more time for working on them one should even be able to participate if real life gets in the way.

What I absolutely dislike is when people pop into the challenge after the said deadline to ask for an extension because they forgot about the challenge or simply couldn't make it in time. I mean, why this late? What about asking for an extension BEFORE the deadline is there??? Everyone is hurrying up to make it in time and if they would know before the end of the deadline that it would be two weeks later they could take their time with it.

Generally I understand that we have extensions... in some cases you need to extend, so a challenge won't be too boring but I would really like to hold onto a no extension deadline for challenges with themes like Christmas, Thanksgiving or Easter and stuff... I mean what is the point of giving a Christmas challenge up for voting in February because there are not enough entries? It just doesn't fit and it is sad when it happens...

Maybe giving more time in general would help a little... :)

4. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

This, technically, should be the only way possible for US to solve this problem, but I'm quite sure that still....people would have to claim 'cause they would have to wait much longer till the voting is up. At least, that's what I've been taught in the Challenge Runner Guide....don't get me wrong, but it's quite natural for people, who have entered their icons ASAP, to get bored when they have to wait for all the other days left before the voting is up.

But I do think that time isn't the only problem for our artists.....what about the shows? What about the CSI:Franchise?
    I mean, I'm quite sure that not all the artists are watching their shows anymore because of RL, time, because the franchise is slowly getting old or for whatever reason (like they don't like what's going on that particular show :shifty:). While on fandom art this isn't a big deal 'cause sthere's a huge variety in terms of shows, in our area of the forum things are not quite the same. Once you don't watch, for example, CSI:NY **hides herself in a corner of her room after this example**, I highly doubt you would make an icon from that show even if you were the best artist. Can anyone of you see my point or am I totally crazy :lol:? **shrugs**

Ups, I haven't seen this happening yet, but I totally agree with you 'cause it is exactly the same with much more important things in RL :thumbsup:

Totally agree :thumbsup:

5. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

I don't mind the occasional extention - things happen that are out of your (mine, our) control. I don't particulary like when there are multiple extentions for one challenge. Then I usually forget to vote! :alienblush:

You're not totally crazy. :lol: That's me! :thumbsup: I watch Vegas so my icons, banners, & wallpapers are all Vegas based (OK, They're mostly Nick based. :p). I don't usually watch Miami or NY and for me to have the desire to take part in those challenges I either want to have seen an episode recently or have to be real interested in the theme. And I know that I'm not the only one.

I agree with this. There shouldn't be extentions on holiday themed challenges. It just feels like that (hypothetical) family down the street who leave their decorations up til spring. ;)

Susan

6. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Just thought I'd put my two cents in as someone who used to run challenges (back when the Miami one first started) and as someone who used to enter them quite a bit and still does every now and then.

Shouldn't there be some sort of bottom line with regards to deadlines/extensions? The competitors don't run the challenges, the challenge runners do. I know the issue of Real Life (on both sides) and lack of entries is what a lot of people are concerned about and is why the extensions are given but in all honesty, challenges don't really need 20+ icons to be competitive or voteable. And if one can't find the time to enter before the deadline, is it such a big deal to wait for the next challenge or when one has the time instead of asking for an extension?

I'm not saying that extending the deadline is a bad thing (if memory serves, I've extended deadlines before) but 2-3 times and 6-7 days at a time? I know most people want participation because that's what makes it fun and worthwhile but it seems kind of odd to me to wait an extra week just to get those 4 extra icons or to pander (for lack of better words) to the entrants because they want more time for whatever reason.

Like any thread, the amount of participation will be based on interest right? If there's little to no interest, extending the deadline forever might bring in a few more icons but it'll sort of defeat the purpose of having the deadline in the first place and those few who entered, bothering to get theirs in on time at all.

So to touch directly on the questions brought up in the first post; Deadline extension is fine for me, as long as it's reasonable and still coincides relatively close with the original timeframe. A day or two seems pretty reasonable to me, a week or two doesn't.

With that, I know that the challenge runners sometimes have an unexpected delay due to Real Life near the deadline. Instead of extending it, would it be possible to simply let the deadline stand and ask for a little patience or to hand off the challenge to someone capable of finishing it? There isn't really much we can do when Real Life gets in the way and it should be a priority over a messageboard. At least in my mind. :lol:

7. addictedtoSpeed

addictedtoSpeed Judge

Now that we aren't running so many challenges I think it would be nice if we stuck to deadlines unless you have only a few entries.

8. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

I can see this from both sides. As a challenge runner, on the occasions where I didn't get enough entries, I had to extend the deadline. The thing is...if people weren't going to enter anyway, they still aren't going to enter if I give them another week.

As a participant, yeah, I get frustrated when I get all my icons in and then there is an extension. I realize that if I want to at that point, I could make a different icon or try to improve on one I've already sent in, but really it's frustrating to have tried really hard to send them in on time only to have more time given for it later.

As for the challenge runner not posting for voting right away, that understandable if RL gets in the way...maybe a day or two after the deadline, but if it's going to be longer than that, why not ask another runner to post it for you? And yes, that's me volunteering to do it if you need help. :lol:

My preference...stick to the deadline for entries. If entries are low and you know for sure that more will come in if given a few more days, then maybe extend it a little. But don't offer up another week or more unless you've got people you know are going to send some in.

I think everyone needs to see both sides. Artists need to realize that the challenge runner simply can't post a challenge if there are only one or two participants. And runners need to realize that artists who get their entries in on time get frustrated if they have to sit around and wait another week for latecomers to send theirs in.

9. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Not to mention that sometimes you don't even get any new extra icon. So everyone has been waiting for....nothing :rolleyes:

Totally agree!

You know? I've never thought about this idea...shame on me LOL. Seriously, if runners do feel ashemed to extend the deadline for whatever "incident" occourd in RL, there's always the possibility to ask to someone else (possibly challenge runners who don't know anything about that particular challenge...you know just because of the voting) to post the voting ;)

Exactly :thumbsup:

10. Urban Legend

Urban Legend Captain

I agree, while there's people who love to enter the contests some of them should respect that those who are running the challenges can have things come up just like things come up for them when they want to enter and don't have the time. A few people from the Misc Lims who would constantly question me whether I had received their icons, why the voting hadn't been put up etc. If I take the time to run the challenge, I just feel like I should be able to run it how I want and not have someone who constantly questions me. Especially when I posted in the thread if something had changed etc.

Also as a challenge runner and someone who enters challenges when I have the chance, I understand how real life can get in the way. I was a little behind on some of my deadlines due to just physically being worn out from work and the two days of Chemo I have a week. Also, I know how things would come up, so I would also give PM's to the participants who haven't sent their icons in and to also remind them of a deadline.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  11. shazza_018

shazza_018 A Daily Anthem Moderator

It seems like this is an issue again, for me I'm just not getting the enteries for my Alternative Banner Challenge NY. Last challenge I got 7 enteries, I mean I don't mind I just don't think it's fair to put people from beginners level in with intermediate and advanced makers - they don't stand a chance of winning is my point. I just doesn't seem fair, is what I'm getting at. I don't know why we have such less graphics makers these days, but I have to extend the deadline if I only get like 4 enteries from say 2 people or something. I am making sense here?

12. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Yep, I know what you mean. Seems to me that fan art making around here has died down a lot lately. I'm not sure why? Have the regulars gone on to other sites or just lost interest?

13. shazza_018

shazza_018 A Daily Anthem Moderator

I don't know, I would say most seem to have lost interest. I know we're always trying to encourage newbies to entry but we don't have that many maker who are regulars *shrugs*.

14. CSI_Kat

CSI_Kat Addicted to Gutterville Moderator

I dont have my photoshop anymore...it died with my old laptop and I cant get that version on my mac.

15. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

I miss challenges! there was a time when I first started making graphics and I spent more time in FanArt than any other part of the site. Me personally just kind of lost interest for many reasons. Due to realife and university I wasnt spending so much time on the site never mind in PS and I think a lot of the main faces in challenges all kind of drifted off at the similar time. I think after we were used to challenegs making 2 posts worth of icons that as a few people left the competion along with participation lowered.

As the higher skilled people leave the beginners dont have a level to strive for but then when there is only 10 icons (both beginners and advanced) both parties lost either more interest because there was no compition at all! If that makes sense?

I used to love participating and even running the challenges, but I think it goes in phasing. I think the site as a whole has lowered in sage, I mean this is my second post this year I think! I still love CSI yes, but I even hardly watch it maybe thats as its been on for years lol. I think people just find a new thing to be interested in and unless CSI sparks a new life and whole new life of followers I dont think we'll ever see the challenegs thrive as well as they did.

And to be honest, I dont think there is anything anyone can eally do about it :rolleyes: