CSI Miami Is New CBS Disposable?

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by inthewind, Nov 8, 2010.

1. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

TV shows are "ordered" by a network. A production company pays for the costs of the programming, and the network pays for & acquires exclusive rights to air the show. Sometimes the network and the production company are one in the same. The network airs the show, hoping to make money by selling advertising during the show.

Networks make the most money when shows are either repeated (because they continue to sell ad time but have no costs except beaming the signal up to a satellite. If a show goes into syndication, the network has sold & granted broadcast rights to another network. The new network pays a fee for these rights, then tries to offset their fee by selling yet more advertising.

So, for example, CBS used to air all 3 shows as they came out. Then they air repeats during the season. They have syndicated most of the older shows to networks like Spike, A&E, and local affiliates. They don't really lose money on any of these shows. The rub occurs when the ad revenue is not sufficient to pay for the production costs of a new show. So if a new CSIM episode costs $1 million to produce and air, but they only sell $950,000 worth of ad time (which is calculated as a base cost multiplied by viewership), CBS has just lost $50,000.

The dynamic gets even more complicated when multiple shows are in play. Don't doubt for a second that Charlie Sheen's huge raise affected how much Les Moonves was willing to pay for the CSIM cast. I would go so far as to say Charlie and Jon Crybaby effectively cost Eddie Cibrian his job.

2. Wyoming

Wyoming Head of the Graveyard Shift

Mmkay, shoulda done my research. It looks like the original CSI is the one that is produced in house now. CSI Miami is co-produced. Touche Bill =]

3. Colonel Worf

Colonel Worf Pathologist

I think CSI:Miami and CSI:NY might have one more year left after season, maybe even thirteen episodes a piece. They've already got a ridiculous amount of episodes for syndication and some expensive actors.

4. Theresa

Theresa Lab Technician

Interesting--CBS is scheduling over Christmas weekend CSIM at 9 p.m. (L.A. episode) and The Mentalist at 10 p.m. Looks like they may be doing some experimenting with timeslots.

5. Ajbuckly

Ajbuckly Lab Technician

Thank you for that "walk - though". But what does that mean as per show being place in the death - slot?

I also place the question in News but mayby this is a better place for it.
    So if Sunday (cause of football) is famous for low ratings for other shows then why do you(network) place Miami there? As much as I like to show - it couldn´t beat football even I knew that.

This is just my guess ...but they needed a slot for "Hawaii five - o" ?? and Miami had to move but if your "¨walk - through" is correct why move a show to a slot that doesn´t even pay for the show?? What logic leads to that move?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  6. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

They did it last year with Cold Case... CSI Miami will be going back to the 10 p.m. time slot in February.

7. CSIMandy

CSIMandy Lab Technician

I really don't like all the shifting around that is being done to CBS shows, especially CSI Miami. I don't understand why CBS is doing this, from what I've read CSI Miami has continued to do well despite the move and the screw ups from CBS.

8. hiphuggerslove

hiphuggerslove Rookie

:scream: I agree with you I dont know why cbs keep moveing miami around but I guess will have to wait and see:eek:

9. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

To be honest, I'm not too worried about CSI Miami right now, or any of the CSI shows. The CSI franchise is the huge part of CBS's criminal drama empire, if they give it up, it will ruin a huge chunk of their revenues and popularity. Yes CBS does have a top-rated network with vastly popular shows, but there is still a very devoted and dedicated CSI fanbase that stays on to watch CBS shows, if they toss away the franchise, CBS will suffer, and for a network that is constantly banking on spin-offs and crime shows, I don't think CBS will be dropping the CSIs for a while.

Just think how long NBC kept Law & Order despite its drop in the ratings. I think CSI stand a good chance to keep it going for quite a few years.

As for the scheduling changes, they moved around the Defenders and Blue Bloods as a testing experiment and also because they are premiering Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior in February so there's some changes. More than likely Hawaii Five-0 being a big hit will remain on the Monday night to win over the ratings, although I should think maybe they could bring Miami to Monday before Five-0. Tuesday nights will be a block that CBS won't change or touch, they are ruling that night so well with NCIS, NCIS: LA, and the Good Wife, especially with how NCIS is pretty much hammering all the other shows in the ratings to the point that FOX even moved American Idol to Wednesday nights. Networks say different but I know FOX switched gears with Idol because NCIS was coming dangerously close to overtaking them in the ratings and that would have been bad. Thursday nights is hard to change too with Mentalist and CSI doing, and Friday night frankly looks quite full too with NY and Blue Bloods, so really it seems Monday night is the opening, but then the issue comes with the barrage of comedy shows that airs before Five-0.

Personally I think CBS just has too many good shows and they are having trouble finding a place for it all and this experiment is an attempt to see if they can find a good balance for all their shows. It doesn't necessarily mean that CBS is sentencing Miami to cancellation.

Sure Miami doesn't have the best ratings in the world, but the franchise is rooted very deeply and if I was an executive at the network, I would keep on hogging the franchise until there's nothing left because CSI franchise is still making them more money than most shows they have. They are not blind.