CSI Miami Is New CBS Disposable?

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by inthewind, Nov 8, 2010.

1. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I wish all of the CSIs and Criminal Minds would get picked up by another network (and maybe the NCIS's as well) so I wouldn't have to give CBS any viewership anymore.

2. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

I felt the same way after what they did to Cold Case. And make no mistake, if ratings slip for any of the above shows, even NCIS, they will give them the same treatment they've given CSI Miami, Cold Case etc.. an unforgiving one.

3. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

I agree that the canceling of the latest CSIM was a total douchebag call on the network's part...but:

--it's clear that football ratings dominate their current world view. The Chiefs'/Raiduzz game was, in their minds, an archetype. There was 0% chance they would broadcast anything but that.

--CSIM has been dropped into the worst slot in the world. A network who cares more about a fumble than a crime drama...all the lip service about the show...then they drop this hammer? Safely assume CBS does not give a rat's ass about CSIM.

--I've already moved on to Detroit 187. On at a reliable time, with a consistent and qualified cast. David...buh bye.

4. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

Oh dear. If the CBS does that to show to get raitings down and show to die... @%¤#£€$¥~?!§!!

The show needs raitings! Come on CBS do I really have go on war path? I want to see season 9 on my country too but if the show stops to be popular on its original place my local broadcast company won't buy it and I won't see it! It already has low raitings here as far as I've heard but if it looses other viewers it'll loose them here too. I don't know how much that costs, to buy it from CBS (I assume they get it from its origins), but I know it's not cheap for tv company on verge of economical crisis, and that makes me tremble of opportunity to watch it in future. Though I noticed they showed other episode than it should be shown last tuesday right after the bad cancelling due to football (very suspicious). Was it planned or happened by accident? Did they do that because CBS cancelled it on sunday? They did that on purpose cause the advert claimed for a week. So.... Did they knew something more? I slowly feel that everything and everywhere is connected somehow...

5. Linda&Horatio

Linda&Horatio Witness

CBS produces all the CSI shows right?!?! So then if they are out of sync with Miami in terms of the schedule and overtime with the football games then isn't that the recipe for disaster!?!?! :brickwall: It's like a domino effect, first the shows or schedules are not done in order, then the shows are not shown due to games played long over, then the fans get fed up, ratings go down and shows get cancelled. Well duh!:wtf::rolleyes: I love CSI:Miami first but it's a good thing I like the other CSI shows as well. Hope Miami doesn't get cancelled and that's my fear.

Thanks
    Linda :)

6. Country233

Country233 Police Officer

Yes, I feel your pain. I was livid last Sunday when I waited for a new episode and it went right into the freaking news! I was disgusted with my afiliate big time. Then to realize it wasn't just that one affiliate. They shouldn't pull that crap on loyal viewers.

While I am a relatively new viewer, I was still ready to watch it last week. Tonight I guess they will play the show from last week, but I don't trust it to be on. With them pulling this garbage on Miami and moving NY, I figure they are trying to run all the CSIs off the air.

It really ticks me off. This sounds bad, but I am glad NY wasn't put on Sunday because it is my favorite one. However, still don't like shows being put ot pasture on Sunday night. It is Cold Case all over again.

7. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

See, that's what I fear. I really hope it won't happen. I love the show and it's quite important to me, I realise that sport is also important but that shouldn't be the reason to cancell everything else. Hopefully it's not gonna last for long... Really wanna see CSIM for a long time..

8. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

I'm trying not to be gloom and doom, and in another thread, someone posted valid arguments as to why CSI Miami and NY could be back.
    But I also know history of what happens to shows that CBS puts in this time slot, and regardless of whether they produce it or not, I fear CBS is ready to give Miami the chopping block. From what I understand, this is the last year of their contracts...which always makes me nervous.

9. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

Oh my.. It makes me nervous too. And I have fluffy feeling that tv3(one of local tv channels in my country) may show s9 right after s8, they hopefully will show Kill Clause tonight after last weeks rerun of previously aired episode, just (almost)like CBS did with last week's epi on s9. It made me suspicious whether it was planned before (according to ads whole week long they planned this) or happened accidentally like it happens from time to time. I know CSIM isn't that popular at my place and I sometimes feel like I'm the almost only one fan of show. And basically I think I'm only one on this forum from my country (I may be wrong of course but it feels like that. Which also makes me feel very loyal to forum and all three csi's). I'm still crossing fingers for more seasons since CSIM is my most favorite one (not mentioning one other show I'm overly excited to watch).

10. Wyoming

Wyoming Head of the Graveyard Shift

Please allow me to add my 2 cents. Oh...and HAAAIII to all the people who remember me =]

I'm a Radio/TV/Film major in college and I'm attending a tv class right now, so maybe I can help give you the business side of it, because it seems like a lot of concern is with the popularity of the show being a factor. And I'll answer some questions I see along the way, too.

Yes, CBS produces all of the CSI shows in-house, which means they can do whatever the hell they want with it.

It would be rare that they'd sell it, because in order for them to sell it they'd have to sell their entire license to the show, which would mean any money made by the show would not go to them, it would go to whoever bought it, and with the way those shows are syndicated on so many channels, they make too much money off of reruns to sell the entire show away. (I couldn't get the stupid font off of italic....oh well lol)

CSI Miami had its prime in the 3rd Season. (Ahem probably due to the fact that Speedle was the most awesome character ever) Anyway, but at its prime it was getting 19 million viewers for the season. That was in 2004-2005. As far as business went for that year, CBS was probably making millions off of advertising time. Fast forward to just last year, the viewers went down almost 2 million(from season 7 to season 8), and their ranking went from 13 to 24. So now last year, they're making much less money off of advertising time because advertisers don't want to waste their dollars on a show that won't attract eyeballs. So CBS does what any other tv production company would do and moves it to make room for something that will make them more money.

Now this year, because of the move; to date there are only 10 million viewers. I hate to worry you all but this looks very bad for Miami. I don't know if there are any other factors storywise or spinoffwise...but it seems to me that they lost viewers last year, so naturally they're going to see what they can do to get more viewers for that timeslot. If they can still make money off of the show, they will keep it, unless like I said there are factors behind it such as what was mentioned earlier with them wanting to write off the spinoffs and keep the original.

I'd have to say my reason for not watching the show anymore was because of the rediculousness of the Marisol storyline. I really hate it because I loved the show so much when Speedle was there and Horatio was more in the lab than just a detective, but I can't control what the writers do. Hell, I may end up being one one day. And if for some crazy reason I ever got to be a writer for Miami, you'll be seeing a lot of Speedle.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my thoughts on it. For the sake of all of you here I hope they can make a lot of money off of the timeslot they have and keep it there, but you never know with production companies. The bottom line is that they need to make money, and if they're not making money, they could care less about what you think. If you want to keep it, recruit people to watch it, or at least leave it on that channel while they read a book or something lol.

-vanish-

11. greatfan

greatfan Captain

Season three was very highly rated,but Speed died in the very first episode of season 3, so as awesome as he was,he was not the cause of the high ratings that year.
    Again,Speed is very much dead.
    The other points regarding advertising dollars are good ones and makes a lot of sense.

12. Turbidblue

Turbidblue Witness

How about the international market? They must make tons of cash selling it abroad?

13. Wyoming

Wyoming Head of the Graveyard Shift

The cash they made selling it abroad? Probably not as much money as they make in advertising space here. Licensing fees are a one time only fee, but it really depends on what the company wants. I don't know what country you're in or how they do it, but there's three ways they do it. It's either they get money from the international company per episode or per season, not sure which, they get money from them and part of the advertising time given for the show, or they get just the advertising time, and the international company gets the benefit of more viewers to their station. The first or second option is most likely because the international company will benefit somewhat financially from getting the show, but as I said, I'm not sure what kind of deals these companies have made.

And as for Speedle...I'm creative I'd figure out a way to write him in =p DONT KILL MY DREAMS *cry*

14. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

I don't believe this is correct. Anthony Zuiker went out of his way to ensure the show's independence after it was passed on by ABC. The show is produced by Alliance Atlantis. CBS has a residual interest from the original CSI which was pitched to Paramount, which is now owned by Viacom, who also owns CBS. CBS agreed to air the show because Alliance Atlantis had pre-sold some syndication rights to defray the costs of the first CSILV season. Zuiker/Bruckheimer footed about 80% of the production costs, CBS chipped in the remaining 20%.

15. Turbidblue

Turbidblue Witness

Ok, thanks, I have no idea how much they're selling it for, but since it is so big, it has to be a bit to add to the total sum anyway...but yeah, it might be less than I think, I have no idea. This is way over my head ;)