Episode 9x01 - "Fallen" ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Oct 1, 2010.

1. RoscoeTrek

RoscoeTrek Rookie

OMG!!! I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS PREIMIER!!!

Talk about how packed & intense it was from end to end! Am glad alot of things played out well in this episode, from Jesse's passing to the EVERYONE'S emotions acted out so well & the end basketball scene.

Sorry about Jesse, I did like him (fell short of loving him). I do wish when tptb really want to get rid of someone, they don't close the book on them without a proper conclusion.

Anyhoo... A+ for showing us that you guys still got what it takes to be AWESOME!

2. dreamer285

dreamer285 Hit and Run

does anyone know what Calleigh put into Jesse's hand at the end? I'm thinking it's a pendant with a saint on it of some sort, but I'm not sure... Please help thanks!

3. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

She put something in his hand? Well that makes me think even more of the whole Ferryman thing. It might have been a coin. In some cultures its believed that you need money to give to the Ferryman in order for him to take you to where other people who have died are, otherwise you end up stuck as a spirit, or stuck between both worlds. I can't remember the legend exactly... but Calleigh did say something about wishing him a good trip.

4. greatfan

greatfan Captain

Police officers also have a patron Saint,but I don't remember the particular Saint.It may have been the pendant she placed.

5. redanemone

redanemone Rookie

In an episode of law and order svu, elliot says the patron saint of cops is saint michael. Dunno if that's accurate or not, but I'm pretty sure saint barbara is the patron saint of justice. I was born on her feast day. My computer won't cooperate with cbs.com so I can't take a better look.

6. RoscoeTrek

RoscoeTrek Rookie

The two scenes I absolutely loved in this episode:

#1 I couldn't stop laughing when Travers started off:
    - H was like - "I might as well look for him from under the screen thingamagig"
    - Natalia & Eric were like :wtf:

#2 The end scene before H score's the shot, Eric dusting the b'ball for him...:)

About the pendant: the only thing I could make out was a man on a horse with a withdrawn sword... can anyone make a guess now?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  7. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

You are thinking of Charon from Greek mythology. He transports the dead for a fee which is a gold coin in the dead person's mouth or on their eyes.

8. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I just Googled the Patron Saints of Police Officers,and it is indeed Saint Michael.

[​IMG]

9. redanemone

redanemone Rookie

I thought so, only the description that the pendant had a man atop a horse threw me off. That sounds more like st. George, which wouldn't make much sense. Anyways, I've always found it weird that Calleigh claims to believe in science and karma yet this is the second time she's left a christian symbol with a friend as solace. Maybe its just me but it doesn't seem to fit with what her character has been established as. If it had been Horatio than I'd buy it.

10. miamirocks

miamirocks Lab Technician

I was guessing the pendant belonged to Jesse, just like the cross belonged to Eric in "Man Down" (although I don't remember seeing him wear it...)

Calleigh has always been "open," so I think it makes sense that she would be open to other beliefs. Maybe b/c she's seeing Eric she's also seeing some of his beliefs and it's rubbing off on her a bit? IDK - a long-shot, I guess, but I always saw Calleigh as someone who'd be open to Christianity as well as other religions. ::shrug:::

11. city hunter

city hunter Rookie

the premiere wasn't bad, although there wasn't enough Ryan for me but what we saw of him was good.
    Natalia and Walter were awesome in this episode.
    I really liked the ending scene when they all played basketball and I loved the little hug between Ryan and Natalia, it was so sweet and cute.

I don't liked how Jesse died, they could have done better!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  12. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

I'm late, but I had to add my $.02. This was the best Miami episode I've seen in a really long time, and while it feels like I said that for several of Miami's S8 episodes, this one really knocked it out of the park (and was so much better than the finale). This was mostly impressive 'cause of how annoyed I was by Jesse's death, and a few other factors surrounding it.

Knew it was coming, but it was incredibly anticlimactic, like people have said -- and if EC said the same thing, I agree 100%. Even more so now that I've read the thread. I didn't hear the cause of death that Tom gave, so I'd just assumed that Jesse was close to the vent and therefore got a stronger dosage of the gas than the others did. He hit his head? What is that I don't even--

And all that stuff with telling various suspects they "murdered" a cop, how does that work? I'm choosing to buy my previous version of his death, rather than this one. Even so, just to me it felt a little like Stetler all over again. Jesse wasn't my favourite, it was way too soon for that...but I liked him, he had potential, and he gave Ryan the Three Musketeers dynamic. (Him and Walter, so thank god Walter's still there. Now the Two Musketeers? :()

That said, Natalia was heartbreaking in her opening scene, and I'm selfishly pleased for that scene because it was unbelievable (so looking forward to seeing how 9.06 plays out). Walter talking to Jesse in the morgue made me sad, too, and damn, the basketball scene at the end! That singlehandedly bumped this episode to an A- in my book, because it was the cutest team moment I've seen on all three CSIs in a long time. I was so surprised by that, but it was fabulous.

I think I would've preferred to see Ryan grieve over Jesse rather than Calleigh, mostly because I think that would've been an extremely intense scene given how much closer they were (and Calleigh was more stoic than grieving in her scene, I thought). But Calleigh and Jesse seemed fairly close-ish as well, so it still came off okay.

These individual scenes were great, but overall throughout the episode, I also feel like mjszud mentioned, the grief was short -- it felt like business as usual during many of the in-between scenes. I'm trying to figure out if that's because there was slightly more focus on Eric and Horatio, and since Eric didn't really know Jesse, he didn't have a reason to grieve; and so wasn't. H clearly was, though, and I was really impressed by his intensity in this ep -- and how into the team he seems to be (comforting Natalia, throwing that one guy against the fence and being all "you murdered a cop", joining the basketball game, the "this one's for Jesse" line...just wonderful :lol:). I kinda love him when he's being a father figure! I wasn't too much a fan of distant!Horatio from the past seasons, but in this episode, he was really on the other end of the spectrum. So I hope that, at least, is something they'll be keeping up with this year.

Um, anyway. A great start to the season, but Jesse shouldn't have died, imo.

13. yen35

yen35 Witness

Firstly, I want to say I really liked the episode and it made an excellent start to the season. I didn't have time to read everyone's posts thoroughly but I read that some people thought Jesse died by hitting his head which I agree would have been really lame, and then others said that he died because he fell near the gas. I agree with the latter view cos I think they showed a scene with him fallen just near the vent and so he must have inhaled a stronger dose of gas, which like any substance in excessive quantity, would have been lethal. I agree he shouldn't have died at all and if the people who make the show wanted to get rid of him, they could have just had him say bye in the first episode and move to a different city (Stella in CSI NY didn't even get to say bye but at least she didn't die!). but death by inhaling gas is more plausible than death by hitting your head I guess.
    I watch the show with my parents and what they like most about it is the crime aspect. As in, we really were thrown and enjoyed the fact that Melissa was involved cos we were so convinced she was not after the apartment/gun set up scene. I don't think they mind too much who's acting in it and who's in what scene cos for 1 thing, they can't remember the characters' names (except Horatio) no matter how many times I tell them (the only show where they knew the character's names was 24!). So, so long as the plots are good, they, and of course me, will keep watching! Obviously if the characters are really boring, I doubt they'll watch it even with a good plot but that is not the case! I loved all the clues and Science they used to solve the crime and of course it was nice to see the case from seasons 4-7 back. I hope Alexx can guest star in a later episode.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  14. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

How lovely are TPTB for making Jesse die for a head trauma when
    1) there are much better way to die for a cop (thank god I hated Speedle's death....this is one is even more ridiculuous :rolleyes:)
    2) Eddie Cibrian was supposed to have a closure for his storyline :rolleyes:
    Indeed.....lovely :scream:

Also, if a co-worker of yours dies in front of you (btw you've learned to enjoy working with him), you certainly don't grieve for him just by playing basketball in the field where he was supposed to play later. Come on I will never believe that Ryan didn't grieve at all when he was right in front of the guy while Natalia was trying to revive him :rolleyes:. Also Natalia tries to revive him & then she grieves for him for what???? Not even a minute because of the credits???? That certainly was respectful towards his fans :rolleyes:

I, of course, won't add anything on the fact that Eric Delko (the guy with a bullet still lodged in his brain) & Calleigh (the one who ended up twice in coma because of her lungs, which said "bye bye" to her) both survived to the gas while Jesse, probably the healthiest guy of the entire show, died because of a ridiculous head trauma :rolleyes:

Also I decided not to add anything on Delko's idiocy who, instead of calling the 911, opted to try & take Calleigh out of the lab......no wonder why he ended up crashing on her :rolleyes:

Yeah the only nice scenes I've seen in the episode were Walter cleaning up Jesse's face & the basketball scene (btw I love Jonathan & Eva playing basketball :lol::lol::lol:).

15. ladyjr8

ladyjr8 Police Officer

fast paced and off running-that's the way a cop show should be like-chasing the bad guys all over the place...get H some good sneakers now!!Really seeing some edge to Horatio-like he's fed up of these bad guys...expected to hear some *&%$ language! funny...good team interaction and yes business as usual in Miami not time to greive just get up and go after more murderers...