Sela/Jo Thread #1 "I'm Jo Danville. I didn't do it."

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by PerfectAnomaly, Sep 25, 2010.

1. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ that was funny, thanks for posting it :)

2. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

Thanks for the link perlnoir!!Sela's interview was great!!

3. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

I love this new character Jo Danville! Funny and smart is a rare combination and she has it. I can't wait to see her in action. Why not, age doesn't matter. I know Sela can do it.

How do you guys think of Jo after two episodes? Was she really putting herself above the others? For me, hell no! :lol: First of all she's one of the leads now. Second, the supporting characters aren't left behind. They still contribute in solving the case. They also have nice character moments with each other. Also, I like the new techniques she just brought into the team. That's part of reinventing the show.

I hope we can have more great scenes between Jo and Flack. I'm not actually a fan of any ships except Flack/Angell. I'm not askinf for romantic scenes between them but I just want them to know each other well. Jo is also great with Mac and Adam.

4. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I personally love Jo. She's getting a lot of attention because she's the newbie, but I think that's OK. It doesn't make sense to bring in a new character and not properly develop them. **coughcough**liketheydidwithLindsay**coughcough**

5. perlnoir

perlnoir Pathologist

6. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Gasp! Is that a CSI: NY photo shoot? :eek:

Beautiful, stunning, flawless, etc. etc.

7. PerfectAnomaly

Ditto.

8. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

She really is. I love those pictures - thanks for posting them, perlnoir!

I gotta say, I'm loving Jo so far. Her interaction with Adam in "Unfriendly Chat" was great - I like that she has a different approach than Mac and the others. It spices things up a bit, which is good considering that the show is in its seventh season.

Plus, she's just so darn fun. :lol:

9. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

^^ She is fun. I really like that about her. She even brings fun out of Mac!! :eek: :lol:

She has worked great with Mac, Flack, Adam, and Sheldon. I want to see her dynamic with Danny, Lindsay, and definitely Sid. I can't wait to see her with Sid :cool:.

10. PerfectAnomaly

I'd actually like to see Sid be a bit distant with her at first. He had almost a weird flirty thing with Stella so I'd like to see him be a bit put off by her replacement at first.

11. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

In that case I would look forward to how Jo handles it. Given her personality I think that she would have a little bit of fun with him if he tries to keep his distance.

12. flack's girl

flack's girl Dead on Arrival

I am really pleased that Sela / Jo seems to be fitting in okay!! That was a huge gap to fill, I can't wait until we get season 7 in the UK!!!!

13. ruby&theheadmen

ruby&theheadmen Lab Technician

I'm finding that watching HD television takes quite a bit of adjustment since you see so much of everything, the good and the bad. You realize just how visual a medium television is. In light of that fact, sadly and I am almost ashamed to say this because it seems so very shallow, HD really takes in how people look and this affects how your view of them in context to a program (I'm not talking about shows with special effects, facial masks things like that, just supposedly regular people).

Sad to say, I had misgivings about Sela Ward from the the beginning, since in a previous post I had made of her I had seen her in an R rated picture from many years ago, in a sexual scene and her looks in it just killed an already lame scene for me (in case anyone wants to know- the movie was called 54, about the New York night club, Studio 54). Now I find myself seeing her again in one of my favorite shows. CSI NY.
    I know I have to accept Melina's reasons (whatever they may be), for leaving the show, but for me seeing past episodes in HD with her in it, with her looks standing out gracefully even more than they did on regular television makes it even more difficult to see the exact opposite in Ms. Ward. For me, she is hard on the eyes, especially her face- a distraction, I am almost happy when she is NOT in a scene, that takes away from her performance rather than enhances it. This may seem very cruel to say, but television IS a visual medium and HD really emphasizes this- it makes or breaks certain individuals- that's the hard truth of it.

Also, like others here I am weary of this FBI-know-it-all attitude that she has presented in the first 2 episodes. I keep thinking that when in CSI Miami, Eva La Rue's character Natalia came on board, she knew a great deal, but equally she had a lot to learn and she did so ( Ryan really didn't want to be her teacher, but Calleigh, when she took over heading the lab during Horatio's absence in Rio, ordered him to in a very nice but firm way). Natalia humbly learned but equally she brought her DNA expertise to the forefront many, many times without having to hit people over the head with a sledgehammer- like Jo is doing right now, with her expertise.

I am coming to the conclusion that perhaps TPTB and CBS is tired of the franchise, or at least certain parts of it to the point that they are self-sabotaging the shows with poor writing and poor casting and looking to some unknown future with shows like Hawaii 5-0, (which I am not watching- I'm not impressed- I prefer the classy original series that I grew up with) this seems to be where the creative energy is going. To the faithful like myself, we are being discarded and I feel if I look that things in those terms, I can begin to deal with the loss of what have been great shows.

I like NY and obviously and for me unfortunately, Ms. Ward is going to be front and center obviously in the program- I'll just have to do my best to tolerate it and wait until Anna pops up- she never fails to capture me with her expressions as well as great talent.

14. PerfectAnomaly

They're all know it alls on the show. Jo is no different in that regard. Plus she's an experienced FBI agent. She shouldn't be a like some newbie who needs to learn everything. That would make her seem like the worst FBI agent ever. Plus NY has never been subtle about introducing new characters. MONTANA and Haylen Becall, anyone?? It's only two episodes in. To say Jo is taking over the show is a bit premature IMO.

As for her looks, that is obviously personal opinion, but there are quite a few people who find Sela Ward to be extremely beautiful. I personally don't find Gary Sinise to be at all attractive and it's really apparent in HD, but I don't think it takes away from the show. As far as Anna goes, I wouldn't call the "scrunch face" and the "dead fish eyes of doom" (her only two expressions) exactly captivating, but again, personal opinion.

15. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

We're judging a performer based on the way they look in HD? :wtf: