Grade 'Unfriendly Chat'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by vegaslights, Oct 1, 2010.

?

How would you grade Unfriendly Chat?

1. A+

19 vote(s)
    35.8%
  2. A

10 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. A-

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. B+

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  5. B

7 vote(s)
    13.2%
  6. B-

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. C+

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Big episode for Adam tonight! Let us know what you think of episode two. :cool:

2. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Lots of Adam - yay! :D

I'm really loving Jo so far (although that one interrogation scene was kind of odd) - and I definitely enjoyed her scenes with Adam. She and Mac seemed like mom and dad in this one, and Adam was their kid. :lol: Sorry, dad, but you should have known Adam would do it anyway. He deserved to get reprimanded, no doubt about that, but I felt so bad for him at the end. Poor woobie.

There were way too many conveniences, though. I know they need to use convenient stuff to keep the storyline moving, but there was just WAY too much in this episode. She's in NYC! Only one building could look at that sculpture! They have the serial number from a rare, expensive type of earphones! The guy in Michigan recorded his daughter's internet habits! Etc. Lots of convenient stuff. (Even the FBI investigating the company.)

Overall, I enjoyed the episode, and I think it had some good character moments. That was the best part for me. (Danny and Hawkes pretending to duel with light sabers at the end was hilarious.)

But what's with Flack? :lol: The hair is killing me, but either they put him in too much makeup, or he has a bad fake tan or something. I dunno. :p

3. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

Good:
    It was nice to have an Adam-centric episode, it was also good character development for Adam - the fight with the guy on the roof was nice.
    The Jo/Adam relationship seems to be working well, a lot better than last episode, IMO.
    I had totally forgotten about Stella until just now, so obviously the show is fine without her.
    Adam did have to pay a consequence for illegally hacking into a computer, which he should have since Mac made it clear that he couldn't it.
    The end was kind of funny (Danny & Hawkes)

Bad:
    The fact that everything takes place in NY - it would have been better if the girl was out of the jurisdiction in France or somewhere.
    Also, that they could find a statue on a building like that? Why is reality always suspended more on CSI than other crime shows?
    The comment about Lucy at the end was really unnecessary and she's in preschool already? So now she's what? 3 or 4?
    Did D/L have any scenes where they weren't working together? I'd rather they didn't show them working together so much but instead once in a while just showed them at home or something.

4. Faylinn

I forgot to mention that! Yeah, that was so weird. She's already in preschool? Is the Black Hole of Continuity warping time that much in NYC? :wtf:

5. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

this'll have to be fast as i'm about to get in the bath, but here goes anyway...

i liked this ep a lot - i really wish they could've come up with more like this and last week's last season.

adam was great, it was nice to see him get more screentime, and he handled it well. i liked how he was so upset, it was nice to see a proper reaction to a death rather than the detached stuff they all do normally.

i liked how mac and adam interacted - i was pleased mac saved bollocking adam til after the case was done, it would've been counterproductive to do it earlier. i was also very glad he put his foot down over the hacking, not that it did much good. however, the bollocking at the end really did sound quite painful. not that it was wrong to do it, i think he was right to suspend adam, but it was nice that they showed he didn't like doing it.

i also liked how danny and sheldon tried to cheer adam up after - although it came across as a tad insensitive, they meant well.

i really liked jo with adam, her little mind digging tricks and when she told him to man up as a ploy. i was pleased she didn't let his dig about her reasons for leaving the fbi go anywhere, it wasn't his business and she was right to cut him off. but her advice to him afterwards was great - it was a nice balance between boss-like and friendly.

i also quite liked jo's interrogation technique, and flack's "now i'm thirsty!" comment :)

i liked the little conversation where mac quoted einstein and shortly after jo quoted her dad - it neatly showed their different approaches, he's all about the science, she's all about the empathy. nice way to show it, not too mallety.

i really liked how even tho adam was wrong to use that site, curiosity got the better of everyone - mac trying not to give in was really funny, and poor jo seemed to get a lot of weirdoes. mac helping that kid with his homework was quite possibly THE most adorable thing EVER :adore:

i also really liked the bit with the soldier - although it was maybe a bit too heavy handed on the "hey isn't NYC amazing" thing (after all we got that last week too) and maybe trying to shoe-horn in a nod to gary's military work, on the other hand, it was a plausible way to do it and i thought it was kind of sweet.

oh and i really liked mac & jo's little chat conversation at the end - flirty much? :lol:

edit: i totally agree with faylinn about the conveniences - i know why they did it but really, given a global website, the victim just happens to be in the only room in manhattan with a great view of a really distinctive sculpture? come on!

don't remember an awful lot about DL or sheldon, sheldon was just kinda getting on with business, and DL were, well, fairly normal. that conversation about lucy was... erm, i guess sweet but also a bit grating. but not *too* bad. although i also agree on the age thing, i did boggle a bit at that, preschool? already? she was only born... well, not that long ago anyway!

basically this ep was obviously all about establishing links between mac & adam, mac & jo and jo & adam, and on that front it worked really well. it had the right amount of humour - something which that kind of storyline is quite a good vehicle for anyway - but kept the murder case ticking along too. so yeah, a solid B+ for me, again, i'm not scoring too highly as i'm hoping this season will pull stuff out of the bag later on that merits an A :)

6. KaiLUxO

KaiLUxO Police Officer

Great episode! Thought it was better than last week. Though the girl had to be in NY. I was thinking we might get out of the country lol.

Loved the interaction between Jo, Mac, & Adam. I really like Jo. She's reminding me of Catherine in a way.

:) Adam. You knew he would go against Mac, but who wouldn't.

I liked Danny and Lindsay together. Glad they moved on and didn't mention anything about the medal, blah blah. But their preschooler mastering the iphone?

Thought the ending was cute. Not the most unique way to end an episode considering it related to the case BUT that's what makes it nice :)

Overall I give it an A.

7. JohnBK

JohnBK Victim

I really loved this episode! One of the best episodes since season 5! Loved the case, loved how the characters were. I love how Danny, and Hawkes have been doing jokes, and being funny this season. I gave this episode an A+! :)

8. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

We went out for a late dinner so I only caught the last 15 minutes. I'll have to watch the rest later. However, I do have this to say. Lindsay leaves evidence unattended while the lab is being evaluated for reaccreditation and Mac says, "I'm more worried about you." Adam did whatever he did and got the shit kicked out of him and almost killed and he gets torn a new one and suspended for three days. Whatever. :rolleyes:

And the whole thing with the two bosses playing with the webcam/chat thingie at the end was supposed to be all EL-OH-EL and as far as Sela/Jo and Gary/Mac having chemistry it was. But considering the reaming Adam got for doing it I was kinda pissed about it too.

I liked the end scene with Danny and Lindsay. I actually liked Lindsay better than Danny. :eek: The whole overprotective Dad thing has never been funny or cute. And what's up with Lucy being in preschool now?? This show needs a Tardis to explain their timelines. :wtf:

9. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

It's not really the same situation. If Lindsay had been told NOT to do something (illegal nonetheless) and proceeded to do it anyway she'd probably be suspended as well.

10. sjhubby

sjhubby Prime Suspect

Sorry but I can't stand Jo. She is to much. I am through with this show. She is just to in my face. An expert on everything. I didn't know that beside being a psysic she is also a therapist. I only watched because of Adam, but I don't like the way the have him turned back into a babbleing nerd again. I hate JO. As far as AJ goes he has enough other things going on that I don't need to watch this crappy show anymore.

11. PerfectAnomaly

I don't know what Adam did since I didn't see the first 45 minutes of the episode, but I'll believe Lindsay will get in trouble for something when I see it. She gets a pass on everything she does. ETA2: Plus there's the fact that what Lindsay did could've cost the lab its acreditation, which would've called EVERY case they were working on or had worked on into suspicion. I don't see how you can get more serious than that.

ETA: I should really stop reading/watching anything with spoilers. I watched AJ's video of the stunts and when the scene on the roof happened all I could do was pick out where it was so obvious it was a stunt man instead of AJ. Normally I don't pay that much attention, but tonight it was just so freaking obvious.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  12. Faylinn

^^ Adam told Mac that he could track down the laptop by hacking into the company's computer system and sending the computer a virus (or something to that effect). Mac basically said 'hell no', but Adam did it anyway. Jo came to Adam and confronted him about it because the FBI was watching the company - and they caught Adam hacking in. Mac reamed him out for disobeying orders and doing something illegal (which got the attention of the FBI no less). Big no-no.

So it was a completely different situation than Lindsay and the evidence thing - not that I don't agree that everybody should get equal punishment when need be, but I don't think these two situations are comparable.

13. PerfectAnomaly

Lindsay didn't do anything illegal, but she still put the future of the entire lab in jeopardy. In my book that calls for at least a good reaming by Mac. I'm not saying Adam didn't deserve what he got. I'm saying it just makes Mac look like he's picking and choosing who can get away with doing wrong and who can't.

14. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Jo's interrogation techniques remind me of Deputy Chief Johnson on The Closer. F.B.I. trains well!

The Chatroulette-esque storyline was pretty 'meh' overall, but I did enjoy the character moments.

Flack's hair didn't bother me as much this week! :lol: I will admit that I think Flack/Jo would be kind of... hot together. :p But I still am aiming for a Flack/Danny hook-up. ;)

This week gets a B-.

15. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i can see both sides really. although what adam did was arguably "worse" than what lindsay did, and he fully deserved that painful bollocking, what lindsay did certainly wasn't small fry and she should have got at least some kind of heat over it, but didn't.

that said, mac didn't have a go at adam at all for going on chat sites during work time, and did seem genuinely concerned that he was ok over and above being pissed off about him doing that - and although not quite comparable because of the jeopardising of the lab, that was probably more on the level of what lindsay did so that kind of matched up. his comment at the start about being more interested in what adam actually saw suggests adam was trying to explain away what he did but that mac was more concerned with (a) the case and (b) adam, in fact i think he asked if adam was ok more than once.

back when lindsay left the evidence unattended, she didn't apologise or try to explain her actions (at least from what i remember), at least adam tried to make amends! so yeah, i think basically adam had that coming but lindsay should've got worse (especially when also compared to what aiden did). hmm...