Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D

• D-

• F

Votes: 3 5.7%

• Total voters
Oh, but I really enjoyed Mac in this episode ;) And the scene where he was talking to the kid doing his homework. Totally loved that! I am glad that they only showed Mac tearing Adam a new one, rather than having to listen to that convo. We all can agree Adam was wrong, but I can see why he did that. As a side note, Gary looked mighty fine in that episode, so my eyes were glued to the screen. Love when he wears maroon. His eyes just sparkled.

yep :D i agree!

What bother me and bothered my sister a lot more (who really doesn't watch CSI) is Jo. I understand introducing a new character is hard but that doesn't mean you leave the other characters just sitting around. Adam barely knows Jo but they insisted on her being the one in all his scenes when I'd rather have maybe one of the regulars with an established background with each other. Someone who knows Adam and they can talk it out.

i thought the opposite - i was glad she spoke to him and not an established character. in the first instance it gave them a chance to show she does some weird psychic shizzle, ok, that was kinda silly, but i thought the bit where she discovered he'd been hacking and he tried to make out she was some kind of whistleblower was good - it was nice to see them testing how far they could go and also made a nice contrast to the somewhat silly scene they did last week with the fingerprinting. i thought she was just the right person to have that chat with him as it established she can do firm-boss-like and friendly-concern equally.

1. Adam ran down the stairs to catch Mac in the garage. From the 35th floor, the elevator would have been faster. The phone would have been even more faster. Dumb.

haha yeah that was quite funny - although it got a bit confusing too. when adam went to get his car, it was on the roof. yet mac's car was somewhere downstairs. i think it's safe to assume that (a) mac's car was on either the ground or basement floor because no one can drive off the 26th floor or whatever, and (b) the roof was of another building - we've seen the building they're meant to be in, their 35th floor is like half way up, why the hell would they have a car park on the roof?! all very odd.
4. Mac was in the finance guy's office when he started calling Adam to warn him. He was in his car, driving, already wearing a vest, before the call connected. WTF???:wtf: And he got there in a couple of minutes.

because he's supermac :D

i liked this episode. it was something current and different.

i felt bad for Adam. he has a different kind of guilt than everyone else has and he didn't know how to deal with it. he did put up a good fight with the murderer i was impressed. i was happy to see Mac yelling at him b/c it's time he starts being a little tougher with the team when they step out of line. and when he said to Adam "you think you're replaceable?" that was a great line and to me it just said a lot about how he cares for the whole team.

i was cracking up when Danny and Hawkes were making Star Wars references and "fighting" with pretend lightsabers haha.

Jo is fabulous she's already one of my favorite characters on tv lol. i just like her approach to things.

i was going out of mind with all the "technology" they were using. there's a database for architectural features on buildings? Hawkes was able to reconstruct a guy's face from just the eyes? i said right off the bat that the building ornamentation was Art Deco and Hawkes said from the 1930s... a lot of NY's architecture is Art Deco. oh and nevermind this girl just happened to be in NYC.

when Adam said he wanted to hack into the companies computer system i thought of Hardison from "Leverage" and then the teacher Lindsay and Danny were talking to in the next scene plays FBI agent McSweetin on "Leverage" from time to time... that freaked me out a little lol.

all in all not bad but i have to give the ep a B b/c chat roulette makes me think of Tosh.0 and it was gross lol and it was unbelievable at some points.

I give this episode a BIG, fat, juicy A+.
Of the 2 episodes they've had in season 7, so far...this is the best one. I know Adam disobeyed Mac's order but I still couldn't help but feel sorry for Adam when Mac was chewing him out at the end of the episode. I ABSOLUTELY LOVED the last scene where that site randomly put Jo and Mac together. I thought that scene was sweet where Jo took that laptop to the window to show that soldier in Afghanistan (or was it Iraq) the view of NYC. My favorite scene was that guy using Mac as a cheat sheet. :lol:
I have to admit I'm surprised that Danny or Flack didn't check out that site. I wonder if there are sites like that. If there are, I'd like to find one just to see who I'd be randomly paired up with.

Last edited:
FANTASTIC WOW:eek: Poor A.J, watching this murder right before his eyes. He was so good in this episode, and so traumutized and sickened. How they found this low-life creep amazing. The whole team Mac at his best. And Jo with her excellent coping skills. She's good. smart, knowledgable and funny. She's fitting in just perfect with this team. Danny & Lindsay together in that apt. their so cute and so respectable of one another. The hi-tech gizmos they feature on this CSI are simply incredible. Good episode all the way around:bolian:

Another great episode from CSI:NY early in the season.:)

I loved this episode mainly because it focused on Adam,a character who has been neglected a lot in the past seasons.:(

Most times he shines when it comes to comedy but this time he shared many awesome dramatic scenes as well!!:guffaw:
I love his pairing with Jo.I liked their chemistry in the first episode and I hope they build up a nice friendship.:)
The case was also interesting but the main fact that I enjoyed this episode so much is because of Adam!!!:lol:

Great episode overall!!An A for me!!

I'm happy that Adam gets a big part in this episode. Yahoo Chat is only what I can find similar to the whole webcams-in-chatrooms type of Internet conferencing. I saw my share of creeps in Yahoo webcams similar to the episode, though those webcam scenes in the show don't creep me out much. And how cute that they made this kid look decent compared to the older creeps, even when trying to use Mac as a cheat sheet. I was expecting Li'l Cheater to give Mac an off-camera one-finger salute for refusing to help him cheat or curse him out. I do love the "You must not have kids" line. Such a sweet kid.

I do enjoy Internet-related crime cases. It hasn't occured to anyone, not even Adam, that Sass may have been underaged?? I mean, she looked that way to me. And it's nothing new that underaged people would chat with older people, even in questionable situations. "May have fallen in love with her..." What the freak?

I wonder if the writers wrote out Jo to be this know-it-all former FBI worker, continuing with her psychological speeches to flow in perfectly with the recent one-case episodes, as opposed to the get-up-and-go-fight-crime Stella on fast-paced 2-case episodes we all knew. Will this continue on, as Jo won't have any imperfections or flaws that can remind the viewers that she is indeed human after all? I do enjoy Sela Ward, as I think it's a new, different type of character that can pretty much bring this show to a new different direction. I do worry that this show (as well as the original CSI) will continue on with 1-case episodes straight.

The Danny/Hawkes lightsaber referrences can seem like a brightener for Adam after getting the lecture from hell from Mac. I really can't see it as being insensitive.

As for D/L, Yawn City!! Enough with the pairing already! We get it that they're married with a child, strangely already in preschool. I guess using or cornering the boss to be their Godfather can lessen or rid any lectures or reprimandings for whatever mistakes they made while on the job. Nice work. The whole Lindsay shooting Shane Casey, and being the ingrate to her medal for protecting Lucy would have served as her ultimate big exit from the show since she has been as useful as a condom vending machine in the Vatican.

This episode get a C+. Due to the many inconsistencies, D/L, Lucy in pre-school, and NO Sid!! The great moments were Mac and the cheating kid, and Jo showing the soldier the night lights of the Big Apple.

Last edited:
This is the best the show has been in years. Sela Ward fits right into the cast and she has really brought a new dynamic to this show that has been missing. Jo and Mac have some great scenes together.

My favorite scene of the episode was where she was showing the NYC skyline to the soldier.

A rarity for me, but I give this one an A+.

I really enjoyed this episode, lots of Adam which made it great. It was great for Adam to have an episode which revolved around him, imho he's totally underused... Some parts of it the tension was just too much though, especially when he almost got ran over, I swear my heart literally skipped a beat...

I'm really liking Jo, she's fitting into the team really well, to me it already seems like she's always been there, which is good thing. :D I love how she was able to help Adam out, and like it's been said already, she's kinda like a motherly figure to him, which is really sweet. I also loved the scene when she was chatting to the solider, that was really sweet. :D Also like it's been said, I wanna see her Flack hook up, they'd be totally hot. ;) But anyways, that's for another thread...

One question though, Where's Sid? We haven't had much of him yet, which upsets me greatly... Adam's had an ep, Sid needs one too...

It hasn't occured to anyone, not even Adam, that Sass may have been underaged?? I mean, she looked that way to me. And it's nothing new that underaged people would chat with older people, even in questionable situations.
Yeah, when I first saw the commercials for this one I was like, 'That girl looks kinda young.' I guess Adam has a sixth sense about whether or not girls are already in college. :shifty:

^I don't think 7 is the age kids go to proper school in most states. Here it's 2 years earlier than that. In the US pre-school is normally two classes - 3-year olds & 4-year olds, then when the child turns 5 they go to Kindergarten, age 6 they start 1st grade and upwards to 12th grade. However, if a parent doesn't think their child is mature enough to start Kindergarden at 5 then they can wait a year and enroll the child the following year.

Although pre-school isn't required, it's not run by the state or anything. The pre-school I went to was at a Methodist Church and it was like only two days a week or something I think.

Ah right, see I'm British and don't know that much about the American school system. In the UK kids start Primary school at 4 sometimes 5 if they were born from September onwards, and then at 11 they leave primary school and go onto high school which they leave at 16 after doing GCSE's.

Finally I could watch this eppy (silly streaming didn't work even when i tried!) and my vote is not an A+,A-,A, B,C,D,E,F or even Z (I only keep that one for DL melodramma:p). My vote is an A+++!! All kind of awesome!:lol:
I loved EVERYTHING! EVERYTHING!:lol:

Loved the intro and the music , technology and how Adam was involved in this. It was very "Adam-ish":lol: specially when he saw Mac going to the elevator. He was SOOO in character there. Also i loved the way Jo worked on his memories and how Jo, Sheldon and Adam worked to decipher where the girl was:thumbsup:

A miracle: It didn't bother me those brief DL instants (just on this eppy. I can't promise to do that in the future:p) Actually they were correct and Lindsay wasn't so annoying...(just this episode..just this episode:lol:)

And really REALLY loved the interrogation room scene with Jo and Don:drool: Jo is a rich character even tough we still don't know much about her which it makes her more remarkable. She adds fresh air maybe because nobody is pretending she is replacing Stella mou. She enriches the lab with her profiling expertise which it's a different area nobody else did before and i need to say Jo and Don look simply great :p

I truly appreciate how she is connected to everyone in the lab but specially how she is connected to Adam. I don't know if it is related to the fact she has kids but the way she talked to him and went to see how he was (when he was inside the truck) was very sweet and even sweeter when she told him about her former FBI colleagues already found stuff on D Financial and adviced him in a very tender way:thumbsup: Excellent Adam /Jo moment there:thumbsup:

I liked very much the technology used here and it made me remember i read an article once how all technology used in the show does exists in big americans cities in real CSI labs, not just cgi magic :D At the end it was the one that gave us the killer:bolian:

Loved Mac lecturing Adam at the end:lol: and Danny and Sheldon playing Star Wars:lol: And Jo finding a Viking on the screen:guffaw::guffaw: And Mac helping the kid:lol:

The best????: Jo and the Marine. AWESOME EXQUISITE EMOTIONAL SCENE:bolian::beer:

Big Question: where is Sid?:confused:

Conclusion: I simply LOVED it. We have emotional and hilarious moments. Well written, well played. Great music. Did I mention Sela is great?:hugegrin: Loved all interaction and the case was interesting.

Pleaseeeeee more of these episodes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps, I don't know in America but here pre school can start at 2 if it is necessary. So i didn't find that detail strange (or maybe Lindsay was referring Lucy's future pre- school would have Informatique)

^I don't think 7 is the age kids go to proper school in most states. Here it's 2 years earlier than that. In the US pre-school is normally two classes - 3-year olds & 4-year olds, then when the child turns 5 they go to Kindergarten, age 6 they start 1st grade and upwards to 12th grade. However, if a parent doesn't think their child is mature enough to start Kindergarden at 5 then they can wait a year and enroll the child the following year.

Although pre-school isn't required, it's not run by the state or anything. The pre-school I went to was at a Methodist Church and it was like only two days a week or something I think.

Ah right, see I'm British and don't know that much about the American school system. In the UK kids start Primary school at 4 sometimes 5 if they were born from September onwards, and then at 11 they leave primary school and go onto high school which they leave at 16 after doing GCSE's.
In the US it depends on the county/city.
For me it was K-6 (Elementary School) 7-8 (Middle School) and 9-12 (High School). Other places have 7-12 (Secondary School). There's now way it's always broken up - it's not even consistent within the same state. We have SOLs (Virginia Standards of Learning) that you take at various points. In New York they have the Regents Exam. Every state does their own thing. But pretty much the graduating age is 18.

My thoughts on the episode tend to run along Jo's line, "It's all fun and gigabytes until..." :p.

Pertains to not only the ep's social/tech theme, but also the show's usage of Ubertech in telling/expediting the story, not to mention how some viewers probably watched it.

Was OK. Not outstanding. Some very nice moments, some odd ones, still generally entertaining, and I think the momentum of the show in S7 seems to be moving in a positive direction.

Felt a lite, fluffy ep, possibly best epitomized by the cute girl dancing about in short shorts to start it off. Aside from a handful of moments, it didn't get a whole lot deeper; though it did rather cutely make us all voyeurs, etc. The case and the victim felt like vehicles, not the core of the ep. On the other hand, mebbe that's what made it work, in the end. I am glad that Adam got more than the usual to do. The general character interaction is still what really elevated the show, but it was AJ's contributions that gave it the most pathos.

General musings & observations:

The Medium Is / Six Degrees of / Ubertech, UberPsych, UberDatabases

My umlauts are sadly lacking here, I realize :p.

Ubertech should get screen credits, they're nearly prominent enough to be characters in the show :lol:. Sid and the Virtual Autopsy were absent, but Edna made an appearance, wearing pink this week and looking good :p. Anyhoo. There definitely was overmuch Tech-Induced Investigative Serendipity, made via an armada of shiny LookitMeh monitors. (That said, the screen content created for that sequence was admittedly pretty and slick). For me, after what seemed a rather long, drawn-out sequence of Sass dancing about in order to establish NY's version of Chatroulette, (not to mention fulfill its mandate of being !Sexy etc.), the zippy fashion of establishing her whereabouts on a global scale was all the more amusing in the juxtaposition.

Okay, dandy, the manner in which TPTB structured the story did let the premise be quickly established, and then put into it's more typical box lunch for the rest of the episode. The series of choices was actually sort of impressive in its chutzpah, if also equally absurd in the disbelief it asked you to suspend in accepting some of the liberties taken :lol:. The Tardis strikes again. Also some impressive databases and software they perpetually have access to, with curiously precise image matches, no less :p. It was, however, nice to see that the rest of the world was acknowledged to exist, and that a social media/cyber-based story should and did have to account for physicality in relative Time & Place.

What this ep also provided was an example wherein Empathy & Science, Psychology/Technology, Intuition/Data, yada, met in the middle, (apparently then took Uber-performance-enhancing-'roids), and produced instant Everytink Iz Connekted/Go Team results: a Cognitive Interview prompts Adam's recollection of a teevee temperature icon, and ever so swiftly, Sass' location is determined, in a way I really don't need to go over again, so thoroughly has everyone already commented :lol:. (I suppose this also makes 58 the new 42 :p).

In this we clearly see TPTB's approach to the show has not substantially altered :shifty::p. A spoonful of glitz makes the ridiculous go down. Make it !Sexy, !Topical, !Relevant, !Fun, !Expedient, !VisuallyImpressive (all terms are relative with meaning subject to change at any time); combine such sleight of hand well enough and mebbe, just mebbe, it will distract folk from asking questions, or hell, even in retaining any functioning neurons, having been so bombarded :lol:.

...Sigh. Gritty, NY is not, hasn't been for a long time, and it seems it never will regain even a hint of such as a defining characteristic. Glitz does have its uses. It would just be nice if NY managed to feel grounded in the streets of the city from time to time too.

Stuff

- NY is continuing to have an incredibly curious relationship with Time. I'm about at the point of recommending it as a Fringe case, as there seems no explanation. NY's Manhattan is clearly subject to some strange and selectively applied temporal properties :lol:.

- Chelsea University. Seems it's simply not possible for anyone to obtain higher education at any other institution. I suppose that's where Tyler's going, too.

- Diversity seems to have entered the lab settings thru the background characters milling about if nothing else. It's a start.

- the music was a bit better in this ep, more integrated, and where it stood out it was for good reason.

- Production wise, for all the glitz and shinies, there were some less impressive bits. a) Mac driving while taking Adam's call. I can only assume that was a screenshot. Gad help me if they spent the $$ on anything other to have it turn out like that. b) Still more fx/on/cuts. I will put myself to reconciling that this will remain a pet peeve for me regarding NY, cos fer damn certain it don't look like NY is about to make a move to anything other anytime soon. Alas. c) Adam's make-up roofside, post fight/road rash. All things that tweaked an eyebrow in their respective moments.

(The "nice chatting with ya" line was equally cheesy and odd, unless of course Mac was able to fully brief Adam on who was trying to run him down and why in the nanosecond before the rooftop road rash attack started).

Team

- Flack didn't have too much to do this week. Mac seemed to spend a great deal of the early scenes in elevators, or generally in transit, driving, or in walkie/talkie scenes :lol:. I also noted that Sheldon was looking mighty sharp in this ep :lol:. Not that the others weren't, of course. What. Just an observation ;)

- I did like the various Chat scenes added intermittently in the ep, mostly for the humor they brought thru the personalities who popped up as chat partners, but the best for me were Jo & the soldier, Mac and the kid doing his homework, and at the end, surprisingly enough, Mac and Jo. Serious analytic research indeed :p. Again, not what I was expecting of a friendly rivalry :lol:, but I do like the dynamic between them already.

- One of the best parts of the ep by far, that captured the spirit and also the pace I'd love to see more consistently thru S7, was Sheldon and Danny, doing Obi-Wannabe-Kenobi for Adam :lol:. It touched on the N(3)RD Squad, pop culture, buddy vibe, and the relationships that do help give this show part of its identity. More of this sort of thing, perty plz.

- DL. They continue to prove an overt irritant to me. I'm still oversaturated from the cliffhanger. And now each of the first two eps has had DL. They process scenes together, they work in labs together, they do interviews together, they have their DL bantery scenes together, they seemingly appear by default together. They are chronically irksome. Even as understated as they may be relative to what was foisted upon viewers in previous seasons. Their end of ep scene of commentary on tech, complete to Lucy, was a little overdone as narrative, and generally just not possessing a dynamic or energy that would make them more fun to watch. Additionally, Messer as over protective dad is also wearing thin.

(Contrast that to the earlier Jo/Mac scene similarly devoted to tech, and also how the ep ended, with Mac & Jo each taking another spin on the chat site; both moments, for me, were far more concise, illustrative of character and issue, and far more fun. And if anyone is reading this thinking I'm suggesting Mac & Jo as a romantic pairing, I am not, though I'm not necessarily opposed to !Tension, and the point has been missed :p).

Here's a trade off I'd like to see. Less DL, more Sid, for example. Spend the money, have Bob Joy in more often. Perhaps we can also establish a charity fund, sell some stripey scarves over the holidays or suchlike, to have D & L separated, returned to their own full names and separate entities, who do not by default appear together in every facet of their work just cos it simplifies their commute. If I could Next their scenes, I surely would. O Wait. I can. Ta.

Hacking, Obi-Wannabee, & Mebbe Even Falling in Wuv (a widdle bit).

I was rather surprised that Adam, in his fervor thru stakes made personal, actually proposed hacking as a way to track the killer down at Draga. But McGee he ain't, and Mac ain't Gibbs :p.

I like that this also paved the way to Adam and Jo's best scene to date, far better than the "Man Up" poke earlier on. Adam's conflicting drive was nicely played by AJ, managing both to lash out at Jo and also apologize and open up & explain his comment to Jo on her FBI background, also neatly introducing some of her backstory. I'll come back to Jo again later. In trying to reconcile that he'd shared the last three minutes of Sass' life, even Adam's line that he'd "seen her joy," was good; AJ played that in a way that made completely feel for the guy.

But. ..."maybe even fell in love a little bit?" ...Made me snort my beverage a little bit :p. It was another piece in the ep that seemed unnecessarily inserted. The moment was already at a poignant level, and, not everything needs to be ratcheted up gratuitously. Mallets and ratchets and ubertech, oh boy :lol:.

I was admittedly surprised by Adam's fighting prowess :lol:. It wasn't beyond the pale tho, especially relative to the rest of the events roofside.

I also appreciated that Mac seemed more concerned about the murder and Adam, than Chatting on shift, and that the reprimand stemmed from the hacking Adam undertook after he'd firmly declined it as an investigative option. I do agree that reprimands have been written in rather haphazardly thru the seasons, and that a lack of seeming consistency is always a background presence when we are presented with such, but I'd rather that there were at least some than none.

Key Masters & Psych Chew Toys.

With affection, Jo has unofficially been dubbed the Key Master at our place :lol:. An occasional demi-god possessed by UberInsight, on a near Mentalist level, ready to bust out Psych Profiling on anyone's arse in any circumstance. (No, she's not nearly at that point :lol:, and it's more of a poke at NY's propensities that will hopefully not befall her :p). I like Jo. A lot. Very much indeed. But I'd also love to see the writing relax a wee bit, and continue to also give her more nuanced opportunities for her character, to balance some aspects which, at this point, come across as presented with some rather broad strokes. (I essentially feel the same about Mac, so perhaps it's fitting that the pair of them are running the department :p). Poking aside, I am very much looking forward to seeing them do so, I think they do play off each other well.

The show does seem to have been rejunvenated in having Jo and her traits to write to and for, but some scenes have come across as a bit ...exuberant :p. Some of the mallets in the premiere, and the interrogation scene she shared with Flack in this ep are some examples of the broad. The interrogation here was ...odd, and for me, not as much fun nor as integrated as the Tissue Box Tactic of the last ep. Not to mention the Bad Ass/Bad Apple boyfriend they were questioning was, IMO, horribly played. What an awkward, odd scene, not really sure what they were supposed to be able to do with that :vulcan::lol:. It was fun to see Flack enjoying the proceedings, and I still believed SW & Jo, but I was a wee bit perplexed by the whole thing nonetheless :lol:

I also hafta admit I puzzled over something else I'm apparently still adjusting to with Jo. It took a second ep to decipher and confirm it :lol:. I think it has to do with the pacing Jo brings. It is a different rhythm, a different set of gears that shift in and out of different circumstances. I think it does generally work well, but something I've had to mull and adjust to.

I think Jo's scenes with Adam, especially the later ones are among the best SW's had to play so far. I liked that Jo went the personal route, warning him off and giving him a chance to backtrack before things went too far to repair. I also liked all their scenes as progression between them; their interpersonal introduction in the premiere was more bristly than any of the others, and now, conversely, Adam and Jo may have a better or deeper rapport than such yet achieved between Jo and any of the others beyond perhaps Mac.

As far as Jo's background. I liked that another element was hinted at and intro'd in her scenes with Adam. I like that Jo's FBI background isn't simply past tense, and continues to be part of her life and identity. I liked her Chat scene with the soldier from Alabama on leave; it nicely resonated Jo's southern background (and that of SW), and, it was also two characters with a common connection each partly finding themselves considering what home is. NY is only starting to be home for Jo, but one can bet that a realtime webcam view of the NY skyline to a soldier serving overseas would provide a tether home regardless of where he was from.

These moments, along with the phone call in the premiere, also followed up on here, are some of the more nuanced ones letting us get to know her without having to duck mallets. (I think NY, as a trait over the seasons, has often done mini vignettes well). Jo's humor and banter, displayed so prominently in the premiere, were toned down a bit, but still present, which I think continues to bode well; it's a key element she helps bolster on the show, a new variant in that arsenal, if you will :p.

The Jo scenes which I've enjoyed less are some of her more "profiley," button-pushing ones, wherein she was written to approach people or situations essentially as near psych-chew toys to play with. She's mostly applied that to either discerning information on a victim, a suspect, or a set of circumstances, and has only, in the team, really plied anything similar to Adam. I like that it's part of her arsenal, but did hafta muse briefly on what about it I'm wary of the potential for:

Should the the show be too heavy handed with it, it could come across less as a selective and deliberate tool she herself applies in certain scenarios, and could instead be misconstrued as more an over-knowing & manipulative personality trait.

Her sense of fun, blended with her empathy, a certain groundedness, and self humor, have pretty much won me over, and personally I like a bit of frisson in how I feel about a character at times; I'd like to think it indicates a certain humanity. It's early days yet, but IMO I think Jo is working out just fine, and I think the show is already benefiting from SW coming aboard.

-

Torn between a B- and a C. Somewhere in that range.

I think this ep will prove largely unmemorable, even with Adam getting more focus. The first few shows will get some wiggle room. This one? Not bad. If this is a new average, it's still an improvement. Would like to see it find its stride. (With the pace of filming, I hope they've already found it. Guess we'll see). Still think there's potential it hasn't reached yet.

Felt a lite, fluffy ep, possibly best epitomized by the cute girl dancing about in short shorts to start it off. Aside from a handful of moments, it didn't get a whole lot deeper; though it did rather cutely make us all voyeurs, etc. The case and the victim felt like vehicles, not the core of the ep.

i think that's fair. i actually enjoyed it a lot but i also hope they go a little bit less fluffylite as the season progresses.

My umlauts are sadly lacking here, I realize :p.

you mean your ümlauts? ;) :p

There definitely was overmuch Tech-Induced Investigative Serendipity, made via an armada of shiny LookitMeh monitors.

also, did anyone manage to count how many times they namechecked ipads? i didn't actually count but it was a *lot* - aside from the headphones (i have no idea if that was a real brand they named but let's face it, 6 grand headphones are unlikely to appeal to the average viewer), none of the other tech stuff really got named, the laptop was just a generic laptop, etc etc, but the ipads got mentioned every other sentence! i wonder how much apple had to pay for that....

In this we clearly see TPTB's approach to the show has not substantially altered :shifty::p. A spoonful of glitz makes the ridiculous go down. Make it !Sexy, !Topical, !Relevant, !Fun, !Expedient, !VisuallyImpressive (all terms are relative with meaning subject to change at any time)...
...Sigh. Gritty, NY is not, hasn't been for a long time, and it seems it never will regain even a hint of such as a defining characteristic. Glitz does have its uses. It would just be nice if NY managed to feel grounded in the streets of the city from time to time too.

definitely. they need to at least give some balance.

NY is continuing to have an incredibly curious relationship with Time.

that's one way of putting it :D:lol::lol:

I did like the various Chat scenes added intermittently in the ep, mostly for the humor they brought thru the personalities who popped up as chat partners, but the best for me were Jo & the soldier, Mac and the kid doing his homework, and at the end, surprisingly enough, Mac and Jo. Serious analytic research indeed :p. Again, not what I was expecting of a friendly rivalry :lol:, but I do like the dynamic between them already.

yep, those were highlights for me too, it seemed to fit with the characters which was nice. i agree about mac's driving scene too, ergh, what happened?!

-
ne of the best parts of the ep by far, that captured the spirit and also the pace I'd love to see more consistently thru S7, was Sheldon and Danny, doing Obi-Wannabe-Kenobi for Adam :lol:. It touched on the N(3)RD Squad, pop culture, buddy vibe, and the relationships that do help give this show part of its identity. More of this sort of thing, perty plz.

at first i thought it came over as a little insensitive but having watched it again i changed my mind, it was kind of sweet, and definitely recaptured the N(3)RD vibe. hope to see more :)

Additionally, Messer as over protective dad is also wearing thin.

yep! very very thin...

Contrast that to the earlier Jo/Mac scene similarly devoted to tech, and also how the ep ended, with Mac & Jo each taking another spin on the chat site; both moments, for me, were far more concise, illustrative of character and issue, and far more fun. And if anyone is reading this thinking I'm suggesting Mac & Jo as a romantic pairing, I am not, though I'm not necessarily opposed to !Tension, and the point has been missed :p.

oh yeah, definitely agree - it made sense that they'd both have another go (especially after mac's funny little scene where he was trying not to let it distract him from srsbsns) and the flirty element was nice, it seems they're testing each other's boundaries a bit and that's all good. and like you say, regardless of whether they get it on (i kinda hope not) it's great that there's chemistry and it's milked a little, because tension can add a lot to characters/dynamic.

I think Jo's scenes with Adam, especially the later ones are among the best SW's had to play so far. I liked that Jo went the personal route, warning him off and giving him a chance to backtrack before things went too far to repair. I also liked all their scenes as progression between them; their interpersonal introduction in the premiere was more bristly than any of the others, and now, conversely, Adam and Jo may have a better or deeper rapport than such yet achieved between Jo and any of the others beyond perhaps Mac.

I also appreciated that Mac seemed more concerned about the murder and Adam, than Chatting on shift, and that the reprimand stemmed from the hacking Adam undertook after he'd firmly declined it as an investigative option.

i liked both those elements - jo's chat with adam was just the right side of being a warning but with enough sympathy/concern to make it not seem harsh, and mac's bawling out, while obviously kind of harsh, was tempered by him clearly not wanting to do it, i liked that it showed up the team aspect too, that they look out for each other a bit, even if they have to shout about it.

But I'd also love to see the writing relax a wee bit, and continue to also give her more nuanced opportunities for her character, to balance some aspects which, at this point, come across as presented with some rather broad strokes. (I essentially feel the same about Mac, so perhaps it's fitting that the pair of them are running the department :p). Poking aside, I am very much looking forward to seeing them do so, I think they do play off each other well.

yes please!

also, did anyone manage to count how many times they namechecked ipads? ....got mentioned every other sentence! i wonder how much apple had to pay for that....
...yah, did notice that too. Not really about what they "had" to pay so much as what they probably offered/agreed to pay. Not surprising that shows are needing/willing to augment budgets here and there with such things. Gadget placement is easy I guess, but even KFC and the like have made it into prime time shows :lol:. Show bidness.

(PS. Just saw a vid via twitter on how chicken McNuggets are made. If you're luvin' your spleen and general sense of well being, do yerselves a favor, y'all: Be afraid. Be very Afraid).

that's one way of putting it :D:lol::lol:
Lateral understatement amuses me :lol:

i agree about mac's driving scene too, ergh, what happened?!
...evidently TPTB are directing their iPad $ to other areas :p

yep! very very thin...
*sigh* I really don't know what to say on Messer anymore. He just seems to have a whole different, much more energetic and fun vibe when he's with other characters outside of DL. Not to mention, I think he may be starting to pick up on the Scrunch-face technique within DL scenes :lol:. If anything should be ringing warning bells... :p.

(Stripey scarf, anyone? It's for a really, really good cause...)

oh yeah, definitely agree - it made sense that they'd both have another go (especially after mac's funny little scene where he was trying not to let it distract him from srsbsns) and the flirty element was nice, it seems they're testing each other's boundaries a bit and that's all good. and like you say, regardless of whether they get it on (i kinda hope not) it's great that there's chemistry and it's milked a little, because tension can add a lot to characters/dynamic.
I agree. We may share dimsum on this point :p.

I also thought the end of ep happened nearly three times over :lol:, they kept adding little bits :lol:. Glad it ended as it did.

I "kinda hope not" too, and that anything played between them is understated, and without substantial intent. A little charge maintained is fine, and flirty banter is viable as a method of interaction. In doses :p. I'd be somewhat unenthusiastic seeing the show move beyond that that. And I'd definitely rather not have more inter-office stuff going on just in general; I'd rather see overt relationships partnered from people outside the labs/precinct, just to keep them from being a perpetual presence, as DL has suffered from. Not to mention notions of propriety and such like, should the lab supervisors dabble. Just. ...No. Too many aspects which would not sit easily or well for me :lol:.

!Flirty and !Banter is fine. That would actually work for how Jo interacts with any of them, to some degree. !Tension is a little something more. Another consideration makes it an either/or proposition for me right now, a choice in a larger direction the show would undertake. While understandably on the backburner, if revisited at all, there is still the matter of what they started for Mac last season. Gimme one comment in an ep addressing some irreconcilable dispute suffered in the past five months between Mac & Aubrey over the best pizza in town :p, and dandyo, go forth and roll !tension between Jo & Mac. For me, at the moment, it would make a flirtatious undercurrent between the leads a little uncomfortable until that's completely off the books. (One can presume Peyton hasn't just been hanging about all this time :p).

I get where SW's comments are coming from, and I do think it is also more typical of the work she's done prior, but I'd still be far from sold on seeing the show falling into such a prevalent teevee formula. NY hasn't relied on it, at least not where the leads are concerned. They curtailed it/used it where Flack and Angell were concerned, and they've suffered for it where DL are concerned (in terms of show quality, IMO, and I think viewers are at best split on its popularity); Frankie & Peyton were written in for deliberate arcs and not as a tease for the audience. Intro that between the leads, it would alter some of the focus of the show. ...Meh :lol:. If the show nudges in that direction, could be SW/GS would play such at a level not seen in AB/CG. I'm trying to be open about it :lol:. But I can't help ...:shifty::p:lol:.

Anyways. The tissue box bet and Nexting were fun. We're only two eps in. So far so good for their dynamic, and I do like the residual effect Jo's introduction has had on the writing for Mac. I'll be curious to see how their interaction continues when some of the more Jo-centric backstories come up (presumably Mac already knows much of whatever went down), and when some of the more Mac-centric/Worthy Adversaries arise, whether the eps either regress him or actually (and hopefully) continue to move him forward a bit and open him up, and how Jo plays amid that. Guess we'll see what happens. !Tension is not prime in my curiosities at the moment :p.

At some point it would also be nice to find out not just how and why Jo left the Bureau, but also how she came to the NYPD's notice, and why was selected to be hired over other candidates to step into the open position; also whether it was Mac and/or Sinclair who brought her in.

i liked both those elements - jo's chat with adam was just the right side of being a warning but with enough sympathy/concern to make it not seem harsh, and mac's bawling out, while obviously kind of harsh, was tempered by him clearly not wanting to do it, i liked that it showed up the team aspect too, that they look out for each other a bit, even if they have to shout about it.
I agree again. I'll even share my Pocky :p.

i liked the little conversation where mac quoted einstein and shortly after jo quoted her dad - it neatly showed their different approaches, he's all about the science, she's all about the empathy. nice way to show it, not too mallety
I'd forgotten that wee bit. Was a nice contrast not just of their approaches but their personal backgrounds. A bit of pseudo down-home folkish wisdom, so to speak, salted into a sci-heavy realm. I can also guess Mac's father rarely came out with stuff quite like that :lol:. We've heard a bit about Jo and her family, kids, ex, etc., and I did blink when she mentioned her dad too. Did now make me kinda wonder about her parents. Gotta say, the show has managed to very concisely hint at a great deal about her in just two episodes.

I like :), but contrast that to Sheldon, where it took five seasons to confirm he didn't just pop in as a prodigy from another galactic realm :lol:. I hope we get some good Hawkes eps this season, and I also hope we get more Sid. I still would love to see a 'first meeting' scene between Sid and Jo, as opposed to the implication that they've already met by the time we get a scene of them together.

you mean your ümlauts? ;) :p
:lol:

u. uUUuuuUu. U. uu. ...dang. Still nope.

...show-off... ;) :p

Back