"Shock Waves" Discussion **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, Sep 18, 2010.

1. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

Season premier. Here I go...

Generally, the purpose of season openers is to address lingering storylines of the previous season and to setup future ones. This episode did not stray.

I was pleased with how they closed off the Jekyll arc. Ray was quickly helped and Haskell was subdued. It wasn't drawn out. I liked that. It also put Ray in a position I've always preferred him in. Not injured (well, maybe...), but as an adviser. He's good at that.

This episode was really about Nick, Cath and Brass. For the first time, I really saw how aged they are. You can see in Brass and Catherine their world-weariness. Both just seem to be tired of the game. There was no jovial, sarcastic Jim. Cath was very controlled, even in her discussion about Warrick. I found that interesting. And Nick's emotions were just right for a guy who just got shot and blown up (more on that particular scene in a bit). I really felt bad for him, mainly in the funeral scene. I understand why he was asked to leave, but I also understand why he wanted to be there.

Another interesting bit I picked up on was Sara. Jorja is now part of the main credits again. That means she's full time, right? At the end of the episode, Sara looked unsure of where she was and where she was going. Was this just a scene to illustrate the fatigue of the team? Or is there trouble in Sara's life that is going to be addressed later? Troubled marriage perhaps? (Nice punch tough)

The new tech I found to be okay. I don't know whether or not she's going to return, but as far as this episode goes I liked her. She actually seemed to fit in with the CSI world around her. I'm not sure I see her as being party to the antics of Hodges and the other rats, but I see her getting along great with the CSIs. Kind of like Greg, Jacqui, Bobby and Mia before her - they were best with a CSI.

As for Bieber, I think he was miscast. I found him unconvincing of being apart of the group he was with. Everything from his looks to his mannerisms clashed with the identity he was given. I'm not too particularly interested in seeing him return.

The case, however, was pretty good. I've always enjoyed the ones involving explosives. Unlike the serial murders we're used to, explosions (and poisons) really give a case an interesting touch. Its impersonal. I like that.

Two nitpicks. Both involving explosions. The scene at the beginning with Nick was... to put in bluntly, ridiculous. It looked incredibly fake. Sorry, but it did. The second is the one at the end and is a preemptive 'pick. Greg just got blown up. Again. And it probably will not even be addressed. But I'm used to Greg being only a background player at this point.

No Hodges, though I didn't expect to see him until next week...

Overall, I'm interested enough to continue watching. I really have no idea what this season is going to offer.

2. PrincessJ88

PrincessJ88 Coroner

Okay, overall wasn't bad. Much better than the season 10 premiere.

Was it my imagination or was there a bit more bantery type dialogue?

Like Nick and Brass and the comment about the shiner. And Nick and the bomb girl at the kid's house. I kind of liked that.

Speaking of bomb girl, I kind of liked her. Maybe it was the accent?

And can someone tell me how George Eads hasn't won any sort of award for his work? That opening at the funeral and him in the truck.....good god man.

Ward girls...we got some Nick bare chest action after the bomb went off. Loved him and Greg and the bit about the jacket and then Greg telling him about his truck.

Brass and Catherine angst....I hope it doesn't continue personally.

Loved Catherine's little speech to Nick and we got a Warrick mention to boot! Nick needed to hear that too.

I guess I better comment on Bieber.....he wasn't great but he put in a good effort I'll give him that.

So again overall, I liked it. next week looks interesting too.

3. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

[QUOTEWard girls...we got some Nick bare chest action after the bomb went off. Loved him and Greg and the bit about the jacket and then Greg telling him about his truck.][/QUOTE]

Forgot to mention, my daughter was watching with me (Justin Bieber) and when Nick vomited she said, "Ewwww...Nick barfed..that's sooo grosss!":lol:

4. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

Loved that too. "That was my best suit." "Have you seen your car?" :lol:

Love all of Nick. :) Good to see he has stuff to deal with, but can still do his job.

Very happy to see Jorja back in the main credits.

Ecklie - acting way more "undersheriff" and way less "lab director."

Bieber - at least his part wasn't anywhere near as big as the hype.

Brass - hope he gets over being grumpy - I like the sarcastic Brass.

Hodges - kinda glad we're not seeing him until next ep, when we find out why Wendy is gone.

Why did Nick and Kacey have to be on the phone with Ray when they went to the bomber's house? I'm pretty sure Nick could figure out melting ice too..

Wonder if Greg gave Vartann a lecture about being prepared (fresh batteries, etc), like he got from Warrick.. :D

DVR - it's so you DON'T have to watch the commercials again.. Duh Raynn. :brickwall:

5. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Very good season premiere! For me, the characters make this episode enjoyable. I love the scene between Nick and Catherine, where she mentioned Warrick. The scene between Doc Robbins and Ray at the hospital is great too. I like them together. Nick really shines in this episode. Nice he got his own story line. I like Kacey too. I hope she stays!

I'll give this episode a 9.5/10. Bieber got the 0.5 and left.

6. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

The story was good. Beiber sucked. The character moments between Nick and Catherine and Ray and Doc Robbins were amazing. I already can't stand the new chick. All in all it was a good premiere.

7. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Just finished watching it, pretty much what I expected. Not really impressed overall.

Ray working from the hospital bed like he was the leader of the whole band of CSI's, that was the impression I was getting. Do not like it.

I did however like Kasey, surprisingly. I can sort of see her fitting into the group.

Bieber...please, someone give the kid acting classes. Yawnville!

I thought the same thing about that first bombing looking so fake.
    Yeah who cares if Greg gets almost blown up again...he's just a background character. :scream:

8. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

:lol: Bieber's acting was lame. "Not blowing them up." - a little angst would be nice! He's the weakest part of the episode. Ignoring his 3 scenes, this episode is solid all in all.

9. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

She's a dead ringer Claire Forlani, the girl who played the ME/Mac Taylor's squeeze in the early years of CSINY.

All in all, a well written episode. LV does a much better job than the other two series in maintaining continuity, ala the references to Brown and Griss in this one.

10. Half

Half CSI Level Two

It sounds like I'm saying that all women with British accents sound the same, but I'm really glad that I'm not the only person who thought that within 30 seconds of her speaking. :lol:

Allow me one moment to bask in the glory that is Catherine calling Vartann by his first name. Finally a ship for me that is not 1) taking forever or 2) doomed to be killed by either writers or budget cuts.

11. preatorian

preatorian Dead on Arrival

I really enjoyed the season premier of CSI tonight.

Also happy to see that most everyone so far liked Sienna’s character Kacey. I hoped she passed whatever test in this premier to be in future episodes. It seems like a very good start.

J. Bieber performance was like paint drying. He should stick with his day job lip-syncing or what-ever he does.

I thought it was a little over the top having Langston oversee the case from his hospital bed, especially Nick and Kacey going into the bomber’s workshop. I understand his concern that Haskell might have been involved, but after they found out he wasn’t that should have been the end of his part. He should really have faith in the other CSIs, and let them do their work without his input. He just had major surgery that removed his Kidney! I would have been f*** it, I’m taking a few days off.

For a moment at the end, I was like no way, they wouldn’t dare, but did they just kill Greg off, at first glance he shouldn't have survived it. It would have been a crazy play. Lucky for the fans, it was more a fire bomb than concussion.

I am going to have to watch it again once its online via CBS.

12. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

Watching it again.. liking the new bomb tech a bit more each time.

The interrogation scene confused me now though. First Bieber says he didn't know his brother was going to blow people up, then he says "that show at the funeral was just fireworks compared to what's coming." :confused:

I would've liked to see a bit more of Nick dealing with having killed someone, not just being shot himself.

I liked the scene between Doc and Ray. Could've done with less Ray on the phone with the others though - they were all CSIs for years before he came, I'm sure they can handle a couple of scenes without him now too. :rolleyes:

13. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

It didn't really look like Lou and Greg got "blown up". I mean, they were sooty but seemed okay. I think they moved out of the way in plenty of time.

I liked her okay, but her accent bothered me a bit. It was hard for me to catch what she was saying sometimes. I'm still not really sure on her role tho. She went out with a vest on and she had a gun, didn't she? So is she a CSI or a lab rat?

Bieber...didn't really play a big part. I guess maybe they are saving that for his next episode. :rolleyes: Looks like the cops will have to be on alert until then tho. Anyway, his best part was at the very end there, and I don't mean just because he didn't have to speak! :lol: But it really was kind of creepy.

I loved, loved, loved this episode!! They did an excellent job of doing things we always complain they don't do...there was continuity and the characters talking about things we always say they should. And bringing up Warrick...Catherine talking about how she dealt with that. :) And Nick finally being forced to NOT cowboy up. I think it was well balanced character-wise too. Everyone played a big part.

Only complaint is what on earth was the point of Ray doing teleconferences and remote voice communication from his hospital bed?? :rolleyes: It's not like he's a big expert on whatever they were doing and they needed him to help. That was weird.

Can't wait to get home and watch again on the DVR! :D That is...if I still have it set correctly. :shifty:

14. hutt359

hutt359 Civilian

I have to agree. His performance was all over the place, and I was ready to write him off as a shitty actor unable to perform the part they wanted him to. Now, I'm wondering if there is more to the character than what we saw in this eps, and perhaps if he may be back in the future.

That look he tossed off at the end there makes me wonder if they are playing him up to be a sociopath of some type. I mean, CSI has gone that route before. He could have been playing them the whole time.

A serial bomber with an itch for cops/CSI is a potential interesting twist out of this eps...

15. A. FineLabrats

A. FineLabrats Rookie

What is up with the kid's voice? Is he like a 2 pack a day smoker or something? Oh...oh right...he was...trying to sound older and...cooler.
    Blech.

Agree with everyone about Ray...seriously..it's like Brass and Catherine have NO authority over this guy.