Season 7 Spoiler Discussion - Welcome back to the Big Apple!

Status
Not open for further replies.
, exec producer Pam Veasey had already written six episodes featuring Kanakaredes' Stella.
Which now confirms Melinas comments about leaving because she did not like where they were taking her character Stella.:scream: Nothing like shoving an actress out the door by destroying something they love.

When Melina Kanakaredes announced in July that she'd be leaving CSI: NY,
Kind of like anyone else when you are forced to make a decision you really dont want to.:rolleyes:
that kind of surprise does wonderful things
Thanks for the wonderful thing. To bad she could not have left well enough alone..HEY GUYS....wait for me! exits door

"It was tough, but at the same time, that kind of surprise does wonderful things [creatively]," says Veasey.
Of course it's tough. But who am I to refuse wonderful things ahead! Come on, the fans of other shows are asking for new stories, and we are lucky in NY we are to get some. :)

Early on, Jo & Co. investigate a murder on the webcam site Chatroulette,
:lol: I'm watching Tosh.0 on Comedy Central and they have a lot of fun jokes about this chat tech! I think it's going to be a fun episode.

As for season 6's cliff-hanger--in which serial killer Shane (Edward Furlong) seemingly took a shot at Danny (Carmine Giovinazzo)--Veasey has good news: "No one on our team died."
Surprise! Even if I choose to withdraw from spoilers this summer, I would assume no one is dying. The cliffhanger is just a way of attracting casual viewers.

Enter Jo Danville (Once and Again's Sela Ward), who joins the team after Stella relocates to New Orleans. What do we know about Jo? "Think of a very confident, professional Southern woman who kicks her shoes off Friday night and spends time with her family," says Veasey.

I wonder whether Sela Ward will use her native Southern accent on the show...

adam_bryant
And... I just finished the #CSINY season premiere. Stella fans will miss her, but I think Sela Ward fits in nicely.
I hope she does fit in well. It's the one aspect of the season that has really reignited my curiosity, over and above all the story/case spoilers, tempered as it initially was by MK's departure.

MattMitovich
Watching #CSiNY premiere.... POWERFUL opening scenes....
about 2 hours ago via ÜberTwitter

#CSiNY premiere... *Really* nice work from Anna Belknap... Also, some fun stuff for AJ Buckley.
To which I say, with thanks Matt, dandyo, but ...all things are *Relative* :p.

Also sounds like AJ's material and Adam's insecurities are on the humorous side and not leading him on a serious arc of some sort. A smidge disappointed :lol: but whereas I reserve the right to be skeptical on AB, I have no doubt AJ will be solid as always. AB (as always) is welcome to prove me wrong and win me over. Took more than one ep to wear out her welcome, may well take more than a few minutes in one ep to reverse it. Would be a step in the right direction anyways.

With the endgame/resolution of the cliffhanger essentially foreknown, it will depend on how it's all done. If the writing has been shaken, stirred, and given a jolt, and performances can rise to match or exceed, I will be a pleasantly surprised and happy viewer. I would certainly love a kick-ass premier.

Thanks perlnoir & vegaslights for tweets & snippets

CSI: NY Returning Drama, 9-10PM, CBS
When Melina Kanakaredes announced in July that she'd be leaving CSI: NY, exec producer Pam Veasey had already written six episodes featuring Kanakaredes' Stella. "It was tough, but at the same time, that kind of surprise does wonderful things [creatively]," says Veasey.
Hope so, and I'm glad that they see it that way. With episodic exception here and there, unabashed, full on, unhedging risks and challenges are not something the show has undertaken of it's own volition on a consistent basis. For the chances it has taken, it also so often still feels straitjacketed and overly reliant on formula. It would be refreshing to feel it flying by the seat of its pants for awhile. As unexpected as it might be, being confronted with such a substantial shake-up could be the best damn thing that's happened for the show in awhile. It may not push the show to writing outside the box, but mebbe they've had to take another look at it.

I'm looking forward to seeing the team make internal adjustments and learn how to work with each other. To seeing Mac challenged more, whether by Jo, and/or by a new superior, though devoted multi-ep arcs have me wary :lol:. The show doesn't always handle serial elements well, but when they do, it's more than welcome. I'm looking forward to seeing excellent guest appearances. I'm looking forward to cases mixing humor and gravitas, and that take me sideways and not just one step after the next. I would love that to extend to structure, and even aspects of production style. "Wonderful creativity" would be absolutely f*cking fantabulous :p.

Enter Jo Danville (Once and Again's Sela Ward), who joins the team after Stella relocates to New Orleans. What do we know about Jo? "Think of a very confident, professional Southern woman who kicks her shoes off Friday night and spends time with her family," says Veasey. Early on, Jo & Co. investigate a murder on the webcam site Chatroulette, and Mac (Gary Sinise) confronts a former gang leader (guest star Edward James Olmos) in East Harlem.
Curious what they consider the South, where she's from (as opposed to just where she's worked), and what elements they'll use to contrast to NY, geographical background, federal vs local enforcement approach, etc. At least they didn't call her Virginia :p. </irrelevant musing>

I suppose it's also somewhat neatly matched to have Stella heading south and Jo heading north.

The early tidbits on cases and on Jo have me sipping patiently from my glass half full :).

(It'll still be of something with a bit of kick for the Casey aspects of the premier :lol:).

As for season 6's cliff-hanger--in which serial killer Shane (Edward Furlong) seemingly took a shot at Danny (Carmine Giovinazzo)--Veasey has good news: "No one on our team died." SEPT. 24
:vulcan: :cardie: *browpinch* *blink* & *headshake.*

ORly. Cos I'd been so f*cking fretting the whole summer long over that, ya know...

...ferdaluvagad :lol::lol: You can really only just laugh sometimes :p. Thanks EW, & PV.

CSI: NY exec producer Pam Veasey had already written six episodes featuring Kanakaredes' Stella.
Which now confirms Melinas comments about leaving because she did not like where they were taking her character Stella.:scream: Nothing like shoving an actress out the door by destroying something they love.
I don't know why Melina's comments would need confirmation. Her opinion and feelings are valid as is. What this would seem to confirm is that the network, the show, & MK were all at some point assuming she would be returning to the show. You don't set such things in motion if there isn't that indication, even if dialogue is underway. This doesn't, for me, cinch or negate any one particular element in why, at the eleventh hour, MK declined. I suppose I'm also not looking to find ways to resent the show on MK's behalf.

(It does however, negate the notion that there was some plot to oust MK from the show, as had been hinted at in the Stella's leaving thread).

I also think you'd be hard pressed to find any actor who delighted where their characters were taken and what they were asked to do or say all the time every time. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a writer who was completely satisfied all the time every time. Or a showrunner, for that matter.

It could be that projects did start to look more alluring to MK during or because of the negotiations. I shrug again. I don't expect to know why she left, but I do support her, and will check out what she next undertakes. I'm also more than happy to check out SW as she steps in.

When Melina Kanakaredes announced in July that she'd be leaving CSI: NY,
Kind of like anyone else when you are forced to make a decision you really dont want to.
I'm not certain what you mean here. The implication seems to be that MK had so poor a set of options that the choice was all but made for her? (I'm asking, not suggesting :)).

If it was contractual nuts & bolts, and she really wanted to stay and had grounds and inclination to file a grievance, she could have. If it was weighing options and saying, 'nah, you know what, it's really not doing it for me anymore, what else can we do' or 'no, don't want it, not worth the trade off when I've other projects that now sound more interesting in comparison' or even 'no, f*ck you very much,' still also fair. Still her choice to make.

AJ Cooke is one I could say I think was more unpleasantly done by, and the mgmt handling of whose situation would warrant a certain distaste beyond the usual "it's just business" elements. Paget Brewster, similarly, though in her case she was able to negotiate improved terms and appearances for what will likely be her last season on CM (and also did that when they apparently had next to nothing planned for her). MK declined NY. The reasons are her own. I have no problems with her deciding it was time to move on. If there is any rancour, I hope it's ultimately more than balanced by all that was enjoyable of her past six seasons.

The only real residual '...huh' left for me lies in that she will not be participating onscreen in Stella's exit. I've no doubt people will read that in a manner befits their respective theories on MK's exit. I don't feel I know enough to have one. I feel it's disappointing, but am also very much looking forward to the show just getting on with things.

that kind of surprise does wonderful things
Thanks for the wonderful thing. To bad she could not have left well enough alone..HEY GUYS....wait for me! exits door
Flip sides of an unexpected coin. Didn't want MK to leave, but damn has the show needed a kick, and this, alongside the slot shift, could well provide it.

As for leaving well enough alone: whom? PV? ...or MK? It's not like the show has been consistently spectacular with the roster they've had. I'm glad the show can't just continue to coast, and has to make some adjustments. That they too see it as a breath of fresh air with new possibilities bodes well.

There's also been the implication within the overall body of discussion that while MK left due artistic, professional, and personal integrity, that SW signed predominantly for money. The courtesies extended to one should certainly be extended to the other.

Mebbe SW was interested in something different from "please pass the cookies," (although, who doesn't luvs cookies :p), and at this point in time, a main character rather than a recurring one, a la House. What SW is joining, (and what MK walked away from), is, yes, a regular paycheque in a tumultuous industry, but also a veteran show, a solid ensemble cast and production team, and also an established production machine, on a type of show she's not been part of before.

For MK & SW both, within their respective circumstances, it could be that timing was everything.

I am an MK & Stella fan, and I'm sad she's left. I also think SW is a coup in last minute casting. For me, Stella will have a successor, not a replacement, and with regards MK & SW, it's a transition, not a loss.

I'm looking forward to S7 in a way I previously wasn't. And that's not disrespectful to MK, but about the state of the show as I saw it, even with her a part of it. I was unexcited by the status quo. Switching a character is not a solution but it can be a great opportunity, and SW lends a confidence in potential quality.

The possibilities that spark lightly from the little we know have me curious. But yes, it does still depend on what will come onscreen, and how it may be maintained thru writing over the course of a season.

Early on, Jo & Co. investigate a murder on the webcam site Chatroulette,
:lol: I'm watching Tosh.0 on Comedy Central and they have a lot of fun jokes about this chat tech! I think it's going to be a fun episode.
I do think there's a great shot for NY's humor to shine thru :lol:, while still accomodating an apparent show mandate of being Current, yada.

The cliffhanger is just a way of attracting casual viewers.
The cliffhanger is just a f*cking pain the arse :lol:, but I get what you mean. Had it simply been about the cliffhanger I might agree more. Was a piss poor realization of a long scattered, multi ep arc, and coasting on DL and a returning villain given little to do. For me, it's like the show viewed bringing Casey back as a Sure Thing rather than risk that needed to be guided and written to in more detail, and stumbled badly. Part of a chronic issue that flares up in NY from time to time of "Behold. Just be impressed, don't ask questions." Was a disappointing way to wrap last season. I'm glad the premier sounds as if it will not be devoting too much time in depicting how it ends so much as the aftermath as NY's time warp moves folk on five months.

Last edited:
to save my aching fingers, i'll just say i totally agree with:

this:

You don't set such things in motion if there isn't that indication, even if dialogue is underway. This doesn't, for me, cinch or negate any one particular element in why, at the eleventh hour, MK declined. ... (It does however, negate the notion that there was some plot to oust MK from the show, as had been hinted at in the Stella's leaving thread).

this:

If it was contractual nuts & bolts, and she really wanted to stay and had grounds and inclination to file a grievance, she could have. If it was weighing options and saying, 'nah, you know what, it's really not doing it for me anymore, what else can we do' or 'no, don't want it, not worth the trade off when I've other projects that now sound more interesting in comparison' or even 'no, f*ck you very much,' still also fair. Still her choice to make.

AJ Cooke is one I could say I think was more unpleasantly done by, and the mgmt handling of whose situation would warrant a certain distaste beyond the usual "it's just business" elements. Paget Brewster, similarly, though in her case she was able to negotiate improved terms and appearances for what will likely be her last season on CM (and also did that when they apparently had next to nothing planned for her). MK declined NY. The reasons are her own. I have no problems with her deciding it was time to move on. If there is any rancor, I hope it's ultimately more than balanced by all that was enjoyable of her past six seasons.

(although i'd put a "u" in rancour ;) )

this:

It's not like the show has been consistently spectacular with the roster they've had. I'm glad the show can't just continue to coast, and has to make some adjustments. That they too see it as a breath of fresh air with new possibilities bodes well.

and this:

Mebbe SW was interested in something different from "please pass the cookies," (although, who doesn't luvs cookies :p), and at this point in time, a main character rather than a recurring one, a la House. What SW is joining, (and what MK walked away from), is, yes, a regular paycheque in a tumultuous industry, but also a veteran show, a solid ensemble cast and production team, and also an established production machine, on a type of show she's not been part of before.

For MK & SW both, within their respective circumstances, it could be that timing was everything.

and most definitely this:
The cliffhanger is just a way of attracting casual viewers.
The cliffhanger is just a f*cking pain the arse :lol:, but I get what you mean. Had it simply been about the cliffhanger I might agree more. Was a piss poor realization of a long scattered, multi ep arc, and coasting on DL and a returning villain given little to do. For me, it's like the show viewed bringing Casey back as a Sure Thing rather than risk that needed to be guided and written to in more detail, and stumbled badly.

I don't know why Melina's comments would need confirmation. Her opinion and feelings are valid as is
I always considered her opinion as valid.:) When the suggestions were such as: "she left for family", and money.. although I can not say these aspects of speculation are not valid as I was not there, the one thing she did say was the writing, and PV confirmed when she said she had six epiosdes already. That is what I was refering too.:)
What this would seem to confirm is that the network, the show, & MK were all at some point assuming she would be returning to the show. You don't set such things in motion if there isn't that indication, even if dialogue is underway. This doesn't, for me, cinch or negate any one particular element in why, at the eleventh hour, MK declined.
But it does for me:p because when I read that Melina was upset about the way Stella was being written, and PV said she had written six episodes thus far, that is the one particular element they both exposed was in process. Where ever PV was going with Stella, Melina wasnt going along. And the fact they were up burning the midnight oil tells me Melina was still on the NY night train.:p
I suppose I'm also not looking to find ways to resent the show on MK's behalf.
Actually I am sure MK would not want me to resent the show on her behalf so I will do it on my own behalf.:lol: Seriously though tis a bitter pill to swallow MKs departure...but alas the toxic waste of D/L and the poor writing skills, when I read season seven picks up with Lindsey getting a badge it pretty much put me over the edge.:lol:

I'm not certain what you mean here. The implication seems to be that MK had so poor a set of options that the choice was all but made for her? (I'm asking, not suggesting :)).
No not that. I meant by the timing of it all. She was still hanging in there and really did not want to go I think. I cant imagine the options were horrid but if it was the writing PV could not work something out?

Yeah thats the gloomy truth of it thanks alot:lol: As a fan though I still feel really cheated and think when they came that close to production time Something could have been done and now my CSI NY playtime has been ruined and I have to take my ball and go home.:lol:

The only real residual '...huh' left for me lies in that she will not be participating onscreen in Stella's exit. I've no doubt people will read that in a manner befits their respective theories on MK's exit. I don't feel I know enough to have one. I feel it's disappointing,
And OUCH it hurts really bad.:(
but am also very much looking forward to the show just getting on with things.
I wish you many happy viewing moments.:)
As for leaving well enough alone: whom? PV? ...or MK? It's not like the show has been consistently spectacular with the roster they've had.
Well I was referring to the writer of course.:)

That they too see it as a breath of fresh air with new possibilities bodes well.
But I didnt read any where they were getting new writers!:p

There's also been the implication within the overall body of discussion that while MK left due artistic, professional, and personal integrity, that SW signed predominantly for money. The courtesies extended to one should certainly be extended to the other.
If you are referring to my commenting on money it was not from a "greed" perspective. The girl has ta make a livin! I said SW was a pretty well known name and could not have been cheap. If CBS got a bargain good for them I'm sure Sela will give them there moneys worth.:)

I am an MK & Stella fan, and I'm sad she's left. I also think SW is a coup in last minute casting. For me, Stella will have a successor, not a replacement, and with regards MK & SW, it's a transition, not a loss.
And as I said before I make no bones about the fact I was not thrilled over the whole thing in the beginning but it is only a TV show and....um thats about it thats all I got to say about that!:lol:

I'm looking forward to S7 in a way I previously wasn't. And that's not disrespectful to MK, but about the state of the show as I saw it, even with her a part of it. I was unexcited by the status quo. Switching a character is not a solution but it can be a great opportunity, and SW lends a confidence in potential quality.

The possibilities that spark lightly from the little we know have me curious. But yes, it does still depend on what will come onscreen, and how it may be maintained thru writing over the course of a season
And happy viewing dear ELWOOD:thumbsup: With my friday night now open I will have more time to read your posts!!!:lol:

i'll just say i totally agree with:
LISA I'm starting to worry for you...you are becoming much to agreeable!:lol:

well, duh, elwood, obviously saint melina can do no wrong, you must know that by now :rolleyes:
?????? She asked me and I told her:confused: I dont think Melina is a saint by any means, actually I am not happy on her part for not trying to work things out. I just am not into thinking Melina was just flippant and left. NOT saying that of others this is MPOV.

Sorry didnt mean to offend.

I guess my opinion has become disagreeable since I am not following the status quo....oh well.:rolleyes:

I guess my opinion has become disagreeable since I am not following the status quo....oh well.:rolleyes:

No, it's become disagreeable because you're trying to cram it down everyone's throat whether it's relevant to the topic or not. Conspiracy theories about Melina's departure aren't really relevant to the spoiler thread; if you have to keep discussing them, at least keep them to the appropriate threads. But the end result is the same--she's off the show, so it's really just beating a dead horse.

On topic, like Elwood and some others have said, I'm looking forward to season seven a little more now than I was when season six ended. I'll miss Stella, but I think injecting some fresh blood is something this show could use, and Sela Ward is a great actress. What I've read about Jo sounds interesting.

Sadly, the days of the "Who Shot JR?" cliffhanger are over--it's really hard not to have a cliffhanger spoiled in some way in the age of the internet.

Returning Drama, 9-10PM, CBS
When Melina Kanakaredes announced in July that she'd be leaving CSI: NY, exec producer Pam Veasey had already written six episodes featuring Kanakaredes' Stella. "It was tough, but at the same time, that kind of surprise does wonderful things [creatively]," says Veasey. Enter Jo Danville (Once and Again's Sela Ward), who joins the team after Stella relocates to New Orleans. What do we know about Jo? "Think of a very confident, professional Southern woman who kicks her shoes off Friday night and spends time with her family," says Veasey. Early on, Jo & Co. investigate a murder on the webcam site Chatroulette, and Mac (Gary Sinise) confronts a former gang leader (guest star Edward James Olmos) in East Harlem. As for season 6's cliff-hanger--in which serial killer Shane (Edward Furlong) seemingly took a shot at Danny (Carmine Giovinazzo)--Veasey has good news: "No one on our team died." SEPT. 24
The topic was found at Post number 613 of this thread.

Originally Posted by Lori K.
No, it's become disagreeable because you're trying to cram it down everyone's throat whether it's relevant to the topic or not. Conspiracy theories about Melina's departure aren't really relevant to the spoiler thread; if you have to keep discussing them, at least keep them to the appropriate threads
I was responding to the posters questions. I was not rude to anyone and if I am not mistaken it was you who told me that was allowed here. Since the topic was brought up by PV and posted in this thread I just assumed it was relevent. I am not cramming anything down anyones throat, there is no conspiracy theory that I am aware of, and although I know the horse is dead apparently the topic is not. When people find my posts annoying or disagreeable they hit the mod button and you come on to chew me out.When people tell me I am to get over it and insult my comments to another poster its ok I guess. Sorry for the offense as I said before but the playing field has become quite nasty and the only one getting in trouble for it is me. There were other parts to my posts that were not Melina topic related but these are the ones being attacked.

I'm glad for the new writing material that has been conjuered up with Sela joining the cast as the series has been in steady decline IMO. And as far as cliff hangers go it was so good of Ms Veasey to let us know "No one has died".

Lori K. said:
, exec producer Pam Veasey had already written six episodes featuring Kanakaredes' Stella.
But it does for me:p because when I read that Melina was upset about the way Stella was being written, and PV said she had written six episodes thus far, that is the one particular element they both exposed was in process. Where ever PV was going with Stella, Melina wasnt going along. And the fact they were up burning the midnight oil tells me Melina was still on the NY night train.:p

[Hoping that speculating about possible spoilers, even if they never actually make it into the show, is okay here:]

I don't know, I think it's a stretch to conclude that Melina felt they were "destroying" Stella from six episodes PV wrote with Stella in them. To me it suggests the opposite, since six episodes is quite a few (that would be about half the fall's airing-schedule), and like mentioned here, at that point they all seemed to be on the same night-train. We don't know if one of those episodes included a story Melina didn't agree with. It's entirely possible. I know she felt weird about the direction Stella took in S6; but that many episodes being written (and presumably read by MK) suggests that she was still up for portraying Stella until whatever other factors got in the way. Either way, I get that it was her choice, so it's fine.

(Of course it makes me wonder a little about what was written, but meh.)

As for season 6's cliff-hanger--in which serial killer Shane (Edward Furlong) seemingly took a shot at Danny (Carmine Giovinazzo)--Veasey has good news: "No one on our team died." SEPT. 24

I didn't realize this was still news at this point...:p

Elwood21 said:
Also sounds like AJ's material and Adam's insecurities are on the humorous side and not leading him on a serious arc of some sort. A smidge disappointed :lol: but whereas I reserve the right to be skeptical on AB, I have no doubt AJ will be solid as always. AB (as always) is welcome to prove me wrong and win me over. Took more than one ep to wear out her welcome, may well take more than a few minutes in one ep to reverse it. Would be a step in the right direction anyways.

Well obviously I'm so picturing the best from both Anna and AJ, but on Adam -- I don't believe the humour factor rules out a serious story-arc. Adam's story arcs usually start off on a lighter note before they get serious (the whole potential-firing in S5 starting out with paper plane scenes and getting nervous around Mac and all :lol:), and well, FBI-ish secrets tend to go lots of places on these shows :lol: Unless it's confirmed that his FBI secret is just Haylen, I'm still hoping it'll tie into 7.02 somehow.

Press release for 7.02 is posted. All I have to say is a lot of crime shows are creating story lines around Chatroulette. Hopefully NY does something original with it.

ETA: Here's a (small) promotional picture to go with the episode.

5d9f10.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back