Season 7 Spoiler Discussion - Welcome back to the Big Apple!

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

This show sucks at cliff hangers. They gave away that Danny was shot before the episode aired last season, and now they've all but stated that Lindsay kills Shane. Although maybe they gave away so much this year so that people won't have to guess through Anna's acting what Lindsay is feeling. ;) :lol:

ETA: And I'm not talking about spoilers when I say they give away stuff. They aired a promo that gave away that Danny was shot and in a wheelchair before the episode aired and now they've had it published on a major TV news site that Lindsay shot Shane. No, they don't say it outright, but they make it pretty damn obvious.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  2. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

Guess we'll see how she's written as well as what she gets to do, and also what SW does with it. I also doubt you get someone like SW to sign on with the promise of an unappealing and bland character. Anyways.

Other characters on the show are also empathetic. They've all had cases and victims etc. that were more personal for them for various reasons. (But no, it's not generally touted as a defining characteristic). I think there are certain traits that cross over with various characters in general.

Other characters have also argued with Mac in the past, besides Stella. Sheldon and Flack come first to mind. The fact that Jo might have a different approach that enables a friendly rivalry, that she does have her own mind, and is not simply going to bow to whatever Mac says, still sounds promising to me. (I'd be far less hopeful had they indicated that Jo was a catering sort of personality. Even if that made her somehow "different.") A rivalry with Mac and poking Adam is also probably among the fastest ways to establish what sort of interaction she'll have as a colleague on equal footing, and as a supervisor within the labs. It's also possible that she will have differences with others, or they with her. Part of the fun to see how the new team dynamics shake out. Whatever they are.

I do agree that things could and should be fresh, and we'll see what they come up with. One of the first things I said on hearing the initial description of Jo was that a) they hadn't expanded in terms of diversity, and b) it didn't look as if the overall dynamic of how character roles would be used within episodes would alter much. That characters will fill certain functions doesn't mean it's impossible to be individuals within that. I do still think all the characters could be sharpened up though, I think they're all falling victim to overly formulaic and predictable use. I hope cases and material is generally more challenging to them and to viewers.

I'm not gonna dump on Jo as being completely and utterly unoriginal especially without seeing how she's played. SW is more than talented enough to put her own spin on whatever is written. I hope she's still given some solid material though :lol:.

I stubbornly remain optimistic, about Jo as a character at least :p.

Fair enough and dandyo.

I don't think other characters will suffer for material "they could have been given." I'm rather hoping that how they all play off each other will further let us get to know Jo, and also let us see our regular crew thru the eyes of a new character as she gets to know them. I think a new character can be a great lens to look at more established ones all over again. I hope good material results for all.

It's not about "denying" who Stella was :lol:. I don't deny that Stella was empathetic. And, again, they've all been empathetic. At other times she came off rather brittle; other times guarded, sometimes tough. She wasn't one thing to me all the time. She was also hotheaded and impetuous in temperment. I don't immediately equate Jo's being "empathetic" as meaning she's going to be similarly hotheaded and impetuous and default to being Stella in all but name.

As for Adam. I perhaps saw things a little differently. I think Adam seemed to crush on Stella for a long time. I personally didn't read much of their interaction as flirting, rather, that Adam may have been, but it was not necessarily reciprocated, at least not until the S6 premier. The fact the show put Adam and Stella together still managed to surprise the hell outta me :lol:. I don't think "Jo teases Adam" equates with "she's flirting with him and wants to take him home and comfort him about the perpetually plaguing possibility of losing his job" :lol:.

I've never "denied" Stella and Mac disagreed on cases :lol:. And to repeat, she's also not the only one to have done so. What Stella had that others didn't was seniority in her position within the labs, the same one which Jo will presumably be stepping into. That there somehow shouldn't be some overlap in function between the two characters would seem odd to me.

Can I also say that I'm not certain I saw Mac and Stella as having an ongoing rivalry. I think they did on certain cases, but it didn't seem to be something played as part of their day to day general dynamic. That's one I'll hafta mull more.

Tomato tomahto. Dandyo. I'm gonna wait and see. I also expect it will take half a dozen eps or so for the show to find a rhythm with the new character. We'll see how the show does. I'm still finding Jo to be the most interesting of all spoiler snippets we've been given. Perhaps precisely because we still don't know much about her :lol:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  3. belle

belle Dead on Arrival

SPAM

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2010
  4. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

Trying to "sell her" to the devoted Stella fans will be there challenge.

Already there approach seems abit stale to me. I for one am not wetting my pants over the anticipation. :lol:

5. Messers fan

Messers fan Rookie

Here they are back to work

Ist scene of season 7 shot and done and now moving on to our second scene of the day. Sela's first w/ Eddie,Carmine, Hill and yours truly.

via twitter from Gary Sinise

6. nel2h

nel2h CSI Level One

Then it goes again further with CSI NY and we can speak again about that. :guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

7. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Thanks for that! :) I hope he tweets a pic of them on the set.

8. Ballettmaus

Ballettmaus Hit and Run

But saying and doing are two different things. There's always the possibility of the show ending after season 7 so there might not be the chance to develop much of a character with SW.
    As I said, I don't know SW, I don't doubt her abilities of an actress but she's joining a potentially dying show, so I'm not sure about the character.

Basically, the easiest "way out" for the writers. Just an observation.

So we very much agree actually.
    I don't doubt one can be an individual with the same dynamics but I would have liked to see those altered because a departure like someone like Stella would have an impact in real life, so it would be natural for dynamics to change and I would have found that interesting.
    I guess, it might be another opportunity wasted to bring something fresh and new into the show.

Agreed again, however, can that really happen when the dynamics aren't changed?

It's about all you said:
    I didn't mean you were denying who Stella was, I was just listing my reasons for fearing that Jo would turn out quite similar to Stella. Because they gave her a lot of what Stella was and how they made Stella who Stella was.

I agree with Adam; that he had a crush on her, no denying that :p

The rivalry, however, it still a question. An argument can or can't be one and we still don't know this one will be written.
    Also, it could be a rivalry in the first ep and then be all forgotten afterwards. Wouldn't be the first time :p

I don't think the show has that much time to find a rhythm...
    But yes, we're all waiting to find out more about Jo, so it's her spoiler parts which interest the most, naturally.

9. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

Minus one!:lol:
    Actually I think they need to get back to the main character which was suppose to be New York and get some fresh writing in there:)

10. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

From Ausiello:

Source

11. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

^That's great! At least she can return for a visit whenever possible.

:rolleyes: Well, it's never too late! How about hooking Adam/Stella up, killing Det. Angell, Danny in wheelchair for only about 4 freaking months (Pay Up to Cuckoo's Nest) etc.?! :scream:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  12. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

I'm happy with Stella's transfer to New Orleans.This could also mean a possible guest appearance in the future.

13. perlnoir

perlnoir Pathologist

[​IMG]

14. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Yay for spoilers! I'm glad they aren't killing Stella off. :)

The premiere sounds interesting. Personally, not sure about Lindsay getting a medal for shooting Shane Casey, doesn't sound particularly medal worthy to me, but meh, whatever. And fast forwarding 5 months is a good way for everyone to be over the loss of Stella to New Orleans without needing to dwell on it. I'll be interested to hear more about this new Josephine character in the next few months. :)

15. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

Nice picture but kind of sad because of Stella's absence.:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.