Season 7 Spoiler Discussion - Welcome back to the Big Apple!

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I wonder if they are getting this mixed up with the new tech character on CSI Vegas. Her name is supposed to be Kacy Monahan or something like that. I really hope that Sela's character's last name is not Mon- anything cause that's too close Lindsay's last name (well her maiden name anyway) which is Monroe. We don't need more than one person with "Mon" in their last name on the same show.

2. Ballettmaus

Ballettmaus Hit and Run

Well, I think it's natural that at times there are arguments between superiors but it would, for example, be nice if it wasn't Mac but actually Adam who had that argument with the "new girl". Because she's not Stella. And there are many possibilities to do a character. Danny could go around teasing, he's perfect for that.
    I mean, if you're new, you usually don't go tease the lab techs, right? I would imagine you'd have an argument with the boss because Mac's probably a very difficult person to work with if you don't know how to take him. However, I'm not sure if I would be so comfortable arguing with Mac straight away either. Though I guess I would if he didn't accept me in the position I was in. Which then would be a difference to how he and Stella argued.
    But going back to the teasing, I wish if it wouldn't always be Adam either because his character's not developing. It's the same Adam they introduced and - like they did with many of their characters - he's stagnating.

I didn't mean that Langston was trying to be Grissom but they gave him a lot of Grissom's characteristics. He apparently does have a broad knowledge and high IQ and so did Grissom. Further they gave him cases no rookie would ever get, let him work crime scenes alone and in a lot of the episodes it was him solving the crimes. And he was the one sent to NY and Miami in the crossover while three more experienced CSI's stayed in Vegas... right... like I would ever believe that.
    It made him a very incredible and slightly annoying character to me.

I don't blame any of it on the actors. They actors can only do what the writers do.
    Sure, they need to fill the void Stella left and they decided to do so with an experienced investigator.
    But I want to see Jo (or whatever her name will be) and not Stella II and I feel like I'm watching, as you said, Grissom the Sequel and I didn't want Grissom the Sequel but Ray Langston as a new CSI in a field he hasn't worked in before.
    For example, Ward could tease but it couldn't be well received. There's many possibilities.

3. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I'd agree with you if the development lasted longer than the dark secret storyline. As it stands, they've only given her development in the scope of one episode at a time and not given her a personality that is decernable based on a solid history as a character. The only real development she's has is the development of DL. She's Danny's wife and Lucy's mother. That's all that's discernable about her character.

I'm shocked you don't consider the reveal of what happened to her and caused her to behave the way she was during the course of S3 NOT to be the emotional climax of the story. As for how she pulled them off, I personally found her performances cringeworthy.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a long storyline, but the traits they give her during the storyline shouldn't disappear after the story is over. I have no clue how Lindsay will react to a situation and after 5 seasons on the show, that's not a good thing. There's no sense of a true character. Just someone who is written a certain way to accomodate a particular story line and then she changes when the next story line calls for it.

4. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Agreed. I still think it's beyond frustrating how Danny's injury storyline was shortchanged. And for no good reason--I can't think of any reason Danny couldn't have been in a wheelchair and confined to the lab for the duration of the season. And how much more frightening would it have been for Danny when Shane came after him if he was just starting to walk again? And don't even get me started on the lack of emotional fallout for Danny. That storyline was just mishandled, period.

You really hit the nail on the head. It was more about the team figuring out that Shane was after Danny during "Vacation Getaway" and now it's going to be more about Lindsay in season seven. Where's the fallout for Danny? It's really frustrating and sad that he's getting shortchanged yet again.

That's actually not accurate--I think it's safe to assume that Anna had the same six year contract all of the other regulars did, but hers started a year later than theirs. The first real opportunity for them to release her from her contract will be at the end of season seven. Because of Melina's departure, I doubt they will now even if they wanted to. Anna is one of the luckiest and least worthy actresses in showbiz, but that's neither here nor there. ;) Sometimes I wonder what a more capable and gifted actress would have done with the part, but that's really neither here nor there.

She is, and let's hope Anna can do a better job with it than the last time she was given a meaty storyline, way back in season three. I'd like to find Lindsay interesting and compelling. I used to not be able to stand the character, but since midway through the fifth season, I've more or less become indifferent to her. She doesn't act like an entitled little priss as much as she used to, but it would be nice to actually be able to like and sympathize with her.

I don't really see that as character assassination at all, since one of the few consistent things about her is that she's always been partial to Danny. She brought the DNA to him first in RSRD, when she should have taken it right to Mac. She covered for him in "All in the Family." She defended him when he stayed home with the "blue flu" in "The Party's Over." So her covering for him with the badge seemed to be more of the same, at least to me.

Wow, that name might be worse than Summer Hamilton and Haylen Becall combined!! :lol: Wikipedia is woefully inaccurate sometimes.

Exactly. Anyone who started watching the show at the tail end of season three or later wouldn't see her as much else. Aside from "Redemptio," has there even been another reference to her past since season three? And the one in "Redemptio" is one only people familiar with the details of the earlier stuff would have caught.

5. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

Well there is a history of changing the name of the character, Summer Hamilton became Lindsay Hamilton and then became Lindsey Monroe. Kaye Sulliven to Haylen Bacall... Also the wikipedia article has now been changed to Detective ? for Sela's role.

Grissom was originally named Gil Scheinbaum. Also, Catherine Willows was going to be from Bozeman, but it was changed and she was born in Vegas. So I guess they decided to make Lindsay from Bozeman instead of Boise where she was originally supposed to be from.

6. danny-lindsay4e

danny-lindsay4e Witness

ohhhhhh i do love spoilers :) thanks for keeping us up to date your awesome :)

I can't wait to start seeing pictures though, I wonder how soon after start of filming we get to see them this time?

I've had a quick flick down the pages but I'll have a better look when I have more time. Alot of people are hoping this Lindsay story sticks for a few episodes (I'm really glad Anna is getting a story without it been about Danny also) but saying that I think we will see pissed, angry, moody, snapping at people Lindsay at the start of episode 1 but by the end I reckon we will see her finally break down and cry with Danny and that be that.

Stella?? well I said this before I reckon she's not dead (like some sites say) I think it's more likely she got a job offer like Mac'S head up her own team :) we might get "how's stella settling in?" or "heard from stel? how's the new job?" kinda line in the first episode but not much more without her been around.

New lady and names?? well if others are to go by I'll wait til episode 1 or at least after filming starts and see what it is. Her name can change god knows how many times before anything is even film.

Thanks again can't wait for more :)

7. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

I could see this, and I'd say it's one of the dangers they should stay away from... but I know I sometimes find it neat when Langston said something very Grissom-esque, yet it sounded completely different than the way I'd imagine Grissom saying it. If just the tone of the character is different, I think the character can also manage to come across as someone different -- however, I agree that there shouldn't be too many of Jo's characteristics that cross with Stella's (especially since she is, or will likely be seen as, the direct replacement of her). I'm fine with the teasing and the butting-heads even, but, ie, I don't think I'd want to see her play the "mom" or "big sister" figure, because imo that was Stella's. I think I'd feel like it was crossing a line.

Everything that was in her character leading up to the dark storyline was still in S4. (Even written: "I'm not good at this kind of thing", admitted to Mac no less, which I give the writers credit for though they still limited it to DL.) They dropped a lot of the development from the storyline after it was done -- though Anna Belknap herself didn't -- but that's why I said "the one and a half" season of independent development. I also might give the dropping more weight if the same thing hadn't happened to six-sevenths of the cast/team.

However, her development outside of the DL storyline was worlds more consistent, and discernable, and interesting, than her development within that storyline has ever been from beginning to now. So that's not what's discernable about her character. At least not back then. She spent less than an hour's worth of onscreen-time with him in S2, S3, and S4 combined (when not just working, I mean), so the idea that it would be is odd to me, but again, ymmv.

Those are the exact scenes I mentioned, aren't they? Yes they were the emotional climax. She laid out to Stella what had happened in that scene in the office - which yes, explained a lot about why she's always been so weird around people (much earlier than S3). That first trial scene was just flat-out i ntense, with the half-testimony mixed with the flashbacks to that night and all. I liked the performances; I still don't believe anyone who went through that would ever become a cop, but if they did, I easilyy believed they'd be as damaged as Lindsay seemed up till then.

If you mean the morgue scene, it was fine, but I certainly wouldn't call it the reveal since it revealed...well, nothing. That she'd witnessed a crime, yeah, but given that she witnesses crimes every day, I couldn't see what the big drama was for till she later mentioned they were her friends, and the crime was from her childhood.* And I don't know, I still don't like that scene. I get that they were trying to reveal the whole thing in bits and pieces -- but that backstory itself still comes off as OTT dramatic and Mary-Sue-ish to me, and I largely blame that scene. Can't shake my first impression of it.

*To be fair, I wasn't watching the show regularly first couple of times I saw this ep. I don't remember how many of the eps leading up to it I'd seen, but I know I hadn't seen Oedipus Hex yet, and I think that's the only one which directly hints at the backstory.

I'd agree with this, only it seems to be done a lot on this show (ie, heavy emphasis on Adam being beaten in S3 dropped entirely, from 4.01; Danny's grief over Louie apparently vanishing til three years later; Flack nearly blown in half in S2 yet not even flinching when the next bomb goes off less than a year later...] It shows more that if "all's well that ends well" at the end of the episode, that means the same thing for the storyline.

As a fan, I usually have a good idea of how Lindsay will react to certain situations. It's something I actually complained about with S6 -- I've only ever been "wtf" over two of her decisions before. And hell, even with both, I can in theory see how they might've made sense to her, being who she is; they just weren't the choices I'd've expected her to make.

That's character. There's no way to feel like TPTB nearly committed character-assassination if the girl doesn't have a character. Also, on being written a certain way to accommodate a storyline, then changing with the next...I think that might describe over half the characters on the show, and that includes even Mac :lol: At least lately; it didn't always used to be so.

Well anyway :p My main point is and was, "The World According To..." is a fun game, but it doesn't actually explain why TPTB are letting Lindsay have a storyline now, and why they haven't for a while.

I'm actually not sure she should do anything at all different. Like any other actor/actress, she does her job her way, and people like it, and people don't. For someone who likes it, it's hard not to be hoping for the story alone to be good. I won't be happy if they do the same thing they did in S3 with Danny playing white knight or something as ridiculous; coming on the back of Vacation Getaway, ick. Danny should have his own issues in dealing with this. I'll admit I'm wary; their track record isn't the greatest on not making storylines all about DL, but I'm looking forward to it all the same.

It definitely came close to character assassination. The far more consistent thing about her is that she's been steadfastly by-the-book. She reported Flack to Mac about the coke thing in "Consequences". She argued with Stella over what evidence was saying in "Open and Shut" (and we know that wasn't personal, because the last time Stella had a feeling that contradicted evidence [Wasted], Lindsay went back to the scene to look for evidence that might support Stella's theory). Hawkes is one of the people she's closest to on the team, yet she seemed to take Mac's side in "Murder Sings the Blues" over the phone number. When she steps away from the line jobwise (herself, or even through Danny like in All in the Family), we either see her try to make things right or she gets reprimanded. Not as harshly as she could be, but it is still made clear that she's in the wrong, and she seems to take it to heart.

It wasn't made clear here. And yes, she has that unhealthy tendency to cover for Danny alone, but it's one thing to cover a shift or defend him -- or even to pass on DNA results (against the rules, but I doubt she would've handed them over, even for him, if she was less than 100% certain they'd be going directly to Mac anyway). It's a different thing to hide the fact that a police badge is in the hands of a serial killer for him. I didn't think her by-the-bookness would let that pass. And when it apparently did, I thought for sure Mac or someone would be tearing her a new one, so she'd at least learn the lesson, third time being the strikeout and all.

Like I said up-post, I can in theory see how the decision might've made sense to her, which is what stops it from being completely :scream:, but it was still crap. I get using one trait to make a storyline work, but if they have to start stomping on other previously-established trait to keep it working, yeah, that's a problem.

"Pay Up", freezing at the bloodstain on the diner floor. Additionally, all the things said in that round-robin in Redemptio are things only people familiar with details from earlier seasons would catch. With the majority of them, actually, people would have to be familiar not just with earlier seasons, but with specific moments and/or episodes from those seasons.

8. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

Just got back from vacation and stopped by for news and see the spoiler for seven is out will comment briefly and return for a more in depth analysis when I have scrolled through others responses:)
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Looks like we are off to a good start!!:lol: Must say I was at times square and went to the CBS store "going out of business" sale, grabbed me a CSINY Tshirt before CSINY is no more!!:lol:

9. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Ooh, here's a bit more info about the premiere. As always, spoilers are rumors and are subject to change, yadda yadda :D:
    ~ The episode starts the night Shane was in the Messer apartment. I'm not sure if they'll show the shooting itself (it is very possible that they will). I do know that Shane is wheeled out in a body bag while Lindsay is sitting in the back of an ambulance. Danny is comforting Lucy. Mac makes his way through the crowd of cops, comes up to Lindsay and hugs her without saying anything.

~ We then skip forward five months to a press conference where Lindsay (in her dress blues) is receiving her medal from the Chief of Department (James Sheehan). Mac is standing with them, and Danny, Flack, Sid, Hawkes and Adam are in the crowd. Danny smiles at Lindsay, and she smiles back. Sheehan gives the Combat Cross to Mac, who puts it around Lindsay's neck. Mac is proud, and Lindsay smiles, but she seems troubled.

~ For those who might be curious, Lindsay is called 'Lindsay Monroe Messer' during the ceremony.

~ Sela Ward's character is named Josephine (Jo) Danville. She is described as being in her mid-40s and elegant (and stunning, of course ;)). We first see her when she's heading down the sidewalk, trying to hail a cab so she can get to the crime lab. A guy comes up to her and tries to hit on her, but she's not having any of it.​

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  10. PerfectAnomaly

I get that they have to set up that Lindsay is having problems with the shooting and the medal, but showing the medal ceremony still makes me want to vomit. :rolleyes:

ETA: Plus it seems like we'll have to take non-verbal cues from Anna as to what Lindsay is thinking and feeling. That doesn't bode well since the only thing she's been able to pull off in 5 years on the show is the "scrunch face." :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  11. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

Do we really need to watch the medal ceremony?:wtf:

Anna Belknap generally isn't good with this kind of material.

12. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

I am sort of glad it sounds like they'll make an effort to pick off where they left off. When I head we were once again jumping months ahead I was afraid we'd never see Shane again.

It's also interesting that they're rewarding her five months after the incident. I do sort of hope the medal ceremony is about 30 seconds though. I think it's sort of odd though that Lindsay hyphenated her name rather than either leaving it alone or changing it.

I think at some point there was a dead woman with the surname of Danville. I forget which episode it was, I think it was a while back.

13. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

^^ I doubt they remember if they've used the name Danville before, especially for a one-off character. I mean, they did give Danny's daughter the same name as the woman who shot Ruben, so...

Using Google, I found that Miami, NY and CSI have all used the last name Danville at least once. The NY example was in "Zoo York". (Miami was "Shock" and CSI was "Double-Cross".)

14. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

Erm, so why is Lindsay being honored as if this were an on-duty act when she was in bed in her nightclothes and shot Shane deader than shit and sheetrock in her underpants? If cops got medals for popping perps in their skivvies, then Stella should have received a medal for capping Frankie in her living room.

15. PerfectAnomaly

Exactly. But Lindsay has always been the special snowflake of the group so when she does it the world must celebrate. I assume that Shane being a serial killer will have something to do with it, but still, it makes no sense that she'd get a medal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.