Season 7 Spoiler Discussion - Welcome back to the Big Apple!

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

It may be less about Lindsay and be more about Shane, who twice escaped from jail/prison and upon his third arrest escaped again and evaded capture and each time he was out left more people dead. They were probably all so thrilled that he's dead and can no longer cause chaos.

2. Railynn

Railynn Rookie

While I totally agree that Lindsay doesnt deserve a medal for what she did, I bet the department is giving her one becasue she shot Shane Casey, someone the NYPD despartely wanted to put back behind bars, so I think their doing it for the press than anything else, trying ot show NYC that no one escape the NYPD and gets away with it blah blah blah... thats my opinion anyways...

I just wish we would get to see Danny and/or Flack all dressed up in their dress blues, now that would be a hot scene!!! hehe :drool:

3. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

Agree with the first point. If they've decided to give her the material, do it well. I'm skeptical. But we'll see. Fair shot for AB at something more than the usual. (I humbly double toucan dare her to impress me and win me over :p). The second point you made is part of the bigger issue I'm having.

Lindsay would not be involved at all, not with the badge nor with the shooting, but for Danny, and Casey stalking him. Casey even let Lindsay and Lucy go at the top of the lighthouse. (He musta suffered uber grievous "stolen faith" by Messer, to undertake origami, laundry, not to mention swim all the way back to Manhattan to stage a home invasion while still f*cking dripping wet :lol:). How do you possibly separate Lindsay and Danny in the aftermath?

Because she's the one who shot Casey? (Are we really back to some implied evaluation on who's authorized to carry a firearm?) Who knows if other factors will be revealed from the shooting. (eg. was Lucy hurt, etc). Either way. Their home, their child. They may have different issues, but they are inextricably tied. What the wonders of DL will do for you.

Whether this counselling and medal was always intended for starting S7 off or whether this is a more condensed version of earlier plans deriving from before MK's departure, who knows. Lindsay shooting Casey makes sense. Many people (whether correct or not) read the finale that way anyways. Danny getting little to do at any point along the way, and being (potentially) unaffected by all that's happened does not.

F*ck the badge. F*ck the medal. They're both equally contrived as vehicles in setting up and wrapping the storyline.

Jeezuz. What a cliffhanger :lol:. ...sigh. :p

(If that's further the most substantial thing AB's given to play this season, be it confined to one ep or given a longer arc, it would seem to be something that does in fact tie back into DL and DLL :p).

I so mourn the brief period between S4 and S5, where it was indicated that separate paths had been planned for them.

Well, I wasn't disappointed in Lindsay as a character so much as by how the show dealt with the entirety of the premise they built up. Lindsay, like Danny, was essentially a tool of the (so-called) plot. Both knew better. Both made a choice. Flack called him on it, Stella called neither on it. Disappointed in Lindsay in particular? :borg::lol:. No. Not unless I also include Danny, even mebbe Flack, Stella, and the implication that Mac too should have said something once aware. Disappointed and wanting grab and vigorously shake the "well-earned" Vacation Getaway that followed by the lapels :lol:

Somewhat unconvinced. I think Stella called her on it, with the S3 "clearly I made the mistake of trying to be your friend here, so now I'm gonna be your boss," for example.

Why shouldn't there be a difference of approach or philosophy between Mac and the "new woman," an experienced investigator with an established career and methodology and a penchance for empathy. That she has her own mind and will stand up for herself does not make her a carbon copy of Stella.

Why not? It's been three months. Well. Who knows how long she's been there, granted. But some folk do have banter as a large part of their genre of interaction. As you yourself noted, Danny has been an example of that. (I suppose that makes Jo a carbon copy of Messer too...? :p)

This too, however, really sounds a way to indicate that there's some Sekrit Adam has. Perhaps he is finally going to get a bit more than casual attention.

Adam has primarily been comic relief and plot kicker thru processing discovery. Ditto Sid. Both were also recurring characters who were added to the main roster contractually, tho still neither appears in every episode. It's not surprising to me that they get less material and are more specifically used. I really enjoyed what Bob Joy got to play in an ep like Point of No Return. AJ Buckley stands out no matter how much or how little they give him. While he has had eps where he's been included in field processing and the S5 ep with the kid (Party's Over?) I do hope he too might get a little more to do this season.

Adam being insecure feels overworked. Adam's sensitivity and humor, and Buckley's comedic skills are more than welcome by me to continue. I suppose I might be happier if Adam's insecurity stemmed more from being dismayed a secret might no longer be a secret, and less about fearing a pink slip.

Danny being in early stages of physical recovery when Casey returned would have been an fantastic element to factor in. Those kind of stakes, especially with Lucy made part of the drama, would have been far more immediate and powerful. Far, far better than playing irrelevant 10% -to- shufflewaltzing in 3 eps.

Hmm. A wee bit of past present-tense before skipped to present-tense. Honestly wasn't expecting that.

In a way I think I'd have preferred the ep to start outright with counselling and a dramatic medal tossing. Cut to the chase as it were. Wouldna lost anything for it.

This could be really difficult to stomach if the show devotes more than one ep to unspoken internal woes. Do not want troubled, silently suffering Monroe until breaking point X is reached.

Wait, whut? ...There's a ceremony? ...:censored: ...Of course there's a ceremony. No one in the history of the six years on the show, after all they've done and been thru, got a medal or a ceremony. Nor have there been any services for those lost. If w're lucky we might get a "gee I wish Stel coulda been here." But Monroe gets a medal and a ceremony.

A medal was unpalatable on it's own. Time for an award ceremony feels gratuitous.

If only I could believe that departmental and civic politics with regards to a high profile criminal case were truly going to be written as a factor in all this, and demonstrated in ceremony. But I'm thinking the show is going to be earnestly sincere in depicting Monroe as a Troubled Hero.

Being shovel fed her uberawesomeosity is not welcome.

Using Mac to wield the shovel is not welcome. Inserting a DL exchanged smile is not welcome. Extended unspoken internal woes and future tantrums using said combat cross is not welcome.

I'm hoping that the fact her issues have been going on for five months may mean we're all the closer to having all this wrapped up. But. Spending time on a ceremony, past and present tenses, while still having a case on the floor below may indicate this is to be an ongoing multi ep thing. Joy and bliss.

Shane Casey was malevolent in S3. He was a bouncy cartoon character in S5. I suppose here the hero is truly as good as her villain counterpart. Medal ceremony. My ass.

...deep breath and sigh. :vulcan:

There's a sudden feeling of regression descending here.

Sela Ward and Jo Danville are very, very welcome.

No Kelly Montaleone then. Dat's a relief. Mighta fit well had Mac remained Rick Carlucci or whatever, but :lol:. Jo Danville works.

I very much want to like this character. I'm very much looking forward to seeing her on the team. She's very very welcome. ...did I say that already? Lucky bastard, she apparently doesn't hafta sit thru a medal ceremony :p.

Wonder how long it's implied she's been with the team, if she wasn't in fact there for it.

Thanks Fay for spoilers :)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  4. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

That sounds kind of sweet. :)

Nice name. :thumbsup: LOL at the part about the guy trying to hit on her and her not putting up with it. I think I like her already! :D

5. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Yay Lindsay with a medal! I think that scene will be awesome! I wish Chief Sinclair is giving her the medal and not a never-been-heard-of chief.

Josephine Danville - a kick-ass classy name. Excited to meet her!

6. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

I don't know how they'll handle it. Going only from the few spoilers we have (thanks, Faylinn, btw! :)).

But if, as strongly hinted, she hasn't let Danny in on whatever her issues over this are, it's likely 'cause she feels they're her issues to work through, not his. As such, I'd prefer she handle them on her own, rather than dumping them on Danny for him to work through for her. One of those issues may well be that she resents Danny for just what you mentioned -- she wouldn't be involved at all if not for him and his badge, and Shane going stalker.

And if so, that would be something she should work through on her own, because it may have been Danny's badge, but it was her who decided she was more obligated to him than to NYPD. Yes we're back, not to the shooting (I won't speculate on it till we know whether Lindsay had to shoot to kill, or not), but to the badge.

I know it was Danny's issue. I know if anyone should've reported it, it absolutely was him, and it should be him dealing with serious fallout from all this. But I also know that, though he didn't appreciate her pushing him on the issue, I certainly didn't see him forcing her to keep quiet. At most they would've fought if she'd reported it herself, while not reporting it enabled Shane to come after Danny, then Lucy, and then she had to kill him. That whole cost-benefit ratio? Yes, I could easily see how it might prey on her, and how it'd be her issue if it does. That's how you separate them. It was Danny's badge, Danny's issue, but there's nothing to indicate he's directly responsible if she now feels she should've done things differently. And 'inextricably tied' doesn't have to mean 'all your issues belong to me' even in more functional marriages.:lol:

Wellll.....the actual killing-issue itself is something I think has very little to do with a should-she-shouldn't-she psych eval, tbh; I think regardless of whether Lindsay had one or not, killing Shane (or anyone) is something that would've become her own issue no matter what. NY CSIs are more used to carrying guns than LV's, but it's not like it's Criminal Minds. They don't end up killing the perp at the end of half the episodes. Up to now, the four people we've seen kill someone are the four most used to the shootout scenes (Mac, Stella, Flack, and Danny). And while not all of them have gotten an eval after the matter, three of the four could probably have used it, since even they were left shaken by it (Stella: Frankie; Flack: gangster in Snow Day plus Simon Cade; Danny: Minhas and Little Stevie in Point of No Return).

And Mac's was by accident (the guy in Snow Day walking into his bomb. I don't think if there's been anyone else. I don't think he killed the guy he was in a shootout with in Uncertainty Rules), though being a former Marine he may have been able to handle it better.

Anyway, not being one of the four most used to the shootout scene, I honestly don't see how Lindsay would escape having an issue over killing Shane -- regardless of who Shane was in her apartment for.

Definitely agree on the 'well-earned' part :lol: Yeah, the storyline was seriously mishandled by everyone on all fronts, and it’s not helped by not knowing who knew what, and when. I do hold Flack somewhat accountable for knowing beforehand too – but while Flack knew about the badge being gone, we don’t actually know when he found out Shane had it. He may have found out with the others (who found out after Shane had already staged his jailbreak, anyway).

True; but then, this time it could actually go somewhere, like I was kind of hoping Stella's setdown in Silent Night would...I mean, I think Stella called her on it, but in several ways I also think Lindsay did just what she'd been trying to do: deflected the personal questioning.

7. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

The intro of Jo Danville (I don't know why but it sounds like Deville:lol::lol:) sounds REALLY interesting to me:bolian:. I don't think they will try to replace Stella but we need a character equally interesting as she was:)
    And i hope she has some characteristics in common with Stell and at the same time completely different ones:bolian: I have liked Sela for years since she was on Sisters (Teddy!) now so i think she is going to be a new addition to the show:bolian:

8. JoeyDC

JoeyDC Rookie

So I'm not the only one from beautiful Boston ;). I'm all up for the idea of yours! That would be the only reason why that ridiculous story line would make me wanna watch.

9. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

I'm not saying she shouldn't have issues, and especially not that she should dump them on Danny or anyone else to "solve." Any more than I'd say Danny should dump his on Lindsay to solve.

I'm saying I would find it difficult to accept that Danny is not in some way a part of whatever issues she's having, however she may choose to deal with them or deny their presence to whomever is asking. I'm having trouble in that Danny here should be part of the issues (if they stem from the Casey story as opposed to her past), and also have some of his own, which in turn involve her as well. They were all in the same room when the shooting went down, in a scenario that wouldn't have happened if Danny weren't Casey's focus. How Lindsay can have issues from the shooting and not touch on that in some fashion I do not know. How the follow up for each can be wholly isolated from one another, I do not know. Add into the mix that there's little indication Danny is part of any aspect of a plotline that revolved around him, and I'm a little bit perplexed and :wtf::lol:

In a way I think I would have preferred that when Lindsay got a chance to play a more susbtantial storyline, that it was completely her own, and did not in fact tie back into DL, instead of one that directly does, while only giving one half their due. Meh. I do also understand the opportunities that lie in the cliffhanger they set up; it's hard to think either wouldn't be getting some material as a result - but it feels inexcusable should it turns out that only one does. I suppose it does depend on what the Issuez turn out to be.

I do think it would be perfectly reasonable for Lindsay to resent the danger that interrupted their vacation and invaded their home. Especially as he also suggested they go on with the vacation whereas she had hesitated. I think anyone would be shaken by having their child in the middle of it. And I also think it would be reasonable for Danny to feel guilty and responsible for the same reasons.

Because of the extended set up and how VacayGetaway played out, they should both be having related issues. I find the fact he's all but anonymous and still not mentioned beyond smiling in a medal ceremony for an emoting and troubled, special Lindsay, grating. Sue me :p:lol:

I'm also not stuck on the badge. Not anymore. Said it before I'll say it again. F*ck both the badge and the medal at this point. Equally contrived and apparently only selectively important to TPTB in the set up and wrap up of the Casey bruha.

And while one might expect a certain All Ur Issuez Belong To Us in a relationship, that in itself does not preclude different views on events anyone shares while part of one. Indeed it's also reasonable to understand that one might not easily talk to the other if they feel they are part of the issues they're having. It's reasonable to show them coping separately, to a point. It's less reasonable to show only one affected at all.

I don't see the badge as the sole and determining factor on who should feel what. It should be a critical point but the show didn't treat it that way. Hence part of my frustration with how Casey was used in bringing him back, and how the arc and cliffhanger left me blinking and unimpressed. If Casey saying "I'm Officer Messer" at the end of Redemptio had meant anything at all, Casey would have been tracked down sooner, or Messer and the dept. would have at the very least clued in a helluva lot sooner. Shoehorned to fit around a Lighthouse of Doom scenario. When the team did figure out the plot, the f*cking badge had nothing to do with it :brickwall::lol:. His service number folded into origami or whathaveyou will tip the balance, but a stolen badge and fingerprints didn't? Cryptic for it's own sake much? Exasperating much :lol:. If I think about it too much again I'm gonna toss my coffee mug across the room :p.

I'm saying that given what the storyline was about, I see potential issues as related and integrated, and yet I've no doubt that they would each have a different take on what happened, and new set of baggage to lug around, being on flip sides of the Casey Coin. I also don't think that means they can't have their own Paths To Resolution that run both parallel and also intersect. But ya cannot tell me the (likely) Issuez pushing their respective paths aren't tied.

-

I also think anyone woulda shot an armed intruder in their apartment. Part of my problem may be that we've still not yet seen the shooting, nor Casey being uberevil. We've seen nothing at all. Comparing that to all the other shootouts the show's had over the years, and trying to reconcile one we've not seen being singled out for a medal ceremony elicits another wry sigh from me. Obliged to blindly swallow it for a plot point and manner to wrap up a cliff hanger.

If I'm gonna feel anything for Lindsay, I'm gonna hafta at least know how things went down. But show me the evil uber villain being overcome, what Lindsay in particular overcame to be so recognized. Child and home invasion as part of the mix, sure. They spent how long bringing Casey back. And now what. We're gonna get it told, if at all, thru flashbacks and counselling. The last time we had to rely on an after the fact peeling back of layers to reveal what was troubling Lindsay was not terribly moving (to me).

Mebbe I'll be slightly mollified when we discover precisely what her issues are. And all that's contributed to them. I suppose TPTB would be delighted to hear me express even that much interest :lol:. Bastards :lol:. Not looking forward to it though.

Regardless of often being used in various shootouts, I honestly don't see how Danny isn't getting some focus in a multi-ep built up cliff-hanger'd storyline wot seemingly revolved around the past interaction he had with Shane Casey.

I suppose I'm also having grit with the fact I don't think the show woulda given any other character a bloody medal for shooting Casey. I think a medal's in the offing here precisely because it's Lindsay. And also so she'll be able to toss it in the trash. In any other circumstance, can ya (honestly) imagine someone else on the team getting an award for it?

(Epsisode time devoted to a ceremony to boot? There's no other way to further demonstrate a discrepancy between how the world views the Casey incident and how Lindsay apparently does? Feels like a mallet to me. Guess we'll see).

I agree she would have issues for the shoot in their home with their child. I admit I'm also curious exactly what her issues are. My grit remains: WTF for Danny thru the whole bloody f*cking arc. :shifty::vulcan: :censored: :p

Well. In a way it did come to something. She told Stella about the trial. The first half was typical Lindsay as you describe. The second half was her actually opening up a bit and explaining before going back to Montana. I could see a similar progression here. It's more a question of whether the show will have her cracking or if she'll choose more specifically when and who to talk to.

10. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

?:wtf:? :lol::lol::lol:
    I wonder if the person who wrote this will be the leader of the brass band that will be playing:lol: Get ready for season seven cause whom ever is in the driver seat is taking this series start to HE**!!:lol:

WOW!!!:eek: I wonder if she will get a medal!!:lol:

11. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

I'm sure she will be a Detective, not a lab tech.

12. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

I was being sarcastic.:)

13. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

Sorry, it was not obvious the way it was written. It's harder to read sarcasm sometimes than it is to hear it.

14. Ballettmaus

Ballettmaus Hit and Run

I'm not saying there shouldn't be differences, just saying that they could make things a little different.
    You don't have to make everything as it was before, right? So, it doesn't have to be SW who's arguing with Mac but with someone else. They've got a new character, use it as new.
    Making her have differences with Mac and making her empathetic doesn't exactly make her "new", in my opinion.
    Of course, it'll all depend on what they do with her but it's already a similar approach. It can turn out different, it can turn out the same but from what I've seen so far how replacements have been handled...

You're words not mine.
    I never said anything about anyone being a copy. I was merely pointing out what the other side of that new character could be. Because I don't want her to be similar. I don't want another Stella on the show. She's gone. I want that new character to be new and from what we've heard so far it can still go either way.

You're stating one possibility, I'm stating the other.

However, I don't think you can deny that a) Stella was empathetic, b) she was flirtatious with Adam and teasing him (at least until the beginning of season 6...) and c) she had arguments with Mac and disagreed on him how to handle cases.
    They gave all of that to SW while there are many characters they could have given it to instead. (not the empathy, certainly, but that could have been done without, too)

15. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Nothing we didn't already know, obviously, but there you go. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.