Kanakaredes Leaves 'New York'

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Blinded By Smoke

Blinded By Smoke Pathologist

I know I posted on the NY forum, but reading all of these comments, we can safely say no one seen this coming. I'm in total shock. I expected to see Eddie Cibrian (Well, a leading male) let go, since the Miami team was quite bloated and I didn't think they'd take out a female and leave all of the male stars. I didn't expect Liz, but she wasn't a leading lady... NOt saying she wasn't great, or important, because she was... I'm just saying I am in agreement with you guys, I don't feel NY can survive this. And it's going to be so sad to see one of these CSI shows go off the air. It's depressing. With Melinda gone, and no chance (at this point) of us even seeing a fair 'send off'... how are the long time fans of the show (like myself) supposed to deal? Typically, they will at least TRY and work something out to write them off, despite the situation... (I.E. Gary/Warrick on CSI).

I'm still in shock. I am going to miss her dearly. She was my favorite on NY. And I was a HUGE Mac/Stella fan as well. :(

2. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

:wtf:?I'm in huge shock.:eek:

3. electra

electra Pathologist

So first Aiden,then Angell and now Stella.What does NY has against strong female leads? I do like the CSI formula and I have tried to like NY but I need something better then Lindsay to relate.I wish Stella can come to Vegas and have my powerful duo.

4. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

The writing was on the wall for Eddie/Jesse the minute it was announced that Adam/Eric was returning full time. If Jesse dies via the cliffhanger, then I'd say that it was planned that way a long time ago. The timing is suspect. They announced his exit right after that Criminal Minds shakeup and they did this so they could say to critics calling them sexist, "hey, look, we got rid of a guy too, so we're not sexist". But Eddie's departure was already in the works long before Liz and AJ were let go and Paget had her screentime reduced and now this thing with Melina.

Sure, it was ultimately Melina's decision to not renew her contract, but toward the end of last season she was talking about how happy she was with the show and her character and how much she loved doing it... and then suddenly this? Yeah, something smells fishy to me. I do believe the initial reports about them asking her to take a paycut. If that's the case and she decided not to return because she didn't think it was right that she'd have to take a paycut, then I say more power to her. I too probably would have told them to "take this job and shove it" if I'd been in her position.

5. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

I for sure wasn't expecting Melina to leave the show....I mean there was no hinting she was gonna quit.

I'm really afraid that lots of fans are gonna stop watching the show because of her departure, not that I was that interested in it but I can see where they'll come from.

As for the reason why she left the show I'm afraid we haven't been given the real reason, but oh well this is not time for speculation.

I just wish her the best :thumbsup:

6. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Exactly. There was no doubt Jesse was toast the minute they announced Delko was coming back.

I think you're right GNRF. I think the timing of all of these announcements was very carefully crafted to allow CBS to point to Cibrian and be able to say, "We also let a guy go. So you can't call us sexist."

I know. Cibrian was also very positive about his character and what was in his future. So I believe that neither Melina or Eddie believed they wouldn't be here for the up coming season.

I think Eddie was canned because Rodriguez was able to squirm him way back in after finding out that he over estimated his marketability and Melina walked away because she wasn't going to take a pay cut (good for her). Melina won't have any problems finding roles. She's extremely talented. I haven't decided yet whether I'll be watching NY without Melina, but I'm thinking probably not. She was my favorite NY character.

NY is extremely lucky to have Sela Ward joining the cast. As a Miami fan I really wish we could have a lead actress of her calibur on the show. With an actress of with her talent, versatility, and complete professionalism as our lead actress, we just might be able bring the show back from the brink of total and complete boredom. :(

7. Propto

Propto Dead on Arrival

WOW! WOW!
    I'm shocked.

I never see that coming, she is one of the strongest characters! I'm gonna miss her.

8. Axatullux

Axatullux Lab Technician

You know, I've been noticing a pattern of incredibly misogyny on this show, much more so than the others but all of them seem to be exhibiting it but especially CSI:NY.

"All Access" was the first example, the way they pointlessly turned Stella's supposed boyfriend into a psycho when they could've instead made it so that he was involved in some kind of racketeering or other fraud but when Stella is endangered because of this, he goes out of his way, takes a bullet and is paralyzed from the waist down while protecting Stella. Stella breaks up with him, thanking him but also telling him he'll have to face the consequences of what he had done and Frankie goes out in shame.

The second was the HIV-Scare which bothered me tremendously especially the dubious nature of the way she was potentially exposed considering how rare it is to become infected via this route. The story was also poorly written out too although the episodes weren't necessarily affected much.

Now a hot and marvelous potential lady character Jessica Angell who I thought was far better developed than Lindsay was killed off in "Pay Up", geesh! It just never ended at all. What do these people have against strong female leads. Hell, sure I have my other side who is a fan of damsels-in-distress but even that side got offended by the way the misogyny had reared it's ugly head.

Now that Melina has left the building and gotten on another train, I wonder if she had seen that CSI:NY was becoming and combined with facing another pay cut after another, she finally pulled the plug on the show. If so, then I can't say I blame her one bit.

I'm still reeling over the news, not to mention sick at the possibility that they could even kill Stella off, but until Melina reappears in future projects, it has gone from Goddess Melina to Mad Max Beyond Kanakaredes.

The CSI era of the 2000s was a really fun, sexy, and adventurous ride but with the new decade, the changing of TV-Guards is at hand and new shows will now have to fill in the roles CSI once had.

AU-Stella will live on regardless of what happens on 7.01 but even though I don't deny Sela Ward's talent, (Not too familiar with her thought), I doubt even she will convince me to stay.